Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Braksgirl posted:

Why would you eat a hard boiled egg covered in chocolate? That seems gross.

Why does that egg spinner thing even exist

D-LINK posted:

This is the most offensive Karen poo poo yet

She asked if instead of asking why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Regarding snow blindness, I remember dealing with it in Northern Maine by getting those cool snow goggles like the Inuit wear.

Mine weren't made of Caribou antler but the bonus was I could pretend I was Cyclops from the X-Men!

I like how I lost internet this morning before I lost power. My goal is to manually open my garage door and get my car outside for the sole purpose of running it to charge my phone. I will never stop shitposting!

I love these goggles because you can see the exact thought process behind their creation

"gently caress this squinting poo poo, I'll make something to do it for me"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/CWatkinsWDSU/status/1361353720689221635

:stonk:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hey who wants to play a game about the battle of Fallujah?

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/15/22279600/six-days-in-fallujah-interview-iraq-war-politics

Only read that if you wanna get real mad.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hey who wants to play a game about the battle of Fallujah?

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/15/22279600/six-days-in-fallujah-interview-iraq-war-politics

Only read that if you wanna get real mad.

I love that it's blatantly stating that it isn't looking to cause controversy, that way the part where it looks suspiciously like it's drawing controversy is no big deal!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'll allow it if it's half as fun as JFK: Reloaded

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Isn't this normal like it looks spectacular but it's thawing out lines?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Interviews on the phone today went well, at least from my warped perspective of the interviewee, and it both cases the people I talked with liked what I was bringing to the table or at least gave that impression. The insurance one turns out to have a lot more to it than the previous quick calls and emails, plus the job description I originally applied to, indicated is involved, which isn't a huge issue but does give me a bit of pause. I think I could do it all, but it'd be taking on a lot in a short period and a lot more work. However, it'd be a very comfortable salary and give me much better options in the future, which keeps me hoping I keep moving forward in the process, and I should be hearing back about that next step in the next week or so.

The smaller, specialty company one felt really good as well, and the work is much closer to stuff I've done in the past so it'd probably be an easier transition and I think I'm more likely to get an offer. In fact, as I was typing this, the outside recruiter already got called by them to set up a video interview, which will be on Thursday, so hey, that's quick and a really good sign! The more I think about it, I like the idea of it, but their time off policy isn't great, although admittedly I'm coming from a place that used to be insanely open in that regard. The pay on this hasn't come up yet, but from what the recruiter indicated is it'd still be hourly at a rate that'd be a good increase over what I'm currently making (By about 20-25%) but a lot less than what the insurance place would be (Which would be like a 40% bump), and I'd be just on the edge of being able to start looking toward a decent place of my own.

This has been Fartknocker's Boring Job Update #3. Update your spreadsheets accordingly.

What the gently caress?! As someone who mostly lives in an area with the power lines buried and will never see snow, does anything like that happen with any regularity in snow or elevated lines?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Its Rinaldo posted:

Isn't this normal like it looks spectacular but it's thawing out lines?

No, in general it's a bad thing if lines are arcing power between them. That poo poo is cray.

Speaking of which, figured out why I don't have internet at my house:
https://imgur.com/a/6JINsIa

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

No, in general it's a bad thing if lines are arcing power between them. That poo poo is cray.

Speaking of which, figured out why I don't have internet at my house:
https://imgur.com/a/6JINsIa

I opened this right as the start of this song hit, which made me think it was you yellin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYpH6q3OCvk

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

General Dog posted:

I'll allow it if it's half as fun as JFK: Reloaded

This would have been a complete nothing if not for it’s absolutely hilarious physics.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

fartknocker posted:

Interviews on the phone today went well, at least from my warped perspective of the interviewee, and it both cases the people I talked with liked what I was bringing to the table or at least gave that impression. The insurance one turns out to have a lot more to it than the previous quick calls and emails, plus the job description I originally applied to, indicated is involved, which isn't a huge issue but does give me a bit of pause. I think I could do it all, but it'd be taking on a lot in a short period and a lot more work. However, it'd be a very comfortable salary and give me much better options in the future, which keeps me hoping I keep moving forward in the process, and I should be hearing back about that next step in the next week or so.

The smaller, specialty company one felt really good as well, and the work is much closer to stuff I've done in the past so it'd probably be an easier transition and I think I'm more likely to get an offer. In fact, as I was typing this, the outside recruiter already got called by them to set up a video interview, which will be on Thursday, so hey, that's quick and a really good sign! The more I think about it, I like the idea of it, but their time off policy isn't great, although admittedly I'm coming from a place that used to be insanely open in that regard. The pay on this hasn't come up yet, but from what the recruiter indicated is it'd still be hourly at a rate that'd be a good increase over what I'm currently making (By about 20-25%) but a lot less than what the insurance place would be (Which would be like a 40% bump), and I'd be just on the edge of being able to start looking toward a decent place of my own.

