Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I continue to maintain this movie is good. Not GREAT, but very very solid.

Still a bit frustrating that given how much of the film is about the collateral damage of war, that it so painfully obvious that the villain was originally an affected civilian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-2G6BEibw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

That's exactly why Eddie/Fish Guy is so dangerous - he plays on appearing pathetic with his constant whining of "Daaaaaaaaak... he's making *fun* of ME!" and whinging about not having real power, but that's just a facade he puts on so Dak/Putty Thing keeps cowtowing to him. He acts pathetic because it works. When he gets the mask he drops Dak like a bad penny and goes on a rampage solo, becoming an outright bully - because that's what Eddie IS. A bully. A manipulative little narcissist who makes people their worst selves. It worked on Dak, and it worked on the audience of children watching him, but any adult watching would notice the manipulations inherent in his actions and realise that it's a waste of pity. It's Putty Thing who'll never make anything of himself because Eddie keeps him on a bad path. Dak is the Victim.

Did come up that the show actually does a lot with the effects of the Mask too, and its effects of stripping inhibitions and showing people their true selves... or at least, their true wants and desires. Which isn't always a good thing. Been brought up that the Mask is almost therapeutic for some sympathetic characters, and there's points where Stanley gets excited or emotional enough that some of the Mask's mannerisms are recognisable in him, while for the villains, you'd think it'd rarely make a big difference for the over-the-top literal cartoon villains, but it actually tends to make them worse in the long run. Dr Pretorious at least starts off with a pretence of doing what he does for science, but when wearing the mask he realises and admits that he really just likes being a villain and causing destruction, and in episodes after his schemes become increasingly flimsy excuses for doing so.

And then there's the episode where the Mask gets split vertically (I think that's also the episode where Walter tries to wear it and it doesn't fit) and one half gets worn by an old school bully of Stanley's, who is terrified by his Mask side that goes right into sadistic murderer. (Which, while not only exploring the former bully's personality as he's actively trying to reform because of how badly his tendencies have ruined his life, explains a LOT about Stanley- and why as the Mask he basically goes the hardest after bullies who abuse their power on the weak)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hedrigall posted:

Compare and contrast two direct to video spinoff/spiritual sequels from almost the same time:

Bartok the Magnificent (1999)
- poo poo, but memorable
- kinda catchy songs
- hilarious transformation fetish musical number
- pops with colour in every frame
- pretty good vocal performances across the board even though I hate Hank Azaria’s shtick
- Tim Curry is a giant skull doorway that asks riddles
- a goddam bat and bear on an adventure to get magical artifacts for the real actual Baba Yaga so that they can uncover a plot by a wicked regent who has a voluptuous macro dragon fursona that she turns into at the end, oh and it’s also tsarist russian history

Joseph: King of Dreams (2000)
- competent, but boring as batshit
- songs completely dull and unmemorable, I would have preferred the Andrew Lloyd Webber music
- okay dream sequences I guess
- mostly orange and brown colour scheme through whole movie
- I couldn’t pick out any famous voices, Mark Hamill was Judah but he was phoning it in
- wants to be The Prince of Egypt
- lame bible poo poo, not even drawing from the good horror stuff from the bible, just a boring morality fable

I have good memories of some of the songs from Joseph King of Dreams. I mean, sure, You Know Better Than I is kind of preachy, but I still like it. Miracle Child is straight up good.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
In spite of everyone's skepticism toward to paranormal, Daphne and Fred successfully ride a magic carpet when fred says the magic words correctly.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You guys weren't kidding about Earwig, huh? My kids are 3 and 7 and both of them and why I turned the movie off halfway through. How do you just end the poo poo like that?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

You guys weren't kidding about Earwig, huh? My kids are 3 and 7 and both of them and why I turned the movie off halfway through. How do you just end the poo poo like that?

So... did you hit the end of it? Because it feels like it ends halfway through.

I'm slightly reserving hope that this is Ghibli's "test" for CG stuff. If they think it positive then... maybe something else will come out that's better. If they think it negative then... they'll go back to the old way. Win win.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I don't think you can recreate the Ghibli feeling of animation unless you have really competent CG artists

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

So... did you hit the end of it? Because it feels like it ends halfway through.

I'm slightly reserving hope that this is Ghibli's "test" for CG stuff. If they think it positive then... maybe something else will come out that's better. If they think it negative then... they'll go back to the old way. Win win.

Yeah we watched it to the "end" and my kids were legit kind of mad and definitely confused.

The movie was really inconsistent but had some interesting ideas, I guess. I'm assuming the book is the same way though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Failson Goro

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

In spite of everyone's skepticism toward to paranormal, Daphne and Fred successfully ride a magic carpet when fred says the magic words correctly.

One of the things Fred is really good for is open unabashed enthusiasm towards weird stuff.

