Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sword intent is when you sword so hard that onlookers are very impressed by it. there's no point in swording that hard without an audience.

sword intent is when you store an edged weapon in a portable sleeping enclosure to protect it from the rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Anzrel posted:

In your heart all along naturally.

Given the setting this could be literally true, I suppose.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I bounced off of My Disciple Has Died Again pretty hard by chapter 14. :(

It's pretty slow. Should I try to muddle through?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You could read Beware of Chicken instead. It's very good.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39408/beware-of-chicken/chapter/614481/chapter-1-he-bravely-turned-his-tail-and-fled

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Artificer posted:

I bounced off of My Disciple Has Died Again pretty hard by chapter 14. :(

It's pretty slow. Should I try to muddle through?

Ehhh, I like it but I don't think there's any obvious point where it "picks up", so. If it's not grabbing you it's not grabbing you.

I resisted reading this for a while because I was like, "but I like the fights," but. It's good. :negative:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There are still fights!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I am sort of side-eyeing the way that Jin Rou's dreams of bucolic utopia have to be underwritten by such copious violence. Violence that the narrative has- until very recently- allowed him to displace the culpability for onto a bunch of naive and innocent animals. Very much putting me in mind of "We're definitely not going to find any violence in Vinland, lads :downs:".

He isn't ignorant any longer, I suppose, and I'm guessing this girl is going to be a "virtuous" cultivator, and he'll have to actually debate his position with her instead of just feeding her to the pigs. I dunno. We'll see how that shakes out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
In BTC, the new girl is also a plant-style cultivator, so I imagine with her natural affinity for the stuff he's doing at the Farm, she'll be able to actually take a good look around and be like "wtf WTF PLEASE TEACH ME MASTER".

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
lmao at the original beware the chicken thread (on spacebattles) being shut down due to a gun derail

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I am extremely here for little friend Song Shuhang to get a cute baby sister to spoil and raise into some sort of cultivation monster.

On the hyper-accelerated timeline CCG is on, she'll probably be God by Friday.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Nah, that's his pet onion

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Animals getting superpowers because they got food by eating scraps of magic food is up there with that one novel where there are a bunch of super low ranking dudes who were actually OP as gently caress because they were relegated to kitchen duty and did poo poo like gently caress with the bowl size and eat the excess magic food.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tunicate posted:

I hated that onion so much. She's a good encapsulation with everything that eventually got me to drop the series.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

LLSix posted:

I hated that onion so much. She's a good encapsulation with everything that eventually got me to drop the series.

What other things?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I am extremely here for little friend Song Shuhang to get a cute baby sister to spoil and raise into some sort of cultivation monster.

If you're super curious, you can read up spoilers on her in the wiki.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Telsa Cola posted:

Animals getting superpowers because they got food by eating scraps of magic food is up there with that one novel where there are a bunch of super low ranking dudes who were actually OP as gently caress because they were relegated to kitchen duty and did poo poo like gently caress with the bowl size and eat the excess magic food.

What series is this?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

the heat goes wrong posted:

What series is this?

Beware the Chicken and A Will Eternal, probably.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Lady Onion's fate is to always be one step too late, so I expect she'll only get to be God after it can no longer help her.

This baby, on the other hand, I guarantee is getting spoilt rotten. There will be a lot of third parties sighing and staring at clouds.

Megazver posted:

I will resist. The best thing about CCG is its pure chaos energy, spoilers would ruin it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what's ccg?

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Cultivation Chat Room, probably.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Megazver posted:

Why is there a complete english language wiki, anyway?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Megazver posted:

Beware the Chicken and A Will Eternal, probably.

A Will Eternal is by far the series that made me break down laughing.

The main character had a very solid end goal and was a complete total dork.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Absolute Great Teacher is readable, if you have a tolerance for typical Chinese webnovel bullshit.

It's like Library of Heaven's Path in that the MC is a Teacher where being a Teacher is a Thing, and he gets a system that lets him cheat really hard at it, which he uses to powerlevel his personal students and win at lecturing, exams and teacher competitions. The main difference is that LoHP was, for the most part, pretty chill and most of the arrogant young masters the MC faceslapped weren't actually terrible people and the MC often ended up helping/allying/training them. Here, the opposition gets more... Chinese webnovel, from abusive authority figures who do Very Bad Things as a hobby, to teachers from other colleges who are so competitive they'll literally try to murder you just to make sure you don't stand in the way of their academic career. Another very Chinese webnovel thing is how bad the author is at women. There is an incessant stream of really lame boob size jokes and the MC's dealing with all the hot chicks he interacts with mostly made me a little sad about the author's love life.

The face slapping is fun, though, and it's a fairly lively, well translated read.

I'm Actually a Cultivation Bigshot is like Beware the Chicken, but not as good. Still readable though. (For now, at least.)

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 14, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
After all those royalroad recommendations I checked their recommendation pages for a bit.
I just read almost 20 chapters of a cultivation style story and still can't tell if it is supposed to be a parody.

