Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

An ambidextrous mouse with good software will let you set a left- and right- handed profile and swap between them with a button press (like changing DPI).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe
So my corded deathadder elite that I've had for a few years' wheel is getting squeaky and bounces around rather than scrolling smoothly now (wheel itself moves smoothly, it's in the sensor response). A little light research says I need to pry it apart and clean out the wheel assembly but I'm kind of unsatisfied with the mouse to begin with so I'm thinking it's time to replace. I'm looking for suggestions for a corded gaming / general use mouse in the realm of 60-70 bucks max.

On the deathadder, I like that it has a couple thumb buttons on the side and sensitivity adjustment buttons but I find that the left and right click trigger a little too easy. It's been a few years since I changed my mouse and I still feel like I accidentally right click WAY too often. The weight and size is about right, but the light click threshold drives me crazy and I'd like something with a heavier or maybe adjustable (is that a thing?) click threshold. Also not a huge fan of the woven cord since it drags on the edge of my computer desk more than a normal cable ever did. Any recommendations?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m a big fan of my Logitech G502 mouse and I like to use a mouse bungee for my cord.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Coredump posted:

Well the thing is I’m right handed but I’ve learned to be ambimousetrous to give my right shoulder a break. Using a ambidextrous mouse means the buttons are wrong in my left hand for left and right click and I’m swapping between mice on the fly. Having a dedicated left handed mouse lets the buttons be correct on both mice. It’s just this vertical mouse I got for left handing mousing is not great.

The easy solution is to use at least one mouse that comes with its own management software. I use two Logitechs and I've swapped the buttons on the left mouse in SetPoint. The same works with a Lenove Legion mouse.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a logitech G502 as my main mouse with the control software. Would I have to open up the software each time I wanted to swap button assignments?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coredump posted:

I have a logitech G502 as my main mouse with the control software. Would I have to open up the software each time I wanted to swap button assignments?

You could bind one of the keys to "switch profile" to cycle between the 2.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

You could bind one of the keys to "switch profile" to cycle between the 2.

Yeah would rather dual mouse it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
then why the gently caress are you even here? You are getting nothing but the exact solutions you asked for and shooting them all down

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
Simply buy a ambidextrous Logitech you like and configure it left-handed. That's what I did.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

then why the gently caress are you even here? You are getting nothing but the exact solutions you asked for and shooting them all down

Go back and read. I came in asking for a left handed non ergo mouse, it was others who suggested ambidextrous mice. I figured I should have avoided the questions of why I wanted it for the goon (you) who would get upset when I didn't do things their way. Take a chill pill.

Saukkis posted:

Simply buy a ambidextrous Logitech you like and configure it left-handed. That's what I did.

Unless mouse software has gotten smarter back when I was first doing this switching the buttons on one mouse affected the other mouse. Although that was through windows control panel and not the mouse's software. I'll look into it and see cuz I don't think that left handed mouse is gonna show.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 16, 2021

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's the goon word on vertical ergonomic Bluetooth mice, preferably with rechargable batteries? I'm talking VERTICAL vertical, handshake grip. Seems like it's Evoluent or nothin'.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I've got nothing for "vertical vertical", but if you find anything in the process that doesn't compress the outside of your hand/wrist, let us know. A step up currently but by God not a big one.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Coredump posted:

Unless mouse software has gotten smarter back when I was first doing this switching the buttons on one mouse affected the other mouse. Although that was through windows control panel and not the mouse's software. I'll look into it and see cuz I don't think that left handed mouse is gonna show.

Works fine with SetPoint. I have old MX620 as my right mouse and M560 as the left mouse with swapped buttons. I use the old SetPoint software because I don't think the newer Unifying support the MX620.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Saukkis posted:

Works fine with SetPoint. I have old MX620 as my right mouse and M560 as the left mouse with swapped buttons. I use the old SetPoint software because I don't think the newer Unifying support the MX620.

Thanks for this. I’ll check this out then. If I end up with an ambidextrous mouse I’ll let everyone know so you all can get a satisfactory “told you so”.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

What's the goon consensus on best mouse for large hands with a decent amount of buttons? I do some gaming (most strenuous game these days is Deep Rock Galactic) and a decent bit of audio and video editing. I currently have a hand-me-down g502 from my partner and I've been finding that I subconsciously squeeze the mouse with my pinky to get a decent grip on it, giving me hand pain after a little while. Looking for something on the larger side that I can get a good palm grip on. Wired preferred as I have plenty of desk space to route the cable without it getting in the way.

