Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's got an incredibly good voice for variants on the one role. Not gonna blame him for sticking to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Yeah, he's the voice-actor equivalent of a character actor. And writers for the projects he's involved in seem to understand this.

If Archer were given omnipotent powers in an alternate plane of existence, he would be exactly the same as The Master.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, he has a niche and he fills it well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2R9GWtXEk

he used to have a bit more range but he's honed in on his power role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q_cTrawKwc

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Implying that H. Jon Benjamin ever has or will peak is ludicrous.

besides, he peaked in h jon bejamin has a van.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, there’s some actors that do voice stuff where they have zero range but they fit a certain type of role so well that there’s basically no better casting. H Jon Benjamin, Lance Reddick, George Takei... actually of the people with no range that do VA I think H Jon Benjamin is the only one without a really successful live action career that drove the VA side of things. I remember seeing what he actually looked like after watching the first season of archer and being like :aaa:

Speaking of, anyone who hasn’t heard the story of the time he poo poo his car, look that up.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Imagine looking at someone who has had multiple long-running lead-role voice acting gigs and saying they peaked dozens of years ago, like I am, right now, saying he peaked on Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.

H Jon Benjamin is a treasure and we must protect him at all costs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
No Venture Brothers to talk about thread go crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nikumatic posted:

Implying that H. Jon Benjamin ever has or will peak is ludicrous.

besides, he peaked in h jon bejamin has a van.

He peaked in the first episode with cashstall. https://www.cc.com/video/ioo8ya/jon-benjamin-has-a-van-cash-stall

Border was an amazing episode. Pretraumatic stress disorder makes me laugh right now just remembering jon glazer screaming while doing pushups and situps.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I remember seeing what he actually looked like after watching the first season of archer and being like :aaa:

I have a gay friend who told us never to speak of H Jon Benjamin again after loving his character on Archer and then finding out what he really looks like. He was just soooo disappointed

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'll say he peaked in Home Movies until he has a moment that surpasses him throwing the door open, raising a six pack, bellowing "LET THE GAMES BEGIN," then crashing to Earth when he remembers it is a children's birthday party

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The DVD special where Archer suffers a horrible accident and comes out of surgery looking like H Jon Benjamin is amazing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know how you guys can think he didn't peak in home movies, which is goddamn hilarious. When his career highlights after that are an animated sitcom that's blander than plain oatmeal. And archer, which is just nothing but references to past jokes and catchphrases. Dude might be talented but his selection of work is dire

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah, there’s some actors that do voice stuff where they have zero range but they fit a certain type of role so well that there’s basically no better casting. H Jon Benjamin, Lance Reddick, George Takei... actually of the people with no range that do VA I think H Jon Benjamin is the only one without a really successful live action career that drove the VA side of things. I remember seeing what he actually looked like after watching the first season of archer and being like :aaa:

Clancy Brown for me. It wasn't until I saw him in Mandalorian that I realized how tall that fucker it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think people are just using different definitions of peaked. His popularity was never higher than Archer, but I think many folks would point to different works as being where he was funniest and his comedic voice was able to shine through the most. Archer feels like a gig where he can only bring so much to the table, but does it extremely well in that capacity. Jon Benjamin Has a Van is purely his voice, but doesn't have a solid framework to hang it on and is more a loose gag-fest. But to me, Home Movies feels like a perfect balance of writing and character and premise providing a perfect framework for him to shine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

Clancy Brown for me. It wasn't until I saw him in Mandalorian that I realized how tall that fucker it.

You never saw The Shawshank Redemption? For shame!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Sash! posted:

I'll say he peaked in Home Movies until he has a moment that surpasses him throwing the door open, raising a six pack, bellowing "LET THE GAMES BEGIN," then crashing to Earth when he remembers it is a children's birthday party

Not only are you saying he peaked, which is just so wrong on so many levels, you didn't even choose SPAGHETTI TIME.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Speaking of, anyone who hasn’t heard the story of the time he poo poo his car, look that up.

