Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

fletcher posted:

They at least advertise on webhostingtalk so they can't be too bad.

I wish it worked this way lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fletcher posted:

I've been leasing a dedicated server from Future Hosting. My ticket to the sales team went unanswered for months so I am getting a little nervous about the state of their business. That and they don't seem to be allowing anything else in Santa Clara so when my machine is EOL I am SOL.

As a result I'm shopping around for a new host for a dedicated server for some not mission critical stuff.

Looking for something with the following specs:
* 1 Gbps link, 10+ TB bandwidth per month allowed
* Located in California
* At least 24GB RAM
* Ideally at least 4 cores / 8 threads
* Min 256GB SSD & 2TB HDD

Currently I'm paying $125/mo for 24GB RAM, 540GB + 1TB HDDs, Xeon E5-2430v2, and 100 Mbps link with 10TB cap. Lack of SSD and 1 Gbps with currently solution is what has me shopping around.

Best I could find so far was with Colocation America:
* 1 Gbps, 15TB bandwidth
* Los Angeles data center
* 32GB RAM
* E3-1270v6 (fewer cores & smaller cache than I have now, but faster clock speed)
* 512GB SSD + 4TB HDD

They at least advertise on webhostingtalk so they can't be too bad. Any others I should look at?

Must it be CA? Is Oregon OK? OVH is bigger and less shady than the options you’re looking at. You can get 8x that hardware for the same price too.

https://us.ovhcloud.com/bare-metal/best-value/bv-2/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rufus Ping posted:

I wish it worked this way lol

drat :(

Twerk from Home posted:

Must it be CA? Is Oregon OK? OVH is bigger and less shady than the options you’re looking at. You can get 8x that hardware for the same price too.

https://us.ovhcloud.com/bare-metal/best-value/bv-2/

Restricting my search to CA seems to really limit the options, I think Oregon would probably fine. Thanks for the suggestion! That looks pretty sweet.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Just got an email that Nosupportlinuxhosting was hacked and is shutting down. No other real details.

No Support Linux Hosting is Shutting Down
On February 8, 2021, a hacker successfully compromised all the servers we use to operate our business including the No Support Linux Hosting web site, Admin section, and our customer database. We can no longer operate the No Support Linux Hosting business.
All customers should immediately download backups of their websites and databases through cPanel.
Thank you to all our customers for the many years of business. We appreciate it.
http://www.nosupportlinuxhosting.com/

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Can't say they didn't warn you

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

I would say I had a pretty good 10ish year run with them. Total spent for 3 basic sites was $26/year. Time to upgrade I guess. Pulled the DNS servers and parked the domains for now.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Rufus Ping posted:

This is amazing :amen:

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
I read the OP and quite a few pages of this thread but still don't really have an answer so here goes.

Seven years ago I tried a silly website (Wordpress) and it went fine, but I got busy with other stuff and stopped everything. Five years ago I got a notification it was expiring and I just canceled everything. Haven't thought about it since. That was through Apis. When I go to Apis now it looks totally different from seven years ago. And when I went to register it looks like my account was cleared out when I canceled everything. Which is completely fine.

I'm training in webdev now and want a site so I can host my training and practice. I know that I can do all of my education without having an actual site, but I learn by having projects to work towards and without it being an actual site I don't feel motivation. I just want to make a site that I'll probably be the only person using, but could show to others if I felt the need to. Ideally the IT stuff is minimal needs. I'm just interested in having a playground for HTML/CSS/JS/React and I also have to learn about Docker containers. I want to learn about this stuff by making a fake beer brewery page. I learn best by having a project goal in mind and I'd love to own a brewery one of these days. I'll never brew a good enough beer to own my own brewery, but I can use that dream to learn what I have to learn about webdev.

My question is should I go back to Apis or should I go somewhere else to achieve what I want to achieve?

Also, Is the recommendation to buy my domain through someplace standard or is buying through whatever host I pay for is fine?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Earth posted:

I read the OP and quite a few pages of this thread but still don't really have an answer so here goes.

Seven years ago I tried a silly website (Wordpress) and it went fine, but I got busy with other stuff and stopped everything. Five years ago I got a notification it was expiring and I just canceled everything. Haven't thought about it since. That was through Apis. When I go to Apis now it looks totally different from seven years ago. And when I went to register it looks like my account was cleared out when I canceled everything. Which is completely fine.