Simple google search is making me lean toward the Corsair m65 ELITE, but the first few pages of the search are all garbage clickbait sites.

e: I guess what I'm looking for is a wider mouse? something the majority of my hand meat can rest on? The mouse nerds in this thread probably know what I need more than I do.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I use a g,602 for work and find it comfortably sized, though maybe bit heavy for Serious Gaming. The breadth of my mouse experience is pretty limited though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

foonykins posted:

What's the goon consensus on best mouse for large hands with a decent amount of buttons? I do some gaming (most strenuous game these days is Deep Rock Galactic) and a decent bit of audio and video editing. I currently have a hand-me-down g502 from my partner and I've been finding that I subconsciously squeeze the mouse with my pinky to get a decent grip on it, giving me hand pain after a little while. Looking for something on the larger side that I can get a good palm grip on. Wired preferred as I have plenty of desk space to route the cable without it getting in the way.

Simple google search is making me lean toward the Corsair m65 ELITE, but the first few pages of the search are all garbage clickbait sites.

e: I guess what I'm looking for is a wider mouse? something the majority of my hand meat can rest on? The mouse nerds in this thread probably know what I need more than I do.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

About to pull the trigger on a Logitech G Pro Hero. A little nervous because I can't go into stores and actually try one out. Any alternatives or reasons I shouldn't?

My requirements are:
comfortable in claw grip
some extra buttons
no leds or leds that can be turned off all the time
doesn't look like a transformer

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

Fruits of the sea posted:

About to pull the trigger on a Logitech G Pro Hero. A little nervous because I can't go into stores and actually try one out. Any alternatives or reasons I shouldn't?

My requirements are:
comfortable in claw grip
some extra buttons
no leds or leds that can be turned off all the time
doesn't look like a transformer

Not sure if this is a bit uncouth but Amazon returns are quite frictionless. Why not just order and return if you don't personally like it after a few days?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Not sure if this is a bit uncouth but Amazon returns are quite frictionless. Why not just order and return if you don't personally like it after a few days?

No worries, Amazon isn't in my country (and gently caress Amazon) but my local gives refunds -20% if I try it out and hate it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Yeah, please don't do this. It's a huge waste of resources.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why do mx masters have to be so drat heavy? The anywhere versions lack the side button n thats a dealbreaker too

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teraflame posted:

Why do mx masters have to be so drat heavy? The anywhere versions lack the side button n thats a dealbreaker too
I have a Master 3 and while it's not the lightest, it doesn't bother me since it's on my office computer, not my home gaming one.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Corsair M95 is finally dying after all this time. Let it go while it was just the scroll wheel jacked up, now the left mouse button is going too. Already done the repairs and cleaning I can, but it's declining regardless. Lasted me since 2014 though, so I'll call that a victory. Any suggestions on a similar replacement? I barely used the side buttons in practice, mostly care about the form factor & adjustable DPI. Been holding off on deciding on a replacement until whatever's wrong with my wrist/hand gets figured out (current theory from my doctor is that the initial nerve damage guess was wrong and it's injured tendon(s) causing the issues), but this is starting to force my hand.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SkyeAuroline posted:

Corsair M95 is finally dying after all this time. Let it go while it was just the scroll wheel jacked up, now the left mouse button is going too. Already done the repairs and cleaning I can, but it's declining regardless. Lasted me since 2014 though, so I'll call that a victory. Any suggestions on a similar replacement? I barely used the side buttons in practice, mostly care about the form factor & adjustable DPI. Been holding off on deciding on a replacement until whatever's wrong with my wrist/hand gets figured out (current theory from my doctor is that the initial nerve damage guess was wrong and it's injured tendon(s) causing the issues), but this is starting to force my hand.

Maybe the M65? It might superficially not look comparable, but the Razer Basilisks have closish shapes (V2 is a cost-effective recent version).

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I have a razer chroma that technically works. It just doesn't function reliably as a gamer mouse because it disconnects/stutters for half a second at a somewhat regular interval on wireless, the micro usb can be disconnected in the socket if it is pulled at in a certain angle (the bungee thing usually prevents this), and it also lost all of it's rubber grips as the glue softened and became less tacky and my iron grip pushed them out.

I'm just wondering if there is a somewhat budget wireless mouse that's reliable? I noticed that lighter mouses are 'in' which is weird, because I specifically got this mouse to be heavier as it was weighted for a more premium feel. Thank you god bless.

E: I really wish there was a 1200 dpi option too on the hardware drivers.

EE: I don't know why I call it a chroma, I think it's some sort of older mamba? maybe 2014 or 16 era?

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 1, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The wired Logitech G Pro is pretty great so far. Works perfectly for claw grip, thumb buttons are in the right spot and have a fast but noticeable detent. The cable is very smooth and very light so it doesn't interfere at all. I could that being a wear point in the long run, but I have cable management at my desk so it doesn't get rubbed/squished by anything.

The lights can also be turned off in the onboard profile so it's very discreet and looks like a standard $15 mouse.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 5, 2021

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Razer Basilisk V2 is $45 on amazon today. Looks like historic low if you're like me and have been waiting for a lower price.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DryGoods posted:

Razer Basilisk V2 is $45 on amazon today. Looks like historic low if you're like me and have been waiting for a lower price.

