Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

emdash posted:

Has anyone mounted a magnetic knife block with drywall anchors and if so, what size anchor did you use? I’m confused because the length of the screw is 1.5”, but of course only .75 inch clears the depth of the block. I’m sure I’m overthinking it, but I know very little about anchors so I don’t want to do anything dumb.

Yeah I have mine mounted with drywall anchors, I don't measure my anchors but I'd say I use ones that are around 1.5-2" long and yes you should use screws that penetrate the correct distance past the block and into the anchor - luckily for me 2-2.5" of penetration is hardly unusual and so I had all the necessary supplies just kicking around :v:

The forces acting on the anchors in this application are not only fairly small but more importantly are in a very limited vertical vector - even with strong magnets you won't have the mass of magnetic material in your knives to exert much of a pulling force away from the wall as you remove your knives to use them. I wouldn't worry too much about heavily fastening the block to the wall the way that you would a coat rack for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Most blocks will have you drill mounting brackets into the wall that the strip then slides into/onto.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The drywall anchors should have the correct dimensions of the screws you need on the packaging. If you bought them loose the info should be on the tag on their drawer @ the hardware store.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend an outdoor propane wok burner with a cooktop that’s good for rocking the wok? I have a bayou classics jet burner but the cooktop is a little clunky for a round bottom wok

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an Eastman Kahuna XL burner that fits my round bottom wok pretty well. It’s billed as a large pot/wok burner and I’ve been happy with it, though the height is weird. But otherwise it keeps the wok stable and has a lot more BTUs than my indoor range.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Anyone have any recs for electric stove pans/skillets that aren't non-stick or castiron? i was using some nice skillets that ive had for years but the electric stove up actually warped the bottom of them! now they heat stuff unevenly and spin.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tri-ply stainless? Just don't let them get too hot, or move them straight from a burner to cold water (ie my wife's habit of immediately rinsing a hot pan under the sink). All Clad if you want to spend, Tramontina if you don't.

The other choice would be carbon steel, I guess, but I could never get the seasoning right on mine.

Griddle update: it works well but I'm glad I got the IR thermometer too. 325 on the thermostat is 375 on the cooking surface. 375 on the dial is the surface of the sun.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm used to having a separated / 2-basin sink, where i use one with a metal rack for drying. We just moved into a house with a (very lovely) single-basin white porcelain sink and I need a new drying stand. I know there are those plastic drying stands meant to go beside the sink, with a catchment tray that drips into the sink, that would be functional but I was hoping for something a little nicer looking. Any thoughts?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Tri-ply stainless? Just don't let them get too hot, or move them straight from a burner to cold water (ie my wife's habit of immediately rinsing a hot pan under the sink). All Clad if you want to spend, Tramontina if you don't.

The other choice would be carbon steel, I guess, but I could never get the seasoning right on mine.

Griddle update: it works well but I'm glad I got the IR thermometer too. 325 on the thermostat is 375 on the cooking surface. 375 on the dial is the surface of the sun.

Holy poo poo i do probly once a day. Also whats clad?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone recommend an outdoor propane wok burner with a cooktop that’s good for rocking the wok? I have a bayou classics jet burner but the cooktop is a little clunky for a round bottom wok

I've been eyeing this, but I'm uncertain about their quality.

https://www.thewonderwok.com/buy

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

thehandtruck posted:

not sure what you mean by this. are you dumping cold water in a hot pan? if so, don’t. that can warp things.

all clad is a brand name. they’re usually multiple metals bonded together, with the go-tos tending toward a coated aluminum pan with a thick stainless steel bottom plate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

thehandtruck posted:

Anyone have any recs for electric stove pans/skillets that aren't non-stick or castiron? i was using some nice skillets that ive had for years but the electric stove up actually warped the bottom of them! now they heat stuff unevenly and spin.

