Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For people who were looking for good gaming laptops under $1000, Walmart has this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Y...15GUS/921861606

2060 and an i7 9750 w 16GB of ram for $900. Not top end but real good bang for the buck. I have a hunch these kinds of deals are going to become more scarce for a while. Be very careful with the hinges on these Lenovos, though. Sorry to, uh, rub in the cheap US prices hreple.

hreple posted:

Would really love to hear more about the 17» hate if you have the time. Ive just been assuming Id see more enemies / whatever on a larger screen. I do sit in a sofa with a laptop support underneath, so not overly afraid of the size but could I be super-wrong?

Weight and for whatever reason that size tips it into a place where balance is now an issue. In some fairness I like to use my laptops on my lap/couch/recliner and the 17" was just a bear to find a good spot. I even used a lap table and even that was annoying with the 17in because movement was amplified. Like I said, it is a personal preference though. I found with my face being as close to a laptop as it usually is the extra size just didn't translate like it does on a desktop. I'm now using a 14" screen and adore it, when a few years ago I went out of my way for a 17". :shrug:

The other thing is I typically do not pamper my things. A 17" laptop really felt more likely to break or have hinge problems when I grab it one handed or give is a toss to the other side of the couch, things like that. Combine that with the extra power that goes into a 17" screen I like to give people a "You Sure That's What You Want"? They definitely have fans and an audience though so it all comes down to the individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hreple posted:

Would really love to hear more about the 17» hate if you have the time. Ive just been assuming Id see more enemies / whatever on a larger screen. I do sit in a sofa with a laptop support underneath, so not overly afraid of the size but could I be super-wrong?

You aren't actually going to see more on the larger screen. What you see will just be bigger.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
I just bought a Dell XPS prebuilt, since that's the only reliable way to get something with a discrete GPU right now. i5-10400, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1660 Super. $600 + tax, already on its way.

Then I saw, this guy for $699 + tax after coupon code: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Nitro-5-15-6-Intel-Core-i5-9300H-2-4GHz-16GB-Ram-1TB-HDD-256GB-SSD-W10H/265020201929

Am I wrong in thinking that, for games, this laptop will be about as fast as the desktop is? I don't really value the portability of it but I wouldn't kick a 144Hz monitor out of bed.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

stellers bae posted:

I just bought a Dell XPS prebuilt, since that's the only reliable way to get something with a discrete GPU right now. i5-10400, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1660 Super. $600 + tax, already on its way.

Then I saw, this guy for $699 + tax after coupon code: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Nitro-5-15-6-Intel-Core-i5-9300H-2-4GHz-16GB-Ram-1TB-HDD-256GB-SSD-W10H/265020201929

Am I wrong in thinking that, for games, this laptop will be about as fast as the desktop is? I don't really value the portability of it but I wouldn't kick a 144Hz monitor out of bed.

Looks like you could get a refurbished desktop with a 2060 on Dell outlet

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

stellers bae posted:

Acers are total crap. The i5 10400 is a better cpu than the 9300. The 1660Super vs the 2060MaxQ is kind of a push. I'm betting that acer thermal throttles the 2060 though.

Don't buy that laptop.

The $900 one I posted above is a better comparison. CPUs are closer, thermal throttling in the laptop is decent, laptop has 16GB of RAM which is nice. 2x HDD. I'd say for an extra $200 the laptop has real nice value, but it all depends on the budget.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I know nothing about gateway much less refurb gateways but here's a i5 10300 w/ a 2060 and 8GB of ram for under $600:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14829853-r...g?src=frontpage

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Lockback posted:

I know nothing about gateway much less refurb gateways but here's a i5 10300 w/ a 2060 and 8GB of ram for under $600:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14829853-r...g?src=frontpage

OOS :(

Thanks for the tip about the Acer too Lockback

If you're willing to go refurb, this seems like a good deal w/ 2 year warranty: $749 with PREZDAY20 coupon code. i7-10750H, 16GB, 2060

