Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Khorne posted:

Do you know which leap v2 cylinder design you have?

If you have the top kind you will need to keep playing with the screw. It's tedious and a pain. The other design is way better.

It is the side activated kind, but if I follow the install instructions and install the notch directly facing the seat height level, the notch from the lever appears to be applying enough pressure to the cylinder for it to sink (and raise as soon as I stand up off the seat).

I've been finicking with rotating the cylinder slightly to see if it had any effect, but the result was never perfect, I ultimately just rotated it enough to lock it in place and now my seat height lever is non-functional, it's not a huge deal since I always have it at max height anyway, it's just irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zarin posted:

Another thing to consider might be tilt mechanism as you narrow down your search; for example, I really did NOT care for the tilt mechanisms on the Leap or the Gesture. I very much have come to prefer tilt mechanisms where the relational angle between the seat pan and seat back does not change (or barely changes).

So when you tilt the back, the seat itself tilts up with it? I've had that on old chairs, I think, but the Hyken has the back tilting independently of the seat. I don't know that I even noticed the difference, tbh.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

disaster pastor posted:

So when you tilt the back, the seat itself tilts up with it? I've had that on old chairs, I think, but the Hyken has the back tilting independently of the seat. I don't know that I even noticed the difference, tbh.

Yeah; this video explains the different ones really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapb-vUGy0c

Maybe you're not very sensitive to it. That would be a good thing! I've just found that I kinda am, which is unfortunate because it can be pretty limiting.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zarin posted:

Yeah; this video explains the different ones really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapb-vUGy0c

Maybe you're not very sensitive to it. That would be a good thing! I've just found that I kinda am, which is unfortunate because it can be pretty limiting.

Interesting. Thanks!

That's actually kinda pushing me toward the Titan, since the Omega there seemed to have a very nice tilt mechanic.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

disaster pastor posted:

Interesting. Thanks!

That's actually kinda pushing me toward the Titan, since the Omega there seemed to have a very nice tilt mechanic.

Yeah; the only issue is how long will a SecretLab last before it will require replacement? I truly don't know the answer to that question. I WANT to like their fabric-covered line of chairs, but I am inherently suspicious of anything "gamer-branded" in furniture.

For what it's worth, this video they did about chairs with headrests was pretty decent, as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCMUJr8cp8Y

If headrests are still your thing, of course!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zarin posted:

Yeah; the only issue is how long will a SecretLab last before it will require replacement? I truly don't know the answer to that question. I WANT to like their fabric-covered line of chairs, but I am inherently suspicious of anything "gamer-branded" in furniture.

I am, too, but a five-year warranty is pretty good, and the plain black Titan is not obnoxious-looking like most "gamer" chairs. Looking around, the main complaint people have is that if you get the leather one (but, like you, I'd prefer the fabric), yeah, it eventually starts to peel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Mistikman posted:

Kind of late to the party on this one, but I got a Steelcase Gesture about 8-10 months ago, and it's the best chair I have ever owned. It's incredibly comfortable no matter how I sit in it, and I am also a fatass and the sides of my butt don't even touch the armrests when I am seated.

It's rated for 400 lbs, and I am around 325. I assume the first thing that will crap out will be the hydraulics, as that's generally how they go, but it seems to be holding up a lot better than my prior chairs.

If you are concerned, they have a heavy duty version of the Leap chair which is rated to 500 lbs. Depending on how long the hydraulics last on this chair I might go for one of those next time around.

Thank you for this, still useful to me as I still haven't pulled the trigger (I'm divided between this and the Officemaster chairs mentioned earlier).

I really wish there were someplace I could go to try these out.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Just to contribute: I have a 2004 aeron I use every day but had the urge to get a seat with a headrest so I could lean back and think. I was going to grab a crappy gamer chair but someone in the Costco thread (thank you!) asked why I didn’t just grab a headrest for the aeron.

I didn’t know they existed, and thought they’d look goofy anyway but I did some looking and found this:

aeron headrest from Amazon

I’ve used it a couple of days now and love it. Plus it doesn’t look nearly as goofy as I thought.

While poking around on amazon I also found replacement foam pieces for the front of the seat and posturefit thing for lumbar support. It’s a like a new chair for the cost of a new gamer chair! Lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The lack of a headrest is bothering the hell out of me too, but getting one within EU is a mess. They mostly seem to be made in North America.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

namlosh posted:

Just to contribute: I have a 2004 aeron I use every day but had the urge to get a seat with a headrest so I could lean back and think. I was going to grab a crappy gamer chair but someone in the Costco thread (thank you!) asked why I didn’t just grab a headrest for the aeron.

I didn’t know they existed, and thought they’d look goofy anyway but I did some looking and found this:

aeron headrest from Amazon

I’ve used it a couple of days now and love it. Plus it doesn’t look nearly as goofy as I thought.