I'm training in webdev now and want a site so I can host my training and practice. I know that I can do all of my education without having an actual site, but I learn by having projects to work towards and without it being an actual site I don't feel motivation. I just want to make a site that I'll probably be the only person using, but could show to others if I felt the need to. Ideally the IT stuff is minimal needs. I'm just interested in having a playground for HTML/CSS/JS/React and I also have to learn about Docker containers. I want to learn about this stuff by making a fake beer brewery page. I learn best by having a project goal in mind and I'd love to own a brewery one of these days. I'll never brew a good enough beer to own my own brewery, but I can use that dream to learn what I have to learn about webdev.

My question is should I go back to Apis or should I go somewhere else to achieve what I want to achieve?

Also, Is the recommendation to buy my domain through someplace standard or is buying through whatever host I pay for is fine?

PERSONALLY I would spin up any new projects on AWS. You can use the free tier or just pay a couple bucks/month and shut them off when you don't need them.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

PERSONALLY I would spin up any new projects on AWS. You can use the free tier or just pay a couple bucks/month and shut them off when you don't need them.

My concern with that is I've seen where people forget to shut something off and get a bill for $2k. Seven years ago I was struggling to save $12 on hosting so I was very careful about what I picked. I am thankful to say I can afford more than I could seven years ago and don't have to worry about finding the cheapest possible hosting. With that said, a surprise $2k bill would be incredibly lovely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Earth posted:

My concern with that is I've seen where people forget to shut something off and get a bill for $2k. Seven years ago I was struggling to save $12 on hosting so I was very careful about what I picked. I am thankful to say I can afford more than I could seven years ago and don't have to worry about finding the cheapest possible hosting. With that said, a surprise $2k bill would be incredibly lovely.

I think they have ways to limit that etc

Use a prepaid card whatever. Buttcoins

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
AWS is terrible advice. Don't get AWS or a VPS or anything else that requires a degree in IT to manage when you really just need a website that works.
If you just need a simple site, get a simple shared hosting package.
Apis Networks is now Hostineer and nem has shifted his focus mainly to developing his control panel ApisCP.
I'm not sure what SA based hosts are left besides him and me, but if you don't want to manage a server or service, shared hosting will be a solid option.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Bob Morales posted:

I think they have ways to limit that etc

Use a prepaid card whatever. Buttcoins

Genius way to get forwarded to collections assuming you don't end up accidentally hanging yourself from all the rope AWS gives you first.

Earth posted:

Check out DarkLotus/Lithium Hosting. These days I focus on platform development for ApisCP, which is the platform that's always powered Apis Networks. Buying a domain through a hosting provider is fine as long as the provider isn't dodgy. In the past, Hytek Hosting comes to mind, have held domains hostage over dispute. It's less of a problem now that fewer dodgy providers remain.

Edit: yeah what DL said above ^^^

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nem posted:

Genius way to get forwarded to collections assuming you don't end up accidentally hanging yourself from all the rope AWS gives you first.

AWS will almost certainly fraud check or hold your account (and associated amazon retail account) with most prepaid cards due to extreme abuse

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

It's pretty easy to get the $1000 free aws credit offer if you have a plausible looking one-page "startup" website with its own domain.

Perhaps this could be your first project!

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

DarkLotus posted:

AWS is terrible advice. Don't get AWS or a VPS or anything else that requires a degree in IT to manage when you really just need a website that works.
Apis Networks is now Hostineer and nem has shifted his focus mainly to developing his control panel ApisCP.
I'm not sure what SA based hosts are left besides him and me, but if you don't want to manage a server or service, shared hosting will be a solid option.

Thank you for jumping in. I don't want to mess with AWS until I have to. I'm really just needing a site to get my HTML/CSS/JS/React up to scratch.

nem posted:

Check out DarkLotus/Lithium Hosting. These days I focus on platform development for ApisCP, which is the platform that's always powered Apis Networks. Buying a domain through a hosting provider is fine as long as the provider isn't dodgy. In the past, Hytek Hosting comes to mind, have held domains hostage over dispute. It's less of a problem now that fewer dodgy providers remain.

Edit: yeah what DL said above ^^^

Thank you too. I'm now remembering more of this and you were always a great person with my first foray into web dev, nem. You're really the reason I'd like to stick with a Goon offered service. You left an incredibly positive impression on my dumb rear end.

Sounds like Lithium is the way to go for my perceived needs.

Rufus Ping posted:

It's pretty easy to get the $1000 free aws credit offer if you have a plausible looking one-page "startup" website with its own domain.

Perhaps this could be your first project!

No thanks to this. I just want to make a fake brewery page and have a place to stick my self-directed education results.