What brand skillets did you have

AFAIK warping is mitigated by having thicker steel pans, and my Calphalons got warped because they were on the thin end of the scale

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

thehandtruck posted:

You should never wash a hot pan/cookware cause there is a risk of “thermal shock”; basically, the outer layer of the pan cool down much faster than the inner layers of the pan, which causes warping, etc (heat causes expansion, cold causes contraction). Same reason you wouldn’t run cold water over a hot glass dish

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

gently caress yeah wok hayyyyy

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Yeah I'm so dumb. I cook two or three times a day since covid and I always IMMEDIATELY wash them to start cleaning up. How satisfying is that sound though?! Whoops. I'll post some food pics in the other thread as penitence.

I got the pan 8 years ago as a gift and it's a Sur La Table skillet but they don't sell them anymore. I've searched for a few weeks but I think they discontinued it a year or so ago. It is actually their brand and not another reseller or manufacturer and was like 180 bucks I think. I'd probably be willing to spend something a little less than that these days, but might have to since I'd like 12-14 inches.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004T6MSIS/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP44MQ/

normally the all-clad is closer to $120, so try shopping around

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ve got an all-clad but I think I bought a too big one. It’s probably my least favorite pan by a wide margin, it seems to have a really big problem with sticky oil residue, much more than any other stainless pan I’ve had.

Makes good tortillas at least, but it ends up with some small amount of tortilla residue on it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Continuation of warp chat- deglazing is generally okay because it's a small amount of liquid and the pan is not scorching hot yeah?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

thehandtruck posted:

Yeah I'm so dumb. I cook two or three times a day since covid and I always IMMEDIATELY wash them to start cleaning up. How satisfying is that sound though?! Whoops. I'll post some food pics in the other thread as penitence.

I got the pan 8 years ago as a gift and it's a Sur La Table skillet but they don't sell them anymore. I've searched for a few weeks but I think they discontinued it a year or so ago. It is actually their brand and not another reseller or manufacturer and was like 180 bucks I think. I'd probably be willing to spend something a little less than that these days, but might have to since I'd like 12-14 inches.

You can honestly find comparable restaurant-quality pans at restaurant supply stores for a fraction of the cost of All Clad or big name brands. I've never had an issue with winco heavy-bottomed pans, and a 12-14" skillet might run you $40-$50. It won't look half as pretty, but it'll last you a lifetime.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrianBoitano posted:

Continuation of warp chat- deglazing is generally okay because it's a small amount of liquid and the pan is not scorching hot yeah?

yup

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

You can honestly find comparable restaurant-quality pans at restaurant supply stores for a fraction of the cost of All Clad or big name brands. I've never had an issue with winco heavy-bottomed pans, and a 12-14" skillet might run you $40-$50. It won't look half as pretty, but it'll last you a lifetime.

I also linked a tramontina skillet which is $60 to the all-clad's ~$120. The tramontina is probably 75-98% as good as the all-clad, depending on who you ask - all-clad definitely charges a chunk extra for the name (which, to be fair, has a long history of excellent quality, reliability, and support). I do think it's at least worth paying for full tri-ply rather than encapsulated bottom, which some of the cheap pans are. And restaurant supply stores can be very useful but they're not really as accessible as amazon, and you have to factor in shipping costs as well if you're buying online, so you won't save as much as you might think at first.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

hypnophant posted:

I also linked a tramontina skillet which is $60 to the all-clad's ~$120. The tramontina is probably 75-98% as good as the all-clad, depending on who you ask - all-clad definitely charges a chunk extra for the name (which, to be fair, has a long history of excellent quality, reliability, and support). I do think it's at least worth paying for full tri-ply rather than encapsulated bottom, which some of the cheap pans are. And restaurant supply stores can be very useful but they're not really as accessible as amazon, and you have to factor in shipping costs as well if you're buying online, so you won't save as much as you might think at first.