This has been Fartknocker's Boring Job Update #3. Update your spreadsheets accordingly.

What the gently caress?! As someone who mostly lives in an area with the power lines buried and will never see snow, does anything like that happen with any regularity in snow or elevated lines?

I live just below the snowbelt (like 30-50 miles south of the range of Great Lakes lake effect snows), it's a region where everything is still on poles, but I have never seen anything like that in my life

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

STALKER 2 looks sick

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the case against Alton Brown, if you're deciding whether to still like him or not. He voted Biden/Harris after a lifetime of voting R... but he also joked about the holocaust, thinks the frugal gourmet (a pedophile molester) is fine because he doesn't "care what he did in his personal life", and otherwise has an aggro rear end in a top hat personality on Twitter and elsewhere.

I've learned a ton from watching his show but I'm kinda done with him now. Not like "oh he should be canceled," I just can't enjoy it any more and there's other good sources for how to cook.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Leperflesh posted:

I've learned a ton from watching his show but I'm kinda done with him now. Not like "oh he should be canceled," I just can't enjoy it any more and there's other good sources for how to cook.

:sigh: this is kind of where I'm at, too. As an engineering student who suddenly realized I should learn how to cook for myself in 2004, Good Eats was a god-send. At this point I have my own copy of On Food and Cooking, and can figure things out from other sources if I need to.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Kenji Lopez-Alt is better than Alton Brown imo. Serious Eats kicks rear end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leperflesh posted:

the case against Alton Brown, if you're deciding whether to still like him or not. He voted Biden/Harris after a lifetime of voting R... but he also joked about the holocaust, thinks the frugal gourmet (a pedophile molester) is fine because he doesn't "care what he did in his personal life", and otherwise has an aggro rear end in a top hat personality on Twitter and elsewhere.

The Frugal Gourmet being a sex monster depressed me so much. I learned how to make omelets from his show when I was just a tiny thing growing up in Chicago. I think I still actually have one of his cookbooks in a box somewhere in my extra bedroom. :smith:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Kenji Lopez-Alt is better than Alton Brown imo. Serious Eats kicks rear end.

The Food Lab is the cookbook I turn to more than any other nowadays - his “I’m going to determine the best way to fry chicken through science” mentality is 100% my jam.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Timby posted:

Good Eats and No Reservations / Parts Unknown are absolutely in large part responsible for my love of cooking, even if Alton crawled entirely too far up his own rear end sometimes on Good Eats (he's got some recipes that are just completely absurd in their complexity, and his weird hatred of "unitaskers" is the strangest hill to die on). I learned so much about cooking technique from Brown, and so much about how to really appreciate different cuisines from Bourdain.

I've mentioned this before, but if anyone is looking for a reason to drop five bucks a month, Discovery+ is seriously the best streaming investment I've made recently. They have the entirety of Good Eats (including Reloaded and The Return) on there, plus everything else on Food Network, Science Channel, Discovery, TLC, etc., so you can easily throw away an entire afternoon watching Alton cook poo poo, or just vegging out to the dulcet tones of the narrator on How It's Made. No Reservations is on there, too, which is great--I kind of prefer it to Parts Unknown in some ways, but any Bourdain is good Bourdain.

Ninja edit: I had to look it up. Discovery+ has the near-complete catalogs of Food Network, Investigation Discovery / ID, TLC, OWN, Travel Channel, Magnolia Network, Discovery, Planet Earth, Animal Planet, A&E, History Channel, Lifetime, Science Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Destination America, AHC and Discovery Life. Five bucks a month for all that poo poo. Now excuse me, I'm going to turn on a random episode of American Pickers...

I will probably mourn the loss of Bourdain for the rest of my life. I was a huge fan of all his work. One of the first inklings I had that my wife was a keeper was when she got us tickets to a Bourdain live show at the the local performing arts center. Just a genuine icon.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing (probably how I've been able to do my job for over a decade) so yeah, he's a dickhead but Good Eats is a well made show with really good information and has transformed a lot of my cooking techniques. I'm not a chef by any stretch but I can do a lot of good basic things to keep the meals turning in the house and I owe a lot of that to Alton.

