Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
You are CORDIALLY invited to play with me, your pal aldantefax, in BYOB the RPG!

What is a TRPG?

A TRPG, commonly called a "Tabletop RPG" or a "Table-Talk RPG" to most, is a game where you create a character who is ready to go out on adventures! Typically, these adventures are created and curated by someone called a "Game Master", which, in this case, shall be me! I'll be responsible for describing the world, taking the role of monsters and other characters you meet in your adventure, and keep the game moving so we all have a good time.

TRPGs can be played anywhere as long as you have some pals, dice, and time. Thanks to the magic of the internet, the dice part is really easy! The pals are where you come in; the time is the hardest thing of all.

Details

Who can play: Everybody! But I can only take up to 5 players at a time per session.
When is the game: I humbly but also excitedly propose a game OPEN TO ALL that happens almost every Tuesday night at 9:30 PM US Central time.
What System? Levels? OPTIONS?: To make things easy, we shall be using a highly modified version of PDQ: Prose Descriptive Qualities! This is a simple game system that allows anybody to show up and have a character ready to roll. I will make it even easier by outlining the most basic fundamentals.
What equipment do I need?: You'll need a working microphone, Discord, and a way to roll dice. You can roll your own dice, ask someone to roll for you, or use a dice program. If you have a phone, you can do just fine on Discord from your phone!

Character Creation

- Name your character! You can name them anything you like: Meatbun, Jet Li, Cornelius Whitefang, Steve, Dana, etc...
- Pick one of the jobs your character does. A list is provided below with FANCY PICTURES.
- Pick 1 thing your character is GREAT at. When you do that thing, people go "Wow!". Maybe you are just like, the go-to for when someone needs a hug. You are a GREAT hugger.
- Pick 2 things your character is PRETTY GOOD at! It's not as "wow" but people really appreciate it when you do these things. You can be pretty good at making spaghetti, and casting spells!
- Pick 1 thing that your character is embarrassed about, but is generally a good sport over. You might be a bit embarrassed about farting in public, but it happens sometimes and everybody understands, farts happen.
- Describe your character. If you have no idea how to describe them, try using this "Random General Person Generator": https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=generalperson, and select "Anime", and pick a result!

That's it! Your character is ready to roll. If you want to go the extra mile, find a cool anime picture. I like searching for stuff from Pixiv Fantasia or old-rear end animes with people that have huge shoulderpads and capes. If you want some genre specific stuff, try fantasy, medieval, fairytale, etc. or videogames with a nice art feel. If you want to go CRAZY, you can draw a character, or get someone to draw it for you!

What do you do in the game?

You are a group of Travelers who are determined to have the best darn time possible. You've said your cheery goodbyes to your friends and family in your hometown, packed your bags, and loudly declared, "HUZZAH! ADVENTURE AWAITS!"

As a result, you picked a road and just started rambling. Who knows where it will take you, and what mischief you will get into? I can't wait!

Dealing with the Troubles

Along your ramble, of course, you may find that you run into dangerous or weird things or situations with no easy answer. That's okay! Use what you know of your job and what your character's GREAT at, what they're pretty good at...maybe even what they're a little embarrassed about. Then, start throwing dice!

You will always roll at least 2d6, but sometimes you describe something so good or you get a really cool idea, and that gives you MORE DICE. Great! You want BIG NUMBERS, so get creative! Feeling stuck? Don't worry, say "Help me, friends", and maybe your friends shall help you. Here are ways to get MORE DICE:

- Loudly announce your name, and how you're here to help. "I AM BUTT THE poo poo MAN FART, AND I'M HERE TO HUG EVERY HORSE," you roar, and proceed to get huggin'. (+2 Dice! But you can only do it once per Trouble)
- Get your pals to cooperate with you! "Help me, orbs!" (+1 Dice! Work together to describe how you help each other out with the power of teamwork)
- Describe a neat solution. "The dragon probably is just mad about losing all their recorded anime, but luckily for me, I just so happen to have the entire Bluray Collection of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure that's region free...AND a Bluray player!" (+1 Dice! But be reasonable.)
- Make things spicy. "Oh, yeah, dude? Well, I know you probably are real bent out of shape over your house burning down, but what if I built you a new house out of toenails! Hello???" (+1 Dice, but this might backfire)
- Ask nicely if you haven't got any extra dice for awhile. (+1 Dice, because Dice...are :nice:)

If you need to resolve some Troubles, you must do so one bit at a time. If all Troubles (with a capital T) were so easy to resolve, then the world might be a bit happier - but also a lot more boring! Sometimes solving Troubles makes more Troubles, and that's cool.