this is true, but most restaurant supply stores I know let people walk in, which assumes you have access to one. I understand during covid-times this can be difficult.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My fryer died. I also have a stupidly big toaster oven. Combine this with needing to conserve counterspace, can someone recommend an air fryer? I'm currently contemplating these 3 but can completely change my mind on a recommendation

Plain old air fryer, sucks because I lose counterspace
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VM28XTR/?coliid=I28Z2H77XWD6N1&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Air fryer and toaster oven combo, gain counterspace because my current toaster oven is stupidly huge
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07T9GBYG4/?coliid=IHYFGNXSDC371&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Air fryer and pressure cooker combo, meh I don't gain or lose counterspace I guess
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FDFP79J/?coliid=IYQI3Y661B46Y&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

My fryer died. I also have a stupidly big toaster oven. Combine this with needing to conserve counterspace, can someone recommend an air fryer? I'm currently contemplating these 3 but can completely change my mind on a recommendation

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VM28XTR/?coliid=I28Z2H77XWD6N1&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Air fryer and toaster oven combo, gain counterspace because my current toaster oven is stupidly huge
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07T9GBYG4/?coliid=IHYFGNXSDC371&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Air fryer and pressure cooker combo, meh I don't gain or lose counterspace I guess
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FDFP79J/?coliid=IYQI3Y661B46Y&colid=SDTN8JBK038N&psc=1

Meh, I have the Ninja one and it is giant and a pain in the rear end to move. Plus you have that extra lid for pressure cooking that there's no good place to store, and I always have to gently caress with the valve to get it to seal properly and not hiss the whole time when pressure cooking. Plus with the air fryer, there's no good way to dump out the basket full of hot food, nor are there handles to easily lift it out.

That first ones looks huge with a comparatively tiny cook space in the tumbler inside.

The air fryer I have only does air frying, it was cheap and it's just some white label Chinese product, I've seen it rebranded all over the place. But it air fries really well. Looks like this is similar to it? I would def get one with a basket that you can dump out. https://smile.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-5-8-Quarts-Electric-Recipes/dp/B0777RJG6D/

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have this one which is nice. If I had room for a semi-permanent countertop appliance I'd get a real convection toaster oven instead, but I don't and this is about as big as I want to deal with digging out of the cabinet on a regular basis.

Big thing on an air fryer IMO is to get a square basket rather than round. Most "features" are just presets, kind of like on an Instant Pot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Croatoan posted:

I have an instapot with the air fryer accessory, and that's pretty good, easy to put on and whatnot. To be fair I've never owned another air fryer so I don't know if it's a great one, but I make a lot of buffalo wings.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s pricey but breville has a toaster oven air fryer, they make quality stuff

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...Toaster%20Ovens

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

It’s pricey but breville has a toaster oven air fryer, they make quality stuff

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/p...Toaster%20Ovens

That's been my only oven for years and I love it

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I despise my Breville brand instant pot thing. Don’t buy it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a friend with one and she has to constantly fight it to get a proper seal. I have a no name thing from Costco and it is a little finnicky with the seal but not too annoying and it cost like half the price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just fuckin get Instant Pots for pressure cookers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Just fuckin get Instant Pots for pressure cookers

agree unless you need the 15psi for some reason (they actually make one that gets there supposedly but i know nothing about it).

in re oven chat: that breville is expensive enough that imo i’d keep saving up for the anova. i know that’s a big jump (and physically large) but i’m not convinced the breville is that much better than other options on the market for that niche.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 17, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

agree unless you need the 15psi for some reason (they actually make one that gets there supposedly but i know nothing about it).

