Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

He’s another black and grey CGI monstrosity that’s lost all the Neo-fantasy esque touches of his original design to do a big angry guy in space armor.

Nod, buddy, that is Darkseid's design. His color pallet is grey, black, red, maybe dark blue if he's feeling saucy.

The only difference is that his miniskirt is armored instead of leather. Its frankly a step up from his recent comic book designs which ditched his miniskirt entirely like cowards

Like yeah he's CG, but that's just unavoidable at this point. I'd prefer make-up effects for a character like him but we lost that fight eons ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Nodosaur posted:

He’s another black and grey CGI monstrosity that’s lost all the Neo-fantasy esque touches of his original design to do a big angry guy in space armor.

He's got the grey cracked skin, the jaw helmet, glowy eyes, the omega emblem

His clothing isn't blue, that's about the only difference other than being 3d

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Darko posted:

Theres really only so much you can do with naturally lighting Darkseid grey and blue design in making him live action.

Then by all means turn the blue to black and suck all the color out of it and make it look all teched out.

The Fourth World designs were always great because of how grounded they were in marrying fantasy and zeerust sci-fi aesthetics. There’s nothing of Kirby’s characterful designs in Snyder’s vision of Apokolips.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Roth posted:

Darkseid, very famously, is not grey

His skin is very much grey. His clothing is usually blue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

His skin is very much grey. His clothing is usually blue.

But it's also been black, and has been for a while

This is taking more cues from New 52 for color scheme stuff

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

Then by all means turn the blue to black and suck all the color out of it and make it look all teched out.

The Fourth World designs were always great because of how grounded they were in marrying fantasy and zeerust sci-fi aesthetics. There’s nothing of Kirby’s characterful designs in Snyder’s vision of Apokolips.

That's because they're not going for those designs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

But it's also been black, and has been for a while

This is taking more cues from New 52 for color scheme stuff

I searched for “New 52 Darkseid” and all the pictures have his armor as blue.

Roth posted:

That's because they're not going for those designs.

Of course not. I’m saying that the new designs are much less interesting and ultimately weaker. They’re all a sea of black and armor-like greeblies. They sucked out everything interesting in order to make a bunch of generic looking space demons.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the Satanic cult angle is neat, and I'm a massive bitch for Jack Kirby's art.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Smallville is fascinating but it's also unbelievably bad and it runs for 10 seasons of 20+ episodes each, which means that much as I'd love to hear more people's takes on it I can't really ask them to suffer through it.

Smallville made Jon Kent the greatest villain in DC. He created Lex, etc.

Which is why I got so confused that people were so mad about Costner and his "I dont know" in MoS.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darko posted:

Which is why I got so confused that people were so mad about Costner and his "I dont know" in MoS.

Clark and Lana having to give up on each other because she's literally toxic to him is one of the greatest unintentional(?) punchlines in television but you need like seven seasons of unbelievable trash to appreciate it

it's also probably one of the key vectors of the Joss Whedonification of superhero media. that show wants to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer so goddamn bad you can taste it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

You assume most of those people watched more than two seasons of Smallville. I was a giant Superman nerd and had a tremendous crush on Michael Rosenbaum and even that couldn't keep me onboard.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I searched for “New 52 Darkseid” and all the pictures have his armor as blue.

Of course not. I’m saying that the new designs are much less interesting and ultimately weaker. They’re all a sea of black and armor-like greeblies. They sucked out everything interesting in order to make a bunch of generic looking space demons.

I do like that we're at a point where a particular depiction of a space demon could be called a generic depiction of a space demon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

I do like that we're at a point where a particular depiction of a space demon could be called a generic depiction of a space demon.

What do you want from me? It’s grey, black, all colors associated with drabness. The armor adds nothing unique, and the general aesthetic makes these characters lose the stark individuality they had from one another in the comics. What meaningfully separates these characters from the likes of Ares or Doomsday? Everything about them adds up to less than their source material.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

One character design that could be on a GPU box might be considered a misfortune; two looks like carelessness. But three?! Four?!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's not a lot of daylight between this Darkseid and Thanos's minions, though to be maximally fair he's only been seen thus far in the light cast by some kind of evil hellfire

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

What do you want from me?

I dunno, an opinion that isn't terrible? :v:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That is something I've been wondering

IS Darkseid's armor black? Or is that just the lighting?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Let's bring back the purple leggings and miniskirt! That's an enduring character design!
-Geniuses on the internet

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

2house2fly posted:

There's not a lot of daylight between this Darkseid and Thanos's minions, though to be maximally fair he's only been seen thus far in the light cast by some kind of evil hellfire

Sad they didn't bring back Space Jafar in Endgame, tbh.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i prefer portrayals of Darkseid that lean more towards ostentatious than drab, and more "he's worshiped by the people he oppresses to such a degree that they won't allow themselves to be saved" vs. how this movie seems to be going more for Apokolips as an industrial insect hive with no individuality at all except for the rulers

but that's a judgment in a vacuum, i can wait and see how this actually plays out in context

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

2house2fly posted:

They remind me a lot of Thor 2’s Dark Elves. We’ve got a Darkseid with all the visual interest of Malekith here.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

What meaningfully separates these characters from the likes of Ares or Doomsday?