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-81Y...yIAAOSwytZgIrNL

stellers bae fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 10, 2021

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I don't have much experience and i'm trying to decide between 2 laptops with near identical pricepoints, lenovo legion Intel Core i7-10750H rtx 2600 ram 16gb, and asus zephyrus ryzen 4800HS gtx1660ti ram 32gb.
I'm trying to make a purchase that hopefully lasts a few years, will be using it for light work, (text processors and statistical programs mainly) and some gaming (not really into AAA games, would like to be able to play some upcoming fighting games like guilty gear strive and kof XV, and some Civ- and Xcom- like games, but was mostly doing fine with my old laptop with a 820m until it broke down).
Does any of them have a clear advantage? Also if there are better alternatives that suit my needs i'm also open to take another look. Thanks in advance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I don't have much experience and i'm trying to decide between 2 laptops with near identical pricepoints, lenovo legion Intel Core i7-10750H rtx 2600 ram 16gb, and asus zephyrus ryzen 4800HS gtx1660ti ram 32gb.
I'm trying to make a purchase that hopefully lasts a few years, will be using it for light work, (text processors and statistical programs mainly) and some gaming (not really into AAA games, would like to be able to play some upcoming fighting games like guilty gear strive and kof XV, and some Civ- and Xcom- like games, but was mostly doing fine with my old laptop with a 820m until it broke down).
Does any of them have a clear advantage? Also if there are better alternatives that suit my needs i'm also open to take another look. Thanks in advance.

Lenovo will have better graphics performance, Zeph will probably have better performance overall, better battery life, better build quality. Between the two I'd say the ROG is the better machine especially if you want something that will still be running well after a few years, with the caveat that higher end gaming will probably run better on the Lenovo due to the 2060. I think the 1660ti is a pretty decent graphics chip though.

Are you sure the ROG has 32GB of ram? I think you're talking about the G14/G15 both come with 16GB, though can be expanded to 32.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Lockback posted:

Lenovo will have better graphics performance, Zeph will probably have better performance overall, better battery life, better build quality. Between the two I'd say the ROG is the better machine especially if you want something that will still be running well after a few years, with the caveat that higher end gaming will probably run better on the Lenovo due to the 2060. I think the 1660ti is a pretty decent graphics chip though.

Are you sure the ROG has 32GB of ram? I think you're talking about the G14/G15 both come with 16GB, though can be expanded to 32.

Thanks for the answer, the asus is indeed G14, and the vendor lists it as 32gb, 1tb ssd space. There is another, cheaper, available with 16gb ram and 512gb space, but i figured the difference was worth it.
Perhaps i'm mistaken and would be better to upgrade on my own later and go with the cheaper version?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Thanks for the answer, the asus is indeed G14, and the vendor lists it as 32gb, 1tb ssd space. There is another, cheaper, available with 16gb ram and 512gb space, but i figured the difference was worth it.
Perhaps i'm mistaken and would be better to upgrade on my own later and go with the cheaper version?

Whats the price dif? For what you listed I don't expect you'll notice a lick of difference between 32 and 16GB of ram, depending on what kind of Statistical programs you are using. If you're doing large matlab transforms or big data stuff with R then you know if you'll need the extra RAM. The larger SSD is always better but that's another easy upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Depends on the ram configuration. Is that 16gb 8gb+8gb(soldered) or 16gb(soldered).

Because you do want dual channel.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The G14 is usually 8 + 8 (soldered). I don't know what the 32GB version is. I'd assume its 16 + 16

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I'm trying to look it up, but i'm not having luck, i'll try messaging the store.
I'm Eu, the difference it's about 400 €.
The cheaper version would suffice for my needs for now, the higher specs mostly to ensure a longer life, so it's the one i'm actually considering now.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm really liking the look of the Matebook 14. I'm a shallow person and looks are everything. The thin bezel and overall form factor seem good.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-MateBook-14-2020-laptop-review-3-2-clamshell-convinces-both-with-Intel-and-AMD-CPUs.508467.0.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9_DX9tbVxI

Does anyone have this one? Or, are there any fatal flaws that you know of (other than being spied on).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I'm trying to look it up, but i'm not having luck, i'll try messaging the store.
I'm Eu, the difference it's about 400 €.
The cheaper version would suffice for my needs for now, the higher specs mostly to ensure a longer life, so it's the one i'm actually considering now.