Is it the usual Razer build quality, though? Looking for a replacement for my mouse (as mentioned above), but I've used Razer hardware and I really don't need something that's going to start failing 3 or 4 years out on me. Only solid thing I've ever gotten from them is a pre-RGB Black Widow that I still had to retire 6 years in due to key chatter.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Is it the usual Razer build quality, though? Looking for a replacement for my mouse (as mentioned above), but I've used Razer hardware and I really don't need something that's going to start failing 3 or 4 years out on me. Only solid thing I've ever gotten from them is a pre-RGB Black Widow that I still had to retire 6 years in due to key chatter.

I'd be really surprised is many peripherals lasted 4 years, either because something better comes out or because they break or because consumers consume and they can get the same thing but with rgb/white leds/paracorded cables/a new sensor that is identical to the old but with a new revision number.

I have mice that are close to 8 years old. Do I use them? Nope. They are the backup of the backup's backup.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

LordAdakos posted:

I'd be really surprised is many peripherals lasted 4 years, either because something better comes out or because they break or because consumers consume and they can get the same thing but with rgb/white leds/paracorded cables/a new sensor that is identical to the old but with a new revision number.

I have mice that are close to 8 years old. Do I use them? Nope. They are the backup of the backup's backup.

My Corsair mouse is finally dying (not quite dead, but at the point where the hardware damage has reached points I can't fix) after seven years. My last keyboard, incidentally that aforementioned Blackwidow, lasted me from 2010 (original model) until late last year. Headsets make it 6 or 7 average. Hell, I'm using monitors old enough to have badges confirming they're Vista-compatible.
I don't like spending money on peripherals, and I use things until they're either beyond repair or the repair is more intensive (either cost or skill) than a replacement. That Blackwidow would still be going strong if I felt comfortable removing and replacing the two or three damaged switches, but soldering is not part of my wheelhouse and I didn't want to make my only keyboard the test project.
e: to clarify, I agree that it's unusual, but "how long will it last" is the second most important thing on my list to know for any peripheral, or any electronics really, directly behind "will it injure me with extended use".

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 8, 2021

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I think all anyone can say right now is that current Razer mice (with optical switches) are likely to last longer without having to open them up and clean them than those from other brands. There's not much otherwise that differentiates any of them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SkyeAuroline posted:

My Corsair mouse is finally dying (not quite dead, but at the point where the hardware damage has reached points I can't fix) after seven years. My last keyboard, incidentally that aforementioned Blackwidow, lasted me from 2010 (original model) until late last year. Headsets make it 6 or 7 average. Hell, I'm using monitors old enough to have badges confirming they're Vista-compatible.
I don't like spending money on peripherals, and I use things until they're either beyond repair or the repair is more intensive (either cost or skill) than a replacement. That Blackwidow would still be going strong if I felt comfortable removing and replacing the two or three damaged switches, but soldering is not part of my wheelhouse and I didn't want to make my only keyboard the test project.
e: to clarify, I agree that it's unusual, but "how long will it last" is the second most important thing on my list to know for any peripheral, or any electronics really, directly behind "will it injure me with extended use".

https://www.amazon.com/G-Wolves-Hati-Stardust-Lightweight-Honeycomb/dp/B08HKX1ZYG?th=1

this one comes with extra switches and cables. I am hearing mixed reviews on if they have to be soldered on or are drop in replacements

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 11, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Finally answered the age old question "should I buy a $100 mouse?"

The answer is, "no. you should buy two."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Question: do people use the sideways scroll buttons, and with what function?

I'm finding I'm using them less than I thought I would.

e:for instance, it's not a comfortable middle click substitute

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 12, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

Question: do people use the sideways scroll buttons, and with what function?

I'm finding I'm using them less than I thought I would.

e:for instance, it's not a comfortable middle click substitute

I mostly use them for windows that are really wide and can be scrolled in. I haven't found reassigning them to be too useful since they're a little weird to hit as a button. Maybe if I needed a couple of functions for a specific program or game I'd consider it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I use the sidways scroll button to sideways scroll.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ctrl-Shift-Tab and Ctrl-Tab, respectively. Great productivity boost (or slacking boost).

In games, I typically use left tilt to reload and right tilt to activate a class ability. In general, left tilt = action that isn't used all the time but when it is it needs to be quick; right tilt = action that is used all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The fact that the Basilisk has sideways scroll at all is my biggest complaint with it. It's awkward to use intentionally, but often happens unintentionally while middle-clicking, and screws up whatever I'm trying to do.

edit: Now that I think about it, I'm better off disabling both sides, but middle-click will still feel pretty weird whenever it happens.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 13, 2021