While poking around on amazon I also found replacement foam pieces for the front of the seat and posturefit thing for lumbar support. It’s a like a new chair for the cost of a new gamer chair! Lol

There are Aeron headrests from a company called Atlas as well. There’s a guy giving out 25% off coupons on a Canadian shopping forum called redflagdeals If you’re interested. I got a fully loaded Aeron for $1288 CAD taxes and shipping included through the group as well, too bad Herman Miller killed the group buy lol

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

I have the ergochair 2 and I'm very Meh about it. I can't seem to get it adjusted just right for me. But its better than my ikea Markus I was using.

I'm in the same boat. I love the comfort of the chair, but I don't feel like I can ever get it 100% right to where I want it to be.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What would a good cheap chair be which I'll only use occasionally? I have a bit of an unfortunate combo where my back is not happy if I sit for a long time in a bad chair, but I also have somewhere that I only work 1-2 days a week. I've been using a makeshift standing desk AKA random boxes stacked on each other, but would like a chair as well I can switch into off and on.

RPGsArts
Oct 25, 2020

Pet Portraits and Custom Commissions

tildes posted:

What would a good cheap chair be which I'll only use occasionally? I have a bit of an unfortunate combo where my back is not happy if I sit for a long time in a bad chair, but I also have somewhere that I only work 1-2 days a week. I've been using a makeshift standing desk AKA random boxes stacked on each other, but would like a chair as well I can switch into off and on.

I’d like to second this, but I’ll be using it a little more often. Maybe 3 times a week to start. Looking for a good budget option with a tall back or headrest. Mostly for gaming, but I dislike most of the “gamer chairs”.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Any recommendations for cushions to put on a chair? I've got a lovely staples special I bought years ago but COVID makes shopping for a replacement difficult. My posture is nothing short of horrific so I don't terribly care about ergo, I just want my seat to more comfortable than a board.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Some Goon posted:

Any recommendations for cushions to put on a chair? I've got a lovely staples special I bought years ago but COVID makes shopping for a replacement difficult. My posture is nothing short of horrific so I don't terribly care about ergo, I just want my seat to more comfortable than a board.
Probably something from Purple.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HeartArt posted:

I’d like to second this, but I’ll be using it a little more often. Maybe 3 times a week to start. Looking for a good budget option with a tall back or headrest. Mostly for gaming, but I dislike most of the “gamer chairs”.

Look for an IKEA Markus used and get a butt cushion.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m in the market for a new gaming/TV-watching/sitting-at-my-computer chair. Something with wheels that I can sit in for long periods of time and (if possible) recline in. I don’t really have a set budget in mind; right now I’m exploring my options.

I know a chair is one of those things I have to actually sit my rear end in before I buy anything, so I guess I’m hoping this thread can help me narrow my search field a bit. Would I be better off focusing on standard office chairs or should I look into one of those tacky “gamer chairs”? And if the latter, where the hell do I go to sit in one? I know Office Depot and the like have office chairs, but what brick-and-mortar places sell gamer chairs?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 14, 2021

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
What are thoughts on the Mirra vs Leap v2? I have both available locally (used) for same price (400). I believe I’ve sat in both at various times during conference room hopping, but haven’t sat in either for long.

Edit: or the HM Celle is available for about half the price of the other two. Not familiar with that one at all...

thiazi fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 14, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

thiazi posted:

What are thoughts on the Mirra vs Leap v2? I have both available locally (used) for same price (400). I believe I’ve sat in both at various times during conference room hopping, but haven’t sat in either for long.

Edit: or the HM Celle is available for about half the price of the other two. Not familiar with that one at all...

Are they used from an office liquidator or individuals? If a liquidator, I'd encourage you to go sit in them for a bit and see what you think!

As for the Leap, I used either a Leap or a Leap v2 for a couple years at work, and it was "fine", I guess. I think I wished it had a headrest. I suspect I would feel that way about all three chairs if I were to use them for an extended period of time, though.

My brother has a Mirra and I think he likes it well enough. I've put an inquiry in for him to come to this thread and post about it. Edit: vvvv Thanks Napalm, appreciate the effortpost!

I had the option of sitting in a Celle for 3 years or so when I worked in a lab-type environment adjacent to a machine shop, and it was largely the most fought-over chair in the lab. It's possible it's because it was the newest, but it was also quite comfortable as I recall. The only downside to it (to my recollection) is that after several hours, I would notice that the seat felt kinda "hard" and I'd want to get up out of it and walk around for a bit. The initial sitting was quite comfortable, though, and I had to be sitting for quite a long time before I felt the need to stand up. I suspect putting even an extremely thin cushion over the plastic circles would be enough to perhaps prevent that entirely.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 14, 2021

NapalmWeasel
Aug 10, 2012

thiazi posted:

I bought my Mirra 2 chair just over 4 years ago, and it's still holding up just as well as the day I bought it considering the daily use and 2 interstate moves it's been through. As Zarin said, go sit in them if you can, that's going to be a huge help in the decision-making process. I liked the Aeron that his wife had, but I really preferred the Mirra 2 after comparing them at a showroom. For reference, I'm 5' 7" and 265 lbs.

