Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No text. Just a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Nattty blues.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you, Maurice, HAhahah!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Maurice is really beefin’ it!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

At what point did blake shelton’s entire gimmick become “i’m a huge rear end in a top hat”

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is left5dead when you speak.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh poo poo, his Night Sweats are back :wth:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like a good bap or two. I am getting it.

Thank you, Regina.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

Cut for Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMT8cJG1XMI

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cringe humor has to walk a pretty fine line. Too far on one side, and it's not cringey enough, and it plays as just a little awkward and unfunny. This one went the other way, I think. It started OK with the Che bit, but it never really got very good, and everything about spanking was just a bit too far.

Pick a line and stick to it, Mooney. This was cut for time? Should've been cut for content.

Much later edit to avoid a double-post: Mrs. T fell asleep last night when the show started. I know, that's the typical response to an episode of SNL, haw haw. But she's watching it now, and I heard the Wee Gummy song again, and it's thoroughly stuck in my head. I'm going to try to knock it out with Punch, Brothers, Punch.

You-ooooooooo should n-ahhhhhhhhhhh-t have re-watched me....
I'm a wee gummy; yes, I'm a wee gummy....

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 14, 2021

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Cringe humor has to walk a pretty fine line. Too far on one side, and it's not cringey enough, and it plays as just a little awkward and unfunny. This one went the other way, I think. It started OK with the Che bit, but it never really got very good, and everything about spanking was just a bit too far.

Pick a line and stick to it, Mooney. This was cut for time? Should've been cut for content.

Much later edit to avoid a double-post: Mrs. T fell asleep last night when the show started. I know, that's the typical response to an episode of SNL, haw haw. But she's watching it now, and I heard the Wee Gummy song again, and it's thoroughly stuck in my head. I'm going to try to knock it out with Punch, Brothers, Punch.

You-ooooooooo should n-ahhhhhhhhhhh-t have re-watched me....
I'm a wee gummy; yes, I'm a wee gummy....

Are you sure it wasn’t “weed gummy”

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hanales posted:

Are you sure it wasn’t “weed gummy”

Nope. Definitely not. I know I'm right on this.

I 100% guarantee it's "wee gummy," and if it's not, then my favorite Metallica song isn't "Officer of Sorrow."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I was surprised at how quiet audience was on the elbow sketch. Aidy was incredible in it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Regina was really good at spoken word. :allears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The_Doctor posted:

Regina was really good at spoken word. :allears:

Elbow skit was one of the best in a long time: the show always flies higher when they edge towards the absurd and away from the political.

The whole thing felt like a Boondocks bit, tbqh... :laugh:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Nope. Definitely not. I know I'm right on this.

I 100% guarantee it's "wee gummy," and if it's not, then my favorite Metallica song isn't "Officer of Sorrow."

This made me laugh more than the entire John Kracsinski SNL ep so thank you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Elbow skit was one of the best in a long time: the show always flies higher when they edge towards the absurd and away from the political.

The whole thing felt like a Boondocks bit, tbqh... :laugh:

If I closed my eyes at any point, I could definitely hear those kids.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The_Doctor posted:

If I closed my eyes at any point, I could definitely hear those kids.

Basically everything she does, if I'm honest. :ohdear:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I always wonder why they cut to straight-man characters who do nothing to actually build the sketches. Like, the Vagina Monologues but censored for high school students setup is fine, and all the ladies delivered well, but when you cut to a cast member whose only job is to say "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" or some equivalent, you are always going to lose me. One would think that you need the school kids characters to do something based on that setup, but the sketch kind of falls apart on that end, in my opinion.

SNL has had that problem for a while though, as evidenced by every sketch where three zany characters speak to a wall.

That's why the gameshow concept is always so good, because the host is the straight-man and he or she usually gets to meaningfully contribute.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

a new study bible! posted:

when you cut to a cast member whose only job is to say "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" or some equivalent, you are always going to lose me
Hard agree, the students didn't add anything to this sketch.

Though I'm not sure it would've been better without it. The performers all did great, but a Vagina Monologues reference in 2021 seems like a miss considering nobody has seen live theater for a year.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It didn't hit with that sketch, but the "cut to a couple audience members quipping" sometimes works well - those old high school theatre sketches wouldn't have been half as good without it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

a new study bible! posted:

I always wonder why they cut to straight-man characters who do nothing to actually build the sketches. Like, the Vagina Monologues but censored for high school students setup is fine, and all the ladies delivered well, but when you cut to a cast member whose only job is to say "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" or some equivalent, you are always going to lose me. One would think that you need the school kids characters to do something based on that setup, but the sketch kind of falls apart on that end, in my opinion.

SNL has had that problem for a while though, as evidenced by every sketch where three zany characters speak to a wall.

That's why the gameshow concept is always so good, because the host is the straight-man and he or she usually gets to meaningfully contribute.

I do like the game show skits, but the straight-man charcter is kinda part of a bigger issue that SNL has had for decades, which is they seem incapable of making many sketches that aren't tv shows or in front of an audience of some kind. Like people just sitting in a living room for a skit is almost beyond them. There has to be some kind of audience watching the craziness or otherwise I guess they don't find it effective? I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk brought this up on a Mr. Show commentary in the loving 90s!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What? One sketch was literally 4 women sitting in a living room opening gifts.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

1glitch0 posted:

I do like the game show skits, but the straight-man charcter is kinda part of a bigger issue that SNL has had for decades, which is they seem incapable of making many sketches that aren't tv shows or in front of an audience of some kind. Like people just sitting in a living room for a skit is almost beyond them. There has to be some kind of audience watching the craziness or otherwise I guess they don't find it effective? I'm pretty sure Bob Odenkirk brought this up on a Mr. Show commentary in the loving 90s!

