Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It looks like the pitch is spinning a lot. From what I read the Indians batted brilliantly to get that score on this pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Of course Broad goes for the big sweep.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

tarbrush posted:

Of course Broad goes for the big sweep.

Yeah way to help out your mate there Stuart.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
This could get ugly quickly

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

This could get ugly quickly

That’s what my wife says about me.

I should be watching live now that I finally can but my son maintains an iron-fisted control of the TV.

A good comment from guardian obo:

quote:

“Hot day in Chennai here,” says Rishi. “All this talk of pitch seems rather overblown. This pitch has extra bounce and turn, especially with the new ball. To deal with it, the best strategy is to get down to the pitch and play it straight. It’s a lot more manageable when the ball gets older. Pujara got hit with the bounce, etc. But second session yesterday was well dealt with when the batsmen walked down to play the spin against the older ball. Foakes, and earlier, Pope, did the same to good effect against the slightly older ball. Despite the quality of the bowling, the pitch didn’t seem too hard when they were on.

“The England top order today, on the other hand, were caught in the crease and too often tried sweeping. The sweep works on pitches that doesn’t bounce. This one does. The batting coach needs to answer questions here, and not the curator.

therattle fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 14, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yeah. It's a spicy pitch, not a minefield.

Ugh, hard chance but still a missed stumping

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Lol, another Watson grade review

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So, isn't hiding your bat way behind your bat treated as not playing a shot these days?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I don't think that the umpiring team is very good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Dead Goon posted:

I don't think that the umpiring team is very good.

And he would have been out on ball tracking.

I know India are going to win regardless, but that's two decisions that the umpires have absolutely hosed them over, along with a very very marginal stumping call.

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
Another great finish in progress with Bangladesh and the West Indies. 18 runs needed for the last wicket for Bangladesh

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Bangas are absolute trash without Shakib, can't even produce good spinners.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Feels like India are going to run up the score tomorrow and win by like 300 runs eventually. I'm glad England didn't have to follow on or this would have been a 2 and a half day test match.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1361097582886354944?s=20

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Indian collapse is on :siren:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's been so long since England have had a proper wicketkeeper I'd almost forgotten what it was like.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

biglads posted:

It's been so long since England have had a proper wicketkeeper I'd almost forgotten what it was like.

Countdown until he gets dropped again for some Flash Harry batsman who keeps a bit.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Pitch looks a bit uh hosed?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I think the BCCI authorised description is "there's a bit in it for the spinners".

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Artisianally crafted authentic spinners pitch

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Ehhh, it's turning sharply, but the bounce seems consistent enough.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I just mean the massive clouds of dirt flying up. You're right in that it's consistent though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I'll just be annoyed if England come out of this blaming the result on playing on a goat track when it's absolutely not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tarbrush posted:

I'll just be annoyed if England come out of this blaming the result on playing on a goat track when it's absolutely not.

Too late

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56061842

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Gonna be lol when Sibley does a Sibley and scores all the runs at 2 an over.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

I don't care what commentators say, they gotta get clicks. I don't want the team to be excusing the fact that India have bowled batted and fielded better

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Smorgasbord posted:

Countdown until he gets dropped again for some Flash Harry batsman who keeps a bit.

As soon as Butler has had enough time out of the bubble and the ECB wants to pick him they will.

Doesn't matter if Foakes scores 1000 runs and takes 30 catches and 15 stumpings, he's out as soon as Jos is available again.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

If you are not following https://twitter.com/cricketingview I feel sorry for you son.

They are an Indian data nerd who take no poo poo what. so. ever.

Right now they are pointing out the overt racism of the English commentators take on the pitch.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

notaspy posted:

Right now they are pointing out the overt racism of the English commentators take on the pitch.

They're not wrong.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Touring sides moan when they get green seaming decks in England or fast bouncy pitches in Australia (although this happens less and less). What did they expect? You're touring the subcontinent, you're going to get subcontinent conditions. India were just lucky they won the toss and Rohit played a blinder.

Ashwin might win MOTM because he'll have taken wickets and got a 100 but without that 150+ from Rohit Sharma this Test would be really close.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Without that 150 India will still have a big enough lead that England can't chase.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
expert wrapping up of the tail

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
:cripes:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Putting aside my England hat, it's great to watch a team use this pitch properly.

I do think the England spinners need to get better with arm balls, backspinners and such. The threat to both edges when the ball can turn the width of the stumps or carry straight on is borderline unplayable

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Behold the kiss of death, but Burns and Lawrence are making a decent fist of this. They might only lose by 200

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Putting aside my England hat, it's great to watch a team use this pitch properly.

I do think the England spinners need to get better with arm balls, backspinners and such. The threat to both edges when the ball can turn the width of the stumps or carry straight on is borderline unplayable

If they have variations are they really English?

I am pretty sure any English spinner that has a wrong'en or anything like that get remodelled.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
There's nothing fishy about wickets being "doctored" to suit the home side (or the home side is just more used to the regular conditions). It's exactly what you expect anywhere. It's a weird thing to get ruffled about from either angle.

Either way England are about to be battered by hundreds of runs regardless so who cares. Would be nice if someone can get in though so at least the final score isn't too lopsided.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

notaspy posted:

If they have variations are they really English?

I am pretty sure any English spinner that has a wrong'en or anything like that get remodelled.

Remember when Rashid came up and was a bit crap. Got dropped, developed a wrong un and suddenly became a top notch white ball bowler.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Well, that's about as bad a night watchman as you can get :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Nightwatchman job done