The Supernatural crossover comes to mind, where Sam and Dean outright tell them that monsters are real. (the episode uses the first series incarnations of the characters- literally dropping them into a specific episode, even) Daphne and Velma are terrified and demand the boys share some weapons, Shaggy is just like 'I TOLD you, I loving TOLD you' and Fred's just disappointed they've been chasing old dudes in masks all the time when they could have been hunting Dracula.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah we watched it to the "end" and my kids were legit kind of mad and definitely confused.

The movie was really inconsistent but had some interesting ideas, I guess. I'm assuming the book is the same way though.

The biggest problem for me with the movie is that Earwig doesn't really undergo any meaningful change as a character. She's the same as she was in the beginning of the film. And as a viewer, I didn't feel I underwent any change. I didn't learn anything. I didn't have new insights. It was like ordering a fantastic chicken dinner from a fancy restaurant and getting Chicken McNuggets.

The closest thing to an interesting character arc was the Mandrake. They did a good job developing him. And that's what's frustrating. Had the film been a total misfire, it would have been more interesting than what we got. Instead, we got something that has a lot of good elements, but is poorly executed.

To put it another way - Goro made a movie about someone becoming a witch, and I had no emotional investment. Hayao made a film about the guy who designed the Zeroes, and I'm touched deeply by it.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Goro made a movie about someone becoming a witch
Even this part was kinda weak. She just... knows how to do the spells with complicated incantations. I thought there might be a part where she fucks up saying the words, but nah. She just pulls it all off.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Fartington Butts posted:

Even this part was kinda weak. She just... knows how to do the spells with complicated incantations. I thought there might be a part where she fucks up saying the words, but nah. She just pulls it all off.

Yeah.

And I thought about it this morning, and if I had kids, I wouldn't want them watching this because the message is that it's okay to be manipulative.

You had an easy story path there Goro! Make her manipulativeness cause serious problems that makes Erica feel bad.

Really, this was Episode 3 of an anime series, and they just turned it into a feature film for some unknown reason.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the things Fred is really good for is open unabashed enthusiasm towards weird stuff.

The Supernatural crossover comes to mind, where Sam and Dean outright tell them that monsters are real. (the episode uses the first series incarnations of the characters- literally dropping them into a specific episode, even) Daphne and Velma are terrified and demand the boys share some weapons, Shaggy is just like 'I TOLD you, I loving TOLD you' and Fred's just disappointed they've been chasing old dudes in masks all the time when they could have been hunting Dracula.

What I like about the original is that it is uninterested in this kind of question. Everyone basically accepts the supernatural at face value, rejects it when presented with evidence, and encounters a bunch of weird poo poo along the way. There aren't really stories, it's half an hour of unrelated mania that resolves without thought. They couldn't make Scooby Doo this funny anymore. Everyone takes him, and their jobs making animated cartoons, too seriously

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Megera posted:

I don't think you can recreate the Ghibli feeling of animation unless you have really competent CG artists

5 years ago maybe, but at this point I disagree honestly. There’s a small army of amateurs using nothing more than Blender to create some pretty convincing imitations in 3D already. If you had an actual studio doing it I think they could pull it off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think spider verse actually did it really effectively, if they had Sony money I think they could pull it off

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Far as anime CG movies go Earwig looks way above average, but that's more about a lack of competition than anything else since there aren't that many studios doing high quality CG anime film out there.

It would have looked nicer if it came out before that Lupin CG film, which is a visual delight and has spoiled me a bit for that kind of stuff going forward.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Earwig has a CG quality just slightly above garbage US episodic shows. It is not good. Could have been serviceable if the story was any good... But... Welp.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Earwig has a CG quality just slightly above garbage US episodic shows. It is not good. Could have been serviceable if the story was any good... But... Welp.

I didn't feel as if the animation was so bad, I think the main thing it was missing was exaggeration. The characters' faces never distort to highten emotion. I think that's why Thomas the cat and the Mandrake are actually interesting visually, because they have features that get exaggerated and are fun to look at.

I really feel like I could spend a while dismantling the film. There's a lot of things they could have done, but didn't.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cemetry Gator posted:

I didn't feel as if the animation was so bad, I think the main thing it was missing was exaggeration. The characters' faces never distort to highten emotion. I think that's why Thomas the cat and the Mandrake are actually interesting visually, because they have features that get exaggerated and are fun to look at.

I really feel like I could spend a while dismantling the film. There's a lot of things they could have done, but didn't.

