Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

surf rock posted:

Oh, sorry, this is awkward; I was referring to the English dub voice actor, Christine Marie Cabanos. I thought that Madoka was kind of a blank-slate character, but hearing the same voice actor play someone with a Looney Tunes level of zaniness like Mako Mankanshoku has been a delight.

She's very good and I'm always pleased to here her in like.. Disgaea 5 or Puyo Tetris and stuff. I was kinda honestly hoping she'd be Charlotta in Granblue Versus..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rough translation of the Healin Good finale summary:

A while has passed since Asumi and the Healing Animals had returned home, and now Nodoka, Chiyu, and Hinata have received an invitation to visit the Healing Garden. The adult Healing Animals show their gratitude, while the children welcome them with their gazes of respect. However, rather than greeting them nicely, Sarurou, who thought of purifying the humans as well, scolds them.

During their visit, the Sukoyaka Manjuu they brought as gifts summoned a Megabyougen. There's now something the Cures still have to treat, but they're having difficulty with the six skillfully coordinated Sukoyaka Manjuu Megabyougen. While watching and from the sidelines, Rate's forehead gem soon shines in response to her prayers. What appears from that light is...

From the description it looks like the Byogens are staying dead aside from a random monster next week. Also sounds like Latte will summon Cure Summer somehow and that’s how we get our cameo.

Also, since she has Shindoine’s remnants inside her doesn’t that technically make Asumi partially a Byogen now?

Hoping there’s a time skip as well as I’d kind of like to see these girls as adults (Nodoka probably becomes a doctor or something).

Given the appearance of the Healing Animals I’m guessing the movie takes place sometime during the series after all despite coming out later, we’ll see I suppose.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 15, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Interesting thing I just found out. The Byo-Gens are the first villain faction in Pretty Cure History to not have a single member turn good, or survive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Interesting thing I just found out. The Byo-Gens are the first villain faction in Pretty Cure History to not have a single member turn good, or survive.

Actually, Never Ending Chaos from Maho Girls got completely wiped out as well if I recall

Also I just found out that one of the cut episodes would have involved Hinata’s mom, no idea why they decided to drop that one.

Hinata should have her own solo movie/special to make up for all the focus she got cheated out of.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 15, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Gotta say that I'm just delighted by running into so much of the Madoka Magica crew all over Kill la Kill. I think the only main cast member who isn't in there is Lauren Landa (Kyoko).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Actually, Never Ending Chaos from Maho Girls got completely wiped out as well if I recall

Maho Girls is weird cause there were two villain groups and the first was kind of subordinate of the second and did have survivors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maho Girls is weird cause there were two villain groups and the first was kind of subordinate of the second and did have survivors.

In fact, I’m pretty sure the entire first set of villains from that series survived (three of the generals were just animals transformed by dark magic and the second in command definitely made it out. Don’t remember if the leader actually survived or if the aforementioned second just carried around a dummy that looked like him though).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Laura and Manatsu’s VAs recently appeared in a Japanese McDonalds commercial, you can hear the former about 4 seconds in:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5U74657uvh8

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Julias posted:

It was a very middle of the road season for me. Definitely a step up from how bland Star Twinkle was, but I didn't care for the mascot characters

I am the exact opposite in every way, I adored every minute of Star Twinkle but Healin' Good did nothing for me... EXCEPT for the mascot characters who I absolutely loved. But they weren't enough to save the season for me overall, I dropped it about halfway through and I don't think I'll pick it back up again. :shrug:

Tropical Rouge is looking really fun though and I have been a big fan of Ai Fairouz for a while. I'm super excited for next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good FINALE: That was a cute finale. A nice trip to the Healing Garden and following up with all the characters, and the obligatory cameo from Manatsu. No time skip. But it did its job well. Healin' Good was a pretty good season at the end of the day, and I especially enjoyed having Aoi Yuki and Mimorin on my screen every week. Did good for itself despite the pandemic.

That said, it really could have been streamlined better considering they knew they were losing a few episodes after the hiatus. For example, somehow a literal clip show was worth keeping but more Hinata-centric episodes (apparently including a story about her mom) were not.

All that aside, I liked most of the characters and the final arc was decent enough (as was the volleyball episode). Tropical Rouge is looking good though so hopefully it’ll consistently be able to live up to the hype its been generating.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 21, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

That said, it really could have been streamlined better considering they knew they were losing a few episodes after the hiatus. For example, somehow a literal clip show was worth keeping but more Hinata-centric episodes (apparently including a story about her mom) were not.

I imagine it's a lot more cost effective, especially time wise, to animate clip show ep than a full episode of new material, which would makes sense given they were dealing with a hiatus due to covid that affected the production of the show as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

I imagine it's a lot more cost effective, especially time wise, to animate clip show ep than a full episode of new material, which would makes sense given they were dealing with a hiatus due to covid that affected the production of the show as well

Fair, though there were probably a few standard filler episodes that could have easily gotten axed as well. Ah well, while it’s probably not making my top favorites list I thought the show was still fairly decent overall personally (especially the last chunk of episodes).

