Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There was one year with the absolute worst lineup that was maybe the worst run in WHM history. I think it was the Vibes and Letters From Death Row Year? Maybe it was two years?

But gently caress this year rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Letter From Death Row episode is great :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Pest is the only movie on the docket I have not seen and I don't know if I should bite the bullet or not.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

weekly font posted:

There was one year with the absolute worst lineup that was maybe the worst run in WHM history. I think it was the Vibes and Letters From Death Row Year? Maybe it was two years?

Plugging something that even as a Patreon subscriber I didn't know existing until recently, inside the private Google Drive link they give you with all the old episodes there's a spreadsheet that effectively has metadata (dates, special months, movie years, etc, playtimes) for all the episodes. It's loving awesome as I love statistics style summaries of poo poo (not being sarcastic).

Anyway, this allowed me to very quickly filter on LRM by year and I have to say 2017 still stands out to me as the worst slate of movies. I very clearly remember the combination of Last Airbender and Ultraviolet being what killed the guys' souls.

Btw just talking about episode quality as opposed to the slate itself, 2015 I think is the BEST as that gave us Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Cyber Seduction, and Devil's Advocate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crowetron posted:

The Pest is the only movie on the docket I have not seen and I don't know if I should bite the bullet or not.

It’s terrible. Like, truly terrible. I bet you can’t guess what the movie is actually an adaptation of.

The Most Dangerous Game

I know, right? Don’t watch it. I haven’t seen it in decades, but I remember it being unwatchably bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So did any goons get their movie requests chosen?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm sure there's some people in here who haven't seen it, but please watch Goodfellas if that's you. It's absolutely one of the all-time greats.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have got to say, I consider myself to have a strong stomach, but the one-two punch of Eric's "gravy" bit actually made me dry heave on the commute.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

thrawn527 posted:

It’s terrible. Like, truly terrible. I bet you can’t guess what the movie is actually an adaptation of.

The Most Dangerous Game

I know, right? Don’t watch it. I haven’t seen it in decades, but I remember it being unwatchably bad.

but on the other hand, getting completely shitfaced and renting the movie on amazon could be a lot of fun.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Also which one of you goons called in to complain?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

dorium posted:

but on the other hand, getting completely shitfaced and renting the movie on amazon could be a lot of fun.

Did you watch the opening credits I posted because that's probably the movie's high point

As a survivor of The Pest I am here to tell you 1) it is mandatory viewing ahead of the episode 2) you can't fit enough intoxicants into your bloodstream

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

DoombatINC posted:

Did you watch the opening credits I posted because that's probably the movie's high point

As a survivor of The Pest I am here to tell you 1) it is mandatory viewing ahead of the episode 2) you can't fit enough intoxicants into your bloodstream

I’ve seen the pest multiple times because I had a cousin who FUCKIN LOVED it as a kid so he had that permanently jammed into the VCR growing up but also it was one of those lazy Saturday afternoon USA Network movies that we would be stuck in the house for whatever reason and it would just be on sometimes. This happened for most of my childhood. I’m looking forward to the guys eviscerating this movie but also it’s a weird touchstone for me.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Billy Gnosis posted:

Letter From Death Row episode is great :colbert:

Yeah how can you possibly hate an episode that gives us the "Dad Room" and Bruce Glover refusing to leave Bret's house?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

dorium posted:

I’ve seen the pest multiple times because I had a cousin who FUCKIN LOVED it as a kid so he had that permanently jammed into the VCR growing up but also it was one of those lazy Saturday afternoon USA Network movies that we would be stuck in the house for whatever reason and it would just be on sometimes. This happened for most of my childhood. I’m looking forward to the guys eviscerating this movie but also it’s a weird touchstone for me.

It never even occurred to me that this movie could be someone's childhood Just Put It On movie, it seems more like the kind of movie that would convince a family that VCR ownership isn't for them

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, Eric makes a pretty bad Holocaust joke in the Gremlins 2 episode that I feel like the gang just Westworlds right past because oof.

