Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

haven't seen that mouse irl but I would guess it's more about laziness from apple seeing as how the front of the mouse probably has some mechanical thing that makes it hard to put a lightning connector without making the mouse 2mm thicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

no idea I've never disassembled one but for my use case of VR controllers they last a good while, at least as long as nimh rechargeables. I'm sure a YouTuber has taken one apart

doing the math on those it looks like they have the equivalent of about 2100 mAh @ 1.5v, basically the same as a NiMH battery. so the bonus capacity you get from going to lithium chemistry is eaten up by having to leave space for the USB recharger.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
https://youtu.be/CzZrB974Zro

our friend project farm just did a video about these batteries

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i watched that video and now my brain is fried from the way he talks.

anyway the tl;dr is that eneloops are still better than every one of the lithium USB AAs as long as your device is okay with 1.2v per cell. though some of them do get close.

makes sense. real panasonic batteries made in japan are just...better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

go play outside Skyler posted:

haven't seen that mouse irl but I would guess it's more about laziness from apple seeing as how the front of the mouse probably has some mechanical thing that makes it hard to put a lightning connector without making the mouse 2mm thicker

the magic mouse's top curves all the way down to meet the desk at both ends, there's no thickness left in which a lightning port could fit

the whole white part is button and moves when you click it. it's also touch sensitive so it can distinguish right and left clicks and functions as a trackpad for scrolling

(you figure out which end is the front from a faint apple logo which isn't visible from this angle)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 15, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it also channels the spirit of dogshit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

it also channels the spirit of dogshit

lol

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

haveblue posted:

the magic mouse's top curves all the way down to meet the desk at both ends, there's no thickness left in which a lightning port could fit

the whole white part is button and moves when you click it. it's also touch sensitive so it can distinguish right and left clicks and functions as a trackpad for scrolling

(you figure out which end is the front from a faint apple logo which isn't visible from this angle)

well there ya go, i don't see how you could put a lightning connector there without changing the design.

still dumb but hey at least it's not like apple has, in this specific case, made a dumb decision to make sure people don't use their mouse while charging. it's just overall stupidity and i imagine that's pre-ive's departure

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

no functionality would be affected by making in notch in the middle of the front to fit a small connector nor would the design suffer unless your Sor Jony

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
Could you imagine if the product made room for the hardware with some sort "notch"? Apple would never do such a thing.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

tired: jonny ive had the apple employee who knew how to put a cord on a mouse for the previous 30 years of apple mices fed to his pet tiger braun

wired: tim cook wouldn’t approve a separate lightning cable sku that wouldn’t shed latex shards and powder all over your desk after a few weeks of use

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

i got a kiwi se and I like it a lot

the iphone 6 size is fine now that I am using it . thought I wanted to keep iphone 5 size but nah

nice. feel like current phone too big and the se is just a tad smaller so should be good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i bought my mom an se 2.0 for christmas as an upgrade from a 6s and she is very pleased

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

echinopsis posted:

“I sure hate the feel of my optional to plug in mouse when I leave it plugged in”

that’s the thing, it wouldn’t feel awful, it would just feel worse, and probably at an imperceptible enough level that users wouldn’t think to keep it unplugged. user’s aren’t (complete) idiots but it’s still okay to use UX to inform how your product is supposed to be used. especially when the alternative solves a made up problem that no one in this thread has actually expressed running into

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i like how itunes keeps randomly breaking on my computer. what a gently caress.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
BORN TO DIE
ITUNES IS A gently caress
Match Em All 2001
I am music man
410,757,864,530 DEAD TRACKS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

how are you even using itunes?

is this a pc beep?

are you posting about a pc problem in the apple thread?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i push play on the itunes if i have to use windows and it play song, ticket closed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

how are you even using itunes?

is this a pc beep?

are you posting about a pc problem in the apple thread?

yeah so?????

itunes is apple. dwi.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

god drat you tim. you satan.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
here’s how I’m guessing the mouse thing went:

company made decision that everything is rechargeable, no more replaceable batteries.

accessory director asked for resources for industrial design changes to the mouse and firmware updates to handle power management and usb pairing (like the keyboard does).

responding teams told director to gently caress off because they’re busy with important projects.

accessories team said fine, but we have to do this anyway, so let’s make a mouse that has no ID changes and can’t be used while plugged in so we can ignore the software.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Management posted:

here’s how I’m guessing the mouse thing went:

company made decision that everything is rechargeable, no more replaceable batteries.

accessory director asked for resources for industrial design changes to the mouse and firmware updates to handle power management and usb pairing (like the keyboard does).

responding teams told director to gently caress off because they’re busy with important projects.

accessories team said fine, but we have to do this anyway, so let’s make a mouse that has no ID changes and can’t be used while plugged in so we can ignore the software.

sounds about right except the magic mouse 2 will re-pair with a device when it's plugged in via usb like the keyboard will

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

itunes through the windows app store is p.nice and gets rid of that annoying poo poo 3rd party updater apple uses so good on that I guess

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i watched a british panel show on youtube for 30 minutes and then the last 40 minutes of a movie on netflix on my m1 MBA last night and the battery went from 100% charge to 97% and said it had 18 hours of use remaining

m1 mba owns

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

8 out of 10 cats does countdown?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

itunes through the windows app store is p.nice and gets rid of that annoying poo poo 3rd party updater apple uses so good on that I guess

yeah, it’s okay, except for when it magically disappears, leaving only the orphaned icon behind.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

or sometimes the opposite, whereby it stays on my computer, docked to the taskbar, but the icon image goes away.

:thunk:

it’s like the ladyhawke of software.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

refleks posted:

would i lie to you. bob mortimer was on

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1361380768363274240
Go, Apple. I salute you for not putting up with this nonsense.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

refleks posted:

lomarf carr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the facebook thing is just greed and desire for control, I'd guess that like 98% of their advertising revenue doesn't even target any more specifically than age range, gender and location and the remaining 2% is just for facebook topics the users interact with on their platform

if you click on why did I see this ad 99% of the time it's like "this was targeted at males age 18-99 in the united states"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/zoocoup/status/1361402801407070208

There oughta be a dog there drooling with sharp fangs labeled "11.3"

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after years of apple's competitors trying to advertise their way to relevance it's kind of funny watching them flail but daddy needs his service revenue so get back on that corner and shake your literal moneymaker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if it's been long enough now that we can use garamond narrow -20 and not have people immediately go oh that's apple.

i always liked the look of that font

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

For christmas Tim got all the senior execs Word of the Day calendars, but every day is just the word "Services"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

why is the apple font* all hosed up looking?

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder if it's been long enough now that we can use garamond narrow -20 and not have people immediately go oh that's apple.

lol. rpobably not for nerds our age, but anyone in their 20s or under would have no reason to associate it like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i always liked the look of that font

apple garamond was a custom fork of garamond narrow I believe I have a copy but it's on a literal zip disk iirc