I think you could buy the extra ram and HDD for less than 400 Euros, and I am certain you could by the time that RAM would be something you'd care about. If you don't have that need today, I'd pay the tomorrow price for that instead of paying the today price and having that stuff sit unused.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lockback posted:

The G14 is usually 8 + 8 (soldered). I don't know what the 32GB version is. I'd assume its 16 + 16

For the 2020 version of the G14 they did have a SKU with 16GB soldered.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

I also went with the ROG G14 since it looks more professional and avoids gaming laptop hilarious cliches like putting LEDs on all the place.

The Legion is at least somewhat toned from visual design point of view compared to some of the more "Xtreme" gamer designs you see out there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
e: i'm an idiot

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 13, 2021

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Goon Hivemind: HALP!

Old warhorse ASUS laptop finally died this morning. Think it was a refurb from 2012, GeForce 700m graphics chip, could run Skyrim and other games from that era. Survived multiple drops, spills, screen held up by painters tape, etc. Long live the ASUS!

So in the market for a new something. Last few years only used laptop for general tasks as it was hooked up to the TV. Watching streams, word processing, photos, taxes, file management, occasional GeForce Now gaming. Most stuff is done on my phone or tablet now but really I don't feel comfortable being without a PC. I know nothing about the pc market anymore or cpus or graphics cards outside of the 3080 release being a bot loaded disaster. What are my best budget options? I mostly just want something reliable but would enjoy the option of light gaming such as running Demon Souls on RPCS3. I have a "need to talk purchases over with the wife" budget so like $500. Any help is appreciated.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ReverendDre posted:

Old warhorse ASUS laptop finally died this morning. Think it was a refurb from 2012, GeForce 700m graphics chip, could run Skyrim and other games from that era. Survived multiple drops, spills, screen held up by painters tape, etc. Long live the ASUS!

So in the market for a new something. Last few years only used laptop for general tasks as it was hooked up to the TV. Watching streams, word processing, photos, taxes, file management, occasional GeForce Now gaming. Most stuff is done on my phone or tablet now but really I don't feel comfortable being without a PC. I know nothing about the pc market anymore or cpus or graphics cards outside of the 3080 release being a bot loaded disaster. What are my best budget options? I mostly just want something reliable but would enjoy the option of light gaming such as running Demon Souls on RPCS3. I have a "need to talk purchases over with the wife" budget so like $500. Any help is appreciated.

Ok, so you're kinda all over the place. RCP3 is not light gaming, in particular to the CPU requirements. That is going to be one of the hardest things to run well on a laptop, since usually CPUs are an easy place to cut cost/power/heat on a portable machine.

If you're a guy who goes 8 years between laptops I'd be wary of cheapo ones. Beyond the raw horsepower concerns, laptops under any sort of load these days have a strong thermal component where they will work poorly/degrade faster if they can't get rid of their heat efficiently.

For a gaming focus, something like this is a reasonably good deal:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Y...15GUS/921861606
Its overkill on the GPU for you, but that's not a bad thing. It'll run RCP3 at the 30-60FPS depending on the game.

This would be the laptop where you trade some GPU for some extra CPU speed and a step up in quality in general for a little less money (the GPU is really only for light gaming, though RCP3 would run): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425
These are great laptops and I am typing this on one of the higher end 2020 models.

