Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Total new guy here and really want to sign up for dinosaurs! Love those nasty bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

thrashingteeth posted:

Total new guy here and really want to sign up for dinosaurs! Love those nasty bastards

A winning post/username combo, anyway

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's it for sign-ups. The following artists...

Angrymog
bobthenameless
Doctor Dogballs
hallo spacedog
Johnny-on-the-Spot
Krispy Wafer
Spectral Elvis
thrashingteeth
void_serfer

...will be drawing dromaeosaurs, painting parasaurolophi and animating ankylosaurs. The most highly evolved artist wins the right to set next month's artdome challenge!
Submissions close on the 28th of February, or when a trillion-tonne asteroid impacts the Yucatan peninsula, whichever comes first.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I really wanted to get this done before the weekend.

This chompy boi is a rubber linocut print with water based ink on mixed fiber printmaking paper.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
That is a very good dinosaur.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

readingatwork posted:

That is a very good dinosaur.

Thank you!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Holy poo poo, you got that level of detail on rubber? Amazing work!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks! I really enjoy working on rubber more than normal lino when I can afford it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Guess I’ll be the sad sack who tries to follow that awesome linocut. I am probably the only submission that includes dinos with guns, though.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Feels a bit pointless adding this in after that amazing t rex lino. SAVAGE IT.
The colours got a bit weird in the photo, need to invest in a scanner.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 27, 2021

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Don't know why you guys are downing your submissions because these are all awesome.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

thrashingteeth posted:

What medium is this, it's really beautiful.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am probably the only submission that includes dinos with guns, though.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

All digital using clip studio and affinity studio.

This is the closest I've been to finishing a piece of art in well over 10 years, and for that alone I'm very happy. Hoping this is the first of many.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spectral Elvis posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing!

This is the closest I've been to finishing a piece of art in well over 10 years, and for that alone I'm very happy. Hoping this is the first of many.

DAMMIT.

You've got dinos and clubs too? Okay, I've still got the only entry with halberds.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
These are all excellent, keep them coming!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Love all of these entries so far!

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Loving all the entries, the gun to dinosaur ratio is looking pretty perfect.

hallo spacedog posted:

What medium is this, it's really beautiful.

Thank you! That made my day! It's a lino print and coloured ink, I'm really wanting to develop in using more colour and lino so thought this was the best time to do it haha.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

That's awesome, hand colored prints are really cool.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

sorry, I've just been knackered and sad the past few weeks :(

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Its been a bad couple weeks, I wish I gave myself more time to work on this, but I'm proud I could get it out even if it was rushed at the end.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I'm drawing a triceratops but it's like 5% done and I need to get ready for mid-term exams. sorry!

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

ill have mine submitted in ~2 hours! I'll edit this post with it Soon

Edit: I have a lot of woulda coulda shouldas with this, but it got me out of a few month art rut... so (mostly) mission accomplished :)

(also, rad af submissions everyone!)

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 1, 2021

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Love this, the expression on the kids face is great. Also bonus points for turkey dinos.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Let's wrap this up, shall we?

hallo spacedog posted:

This chompy boi is a rubber linocut print with water based ink on mixed fiber printmaking paper.

This is just excellent, as plenty of other posters have said! It works wonderfully as a dynamic whirlwind of teeth-and-claws and as a study of different dinosaurian scale, skin and feather textures.
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the actual print?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Guess I'll be the sad sack who tries to follow that awesome linocut. I am probably the only submission that includes dinos with guns, though.

Nice textures, gorgeous colours and subtle linework combine to create a classic dinosaur combat panorama. Except that every dinosaur is carrying the worst possible weapon. Oh my gosh.
I love it. A few details are a bit off, like the (admittedly very challenging) perspective on the theropod's legs, or the lack of detail on the stegosaurus' feet. But honestly, when a pterosaur is flying past in the background with a halberd, a bit of wobbly detail just enhances the whole thing.

thrashingteeth posted:

I really like this feathered parasaurolophus. I've never seen them illustrated with feathers- they do a lot to define the volume of the creature.
I'm not a fan of how the red tail draws the eye, and I feel the plants around the border crowd things too much. But moving past that, there's a lovely melancholy air to the whole thing, with that delicate blue background, and the fantastical, almost botanical-looking plumes, and the creature's overall posture- is it resting, is it dead...?
A picture that rewards a long, long look.

Spectral Elvis posted:

Dinosaurs! With guns! And moxie! And three cigars! And asteroid tats! And really, really good colour!!
This is another fun picture. I can't think of much more to say about it, beyond: I'm super glad to hear that this picture was a bit of a milestone for you- keep them coming! This one was, incidentally, my wife's favourite.

void_serfer posted:

Love all of these entries so far!

As a life-long dinosaur fan, I must congratulate your use of the rarely-seen reverse-angle triceratops. And those tyrannosaurus feet are just perfect; there is a real sense of weight and mass there. Sadly the tyrannosaurus' head shape seems a bit off, somehow...
Overall I love the drama of this composition, and the excellent, assured linework on (for example) the ground and the dinosaurs' musculature.
It took me a while to notice that this classic dinosaur combat scene occurs in a ruined city, and that just raises all sorts of questions. Come to think of it, it reminds me a lot of the great T-Rex vs Styracosaurus painting from Dinotopia; was that an influence?