I can also still watch Kevin Spacey movies even though he's a monster. I'm generally fine separating people from their works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Intruder posted:

Here's some more stuff you can do with chocolate!

https://twitter.com/S_LoreneCarol/status/1361133570924949507

https://twitter.com/ProjectWuornos/status/1361128621985980417?s=20

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I know this one's a bit because if she needed sugar to break down(?) the proteins in the meat she could have just used, I don't know, normal-rear end sugar?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1361291113525612545

lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've made Alton Brown's egg nog recipe 3 years running, but that's about the extent I've done with the guy, and will probably try something different this year.

Seems like a lot of celebrity chefs have demons. Next you're gonna tell me Morimoto has a dog fighting ring or something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
i follow the teachings of Sam the Cooking Guy

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gaetz has a rock where his brain is supposed to be but this isn't the craziest idea. I think Florida is the unofficial seat of the GOP while Trump lives there, and DeSantis could probably bribe Trump with enough favors to get something resembling an endorsement and maybe even a promise that Trump won't just run himself (lol)

That said a hypothetical President DeSantis would be a loving disaster, and not even a funny one at that.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

seiferguy posted:

Seems like a lot of celebrity chefs have demons. Next you're gonna tell me Morimoto has a dog fighting ring or something.
In an industry where it takes some level of narcissism to be successful that's not all too surprising

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/americanidol/status/1361187986197663747?s=21

This seems like a bad thing to do now of all times

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Freaquency posted:

The Food Lab is the cookbook I turn to more than any other nowadays - his “I’m going to determine the best way to fry chicken through science” mentality is 100% my jam.

Hell yeah

I love the science behind it. I rely on that book and the website so much for cooking.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Alton Brown is a step too far, but Bourdain is ok? Is it because Bourdain is dead?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Gaetz has a rock where his brain is supposed to be but this isn't the craziest idea. I think Florida is the unofficial seat of the GOP while Trump lives there, and DeSantis could probably bribe Trump with enough favors to get something resembling an endorsement and maybe even a promise that Trump won't just run himself (lol)

That said a hypothetical President DeSantis would be a loving disaster, and not even a funny one at that.

Gaetz also wants to run for governor.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

All these politicians keep forgetting that a lot of Trump’s appeal is that he wasn’t a politician.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bird in a Blender posted:

All these politicians keep forgetting that a lot of Trump’s appeal is that he wasn’t a politician.

As someone who lives in the hellscape that is FL, the trumpers I sadly know too many of all love DeSantis and the more he talks poo poo about biden and does nothing about corona the more they love him.

MrLogan posted:

Alton Brown is a step too far, but Bourdain is ok? Is it because Bourdain is dead?

I'm assuming you're talking about him allegedly paying to hide the poo poo about Asia?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrLogan posted:

Brown: Former Southern Baptist evangelical rear end in a top hat, arrogant prick.

Bourdain: Arrogant prick, and ... ? I don't really recall too many knocks on him, outside of him thinking vegans were smug assholes who were in it for the attention, and frequently body-slamming other TV food personalities in his writing and on his shows.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Guy Fieri is the only morally righteous food guy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh yeah, forgot this came in the other day from my wifes surgery. Go ahead and cue up god bless America, etc

Note we owed $1200 out of pocket, the $72 was what was left after that. It would have been $1800 if we hadn't been able to pay the cash up front and had to do payments.

Her surgery cost more than our goddamn house.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ehud posted:

Guy Fieri story: When I lived in Baltimore, I lived a block away from a corner diner that was featured on Triple D, called the G & A Restaurant. I actually ate there every almost Saturday for lunch during that year and got to know the owner pretty well. One day when I had come in for a late lunch and the place was slow, I asked the owner, Andy, what it was like to have the show come in. He said that it was kind of chaotic, because the crew came in a day early to get all of their B-roll and establishing footage, and that Fieri was really high-strung when he was actually on-camera, but otherwise he was the nicest dude ever. Insisted that all of the crew get fed and then some, posed for photos with everyone, and hung behind and just bullshitted with people for hours after shooting was actually completed.

By all accounts, Fieri is a legitimately cool dude.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Ehud posted:

Alex Guarnaschelli

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ehud I had no idea you were a state congressman

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1361433979036061704

e: guess I accidentally quoted Pron on VHS instead of hitting reply

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 15, 2021

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ehud posted:

On the topic of new shows:

Just started The Leftovers on HBO Max. 2 episodes in and I'm feeling pretty unsure. I don't really like the show's overall style or characters yet. I'm told episode 3 might be the "hook" episode. If I come away from it feeling the same then I might abandon ship.

I go two episodes in a gave up so please report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm assuming you're talking about him allegedly paying to hide the poo poo about Asia?

Wut