Anyway, now that we’ve said Healin Goodbye to our current team I’m looking forward to a tropical vacation (like I said, hopefully the series will stay as good as it looks so far).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 21, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

I am the exact opposite in every way, I adored every minute of Star Twinkle but Healin' Good did nothing for me... EXCEPT for the mascot characters who I absolutely loved. But they weren't enough to save the season for me overall, I dropped it about halfway through and I don't think I'll pick it back up again. :shrug:

Tropical Rouge is looking really fun though and I have been a big fan of Ai Fairouz for a while. I'm super excited for next week.

The fact they ended up having Nodoka dunking super hard on Daruizen solidly put Healing Good on the good but not great for me. Hype for Tropical Rouge though and all in for a silly season (Though I'm vigilant given how Kira Kira started out being silly and we saw how that went).

Larryb posted:

Fair, though there were probably a few standard filler episodes that could have easily gotten axed as well. Ah well, while it’s probably not making my top favorites list I thought the show was still fairly decent overall personally (especially the last chunk of episodes).

Anyway, now that we’ve said Healin Goodbye to our current team I’m looking forward to a tropical vacation (like I said, hopefully the series will stay as good as it looks so far).

The series length was probably set in stone (Olympics delay) and I doubt Toei really could go back on that. Plus the filler probably didn't need much rework where I suspect some of the Byogen second half had some rewrites done by the pandemic so they probably left it as is so they could spend the time elsewhere

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pikestaff posted:

This is me. I dropped Healin Good after Cure Earth showed up and nixed Batetemoda. I'd been cold on the cast for a while, and after realizing I just didn't care about Asumi and didn't want to watch her additional intro episodes I dropped the series. Not the first precure I've stopped watching halfway sadly, but I'm still extremely game for Tropical Rouge. I'm always game for a new Precure because when the franchise works for me it REALLY works for me.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I just couldn't deal with the themes in the current climate. Greatly looking forward to watching it in like five years, though.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

(Though I'm vigilant given how Kira Kira started out being silly and we saw how that went).

It went from silly to one of the best seasons :allears:

Omnicrom posted:

This is me. I dropped Healin Good after Cure Earth showed up and nixed Batetemoda. I'd been cold on the cast for a while, and after realizing I just didn't care about Asumi and didn't want to watch her additional intro episodes I dropped the series. Not the first precure I've stopped watching halfway sadly, but I'm still extremely game for Tropical Rouge. I'm always game for a new Precure because when the franchise works for me it REALLY works for me.

That's about where I dropped it too. Healin' Good is actually the only Precure season I've dropped halfway through. Doki Doki sure got close though.

blossommirage posted:

I just couldn't deal with the themes in the current climate. Greatly looking forward to watching it in like five years, though.

I think was is another reason for me. I could probably deal with either not really caring about the characters, or constantly seeing the cute dog mascot get sick in the middle of a real life pandemic, on their own, but both at the same time was too much for me, lol.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eh, Healin Good gets slightly better later on in my opinion (they definitely raise the stakes a bit at least) but it also spends a lot of its time just spinning its wheels.

Now granted, I have no problem with filler when it’s done well (Smile is one of my favorite seasons after all) but with a handful of exceptions the most recent series wasn’t one of those times. It’s pretty good when it’s actually following its plot in my opinion though.

To be fair, the theming was just poor timing on Toei’s part but yeah, I can definitely see how the current climate could affect one’s enjoyment of the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It is sort of odd they’d add a random environmentalist message into the very last episode though and Cure Summer’s cameo was a bit of a joke (she pretty much gets her rear end kicked immediately).

Fun Fact: The monkey Healing Animal in this episode was played by the same actor as King Byogen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do think Toei probably needs to dial back the gimmicks on the mid-season Cures. Since Go we've gotten 2 Fairies, 1 Alien, 1 Robot, 1 Spirit(?) and 1 actual human. Probably be nice to have one or two just be human or known members of the cast

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
We're probably adding 'mermaid' to that with Tropical though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I do think Toei probably needs to dial back the gimmicks on the mid-season Cures. Since Go we've gotten 2 Fairies, 1 Alien, 1 Robot, 1 Spirit(?) and 1 actual human. Probably be nice to have one or two just be human or known members of the cast

At the moment I’m currently betting the fifth member of Tropical Rouge will be Laura (the mermaid) given that as far as the marketing goes she’s being treated with just as much importance as the main cast.

At least in Hugtto both Emiru and Ruru were around for a while before becoming Cures (Ciel and Yuni somewhat less so but they still had a buffer), while characters like Asumi and Aguri almost literally came out of nowhere and basically became Cures in the same episode they first appeared.