Funny enough the original reason I launched a webpage was because I did a smartphone app and they required I had a webpage for it to get to the store. That app did pretty well and ended up making me $20 that they never paid out. Since money was a huge concern I had to stop the payment to have the app on the store since it made less than the cost to have it on the store and then with no app there was no reason for a webpage. It was a stressful few years and a lot fell through the cracks.

DarkLotus, I do have one question before I start the sign up process. Is it possible to have a store with your hosting? As part of my exercises I might try to make some kind of store that I can order stickers on the fake brewery page or something. I know that's probably a dumb question, but I already called myself a dumb rear end so keep in mind I am aware there's a lot to learn

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Earth posted:

Thank you for jumping in. I don't want to mess with AWS until I have to. I'm really just needing a site to get my HTML/CSS/JS/React up to scratch.
No worries, all I ever see here and on /r/webhosting is "AWS AWS AWS AWS AWS and VPS" when people just want to host Wordpress and have it work. It gets frustrating.

Earth posted:

DarkLotus, I do have one question before I start the sign up process. Is it possible to have a store with your hosting? As part of my exercises I might try to make some kind of store that I can order stickers on the fake brewery page or something. I know that's probably a dumb question, but I already called myself a dumb rear end so keep in mind I am aware there's a lot to learn
I officially run ApisCP on all of my shared hosting and have for well over a year. If you could do it at Hostineer, you can do it at Lithium now.
Short answer, yes, you can run a store without issue but it's on you to develop and implement :)

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

DarkLotus posted:

No worries, all I ever see here and on /r/webhosting is "AWS AWS AWS AWS AWS and VPS" when people just want to host Wordpress and have it work. It gets frustrating.

I officially run ApisCP on all of my shared hosting and have for well over a year. If you could do it at Hostineer, you can do it at Lithium now.
Short answer, yes, you can run a store without issue but it's on you to develop and implement :)

Cool. Cool.

I don't want Bezos to get more money and I don't own any Amazon stock so I wouldn't even be helping out myself by buying there. I don't want Wordpress. I just want a playground that I'm willing to pay for. I'm fine developing and implementing. Gotta learn somehow!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

To be fair, he said he was training and wanted a real site to mess with. If he just wanted a site, I agree that managed hosting makes the most sense.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
To be fair if someone just wants to host some HTML and CSS somewhere without any server side AWS and GCP are going to be cheaper than just about anything out there. Look at GitHub Pages for cheap as free static hosting as well, you can point your domain there these days.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

To be fair if someone just wants to host some HTML and CSS somewhere without any server side AWS and GCP are going to be cheaper than just about anything out there. Look at GitHub Pages for cheap as free static hosting as well, you can point your domain there these days.

Yeah you can get free static hosting from GitHub, GitLab, and many other places.

The ideal choice for HTML sites is Neocities but you need to pay for a custom domain name.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
To be fair, if you want a BMW an E46 or an E36 is a great platform*

*If you know your way around an engine.

Always read the audience and don't mire someone in details because something works for your skillset.

There are plenty of inexpensive VPS providers out there, I've benchmarked many of them. Performance varies and remember you're your own sysadmin when things go south.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The original question wanted somewhere to host some static assets and also eventually wanted to learn about docker containers, is there any shared host that will do that? Genuine question as I haven’t touched one in probably a decade.

A static site on S3 with a CloudFront for a custom host name will cost you less than 50c a month and requires 0 upkeep. You can do the same with GCS for a few bucks a month and use cloud run to try out docker in the cloud as well.

Cloud providers aren’t scary, there’s loads of fully managed services available these days and you can set budget alerts or caps if that’s a concern.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

A static site on S3 with a CloudFront for a custom host name will cost you less than 50c a month and requires 0 upkeep.

This is also <$1-3/year on nearlyfreespeech, justhost, or a number of other shared hosting services and requires 0 upkeep, without having to learn S3 and IAM

Or free cloudfront with netlify/surge/now/etc, so I am kind of 50/50 on this. If I wanted s3/cloudfront I'd probably just put it on netlify

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
How does one actually go and buy a domain name that they can keep on their own?

Everything that comes up is ad and seo stuff for services. Which is the minimalistic “just give my ip to the dns people” service?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
go to gandi.net or internetbs.net or dynadot.com, buy it, and use your registrar's dns service or dns.he.net or cloudns.net

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Huh, I didn’t realize those weren’t connected. Since I don’t understand how that actually works is there a resource you can point me to that explains it?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Buy a domain
- Go to a decent site and insert your money
- Uncheck everything except what you need (auto renew if this isn't a throwaway domain, privacy probably)
- You'll get an email from a super generic sounding domain about ICANN contact verification, click the verify link to confirm your email

Get DNS
- Register at a separate DNS provider, or use your provider's (I like dnsmadeeasy, but they're not free and start at $5/m)
- You'll get nameservers. Put those nameservers into your domain at your domain registrar (if you don't use your registrar)
- Add an "A" record at your DNS provider, value is IP you want it to point to

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I’m sure there’s a reason to not use he.net for dns but it’s free

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Well thanks. I always just assumed that DNS registrars and DNS servers were just the same people.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

The original question wanted somewhere to host some static assets and also eventually wanted to learn about docker containers, is there any shared host that will do that? Genuine question as I haven’t touched one in probably a decade.