It was "Be The Icy Beauty"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've read a few rr wn's i've seen recommended here, but i mostly bounced off the most popular and highest rated ones i tried reading blind. i should have been reading from the trending list all along, because that has provided the unbelievably lovely amateur fiction rush i crave. it has so much beautiful garbage unfit for human consumption.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one that i read featured an honest to god virgin/chad duo in a bog standard wn apocalypse with tests and rpg stats. the virgin was smug, reckless, arrogant, and just all around unpleasant. the chad was objectively correct in word and deed at all times. so naturally, the virgin was the protagonist and you were supposed to agree with him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i've read a few rr wn's i've seen recommended here, but i mostly bounced off the most popular and highest rated ones i tried reading blind. i should have been reading from the trending list all along, because that has provided the unbelievably lovely amateur fiction rush i crave. it has so much beautiful garbage unfit for human consumption.

you'll probably love azarinth healer, then

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Some of the scifi ones are fairly readable.

Some of them are not.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kalas posted:

A Will Eternal is by far the series that made me break down laughing.

The main character had a very solid end goal and was a complete total dork.

Bai Xiaochun is such a wonderful main character, the occasional highly uncomfortable scene nonwithstanding, it's a shame you have to get over the hosed up idea of the aphrodesiac pill and kinda accept that as a dated slapstick device. He's such a simple character whose reactions you can plot via a flow chart, but they did a great job of raising the intensity of said reactions as he becomes more powerful, as well as placing him in increasingly interesting scenarios instead of just, "big bad, bigger bad, biggest bad", as well as great control of the tonal shift when he goes super serious. His first trip out of the sect and when he infiltrates the other sect are wonderful highlights.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

you'll probably love azarinth healer, then
even as a recommendation for someone who likes schlock oh god too much

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I just read the 7 Killers by Gu Long translation on Wuxiaworld, is this the best place to talk about it? It was good, but I got a bit confused.

Also, any other recommendations for Wuxia and Xianxia? I started Legend of the Condor Heroes, but that's an official translation and might be out of the scope of this thread.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I just read the 7 Killers by Gu Long translation on Wuxiaworld, is this the best place to talk about it? It was good, but I got a bit confused.

Also, any other recommendations for Wuxia and Xianxia? I started Legend of the Condor Heroes, but that's an official translation and might be out of the scope of this thread.

I don't think there's a thread for traditionally published wuxia, so this would be the closest one.

As for recommendations, I personally bounced off Jin Yong but Jin Yong, Gu Long and Liang Yusheng are the Three Classic Wuxia Authors. (The Chinese love compiling lists of Ten Best This and Five Classic That.) Just keep digging into their stuff, I guess.

If you want to try Xianxia, I personally like A Will Eternal. It's dumb, silly and fun.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I just started reading Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear web novel on syosetu.com. It is really great, is it worth reading the light novel after? Or the anime?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Does much traditionally published wuxia cross over to the west? Because I'd absolutely buy some if anyone was interested in selling it to me.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon got a wholeass critical darling movie adaptation and even that didn't manage to swing a translation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Does much traditionally published wuxia cross over to the west? Because I'd absolutely buy some if anyone was interested in selling it to me.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon got a wholeass critical darling movie adaptation and even that didn't manage to swing a translation.

The Legend of Condor Heroes is getting published:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083FL5PKS?searchxofy=true&binding=kindle_edition&ref_=dbs_s_aps_series_rwt_tkin

And it seems Gu Long has a bunch of online translations:

https://www.novelupdates.com/nauthor/gu-long/

I think that's about it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Reading chapter 2243 of Reverend Insanity reminded me why I like it so much. I was genuinely surprised by thing even though thing was set up properly in a completely appropriate manner spanning multiple chapters.... many arcs and hundreds of chapters before. You can just feel how much effort the author put in planning the whole thing.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Workaday Wizard posted:

Reading chapter 2243 of Reverend Insanity reminded me why I like it so much. I was genuinely surprised by thing even though thing was set up properly in a completely appropriate manner spanning multiple chapters.... many arcs and hundreds of chapters before. You can just feel how much effort the author put in planning the whole thing.

It's why I read the series. Author never fails to tie things back in together. Even brings up people that were a thousand chapters ago and shows what they are up to. I feel it really helps the story avoid falling into some of the issues other cultivator stories have.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm re-reading Practical Guide To Evil. It has a lot of great moments and fun plot lines, but I think this may just be the funniest chapter in the whole series: https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/2018/11/28/chapter-77-what-goes-around/. I was laughing the whole time I read it, and large segments of it work even out of context (source - shared some of the pithier jokes with my wife and she laughed).

One of the nice things is that the story by and large gets better with each book. The author gets better at creating humorous moments and epic moments alike as they gain experience.

Artificer posted:

What other things?

I'm not sure what you're looking for, so I'll just say that I enjoyed the first twoish story arcs of CCG. Shortly after White is introduced the story arcs stopped being interesting to me. The style of humor it is attempting I don't enjoy even when executed very well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

LLSix posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking for, so I'll just say that I enjoyed the first twoish story arcs of CCG. Shortly after White is introduced the story arcs stopped being interesting to me. The style of humor it is attempting I don't enjoy even when executed very well.

Ha. White showing up is when it goes from "generic, mediocre xianxia" to "I see why people keep recommending this now" for me.

It appears we have diametrically opposed tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ah, our shared nemesis has finally revealed themself.