But yeah, I generally prefer it when established characters wind up becoming the Extra Cure for the season (which to be fair, seems to happen more often than not).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If the humor in the last HG episode is any indication, I guess this confirms that Tropical Rouge will be a more comedic season ala Smile (which works for me personally).

The monkey seemed like a weird character to just suddenly introduce in the last episode. Considering he was hanging out in the corrupted part of the Garden, had a rather dim view of humans, was voiced by King Byogen and was spouting similar rhetoric to what said king did in the previous episode, I sort of wonder if this episode was originally meant to come a bit earlier in the season and it was going to turn out that the monkey and King Byogen had some connection to one another (it would sort of explain why they bothered hiding his VA for so long).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If there's more inovation in the relm of fairy based problem solving then I'm all for TroPri.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks to a recent scan we have a few villain names for Tropical Rouge:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1364451789450272768

Chongy Ray may be my favorite villain name ever. Also, apparently Yaraneeda means “I don’t want to do it anymore”

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 24, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Chongy looks like he's three seconds away from walking off set in every shot and I'm here for that.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chongy is a whole mood

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Tropical Rouge website hasn’t added the villain profiles yet has it?

Also apparently Laura’s full name is Laura Apollodoros Hyginus Lamer

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 24, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EYmyfzHjaHI

Toei just uploaded an English subbed trailer for Tropical Rouge on their official US YouTube channel. What’s even more interesting is that it even includes an English logo to boot, not sure if this means anything but it’s neat.

Edit: Apparently all the English logo means is that Toei's putting effort into getting the show to English-speaking territories.

Every anime needs an English version of its logo in order to market it and make it visible on the website's catalog page (Healin Good got one too and there’s a bunch of English logos for the rest of the series up on Toei’s website)

One of Crunchyroll’s YouTube channels had a whole thing on how these are made

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 26, 2021

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The English language logos are neat. I remember using them to make new posters for my Plex server. Some of the translations are weird though. Witchy Pretty Cure...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

The English language logos are neat. I remember using them to make new posters for my Plex server. Some of the translations are weird though. Witchy Pretty Cure...

I’ve always found it weird that that particular series has three names: it’s pronounced “Mahoutsukai”, spelled out as “Maho Girls” on the Japanese title card and is localized as “Witchy” in the west. Not sure why that season alone has so many titles.

Also while the Crunchyroll releases are good it could be nice if they started releasing the series on other platforms as well (like official DVDs for example). Some more worldwide releases would be nice too considering the UK still only has KiraKira and nothing else (though France actually has more shows available than the US does).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 26, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hopefully Toei is more open to a BD/DVD license now that streaming is more open (They sure as hell won't try to release it themseleves given how their last attempt at English Home video releases went)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

I’ve always found it weird that that particular series has three names: it’s pronounced “Mahoutsukai”, spelled out as “Maho Girls” on the Japanese title card and is localized as “Witchy” in the west. Not sure why that season alone has so many titles.

I imagine Toei didn't want to try and market "Ma - ho - Girls" Pretty Cure and just went with a more focused title in one of those rare moments of lucidity between all the region locking, half arsing Digimon and being a general pain in the rear.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s the Tropical Rouge OP:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fVioA6Tfzik

This also gives us a look at the villains: There’s Chongy Ray (the blue crab), a seahorse in a tuxedo, what looks like a shrimp maid (or possibly just a small mermaid), some purple girl in a lab coat who I think is a sea slug and finally in shadow we have the Witch of Apathy herself

Also this is absolutely going to be Smile 2.0 just from the feel of the opening, and personally I’m all for it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 27, 2021

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
these cures, i like these ones

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My personal favorite parts include Dapper Seahorse, Asuka/Cure Flamingo weight lifting, and the return of Lovely Beam via Cure Papaya.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We have some actor names for the villains now as well:

Witch of Procrastination (Igarashi Rei)

Butler (Komatsu Fuminori)

Chongy Ray (Shirokuma Hiroshi)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sea Horse Butler seems like he going to be a non combatant rather then active General at the start going by the OP. Ray, the Slug, and the Shrimp Maid seem like they will be the active ones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some better pictures of a few of the villains (click the left one to see the Witch herself):

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1365501561141555200

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Not having a shark bad guy seems like a missed thing, wonder if that will be the Joker equivalent later on?

oh lord, Witch has Precia's voice actor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EYmyfzHjaHI

Toei just uploaded an English subbed trailer for Tropical Rouge on their official US YouTube channel. What’s even more interesting is that it even includes an English logo to boot, not sure if this means anything but it’s neat.

Edit: Apparently all the English logo means is that Toei's putting effort into getting the show to English-speaking territories.

Every anime needs an English version of its logo in order to market it and make it visible on the website's catalog page (Healin Good got one too and there’s a bunch of English logos for the rest of the series up on Toei’s website)

One of Crunchyroll’s YouTube channels had a whole thing on how these are made

Now that's a fun opening. Inject it straight into my veins.