They're talking about Lego Dimensions and joking about ridiculous properties that could be a part of it. He makes a comment about burning plastic for Schindler's List.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

weekly font posted:

It was fantastic, because every week Jupin's "what are you assholes DOING to us?" shitck got a little more frantic.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

DoombatINC posted:

It never even occurred to me that this movie could be someone's childhood Just Put It On movie, it seems more like the kind of movie that would convince a family that VCR ownership isn't for them

It got so bad at one point. Having to watch my cousin recite the opening rap to my uncles with the full on racist Asian stereotype voice and everyone busting a gut. Woof.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have something to admit....

I’ve never seen Goodfellas.
I don’ like gangster movies....

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enigmahfc posted:

I'll draw fire for you and say I kind of like The Pest. The production design is fun, and there's a distinctly POC perspective that was rare for movies at that time. The villains are explicitly Nazis, iirc, and the minor villains in those frat boys they meet at the club are depicted without any sense of inferiority or intimidation. You don't for a second think that John Leguizamo wishes he were like any white character in that film. Whiteness is mildly grotesque in The Pest, without leaning on any "white dudes drive like this" hackery about it. It's just taken for granted that the gaze of the film is a POC one. And it's purestrain 90s, fisheye lens and all. Always gonna have a soft spot for movies that look like Warped Tour posters.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

You should watch this one, at least once, to give it a shot. It does not look at gangsters like they're a good thing, like The Godfather does (as much as I love The Godfather). It's a fantastic movie.

Huego posted:

I'll draw fire for you and say I kind of like The Pest. The production design is fun, and there's a distinctly POC perspective that was rare for movies at that time. The villains are explicitly Nazis, iirc, and the minor villains in those frat boys they meet at the club are depicted without any sense of inferiority or intimidation. You don't for a second think that John Leguizamo wishes he were like any white character in that film. Whiteness is mildly grotesque in The Pest, without leaning on any "white dudes drive like this" hackery about it. It's just taken for granted that the gaze of the film is a POC one. And it's purestrain 90s, fisheye lens and all. Always gonna have a soft spot for movies that look like Warped Tour posters.

That makes sense, I can certainly understand that point of view. I'm not going to say that it changes my opinion of the movie, but I can appreciate that way of looking at it.

I'm still not going to watch it again.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thrawn527 posted:

It does not look at gangsters like they're a good thing

Seems like an odd choice for a pro-mafia podcast :thunk:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

It does not look at gangsters like they're a good thing, like The Godfather does (as much as I love The Godfather).

No it doesn't. None of the movies in the trilogy do. One of the threads that runs through the whole thing is that becoming involved in the criminal part of the Corleone family totally ruins Michael's life. Bad things happen to literally everyone involved.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose Oquendo posted:

No it doesn't. None of the movies in the trilogy do. One of the threads that runs through the whole thing is that becoming involved in the criminal part of the Corleone family totally ruins Michael's life. Bad things happen to literally everyone involved.

Nah, in The Godfather being a gangster is glamorous and fun until it's not. That's a message that never really gets across - look at how many people idolize Tony Montana. In Goodfellas you never get a moment to relax. From the very beginning being a gangster is a queasy, dangerous experience where you have to spend every minute sucking up to stupid assholes. Nobody tells anybody to get their shine box in The Godfather. Even when the gangsters fight amongst each other there's an anesthetizing theatricality to it. It's not a study in petty cruelty the way Goodfellas is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Huego posted:

Nah, in The Godfather being a gangster is glamorous and fun until it's not. That's a message that never really gets across - look at how many people idolize Tony Montana.

Huh?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Dolla dolla bills y’all

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

dorium posted:

Dolla dolla bills y’all
That's the shirt right next to the Betty Boop one

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DoombatINC posted:

When I was 18 I had a crush on a coworker who was 27, and she loved The Pest and let me borrow the VHS so I could see it.

That's my story about the time I watched The Pest, and honestly that's the only thing I remember about it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Goodfellas has my favorite Rolling Stones song in it; Monkey Man!

Great movie but I dunno it I expect it to be a fun episode. I’ve come to realize that WLM just isn’t doing it for me most of the time.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Holy poo poo, the Gleep Glossary is about Runt Ekwesh!