My Mirra 2 is almost fully kitted out, though, so it's potentially different from the Mirra 2 that may be available to you. I found all of these add-ons to be well worth getting; I think the only option I didn't get was different wheels.
- Butterfly Suspension Back: feels a bit softer and more comfortable than just the plastic back
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: it's there or not, and I wanted the option to use it
- Tilt Limiter: lets you set the tilt to stop at a certain place and adjustable tension so it's a natural recline
- Adjustable Arms: I think my upper arms are shorter than "standard", and didn't sit right with the fixed arms
- FlexFront Adjustable Seat: lets you select the pitch at the front of the seat for a more natural position

The only negative I have for the Mirra 2 is that there's no headrest for it. A potential downside of the Mirra 2 is that the mesh seat may leave you a bit drafty and cold, depending on your environment. The material seems to hold in a decent amount of heat, so I haven't really noticed that myself.

I have no experience with either the Leap v2 or Celle, so I can't offer any comparison there.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I upgraded from a Leap v2 to a Mirra 2.

The Mirra v2 is a much better chair all round imo. Better back support, far better build quality and has a mesh seat and backrest which is a god send during humid summers.

The cushion on my Leap also wore out after a couple of years and parts of the plastic frame had started to come apart. The armrests on the Leap, however, are superior than the ones on the Mirra.

Edit: The Leap’s cushion wore out even though I’m Mr Average (5’11 and 70kg)

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 14, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m in the market for a new gaming/TV-watching/sitting-at-my-computer chair. Something with wheels that I can sit in for long periods of time and (if possible) recline in. I don’t really have a set budget in mind; right now I’m exploring my options.

I know a chair is one of those things I have to actually sit my rear end in before I buy anything, so I guess I’m hoping this thread can help me narrow my search field a bit. Would I be better off focusing on standard office chairs or should I look into one of those tacky “gamer chairs”? And if the latter, where the hell do I go to sit in one? I know Office Depot and the like have office chairs, but what brick-and-mortar places sell gamer chairs?

Forgot to mention, I’m looking for something in leather. Faux leather would also be acceptable.

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit
Anyone had good luck with SitOnIt branded chairs? Went to the local office furniture place and they seem to be a good compromise between Staples-level and Knoll/Steelcase/etc.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I. M. Gei posted:

Forgot to mention, I’m looking for something in leather. Faux leather would also be acceptable.

Humanscale Freedom with the headrest can be specced in leather. It reclines pretty far as well.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Humanscale Freedom with the headrest can be specced in leather. It reclines pretty far as well.

I own one, and I'd advise trying it out as at least 3 out of 4 people in my family don't really like it, unsure about the fourth. I like my Gesture (you can get it in leather) but I'd definitely want a footrest of some sort as well as probably going for the headrest if I was planning on watching movies.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeesh that price.

When I said I wasn’t concerned about price I assumed my options weren’t gonna come with 4-figure price tag.

Is a standard office chair gonna be the better way for me to go comfort-wise over an ugly gamer chair? My understanding was that office chairs are for sitting upright and doing actual work in for long periods of time, while “gamer chairs” are for general lounging/reclining/vegging out in front of a TV/video game/laptop for long periods. Is that wrong?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I. M. Gei posted:

When I said I wasn’t concerned about price I assumed my options weren’t gonna come with 4-figure price tag.

Is a standard office chair gonna be the better way for me to go comfort-wise over an ugly gamer chair? My understanding was that office chairs are for sitting upright and doing actual work in for long periods of time, while “gamer chairs” are for general lounging/reclining/vegging out in front of a TV/video game/laptop for long periods. Is that wrong?

It depends! Some office chairs are absolutely plenty capable of being relaxed enough for lounging and/or gaming. My Cosm in high-back pretty much defaults to a reclining position, for example. This may be telling on myself here, not sure

Herman Miller also made a lounge chair called the Setu that was extremely comfortable when I sat in it; that was like 5 years ago now though.

If I may ask: why leather? I have sworn off faux leather because of how it breaks down and flakes off. (Real leather, if course, does not have that issue)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

Gamer chairs are just cheap chairs made to look like racing chairs for cars. Some are made from quality stuff but most of them aren't good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yhc6mmdJC4

It's hard to recommend a chair beyond the normal ones in the thread without having the person sitting on them. A lot of folks find different seats comfortable or not comfortable due to their personal size or shape. Personally, I'll never buy a bonded leather/fake leather chair again after my staples one started flaking away after about a year. I do like the tempurpedic staples chair I got afterwards, though. It's been solid for almost five years, but it's cloth.