Under $500 for light gaming I don't see anything I'd recommend right now. Those gateways seem like they have ridiculous specs and are good values even if the thermals and build quality probably suck, but I don't see any right now. There may be some fire sales on last years stuff but demand is staying really high and most of those sales are going pretty quick.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ReverendDre posted:

Just as an fyi, ebay has a president's day sale going on for certified refurbished (code prezday20). I just bout an acer with a certified refurb acer with a 2060 and a i7-10750H for a little less than 850.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I said the other day that laptop manufacturers need to rethink how they build laptops to make for better cooling, as evidenced by the number of laptop bitcoin miners standing their laptops up like tents.

https://videocardz.com/newz/hundreds-of-nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-gaming-laptops-spotted-in-a-mining-farm

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 15, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
If I want to replace my water-cooled ryzen 3600 / radeon 5600XT desktop with a roughly equivalent horsepower zen 3/tiger-lake-H (8 core, either way) / RTX laptop that can push to at least 2 screen via USB-C (not using the internal screen at all) what do I honestly need to be looking for? 8 core minimum and the primary screen for gaming would be 1440p (60p, high frame rate has never interested me).

I'm randomly thinking of a whole different setup than what I have and have wanted... Not for today but within 6 months-ish.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 15, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ilkhan posted:

If I want to replace my water-cooled ryzen 3600 / radeon 5600XT desktop with a roughly equivalent horsepower zen 3 / RTX laptop that can push to a at least 2 screen via USB-C (not using the internal screen at all) what do I honestly need to be looking for? 8 core minimum and the primary screen for gaming would be 1440p (60p, high frame rate has never interested me).

I'm randomly thinking of a whole different setup than what I have and have wanted... Not for today but within 6 months-ish.

Today: 2070S MQ (make sure Super) is pretty equivalent, and for CPU the 4800h is about the same. But I don't think there are any laptops with those two.

Soon, as soon as they are in stock: A 3060 with a 7 or 9 5000 series AMD. Asus ROG line has a bunch, so do others. If you have 6 months I'd keep an eye out for something with those specs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want a lot of machine for the money, Eluktronics has the Prometheus laptop up for pre-order. The thermals are apparently insanely good and runs a full powered RTX3080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA95G-sc-TU

https://www.eluktronics.com/Prometheus-XVII/

17" device, but narrow bezels and not super thick so it's a large but not monstrous device.

Anyways, $2700 gets you:

17.3" 1440p 165hz 4ms response screen that's actually color accurate
Ryzen 7 5800H
16gb RTX3080 that can boost up to 150w
1TB NVME (no soldering)
32 gb of ram (16x2 nothing soldered)
Windows Hello IR camera
Mux with optimus
Additional free nvme slot

The package starts as low as $1600 with the Ryzen 7 4800H and RTX 3060 and 512gb/16gb option. Not for everyone since it's a huge device, but hard to argue with the cooling and package.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I said the other day that laptop manufacturers need to rethink how they build laptops to make for better cooling, as evidenced by the number of laptop bitcoin miners standing their laptops up like tents.

https://videocardz.com/newz/hundreds-of-nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-gaming-laptops-spotted-in-a-mining-farm

The standard laptop design isn't ideal for mining farms, but seems fine when you account for 'needs a functional keyboard and monitor' in consumer use. :shrug:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's a good source for laptops in Canada? My brother recently shared a movie via Zoom and it was near-slideshow playback. I gave him that laptop and I know it's getting up there in years. What are good :canada: sources for ThinkPads or Dell Latitudes with the most intensive tasks being Zooms and browsers with a couple dozen tabs open?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yesterday I learned the folly of not upgrading one's Nvidia drivers for several years, turns out that had been the reason my framerate in games had been tanking so badly the last year or so, essentially due to not updating my profile was stuck in some sort of power save mode that was disabling the Nvidia chip and making it run off the integrated graphics instead, after doing a fresh install of the whole thing(and like at least four restarts) it's now working much better, still kinda crappy since it is a 10 year old laptop and chipset but at least now I can play Team Fortress 2 at a reasonably decent framerate again(once the proper config files are applied), thus while I still definitely need a new laptop eventually, it's priority is reduced enough that I don't have to stress out about it for the time being

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I see at least one thunderbolt 4/usb4 hub going up for sale, $150

Of interest, it has multiple USB-C ports, which up until now have been super super rare. Weirdly though the power adapter uses some DIN variant rather than a USB-C PD thing, which is weird

$150 is slightly high, but probably lower than I would have expected. Hopefully this sets the tone for pricing going forward. Usb4 and thunderbolt 4 are probably going to be around for a long while, so I'm thinking this is a system worth investing in

Another super nice detail is that this is a true hub, with no hard-wired dongle-cable-tail, which means you can bury this thing and it's associated rats nest of wires in a drawer in your desk via a 6 or 10 foot cable

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

What are the chances laptops with AMD CPUs get thunderbolt support in a refresh in the near future?