This is Patrick Warburton erasure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Bee posted:

This is Patrick Warburton erasure.

Even he was known from his Seinfeld role when he first really got into VA.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Even he was known from his Seinfeld role when he first really got into VA.

Yeah, for many years, and even to this day sometimes, when his voice shows up in a cartoon, people will say, "Hey, it's Puddy!" Or, sometimes, you might hear, "Hey, it's the Tick!"

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

All y'all have clearly not heard H. John Benjamin's pants making GBS threads story. He did it in a car and the hotel staff that he was staying at cleaned the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkGgm-yzOE

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fartington Butts posted:

All y'all have clearly not heard H. John Benjamin's pants making GBS threads story. He did it in a car and the hotel staff that he was staying at cleaned the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmkGgm-yzOE

:colbert:

But seriously it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, for many years, and even to this day sometimes, when his voice shows up in a cartoon, people will say, "Hey, it's Puddy!" Or, sometimes, you might hear, "Hey, it's the Tick!"

He actually came up in another thread that his Kronk and Brock voices sound almost the same, but you'd never mistake one for the other both because of the different way he plays them and the strong writing for both. His Buzz Lightyear also comes to mind; still almost the same but with the genuine cheesy earnestness that absolutely fits the criminally underserved cartoon.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

:colbert:

But seriously it’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.

Whoops. Sorry, I was skimming posts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

You never saw The Shawshank Redemption? For shame!

:aaa:

I've seen that movie a million times and never put two and two together that he was Capt Hadley. :psyduck: Holy poo poo, I need to flail myself for that.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
And I gave that guy five dollars

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

I've seen that movie a million times and never put two and two together that he was Capt Hadley. :psyduck: Holy poo poo, I need to flail myself for that.

He was amazing in Carnivale, too. Another show cancelled too soon by HBO suits.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

He's also the villian in Highlander.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jack Ketch posted:

He's also the villian in Highlander.

And he's Mister Krabs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pnumoman posted:

Not only are you saying he peaked, which is just so wrong on so many levels, you didn't even choose SPAGHETTI TIME.

S-s-sssssSWORDS

Though for my money his tour de force is that I’ve never heard animated barfing that’s more authentic than in the Renaissance Faire one. poo poo deserves some kind of barf trophy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfBTUQxh9oc

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 14, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Brickfrog!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Clancy Brown is Sgt Zimm in starship troopers as well. Perfect casting in an amazing movie. I liked it as sci-fi as a kid and as a great critique of fascism as an adult.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had no idea he was an actual actor until a few moments ago. Dude will always be lex luthor and neo cortex to me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

I had no idea he was an actual actor until a few moments ago. Dude will always be lex luthor and neo cortex to me

To be fair him being Lex Luther alone would have been enough to make him a legend, let alone all his other roles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHPfS69JwQ

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sash! posted:

as a brain-poisoned CSPAMer, yes his peak was in Home Movies, but it's the scene where he talks about putting orange juice on cereal and he never thought to do it because of capitalism

(someone set it to gy!be in a tweet once and I cannot find it anymore but it made it even better)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DACK FAYDEN posted:

as a brain-poisoned CSPAMer, yes his peak was in Home Movies, but it's the scene where he talks about putting orange juice on cereal and he never thought to do it because of capitalism

(someone set it to gy!be in a tweet once and I cannot find it anymore but it made it even better)

Go watch Jon Benjamin Has a Van. You only really need to watch the first episode. That's peak Jon Benjamin. Cash Stall. Pre-TSD. Border. So much of that first episode sticks with me a decade later.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your loving with me right? You're not, what in the gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Always reminded of all of the characters Steve Blum played, being mostly Wolverine and characters who really want to be Wolverine, he also played Guilmon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair him being Lex Luther alone would have been enough to make him a legend, let alone all his other roles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCHPfS69JwQ

Jeffrey Combs will always be Question and Weyoun to me. Though, I surprisingly liked him in 4400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Venture Compound energy radiates from this tweet

https://twitter.com/TheEnergeiaBoy/status/1360668078460272647?s=19