I think the Ikea Markus is often recommended for being decent but not too pricey (around $200) but it's not all leather, there's some mesh. I'd still suggest going to a store to sit on the chairs before you buy them, although that is a challenge during a pandemic.

NapalmWeasel
Aug 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

Retail prices are quite ridiculous, I'm not sure if anyone actually pays that. I think I knocked about $400 off my chair by buying it from a licensed dealer. It's still quite an investment, but the 10+ year warranty helps offset the sticker shock.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I. M. Gei posted:

Unfortunately you're in the chair thread. But yes, normally the price you pay is nowhere near list.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
You can pretty easily get like 40% off msrp on any HM stuff by going through the certified dealer list and sending some emails

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

stellers bae posted:

Anyone had good luck with SitOnIt branded chairs? Went to the local office furniture place and they seem to be a good compromise between Staples-level and Knoll/Steelcase/etc.

Never tried that brand, but the warranty seems decent enough.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I am, too, but a five-year warranty is pretty good, and the plain black Titan is not obnoxious-looking like most "gamer" chairs. Looking around, the main complaint people have is that if you get the leather one (but, like you, I'd prefer the fabric), yeah, it eventually starts to peel.

Update: I got the Titan in fabric, I also got covers because I'm paranoid, and I am very much liking it so far. It really does feel like an office chair masquerading as a gamer chair instead of vice versa.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I've got a fabric Titan on its way for tomorrow because I'm sick of my cheapo Ikea Millberget and I'm easily swayed by that most successful and useful kind of person: people who yell at video games for a living

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Squashing Machine posted:

I've got a fabric Titan on its way for tomorrow because I'm sick of my cheapo Ikea Millberget and I'm easily swayed by that most successful and useful kind of person: people who yell at video games for a living

Hello fellow Millberget victim. Yours like sitting on plywood for your tailbone, too?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hello fellow Millberget victim. Yours like sitting on plywood for your tailbone, too?

My main gripe is that it essentially had nothing in the lumbar area and I like to sit in it crosslegged a lot, which fucks up the armrests pretty bad. It also does nothing for my K/D

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yerok posted:

You can pretty easily get like 40% off msrp on any HM stuff by going through the certified dealer list and sending some emails

I wish furniture companies would move away from the used car salesman bullshit. As more people work from home, I'm convinced that they're losing sales because people get sticker shock and pick up some lovely chair from Staples instead.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

NapalmWeasel posted:

I bought my Mirra 2 chair just over 4 years ago, and it's still holding up just as well as the day I bought it considering the daily use and 2 interstate moves it's been through. As Zarin said, go sit in them if you can, that's going to be a huge help in the decision-making process. I liked the Aeron that his wife had, but I really preferred the Mirra 2 after comparing them at a showroom. For reference, I'm 5' 7" and 265 lbs.

My Mirra 2 is almost fully kitted out, though, so it's potentially different from the Mirra 2 that may be available to you. I found all of these add-ons to be well worth getting; I think the only option I didn't get was different wheels.
- Butterfly Suspension Back: feels a bit softer and more comfortable than just the plastic back
- Adjustable Lumbar Support: it's there or not, and I wanted the option to use it
- Tilt Limiter: lets you set the tilt to stop at a certain place and adjustable tension so it's a natural recline
- Adjustable Arms: I think my upper arms are shorter than "standard", and didn't sit right with the fixed arms
- FlexFront Adjustable Seat: lets you select the pitch at the front of the seat for a more natural position

The only negative I have for the Mirra 2 is that there's no headrest for it. A potential downside of the Mirra 2 is that the mesh seat may leave you a bit drafty and cold, depending on your environment. The material seems to hold in a decent amount of heat, so I haven't really noticed that myself.

I have no experience with either the Leap v2 or Celle, so I can't offer any comparison there.

Thanks for the feedback. The Mirra 2 sold here before I could check it out, so I went to check out the Steelcase Leap. They had a v1 and a v2, and I ended up purchasing the v2. It is in great shape and is an enormous upgrade over my previous chair - my back is already excited.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Just put together my ergochair 2 and drat I didn't realize how happy I'd be just to have something supporting my lower back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

house of the dad posted:

Just put together my ergochair 2 and drat I didn't realize how happy I'd be just to have something supporting my lower back.

From my work desk with the office-issue chair that actively curves out and away from my lower back, rocks sideways on its cylinder so I can't sit flat, and has a busted armrest with 5" of free travel and nothing that holds it in place:
Envious. Though I've heard a lot of mixed feedback on the ergochairs.