Angrymog posted:

sorry, I've just been knackered and sad the past few weeks :(

Sorry to hear that :(

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Its been a bad couple weeks, I wish I gave myself more time to work on this, but I'm proud I could get it out even if it was rushed at the end.

That is a good accurate-looking raptor, with a really wonderful dynamic pose. (Come to think of it, the kid's pose is really well done too.) And you've managed to draw a kid with a dinosaur in a way that is neither cutesy nor cynical; it would be all to easy to slip into one or the other!
I don't know what your workflow is like, but for interests' sake, would it be possible to post this without the text? You've drawn a such a compelling little duo and I wonder if the text distracts from it.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I'm drawing a triceratops but it's like 5% done and I need to get ready for mid-term exams. sorry!

Fine, fine, I guess passing your exams and ensuring your academic future is more important than drawing the Best Dinosaur Ever. Probably.

What's this? Three reverse-angle triceratops in one week!?
This is some classic Charles R. Knight stuff here. There are no fancy modern dinosaurs with feathers in this picture- the grey scales of the triceratops and the red-striped tyrannosaurus are giving me a powerful feeling of deja vu from the books I used to carry everywhere as a kid. I mean, it's even got dinosaurs drinking, hunting, and the obligatory pterodactyls flying past...
One hint I can think of offering is to check how your dinosaur's feet are interacting with the ground- are they lost in bracken, grass, dust, mud? This will help give them a feeling of weight and motion.
Still, I'm a sucker for these Mesozoic ecology-style pictures!

So, another month of absurdly good pictures. I love them all! But our winner for this round is first-time entrant hallo spacedog with this beautifully detailed and excellently composed chompy boi.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

I really wanted to get this done before the weekend.

I can't get over how well-composed this is. It looks great even in timg form on a phone.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Congratulations, hallo spacedog! That really was an amazing entry.

Also thank you Tree Bucket for your great feedback! The T-Rex's neck is a little thick behind the head, kind of softening it up a bit. His bottom jaw is pretty wonky too. I noticed this through the process, but I forgot to actually address it lol. I've never heard of the piece you mentioned. I just thought "dinosaurs but also kaiju" and just started drawing!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 1, 2021

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Well won Hallo Spacedog! Incredible work, well deserved.

Thank you for the feedback, really helpful :) I can really see what you mean with overcrowding, it's not the style I would usually use but I'm trying to get out of this terrible habit of overcrowding and detailing drawings so will take that into consideration! Much appreciated!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback, especially about the colors. I’ve only recently tried learning color theory and I still kind of suck.

That was made using a template called ColorLab from a company called RetroSupply. It tries to emulate old school 3 color printing by giving you a palette of red, blue, and yellow and ONLY red, blue, and yellow. Any other hues are done by layering those primary colors and adjusting opacity accordingly. It’s kind of a pain, but I like the effect.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Thank you for the feed back and theme Tree Bucket! I went ahead and remade another jpg without the text for you. I was really married to the tagline and could have incorporated it better but I'm glad you think it could have stood without it!

Really awesome work Hallo Spacedog, and everyone else!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone - I have been dealing with a lot of inactivity and inability to get going with my work this past year (!!) I've been in quarantine. Oh, also for the dimensions, this plate is 6.5"x9".

I apologize for the delay (dealing with family stuff today) but here is my thought for the next prompt:

The Rainforest
Anything that comes to mind - the plants, the animals, the atmosphere... what have you. All are fair game for this challenge.

Date to announce participation: March 15th
Date to submit your piece: March 31st

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 11, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sure. I like Ferngully as much as the next guy. I’m in.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'll give it a try

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Rainforest is on my list of Things I Wish I Could Draw But Can't, so I'll give it a try!

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I'm in. Always down for a challenge to draw more environments.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I am completely in, sounda good!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

There isn't a huge amount of similarity, I guess, but it's just one of those images that's burned pretty thoroughly into the memory of Young Me!

I can see why you kept the tagline- it is a very cool line. I appreciate the textless version too; it's such a striking pairing of figures that immediately sets the brain off trying to come up with stories...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Thanks for the feedback, especially about the colors. I've only recently tried learning color theory and I still kind of suck.

That was made using a template called ColorLab from a company called RetroSupply. It tries to emulate old school 3 color printing by giving you a palette of red, blue, and yellow and ONLY red, blue, and yellow. Any other hues are done by layering those primary colors and adjusting opacity accordingly. It's kind of a pain, but I like the effect.

I'll have to look into that, it sounds laborious but the results are very interesting. Nice luminous colour.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

There isn't a huge amount of similarity, I guess, but it's just one of those images that's burned pretty thoroughly into the memory of Young Me!

This is amazing. drat that cute little trike.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

void_serfer posted:

This is amazing. drat that cute little trike.

Yep, Dinotopia is peak 90's in a lot of ways, but it never fails to inspire me to Just Get Drawing. My copy has damaged pages from Young Me attempting to trace bits of it.
(This scene incidentally shows Bix negotiating with the Rexes by saying "oh hai, don't mind us, we're just here to ask you not to attack the herd of completely defenceless Fatosaurus that is definitely certainly coming through this jungle tomorrow.")

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

I'm in for the rainforest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Congrats hallo spacedog!
And thanks for the critique Tree Bucket, I really appreciate it, half of the reason I decided to artdome :)

I will also enter into the rainforest, count me in