Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait until you get to the road salt episodes that people got themselves banned over.

This is a story I haven't heard before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Regy Rusty posted:

This is a story I haven't heard before

There’s a later episode that prominently features Michael and Dwight sitting in a car covered in road salt and muck and the Office thread had a very spicy 10+ page derail over whether or not the road salt was real or some fake sprayed-on production thing. Some posters really made that their chosen hill to die on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hmm, I went to Hulu to watch last night's Bob's and for some reason instead of being available next day like every other episode it won't be up until next Monday.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Hmm, I went to Hulu to watch last night's Bob's and for some reason instead of being available next day like every other episode it won't be up until next Monday.

My TV tracker app has decided that and The Great North didn’t actually air this week, but I’ve found them both available online.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

I don't think it aired last night since the Daytona 500 was in rain delay for forever and live sports will pre-empt scheduled stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, maybe they aired on the west coast, but they didn't on the east coast.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
People actually enjoy The Great North? :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a later episode that prominently features Michael and Dwight sitting in a car covered in road salt and muck and the Office thread had a very spicy 10+ page derail over whether or not the road salt was real or some fake sprayed-on production thing. Some posters really made that their chosen hill to die on.

Wha-?

That's bonkers!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

People actually enjoy The Great North? :psyduck:

The first two episodes have been fine, I guess. I’ll give it a few more before I decide if I want to keep going with it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember around the same time there was also the 30 Rock "What is this, the local?" but that seems to not have had the same lasting power.

probably because some broke brains lost their mind screaming it was a racial insult

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you were/are a fan of "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast", comedian Dana Gould has launched a new Youtube series with nearly identical premise (it's live action, not animated).

"Hanging with Dr. Z", a talk show hosted by Dr. Zaius. Yes, from the Planet of the Apes series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Su8UP94Qac

First week's guest: Steven Weber.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Obligatory mention of the Mike's Voice argument

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

probably because some broke brains lost their mind screaming it was a racial insult

That was a Mad Men thing, and it was a racial insult, people just didn't realize it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

If you were/are a fan of "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast", comedian Dana Gould has launched a new Youtube series with nearly identical premise (it's live action, not animated).

"Hanging with Dr. Z", a talk show hosted by Dr. Zaius. Yes, from the Planet of the Apes series.

Thank you so much, this is loving great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

That was a Mad Men thing, and it was a racial insult, people just didn't realize it.

I once had a goon very angrily argue with me against the idea that "spook" could ever be any kind of racial insult because it only means government agents and has always meant that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Davros1 posted:

What incredible news.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a few hints of the psychological artsy horror stuff in Clarice but 99% of the episode is another CBS procedural cop show. Huge waste. It was a big effort to make it through the 42 minutes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a few hints of the psychological artsy horror stuff in Clarice but 99% of the episode is another CBS procedural cop show. Huge waste. It was a big effort to make it through the 42 minutes.

It's Alex Kurztman.

Say what you will about JJ Abrams, but the writers rooms he assembled over the years have churned out some of the most basic, mercenary scriptwriters on television.

And Kurztman, along with writing partner Roberto Orci, are still the only one to have been chucked off Xena for being too poo poo.

If there's any artsy poo poo in Clarice, it's because they thought it was sell. Because Hannibal has cultural capital, and because Silence of the Lambs sold, and cop procedurals sell. And it won't be there because it's well motivated, or because anyone making the show actually thought they were producing something worth making.

But big ups for struggling through that pilot. I've watched worse for less.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 16, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

That was a different thing, unless I’m forgetting something. “What is this, the local?” is from the 30 Rock episode where Kenneth is making jokes in the elevator.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That was a different thing, unless I’m forgetting something. “What is this, the local?” is from the 30 Rock episode where Kenneth is making jokes in the elevator.

Yes. It was a joke about the elevator making a ton of stops, like a local subway. An express train would skip a bunch of stops. It’s not a tricky joke but people went nuts.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
To be fair, only literally 0.01% of the US even has mass transit. It's a joke that was completely inscrutable to anyone who has never visited NYC or LA

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

To be fair, only literally 0.01% of the US even has mass transit. It's a joke that was completely inscrutable to anyone who has never visited NYC or LA

Or Boston, or Chicago, or Dallas, or basically any major city and it’s metro area.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the elisa lam doc on netflix continues a disturbing trend in their docs by featuring "web sleuths" prominently, who do nothing but spout batshit Q-worth conspiracies that have nothing to do with the facts and have the rational explanation and evidence of: "it just has to be!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

the elisa lam doc on netflix continues a disturbing trend in their docs by featuring "web sleuths" prominently, who do nothing but spout batshit Q-worth conspiracies that have nothing to do with the facts and have the rational explanation and evidence of: "it just has to be!"

Was she the one that ended up in a water tank that always gets talked up as an unsolved mystery when she had untreated bipolar disorder and ended up accidentally killing herself in a manic episode?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Was she the one that ended up in a water tank that always gets talked up as an unsolved mystery when she had untreated bipolar disorder and ended up accidentally killing herself in a manic episode?
that's the one. more than half the doc is given to these "web sleuths" that are convinced that it was simultaneously murder, rape, that a musician who wasn't in the building that night did it because he was a metal singer and so obviously he's evil, that a bipolar woman would NEVER go off her meds ever!, that there's a test for tuberculosis called "lam-elisa" so the government is covering up a plot to intentionally infect skid row with a new strain of TB

after the coroner's report happens, the web sleuths all go "NAH, that's not it, he's wrong or it's a cover-up still"

and the doc gives them equal credence/credibility. it's only at the very very end where some of the sleuths go "oh whoopsie I guess I shouldn't have harassed that one metal band singer into becoming suicidal ha ha pobody's nerfect"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 16, 2021

Clibanarius
Sep 22, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/bondnickbond/status/1361435834889637888

Somehow, that's actually real, too: https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/15/joss-whedon-buffy-star-nicholas-brendon-refuses-to-comment-on-claims-14085791/

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Kazzah posted:

Obligatory mention of the Mike's Voice argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw8ltCu8sCE

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Nicholas "Lowtax" Brendon

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
drat 4 episodes into Servant and I’m hooked.

