Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The Little Death posted:

When you think about it, this is sort of a followthrough of Dominic, who is implied to be booksmart in a way that's never really demonstrated, but manifests the power of his knowledge through literal psychic domination of his enemies. It is a fetishization of being a nerd, but in the tv way where nerds are all generally smart instead of being only obsessed with niche pop-culture properties.

I'm reminded of Dominic raining books on that little town he hated, like non-nerds would be hideously horrified by books and, if exposed to them like radioactive waste, might become nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
If being hit in the head with a book would turn me into whatever Dominic is, I'd be afraid of them too.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

This is the webcomic equivalent of double spacing your essay

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
He keeps finding new ways to waste time. Not even in an unintentionally funny way.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I love how everyone can tell immediately on looking at corpsemomdaughterwife that she's special and doesn't fit in categories.

No effort, no process, not even a real sense of the body of knowledge each character brings to bear, just... nothing. Storytelling as limp as Snout's dick.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I love how everyone can tell immediately on looking at corpsemomdaughterwife that she's special and doesn't fit in categories.

No effort, no process, not even a real sense of the body of knowledge each character brings to bear, just... nothing. Storytelling as limp as Snout's dick.

I read a few chapters of Eragon and that was a reoccurring thing so I just stopped, probably was the right move.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I read a few chapters of Eragon and that was a reoccurring thing so I just stopped, probably was the right move.

And Eragon had the excuse of being written by a teenager.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Christ it's almost exactly the same thing that ink witch said. Once again we're in a spiral of re-stating knowledge the audience already knew.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's like his audience is perverted amnesiacs.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's like his audience is perverted amnesiacs.

Well he's clearly writing for himself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truly a master of visual storytelling.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
A more confident writer could have easily done this without the little papers of dialog

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The best part is that Arudak apparently decided to write dramatic pauses into his note. A totally natural thing to do in written communication.

Also, the fact that he hasn't named the Ink Witch is really dumb...but now I just realized we have four main characters: two male and two female, and only the men have names.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Potsticker posted:

Well he's clearly writing for himself.

Mookie's a lazy pervert, not an amnesiac one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The comic doesn't update every couple days so much as it goes into screensaver mode and displays a random test pattern.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

from now on mentally replacing each instance of corpsewife with quilt

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It seems like one of two situations has occurred:

1. In the time (hours?) it took to fly back to the Secret Base, neither Plant Woman nor Snout told the Ink Witch anything about her.

2. When the Ink Witch arrived with Plant Woman and Snout, she told Arudak,"Best to let Snout tell you who and what she is."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I've said it before, but almost every time an update of this posted, I am convinced I could make a better webcomic. And, remembering the fact that I don't make a webcomic, I recognize I already am!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Supernatural is not the opposite of unnatural, in fact they're basically synonyms.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

oriongates posted:

The best part is that Arudak apparently decided to write dramatic pauses into his note. A totally natural thing to do in written communication.

Mookie did the exact same thing (with the same wording!) when the Ink Witch gave a speechbubble paper to Snout like 4 pages ago.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Is there a reason that guy and snout are happy to see each other? It... doesn't really seem like they should be?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's the main character

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing that annoys me is that you just know Mookie is going to make Corpsemomwife integral to, and I use the term very loosely, plot. She's a blank slate Snout found when he bumbled into a haunted house, so there's no good reason for her to be connected to anything going on other than because Mookie says so.

GlyphGryph posted:

Is there a reason that guy and snout are happy to see each other? It... doesn't really seem like they should be?

It's been ages, but Arudak and Snout have a decent thing going on where Arudak apologized for putting Snout to sleep and they had a moment where Snout revealedd the only reason he's on this legacyquest was because he's "curious". It's a way healthier relationship than how Snout constantly gets abused by Ink Witch.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Just to really hammer home that Monday's page was pointless wheel spinning Wednesday's page is just drops the topic entirely. They're all just loving around in Arudak's studio apartment.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Lol at the obvious room trace. Also god do I hate that once again Mookie is weird and anachronistic with the tech. I guess the orcs have photographs and glass production now?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Arudak normally wears robes and togas, but back in the day he was a t-shirt guy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

Lol at the obvious room trace. Also god do I hate that once again Mookie is weird and anachronistic with the tech. I guess the orcs have photographs and glass production now?

It has been 200 years.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

For a moment I thought Arudak’s presumably dead girlfriend was Snout.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TheHan posted:

Just to really hammer home that Monday's page was pointless wheel spinning Wednesday's page is just drops the topic entirely. They're all just loving around in Arudak's studio apartment.
Ink Witch's mysteriously shrinking dress be like:
code:
v_v
 V
Edit: It turns out that the real legacy of Dominic Deegan was the women who died along the way.

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 16, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Kavak posted:

It has been 200 years.

But still manual peasants in the fields. I just can't think of anything lazier than having an actual modern picture frame in this scene with no previous setup of what the tech level is

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Anyone want to bet this orc language is some kind of Al Bhed thing where it's 1-to-1 with the English alphabet?

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anyone want to bet this orc language is some kind of Al Bhed thing where it's 1-to-1 with the English alphabet?

nah, that would be too coherent

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SubG posted:

Ink Witch's mysteriously shrinking dress be like:
code:
v_v
 V

I like how the crotch outline is for crossed legs and her legs aren't actually crossed.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Reading the first line seems directly cribbed from Japanese, where that would be "To Arudak!"

To be honest I just like the addition of the dash to "-Kazya" which is something we only started adding in the typed word age to my knowledge?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Arudak, Eh! :canada:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Tesseraction posted:

I like how the crotch outline is for crossed legs and her legs aren't actually crossed.

Reading the first line seems directly cribbed from Japanese, where that would be "To Arudak!"

To be honest I just like the addition of the dash to "-Kazya" which is something we only started adding in the typed word age to my knowledge?

Yes because otherwise it would ahve been a signature, which you don't need a dash to signify.

I mean, think about what that square even is. It's literally a post-it note. A medieval post-it love note this wizard left on the magic photograph of his (presumably) dead lover.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I cast mordenkainen's self-posting note

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So, what did he trace that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
The studio looks like a wizard's laboratory from a 90s LucasArts point and click adventure game.

The loving framed photograph in glass (god) of Arudak and his fridged gf/wife looks somewhat similar to that stock photo model they used of Tali outside her suit in Mass Effect, though it may well be a trace of him and Mrs. Mookie from an anniversary photoshoot or something (as requested will not look for or post reference pic of this; she has no role in creating this terrible comic.)

I really do feel like I recognize the apartment from somewhere though. Do any of the screens in "myst" look like this?