Yeah it wasn't that it was like.. just so egregiously bad. More that it was so middle of the road, that I can't understand how anybody thought that was up to standards for a Ghibli release.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Reminder that the current state of cg tv anime is basically roosterteeth/rbwy for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCPQe9g-TE

So yeah it's not hard to look better than that, but Earwig is still well below other theatrical efforts like Lupin the 1st

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad Lupin nailed it right out of the gate. I rewatched The First the other day and it still slaps. I love how the superweapon resembles some sort of JRPG megaboss.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The United States posted:

Reminder that the current state of cg tv anime is basically roosterteeth/rbwy for comparison

So yeah it's not hard to look better than that, but Earwig is still well below other theatrical efforts like Lupin the 1st

i would not say ex-Arm is a particularly good example of anything other than how a mismanaged project will look like crap. Sanzigen and Orange are both consistently putting out better tv work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

honestly that looks like weightless things flapping at each other

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Woah woah woah that production is a travesty, cg anime has come a long way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZF4fJrPMC8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXsURQxoGe8

Earwig looks worse than most western cg tv shows though, which is pretty sad. Like this studio in Vancouver that does preschool shows has nicer visuals: https://www.iconcreativestudio.com/reel

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I sigh at all the mentions of CG anime and no one mentioning the Golden Age of 3D Anime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskHytzMIrE

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

I sigh at all the mentions of CG anime and no one mentioning the Golden Age of 3D Anime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskHytzMIrE

cubix was korean

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I mean that looks like garbage but I can at least respect the level of detail in the animations. Those CG animes just look incredibly low effort.

Or low budget is probably more appropriate

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh ,yeah, I unironically enjoyed Cubix. It's just aged quite a bit.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I predict plasticy CG is gonna age better than "the perfect shader" cg. It's charming like puppets!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also a lot of effort in that show went into the robots, THATs where the imagination comes in. The fight between Cubix and Kilobot where Kilobot finally steals Cubix's ability to become modular and traps his individual cubes between his own parts so that he couldn't reform was pretty rad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh man. I haven’t seen that in ages. I think I saw like 3 episodes on BBC at some point? Including what I assume was the finale where someone stole Cubix and his powers? Or something. It’s all very vague but it looked kind of entertainingly stupid to young me.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also a lot of effort in that show went into the robots, THATs where the imagination comes in. The fight between Cubix and Kilobot where Kilobot finally steals Cubix's ability to become modular and traps his individual cubes between his own parts so that he couldn't reform was pretty rad.

Oh there we go. I saw that. That was pretty metal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't quite know if this is the right place for this, but weird youtube animator Joel Guerra released a new short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juBv2XWnwt8

I struggle a little to describe this. It's a semi-sensical adventure which takes place in something like a dreamworld stylized after Microsoft Encarta's MindMaze.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

infinity train was un-cancelled and there's going to be a gumball movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The 7th Guest posted:

infinity train was un-cancelled

It was?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It might never have been cancelled. From Simon's VA:

https://twitter.com/KyleMcCarley/status/1361868134723051521

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1362099496679800834?s=20

h e l l y e a h

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

what's it like to be on a show that gets multiple seasons at a time :cry:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So Disenchantment Season 3ish...

I haven't quite finished. 2 episodes to go. But I think this is the last season I will watch.
I found season 1 to be uneven, but mostly salvaged by a pretty great last 3 episodes.
Then season 2 hit the reset button, meandered around and had a pretty good last 3 episodes. Enough where I felt like I wanted to watch season3 at least. Though I barely remember what was in season 2. Probably not a good sign.

And now 3. This really feels like a show that has no idea what it wants to be. A fun fantasy romp? A serious story driven piece? Simpsons?
Worst thing, there's a lot less Luci. On the one hand great, because you don't get the Bender effect where a popular character causes everything to revolve around him/her/it, on the other I really like Luci and I miss his sarcasm. And without him there's no one pointing out Elfo is an idiot.
The king was always a little annoying, but his subplot drags and drags and he's mighty annoying.
Not Ralph was also annoying and is unceremonially dumped by the wayside after running the show the first episodes. It just feels so weird like the show doesn't want to commit.
The whole side tangent with the mermaid was simultaneously interesting, but also didn't really do anything lasting making it a waste of time.
I feel like every part of the story is this coin which just keeps flipping between its good and bad sides. :(
A shame, because I do like Bean and some of the other characters a lot. I do enjoy seeing how some of the characters get a new leash on life. Like Oona who I hated in season 1 but is actually pretty cool.

I'll finish it, but I do wonder if they can salvage this like they did the last seasons. I don't have a lot of hope though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The new Lupin the III movie was alright. Just WOW at Lupin's animation. The action scenes are all a lot of fun and it's insane seeing CG go full kinetic energy cartoon any time he moves. Every character who isn't Lupin is pretty stiff, but I'm not sure how big the team working on it was.

The plot's nothing to write home about, but it's fun enough and I'll be looking forward to seeing the next one.

One thing it did was really convince me that this is the direction the Phoenix Wright movie should have gone, that's a real missed opportunity.