The actual dialog isn’t as strong as something like Hill House, but the story is fascinating, with a strong emotional core.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Simone Magus posted:

Fuckin libs amirite

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yes. It was a joke about the elevator making a ton of stops, like a local subway. An express train would skip a bunch of stops. It’s not a tricky joke but people went nuts.

Specifically, Kenneth says it when 3 black characters get on the elevator, and despite literally all the context in the world, like Kenneth being a G rated buffon, other non white actors in the shot etc. some people insisted he was making a derogatory racial remark other then a corny joke about making too many stops.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hughmoris posted:

Probably the same group that thought Shannon was stabbed.

I was in the thread for that when it happened and it went on for the better part of a week. People just lost their loving minds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lost made people make up all sorts of crazy poo poo so they can smugly say "called it" when one piece of poo poo actually sticks on the wall.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://twitter.com/Ruleslawyer01/status/1361518193567690756

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1361616436230311936

France

Parallels — Disney+
Marianne creator Quoc Dang Tran and Anastasia Heinzl write this six-part fantasy adventure series, which follows four teenagers whose lives are turned upside down when a mysterious event propels them into parallel dimensions. Produced by Empreinte Digitale and Dang Trang’s Daïmôn Films, filming is underway on the series, which is billed as a witty romp for a family audience.

Oussekine — Star
This four-part limited series explores the terrible true events of December 5, 1986, which led to the death of a young student, Malik Oussekine. The show is anchored by his family’s fight for justice and the impact his death had on French society. Oussekine is created and directed by Antoine Chevrollier (Baron Noir) and co-written by Faïza Guène, Julien Lilti, and Cédric Ido. It is housed at Itinéraire Productions.

Weekend Family — Disney+
Created by Baptiste Filleul (La Foret), this eight-part comedy chronicles the life of a new stepfamily that meets up every weekend. But when the father gets into a relationship with a new partner, the weekends take on a whole different turn. Elephant Groupe produces, while the writers include Nour Bensalem, Géraldine de Margerie, Julie-Anna Grignon, Marion Carnel, and Paul Madillo.

Soprano: Sing or Die — Star
Access documentary on French rapper, singer, and songwriter, Soprano. The six-part series follows him as he prepares for a 2022 stadium tour, as well as tracing his story from humble beginnings in Marseilles to present-day success. Breath Films is the producer.

Italy

The Good Mothers — Star
House Productions and Fremantle-owned Wildside produce this six-part series, which tells the true story of how three courageous women inside the notorious Calabrian ‘Ndrangheta mafia worked with newly-minted female prosecutor, Alessandra Cerreti, to bring down down the criminal empire. Based on a book of the same name by Alex Perry, the series is written by BAFTA-winning Baghdad Centraland The Last Kingdom scribe Stephen Butchard. Executive producers are Juliette Howell and Tessa Ross for House Productions, and Mario Gianani and Lorenzo Gangarossa for Wildside.

The Ignorant Angels — Star
An eight-part romantic drama inspired by the 2001 Italian box office hit Le Fate Ignoranti. Turkish-Italian director Ferzan Ozpetek’s revisits his feature for the series, which follows Antonia, who discovers that her husband had a same-sex affair before he was killed in a car accident. She’s devastated at the news, but the straight-laced Antonia finds herself building an unexpected and moving friendship with her husband’s former lover, Michele, and his circle of misfit eccentrics. R&C Productions is producing.

Boris — Star
A new season of Fox Networks Group’s show-within-a-show series, Boris. Produced by Fremantle-backed The Apartment, the original show followed the behind-the-scenes world of a low-budget medical drama series. In the new six-part season for Star, the hapless crew will reunite to produce a show for a global streaming platform. Boris previously ran for three seasons and a film.

Germany

Sam – A Saxon — Star
Created by Deutschland 83 creator Jörg Winger, the eight-part series tells the real-life story of Samuel Meffire, East Germany’s first black police officer. The series shows how Meffire became a media sensation and a symbol of modern society in the post-reunification 1990s. But just a few years later, he ended up behind bars himself. It is made through Winger’s new production company Big Window Productions.

Sultan City — Star
A dark comedy thriller from up-and-coming producers Ayla Gottschlich and Aysel Yilmaz, and head writer Ipek Zübert. It centers on the respectable matriarch of a German-Turkish family who accidentally becomes the head of a criminal underworld, and discovers she and her daughters have a talent for the business. Two Moons Pictures produces.

Netherlands

Feyenoord Rotterdam — Star
Eight-part series going behind the scenes of Dutch soccer club Feyenoord Rotterdam. Produced by Lusus Media, the series also follows Feyenoord’s fanbase, reflecting on the team’s history, which is filled with both melancholy and pride. It is the first time a TV series has captured the inner workings of a Dutch soccer club.

lomzus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 16, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Really wish there was a thread for Servant because there’s so much to discuss.

This show is batshit in the best way.

Also Cheezus Crust. Hahahaha

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
Has anyone seen the original version of Utopia? Just started it and man what a loving pilot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

First season is pretty strong but by the time season 2 finishes I was glad the show was done. It's a really pretty looking show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah s1 and the 2 premiere are great but 2 isn’t so hot overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nundizo posted:

Has anyone seen the original version of Utopia? Just started it and man what a loving pilot.

S1 slaps hard.