Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Skwirl posted:

Blade 1 was 99, he fizzled out in the mid 2000's

There was also the whole "went to jail for tax evasion" thing. He was great in My Name is Dolemite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

There was that one comedy where he took a married couple hostage on Christmas and either they were so terrible to each other it reformed him or he was such an rear end in a top hat they were not terrible to each other anymore, possibly both.

They might have adopted him at the end. I liked it!

The Ref. Great Christmas movie if you can get past Kevin Spacey being in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That describes an depressingly large number of classics.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Cacator posted:

There was also the whole "went to jail for tax evasion" thing. He was great in My Name is Dolemite.

He was fantastic in that. I'm excited for Coming 2 America mostly for him.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

porfiria posted:

Demolition Man is really interesting for its take on the PC Police, which is so similar to, but distinct from, the SJWs of today's rightwing maniacs.

It's Tipper Gore versus Anita Sarkessian.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

Blade 1 was 99, he fizzled out in the mid 2000's

WELL ACTUALLY Blade came out in 1998. I don't really recall seeing him in anything after 99-2000ish. It seemed like the point where he was going to straight to video.

Grendels Dad posted:

There was that one comedy where he took a married couple hostage on Christmas and either they were so terrible to each other it reformed him or he was such an rear end in a top hat they were not terrible to each other anymore, possibly both.

They might have adopted him at the end. I liked it!

Also, he was good as Christopher Walken's mouthy henchman in Suicide Kings.

Both of those are good and The Ref was a favorite of one of our former posters.

FREE DICKEYE!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I remember liking that movie and saying that about Dennis Leary instead. Times sure change!

Skwirl posted:

That describes an depressingly large number of classics.

I use to really like Superman Returns. Yikesaroo!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

WELL ACTUALLY Blade came out in 1998. I don't really recall seeing him in anything after 99-2000ish. It seemed like the point where he was going to straight to video.

I mean, there was Blade 2 (and technically Blade 3, but that was at his nadir.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

porfiria posted:

Demolition Man is really interesting for its take on the PC Police, which is so similar to, but distinct from, the SJWs of today's rightwing maniacs.

It really doesn't commit to its bit enough. For some reason all the PC is coming from one guy who's a complete hypocrite and managed to change society in like 20 years to the point that people don't even remember when society was different. The only reason Stallone manages to affect their society and return it to what it "should be" is because everyone is a gullible moron with tissue thin convictions.

Plus you'd think a society where everyone's been essentially cured of all aggression and even minor things like swearing are crimes would have some kind of highly effective totalitarian enforcement system that some guy who kind of knows karate wouldn't be able to defeat.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/baalhisses/status/1359890216035770369

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Lurdiak posted:

It really doesn't commit to its bit enough. For some reason all the PC is coming from one guy who's a complete hypocrite and managed to change society in like 20 years to the point that people don't even remember when society was different. The only reason Stallone manages to affect their society and return it to what it "should be" is because everyone is a gullible moron with tissue thin convictions.

Plus you'd think a society where everyone's been essentially cured of all aggression and even minor things like swearing are crimes would have some kind of highly effective totalitarian enforcement system that some guy who kind of knows karate wouldn't be able to defeat.

We get to see how terrible things are at the start of the movie and they mention that things got even worse. They also mention cataclysmic earthquakes that probably left survivors in such a state of shock that rebuilding society on the grounds of "Remember how things were before? Let's do the opposite of that!" seemed fairly attractive.

The most glaring omission in such a new society is religion. Which I like because it would be kinda lazy to turn the society in the movie into religious fanatics.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That's the weirdness with Demolition Man, it's half the world of PC gone mad and half the world of absolute globalisation where Taco Bell controls the food supply, but ultimately it's ambivalent, bordering on positive about both of those things. Stallone's character really does like knitting now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think they ever really talk about what's going on outside of LA in the movie, so I like to imagine the society in Demolition Man is literally only in LA, which has walled itself off from the rest of the country and life is just going on as normal out there with everyone thinking LA is just a bunch of loving nutjobs. Taco Bell isn't the only restaurant, they just got an exclusive license to do business within LA.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lmao that’s awesome.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1360428928909922306?s=19

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Shelley Duvall did her first real interview since the nineties

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/a...ing-the-shining

It's equal parts sad and nice

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Ya can’t beat me, Sonya
I know all yer moves!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1361013050048929796?s=20

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maybe one of the EP's is a Devo fan

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/roywoodjr/status/1361045613715062784?s=20

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ted "ain't got no change, man" Raimi from Hard Target.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

"Woah...he stole that guy's PIZZA!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The guy in Batman Forever who sees him jumping through the skylight and goes "Batman, eeeeeeaaaaaaaah!".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The guy in Batman Forever who sees him jumping through the skylight and goes "Batman, eeeeeeaaaaaaaah!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0NTzt9uaE&ab_channel=BatmanTheMovies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pospysyl posted:

This has gotta be the best one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Train to Busan 2: Peninsula. It was a pretty fun action movie. The bulk of the movie was spent fighting people instead of zombies, so that was a bit of a disappointment. But I still enjoyed it a lot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

I watched Train to Busan 2: Peninsula. It was a pretty fun action movie. The bulk of the movie was spent fighting people instead of zombies, so that was a bit of a disappointment. But I still enjoyed it a lot.

It turns out the true zombies...were us all along.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Isn't that the same guy as the BOILING ACID cop from the beginning of that movie?

Batman's very own over-excited announcer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Thank you! I could not find this clip.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a movie that has a pimp doing an actual pimp walk?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Baron Porkface posted:

Malcolm X?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvvPuST7b0o&t=8s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Dolomite probably. Probably some other blaxploitation flicks.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

They don’t seem to be orchestrating prostitution.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Baron Porkface posted:

They don’t seem to be orchestrating prostitution.

Malcolm X was involved in organized crime prior to his conversion to Islam while he was in prison. I haven't read his biography, but I have read many sources that list prostitution as one of the crimes in which he was involved.

I just watched this movie last week, so it was on the top of my mind.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

pospysyl posted:

Raimi’s Spider-Man had the best pedestrians
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1127gv4Tfk

Some kinda freakyloo or somethin, wackadoo

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie was an all right movie. This is the first piece of Sonic media I've encountered besides the OK KO crossover. The worst thing about it were all the jokes stolen from Reddit and all the pop culture references in the first 20 minutes, and the obvious product placements, but that's a lot better than having the worst 20 minutes of a film at the end.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 16, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just rolled into work for the first time since Thursday solely because it's day three of having no electricity at home and I need to recharge my external battery. Portland Snowpocalypse 2021 is wild, man.

It'd be nice if the power was back on by the time I get home. :|

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Here in KC, they've said they're going to do rolling blackouts, but I got lucky; the power went out for real. I couldn't work all morning, so I just read It.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I miiiight have just attached a major Aussie star to star in and direct a script I’ve just optioned (by a v well-known Aussie writer based on his book). Trying not to count chickens but it could be HUGE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's awesome, I hope it works out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

That's awesome, I hope it works out!

gently caress, me too. It’s dreams come true territory if it comes off. But knowing this business it’s always best to not count chickens.