For sure! Its definitely not a new problem.

Do you remember anything specific about the commentary? I don't think I've heard it and I would like to check it out.

GreenNight posted:

In that sketch they were literally all audience members just reading fake Homegoods signs. Granted, it actually got a few laughs out of me, but it was more of a meta response to how absurd the whole sketch was rather than anything funny the cast members were doing.

Which still counts.... I think?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GreenNight posted:

That sketch was my favorite.

pwn
May 27, 2004

SNL’s writing ethos of late has been to make sure that every being who has a dollar to spend on beer can understand what the joke is supposed to be, and how they should feel about every beat of a sketch.

Whether this is the character telling us what’s going to be funny about the thing they’re about to do (this week’s cold open) or straight characters responding as the viewer, it’s a formula.

I’ve also noticed the within-a-show thing, it’s been big since the 80s, it’s like Lorne wants to house things in an artifice rather than just present a scene in its own universe. On the occasion when a sketch not in a show seems too dark, they lighten in with a pull back to reveal the set, as though to say: Hey, it’s just a laugh, folks :)

I still love the show of course, just saying that there is a special sauce and these are some of the ingredients

pwn
May 27, 2004

in other news, in case you haven't turned on NBC for a five-minute stretch in the past month, tonight is the premiere of Kenan's new show Kenan

It's on after Dwayne Johnson's show, Young Rock, and since I bothered to grab the card from his appearance on Today yesterday, I'm posting it here too.

If you'd like to see some of the stars talk about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Qz28s1Edo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPC58qLBnU

As long as I'm here, Jay Pharoah was on the Lilly Singh show Monday night and god do I miss him. Sorry it's in four parts, such is how things are clipped for the internets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZzjBrTEKnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFbJ46bajyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SddW01TiKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H9G6NQM4Eg

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m assuming both Kenan and Young Rock will be pretty bad, but willing to give both a slight chance.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
They should've called Young Rock something better. Like, I don't know... Magma.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That sketch was my favorite.

Mine too.

"I'm sexually promiscuous and my house is dirty."

Something about Aidy's delivery of that line cracked me up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

There will be live shows through the end of February, and then repeats for most of March. The show returns for three live shows starting March 27. That will be followed by another three weeks of repeats, and then the final run of shows for the year starts May 8. The season finale is May 22. Repeats go through the Summer, except for the weeks of July 24-August 7, when the 2021 Summer Olympics preempt regular programming. The last week of repeats is scheduled to be September 18, which would theoretically mean that season 47 premieres September 25.

This totals 20 live shows for the season, which is 1 short of the 21-episode length of the recent past (seasons 38 through 44.) I’m kind of shocked that they’re not ending with 4 shows in May.

Also I never publicly posted it, but Dan Levy’s was the 900th live episode of the show. There will be 909 episodes by the time the season ends, which means that to hit 1,000 by the end of season 50, there would need to be 22-23 episodes a year for the next four seasons.

October 11 2025 will be a Saturday, the 50th anniversary of the show. I’ve run out of poo poo to type.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pwn posted:

There will be live shows through the end of February, and then repeats for most of March. The show returns for three live shows starting March 27. That will be followed by another three weeks of repeats, and then the final run of shows for the year starts May 8. The season finale is May 22. Repeats go through the Summer, except for the weeks of July 24-August 7, when the 2021 Summer Olympics preempt regular programming. The last week of repeats is scheduled to be September 18, which would theoretically mean that season 47 premieres September 25.

This totals 20 live shows for the season, which is 1 short of the 21-episode length of the recent past (seasons 38 through 44.) I’m kind of shocked that they’re not ending with 4 shows in May.

Also I never publicly posted it, but Dan Levy’s was the 900th live episode of the show. There will be 909 episodes by the time the season ends, which means that to hit 1,000 by the end of season 50, there would need to be 22-23 episodes a year for the next four seasons.

October 11 2025 will be a Saturday, the 50th anniversary of the show. I’ve run out of poo poo to type.

:stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

Have you considered finding a hobby? :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's what SNL is.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just to be clear: I enjoyed that post and was :stare:ing at almost 1000 episodes and 50 years...

Between realizing the 40th was 5.5 years ago and turning on the radio today to find out the Retro Rewind is now "2000s at Twelve" I'm feeling pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty old... :corsair:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The first episode I can remember seeing was hosted by Buck Henry with Leon Redbone as the musical guest.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My earliest SNL memory is Patrick Stewart which I would have been 7 years old for.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

rodbeard posted:

My earliest SNL memory is Patrick Stewart which I would have been 7 years old for.

I wish to someday be introduced with the passion in which Patrick Stewart introduces Salt n Pepa.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Mine’s Woody Harrelson with Vanessa Williams technically, my sister and I began watching late in the Summer of 1992 when repeats were on. We only ever saw the first 30 minutes due to circumstances too dumb to get into here.

The first episode I truly remember in its entirety is the second episode of the 92-93 season, Tim Robbins with Sinead O’Conner, which was the first episode we had videotaped so we could watch it Sunday morning. Boy was that a fortuitous turn. And thus would mark the start of 28 years of relentlessly chasing those live moments every week :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I want to say that 93-98 is what I consider ~Golden Age~ SNL.