The Kuhn Rikon stovetop can't even get it up to 15

All the stovetop pressure cooker makers have been lying to you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

The Kuhn Rikon stovetop can't even get it up to 15

All the stovetop pressure cooker makers have been lying to you

i don’t believe this is true for “all the stovetop pressure cooker makers”. kr specifically lists 11.8psi as the high setting on a number of their pressure cookers. you can generally feel this out by recipe timings.

regardless i only worry about it for canning and i’m pretty confident in my trusty presto ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Moving into a new place this weekend (hell yeah) and am pretty stoked about not having to share a kitchen. For the past few years, I've been able to coast by using my roommate's stuff rounded out by the few random pieces I have, but I'm planning to leave those for him and start completely fresh. From reading the OP and a shitload of pages from this thread, my plan is:

8" non stick (mostly for eggs)
10" stainless or non stick fry pan (leaning non stick, since I can get an 8/10" Calphalon set for a decent price)
12" Lodge cast iron
Enamel dutch oven
Stainless sauce pan
Stainless saute pan (sorta redundant, but I regularly make a big batch of pasta sauce and want to be able to boil water in the dutch oven at the same time)

Any glaring gaps in my plan? I'm mostly going to be cooking for myself, with the occasional guest. I'll be buying a lot of cooking utensils (stuff like a chef knife, spatulas, etc.) as well, but I'm mostly trying to make sure I've covered my cookware bases

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’d recommend you add a 10”-12” carbon steel skillet to that list. It’s kind of an-between of a cast iron pan and stainless steel pan and probably my overall “most used” item in the kitchen.

Also, get several good wooden spoons and a few silicone “spoonulas”. It’s nice to just be able to grab a clean spoon/spoonula when you need one.

E. The carbon steel would easily replace the “fry skillet” you mentioned, fyi

E2. I also have a little non-stick sauce pot (it’s a 1.5qt, I think) that I use a bunch when I’m reheating leftover tomato sauces (or more liquids dishes, like chili, curry, etc) just cause clean up is much faster.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 17, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The spot I'm moving is fairly small, so storage space is a factor. What exactly would be the benefit(s) of a carbon steel pan versus stainless? If they're largely the same, I think I'd prefer to stick to just getting one (at least initially)

Yeah, wooden spoons and silicone spatulas are on the list, for sure. I just didn't wanna bore people typing out every little thing I'm planning to put in the kitchen

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Stainless is A PITA to cook foods you don't want to stick to the pan, liked eggs. If you're only going one pan, carbon is the way to go as it's the most versatile of the 3 types. It does require the most work though. If you'd allow yourself 2 pans I would go 1x stainless steel fry pan for general use and beating up, and 1x non-stick, which you baby a bit for when you need the non-stick factor.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Carbon is annoying. You have to dry it off and stuff. If I only owned a carbon steel pan I would be extremely upset and would probably stop cooking as much. Stainless steel is amazing, you don't have to do anything. I would always buy stainless first and just live with using more oil when frying eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
On skillets: if you’re cooking mostly solo, you probably don’t need a 12”. I cook for 2 most of the time and very rarely use my 12” skillet. Also, an 8” nonstick is great for eggs but so small.

I’d swap those for 10” versions of everything: nonstick, stainless, and either cast iron or carbon steel (carbon steel is great but you don’t need both to start with). You’re covered for fish and eggs in the nonstick, searing in the iron or carbon steel, and general use in the stainless.

On the Dutch oven: It sucks to boil water in a Dutch oven (takes even longer because of the thermal mass), but I’m going to come back to that. Get one anyway, because they rule, but definitely don’t go larger than 5.5 qt, and if you’re not going to do whole roasts in it I say go 4 qt. I switched from an 8 qt to a 4 qt this year and it gets a lot more use (but it is definitely small for doing things like a whole chicken).

On the last two: To deal with the boiling thing, you could do a larger saucepan, like 3 qt, and get a lot of use out of it for general boiling including pasta (imo less water for pasta is actually better—you get more concentrated starches to use in your sauces).

I would also swap the sauté pan for a saucier—they kill for making pasta sauces and then finishing the pasta right in the pan (in addition to... just making sauces). If you really want a sauté pan anyway, skip the 10” stainless skillet instead, so you can still make room for the saucier.

It’s a nice setup overall, you shouldn’t need more stovetop cookware ever for anything except making stock.