God, I remember reading the X-wing books with him in it and the whole time I kept going "...is he just a horse?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’d argue that is more accomplished by parts 2 and 3. Part 1 really focuses on honor and loyalty in the mafia. Vito is an honorable Don because he refuses to start selling drugs. Those who do, and those who betray the family, all meet terrible ends. He grants favors to those who are loyal to him and his family. I’ve read interviews where people in the FBI said they hated that movie, because before it came out, it was easy as hell to get people in the mafia to flip, because no one cared about loyalty. After it came out, Then, suddenly everyone started acting like The Godfather was real life. Honor, respect, and loyalty was important in organized crime. Part 2 is where they start exploring how terrible this all is, and start destroying the family, but I was specifically talking about part 1.

In Goodfellas, everything good is surface level at best, based solely around money. Everyone is paranoid, attacking each other, and betraying each other. There’s no glamorizing going on. Our main character is lured in by what he thinks the mob is, and learns how horrible it really is.

They’re both great, by the way, but for different reasons.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

dorium posted:

Dolla dolla bills y’all

Do you have any Tweety Bird gangsta shirts back there?
Or Bort Sampsin smoking a j

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I just thought of an AD wildcard I wish I'd called in with.

Growing up in the UK our Turtles were Hero instead of Ninja. For the longest time I was honestly wondering if I'd misremembered my childhood until I thought to Google it. Turns out I was remembering correctly, and the UK government had an actual stupid ban against referencing ninjas and showing nunchucks, apparently some kind of leftover moral panic from the 80s. Not only was the theme song changed with every ninja replaced with hero, but it cut down on Michelangelo's scenes pretty hard since he wasn't allowed to do his thing, at least until they realised it was ridiculous and fixed it by adding different versions of scenes where now he has a loving grappling hook (which is somehow less violent? :confused:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles#Teenage_Mutant_%22Hero%22_Turtles posted:

The policies also had other effects, such as editing out use of Michelangelo's nunchaku (which were at the time banned by James Ferman, chairman of the BBFC, from appearing in films) and generally toning down the usage of all the turtles' weapons. The showrunners elected to remove Michelangelo's nunchaku entirely during season four; replacing them with a grappling hook called the "Turtle Line" that served as Mikey's signature weapon for the rest of the show's run.

So basically I think an AD episode on the UK version would be interesting, especially if they did it Nexus style and watched the two different versions of a series four episode back to back to directly compare and discuss.

Guess I'll set a reminder on this for next year. :)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I knew about that, but didn't know about Mikey with a grappling hook. That's great. I sometimes wonder how scared you guys were of ninjas and smile about simpler times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't see anyone can watch Godfather 1 and 2 (3 was never made) and come away with the perception that being in the mob is anything but bad.

Christ, the whole saga is how Michael lost his whole entire family and that all the efforts his father made to keep him out of that life were for naught. The disappointment on Vito's face when he comes out of his coma is rather palpable. Micahel's mother further drives this home in the penultimate scene of the second film ("how can a man lose his family?") and then flashes back to him saying "I have my own plans for the future" during a family dinner in the concluding scene.

Even the first film has that montage of everyone getting killed while Michael is at church and the message there seems pretty clear I think.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
My problem with gangster movies is the idiot fans who talk about how badass everyone in goodfellas is or how it shows how "real men" should act not those wannabe gangsters in the cities. Which I know isnt really a valid reason not to like them but because of that I was just never a fan.

Or god the people who brag about how the mafia actually has honor and never snitches on anyone and use the movie Goodfellas as an example.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

When I hear men (because let’s be honest it’s mainly men) say this I just assume they really mean “I will kill/betray my family and friends if I see that they are impeding or thwarting my attempts at money but also I do everything for family but also they should probably die. Hey get me some gabagool”.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The new AD episode on Popeye is an all-time classic.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Firstborn posted:

I knew about that, but didn't know about Mikey with a grappling hook. That's great. I sometimes wonder how scared you guys were of ninjas and smile about simpler times.

At some point they just got rid of Mickey's nunchucks in the later American seasons and that's around the time I stopped watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I relistened to Copycat the other day and what a fantastic episode that is.