Researching it on google there's a ton of articles dating back a year+ about how AMD might get the license sorted soon but so far nothing and if I was running Intel I probably wouldn't license my biggest selling point to my biggest competitor

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Weirdly though the power adapter uses some DIN variant rather than a USB-C PD thing, which is weird

Your image shows why. It's a 110w power supply when USB-C PD maxes out at 100w. Any external hub that wants to deliver 100w to the notebook is going to need a non-USB source since the whole thing will need more than what's being delivered to the notebook.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm curious about Thunderbolt. I have a macbook with 2 Thunderbolt ports, only, and to my it's exactly like having a computer with no ports at all. I can't use a mouse, a keyboard, I can't do anything. What is it for? I think it's just a port that is meant to be used with a dock or a converter? Is apple trying to say 'stop using usb, do everything per Bluetooth?" It's really confusing, because I've never seen an accessory with a thunderbolt wire in my life.

I think USB is the huge reason why my next computer will by a Thinkpad, and no more Macs. Even XPS I hear uses this Thunderbolt? Might as well not have a port at all in my opinion. What am I missing here?

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 16, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm curious about Thunderbolt. I have a macbook with 2 Thunderbolt ports, only, and to my it's exactly like having a computer with no ports at all. I can't use a mouse, a keyboard, I can't do anything. What is it for? I think it's just a port that is meant to be used with a dock or a converter? Is apple trying to say 'stop using usb, do everything per Bluetooth?" It's really confusing, because I've never seen an accessory with a thunderbolt wire in my life.

I think USB is the huge reason why my next computer will by a Thinkpad, and no more Macs. Even XPS I hear uses this Thunderbolt? Might as well not have a port at all in my opinion. What am I missing here?

It's not really made for keyboard/mice etc.

In your case you could just get a cheap USB hub with a USB-C cable to connect it to your Mac. Get a bluetooth mouse. And buy one USB-C to USB adapter for flash drives or whatever.

Are you rich? Buy an LG 4K/5K monitor and that will solve most of your problems.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I see at least one thunderbolt 4/usb4 hub going up for sale, $150

Of interest, it has multiple USB-C ports, which up until now have been super super rare. Weirdly though the power adapter uses some DIN variant rather than a USB-C PD thing, which is weird

$150 is slightly high, but probably lower than I would have expected. Hopefully this sets the tone for pricing going forward. Usb4 and thunderbolt 4 are probably going to be around for a long while, so I'm thinking this is a system worth investing in

Another super nice detail is that this is a true hub, with no hard-wired dongle-cable-tail, which means you can bury this thing and it's associated rats nest of wires in a drawer in your desk via a 6 or 10 foot cable

If you get one toss up a review!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cheese Thief posted:

As mentioned above, you can get something like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/VAVA-Adapter-MacBook-Thunderbolt-Delivery/dp/B084ZDPNTT/

or I believe even these little dudes work:
https://smile.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516

(Note: Please do some research to make sure these work, I just did a cursory search)

It's kind of annoying though, I agree.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Am I missing something about how Thunderbolt works on Macs, or are there just no USB-C keyboards or mice out there?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

Am I missing something about how Thunderbolt works on Macs, or are there just no USB-C keyboards or mice out there?

Most wireless keyboard/mice have USB-A receivers. There are some new ones that use C, but I think most of us have existing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quixzlizx posted:

If you want to waste precious USB-C ports on a keyboard, you can.