Cloud providers aren’t scary, there’s loads of fully managed services available these days and you can set budget alerts or caps if that’s a concern.

No, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Docker lacks a suitable non-commercial ACL solution. Plesk as well as my implementation aren't intended for multi-tenant administration. Same is said for systemd, systemctl will leak all services to the user if permitted access. Isolation is hard to do on shared hosting and there's simply not a market to implement this for as VPS provides requisite isolation between guests while giving users the ability to run Docker and latch it into systemd without disclosing neighboring services.

There's a time and place for everything. Learn Docker first locally before rolling it out remotely. Running a server is a big responsibility. If one cannot set aside 10 hours a week minimum to learn how to run a server, then hold off until it's reasonable to budget in that time. Focus on static sites, learn how to code before wearing another hat.

On AWS it's the level of complexity necessary to achieve the desired outcome that's the problem; these are better geared toward enterprise rollouts in which scalability is limited solely by your credit limit and even then too that complexity isn't a good thing for billing clarity.

AWS is happy to give you that rope. If OP is used to shared hosting and firing that engine back up, maybe steer OP toward that route or something less complex than throwing OP into the deep end without swimmies.

Edit: reminds me of the recent trend of crypto-miners targeting Docker and AWS because how widespread this misadvice is.

nem fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 16, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
loving great, I switched to Office 365 Business Standard for my mail and I already broke the Outlook web interface. How in the gently caress.

--edit: bah, some AD replication delay, because I yanked the same email address from my Live account while setting things up.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 18, 2021

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Biowarfare posted:

go to gandi.net or internetbs.net or dynadot.com, buy it, and use your registrar's dns service or dns.he.net or cloudns.net

*cough* DarkLotus *cough*

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Well thanks. I always just assumed that DNS registrars and DNS servers were just the same people.
In the case of Gandi, it is optionally. I host all my DNS poo poo over there. I even have some harebrained DDNS setup to use their web APIs to update a hostname.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anybody ever use https://dedicated.com/ ?

They've got some nice prices for 1U west coast colos (los angeles). Company seems decent enough from poking around online. Sales has been quite responsive to my questions so I've at least got a good first impression.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
They were endofreality/usdedicated before I believe. Decent place, average at everything. Wouldnt be a bad choice

They host some lovely people though - like people that attack nike.com etc, so expect problems if you plan on using it as a VPN or proxying through it for anything like browsing google or downloading from youtube, it's likely already banned from those. Hosting a site no issues

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

They were endofreality/usdedicated before I believe. Decent place, average at everything. Wouldnt be a bad choice

They host some lovely people though - like people that attack nike.com etc, so expect problems if you plan on using it as a VPN or proxying through it for anything like browsing google or downloading from youtube, it's likely already banned from those. Hosting a site no issues

Thanks for the details! Much appreciated.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I'm looking for a recommendation for a host or at least a set of features if any web wizards have any.

I am working with a volunteer org on updating their website, which is currently just WordPress running on a super old GoDaddy plan. This plan in particular gets 100gb of storage, support for 1 website, and that's about it (no SSL). It's running for $10/month.

The website is pretty low traffic but it still needs to, you know, exist.

Our plan needs to go - even for a WordPress instance it is having issues - slow response time, out of date packages, super long download speeds (for backups).
The new host needs to provide SSL on the cheap (I don't mind doing it myself via Let's Encrypt or something) and be fairly "modern" - unfortunately I'm not 100% sure what that means in the technical sense, though.

We have flirted with the idea of something with cPanel and it looks super handy, but is probably about as complicated as anything should get. I don't want to set them up with AWS or anything complicated if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have any advice?
As a small fantasy my org works a little with sustainability - it would feel good if the host ran on renewable electricity or something but it's not necessary.

Thank you!

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Namecheap offers managed WordPress hosting, free SSL and will help you migrate from GoDaddy.

https://www.namecheap.com/wordpress/migrate/

Their prices aren't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Wordpress in TYOOL 2021, why I never