Wasn't actually having a go at you, but the answer to this part is that Darkseid looks quite different to this universe's versions of Doomsday and Ares. I have no idea how to give a more details answer other than simply listing all their differences.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Let's bring back the purple leggings and miniskirt! That's an enduring character design!
-Geniuses on the internet

I know two things about Darkseid from osmosis: he dresses like an idiot and he loves reclining on couches

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I know two things about Darkseid from osmosis: he dresses like an idiot and he loves reclining on couches

whomst among us

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i prefer portrayals of Darkseid that lean more towards ostentatious than drab, and more "he's worshiped by the people he oppresses to such a degree that they won't allow themselves to be saved" vs. how this movie seems to be going more for Apokolips as an industrial insect hive with no individuality at all except for the rulers

but that's a judgment in a vacuum, i can wait and see how this actually plays out in context

The insect hive thing ties back to Krypton though, and also kind of, to earth, so it kind of makes sense as a thematic throughline. Plus his whole thing is trying to subvert the free will of sentient beings and replace it with his own, the hive mind thing ties neatly into that too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

I know a third thing: he has eye lazers but they do crazy zigzags instead of going in a straight line

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

McCloud posted:

The insect hive thing ties back to Krypton though, and also kind of, to earth, so it kind of makes sense as a thematic throughline. Plus his whole thing is trying to subvert the free will of sentient beings and replace it with his own, the hive mind thing ties neatly into that too.

yeah in much the same way that MoS is a Superman who's just starting out and doesn't have the effortless command of his own power a la All Star Superman or whatever, this is (presumably) a Darkseid who has just about fully realized his goal

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Wasn't actually having a go at you, but the answer to this part is that Darkseid looks quite different to this universe's versions of Doomsday and Ares. I have no idea how to give a more details answer other than simply listing all their differences.

I'd be interested in hearing those differences, honestly. If my analogy is flawed I have no problem with it being challenged respectfully than simply being told my opinion sucks.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

Both baked in from the start by Kirby, a true visionary.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Doxxing mods (me) is frowned upon

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's also probably one of the key vectors of the Joss Whedonification of superhero media. that show wants to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer so goddamn bad you can taste it

I'm a sucker for Angel, but the Whedon shows produced such an incredible tide of 100% unwatchable copycat garbage. Charmed is probably worse than Smallville, but not by much.

E: as someone not particularly allied to a side, I find the Snyder take on the new gods very boring aesthetically. They dont need to be faithful to the original designs, but I dont particularly care for this iteration of Steppenwolf and Darkseid.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 16, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Both baked in from the start by Kirby, a true visionary.

This owns

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I'd be interested in hearing those differences, honestly. If my analogy is flawed I have no problem with it being challenged respectfully than simply being told my opinion sucks.

Look at images of them then and notice the differences. They're purely visual differences. The part that is comparable (frustratingly almost identical) is that they're shot in near shadow, lit by firelight (or things like firelight) which is what's creating the impression that they're the same.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I admit I do want to see Darkeid show up on Aquaman’s couch with a magnificent grin on his face and face Jason Momoa play off it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Look at images of them then and notice the differences. They're purely visual differences. The part that is comparable (frustratingly almost identical) is that they're shot in near shadow, lit by firelight (or things like firelight) which is what's creating the impression that they're the same.

I'm not saying there's not actual differences. I'm saying that there's not much about them is meaningfully different. They share the same limited color pallet lacking characterful flourishes than their source material exemplified, in my opinion at least.

It feels like if they took the Power Rangers and made them all the same color. And color is important; it made everyone in Kirby's works feel distinct from each other, especially as far as the New Gods go, and I feel it's missing here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like his armor design but I don't think DS really pops in that still image the way I'd like him too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

I like his armor design but I don't think DS really pops in that still image the way I'd like him too.

This I’ll agree with. It’s not popping or dynamic like something Kirby inspired would do.

If I had to make an excuse it’s like his costuming absorbs the light line a black hole

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Smallville is fascinating but it's also unbelievably bad

I understand. I've watched anime before.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not saying there's not actual differences. I'm saying that there's not much about them is meaningfully different. They share the same limited color pallet lacking characterful flourishes than their source material exemplified, in my opinion at least.

It feels like if they took the Power Rangers and made them all the same color. And color is important; it made everyone in Kirby's works feel distinct from each other, especially as far as the New Gods go, and I feel it's missing here.

And so this is a pointless conversation. If you can't at least specify what consitutes a meaningfull difference between three very different designs that all look really different, then we can't get anywhere. For instance, Ares armour is overlaid with chains, and barely fits him, creating a sense of someone who is constrained and contained by his armour, rather than willingly wearing. Darkseid's armour is more than skin tight, deliberately blurring where he ends and the armour begins (notice how his hood goes in slightly further than the skull immediately next to it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

And so this is a pointless conversation. If you can't at least specify what consitutes a meaningfull difference between three very different designs that all look really different, then we can't get anywhere. For instance, Ares armour is overlaid with chains, and barely fits him, creating a sense of someone who is constrained and contained by his armour, rather than willingly wearing. Darkseid's armour is more than skin tight, deliberately blurring where he ends and the armour begins (notice how his hood goes in slightly further than the skull immediately next to it)

Hm. You've given me something to think about. I guess I wasn't giving these designs enough credit as far as differences.

But I still think color is important, and that DC has been sadly limited on that front re: its bad guys.