If you roll a Big Number, sweet, you are making progress! Maybe something cool happens, the bigger the number, possibly the cooler or weirder the thing.

If you roll a Small Number, that is also progress! But you may have some unexpected results as well. Failure just means more opportunities, or maybe you do exactly what you want, just get a different result than you intended!

If you get into a fight, you may be asked to get into the DANGER EGG, but this is a secret until it is revealed.

What is the tone of this game, anyway?

You may notice this game is actually rather silly and whimsical, and you know what, that's true! This is a game intended to be a chill and fun experience for chill and fun people, and being kind to one another. Don't worry too much about 'THE RULES', just use this as an excuse to meet new pals and hang out with your pals and laugh about how those dice worked out. This is a game where maybe crazy, epic things happen but generally people are really just super enthusiastic about adventures and having a good time.

Also, you may find that this game has much weirdness, odd humor, and anime, in-jokes, and all manner of flim-flam, shenanigans, bric-a-bric, tomfoolery, and miscellany.

What if I can't make every session?

That's cool! Just show up when you can, but also, please show up on time. If you show up later, that's cool, just get someone to fill you in unless we're already full for the night.

How long is a session?

I have about enough brain power for 2 to 3 hours on a regular session. Some may be a little shorter, others may be a little longer.

I've never done this before and I'm uncomfortable!

You should know that this is intended to be very easy to drop in and drop out. There's no crazy plotlines or dark conspiracies (maybe a little dark, but not really) or the like, so you can feel free to just hang out and observe until you do feel like you want to join in.

I have been running games for...a while! I have welcomed many new people to the hobby and I am confident that we can find something that works for you. However, if you are really uncomfortable about the whole thing, that's okay too. TRPGs are a place where all manner of stories and people come together and find out more about themselves and each other. If you find something isn't going well, you can always back up or ask for a stop, fade to black, or message me in private. We're all in this to have fun together, not at other people's expense.

Alright, so what kind of character can I be?

Glad you asked, Traveler! Here is a list of all the jobs there are, which give you "Skills" - these are things that enable you to do stuff, but don't worry too much about the details. If you can heal, you can heal! If you are Robust, you are ROBUST!

NB: These are from Ryuutama, but aside from that we will not be using any of the other rules unless it looks like it might be cool and fun

Where might I Travel to?

You are in the land of Orbia, a supercontinent that has a massive sea to the east and west. Lands beyond are yet to be discovered. Dragons are everywhere, but hidden from the public eye. It's said that there are dragon-people who secretly collect stories of rambling adventurers and feed them to dragons to keep them well fed.

When we begin the game, your crew will start in one of the following countries:

You may choose to travel to a type of place. Not sure? Roll 1d6, or make something up!

- 1: A Near place, like the next town over that has some kickass donuts
- 2: A Really Far place, like one end of the continent to the other
- 3: A Exotic place, like the Golem Farms of Dorg
- 4: A Big place, like the Grand Markets of Chan
- 5: A Hidden place, like the Elfhomes of the Protectorate
- 6: A New place nobody's ever been, like Blankness in the middle of the map!

After you figure it out, play to find out what happens!

I don't actually want to play, but I want to make a character because that's cool

Cool! You can make a character and post it in here, and it will perhaps be featured in the game - I make no guarantees, though!

How long is this going to last?

Ideally I would like to run this for as long as possible. I've been running 6 to 8 other games daily since "The Thing" started last year and it just so happens I like running games since I can't go anywhere. This is a bit different of a format since this is an open table, but if it works for people, let's do it!

How can I get in touch for the game?

Go here and say hi: https://discord.gg/6v6AVjNjYK

Note: I may be asleep or busy but I will try and say hi back to you! I am happy to answer any questions here or in Discord.

Picture of a Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

hooray, i am gonna bring back Llany, the Armadillo-person who loves science

Llany is an Artisan
Llany is GREAT at Chemistry! he loves to mix substances together and note how they react and try and find out ways that it could be useful, while out and about! (note: biosterous is terrible at chemistry, all chemistry described will be hand-waved nonsense probably)
Llany is pretty good at Clothing Repair (his labcoat gets damaged a lot, due to his experiments, but he's learned how to deal with that)
Llany is also pretty good at Taking a Thumping (he is an armadillo! he can transform into a tanky orb at will)
Llany is embarrassed about his terrible penmanship. being bad at writing things down has made it hard for him to share his discoveries!

Llany is a person-sized armadillo dude! he'd probably be like 5'8 if he was able to stand up straight, but his armadillo-back means he's always hunched over and looks more like 5'4. he's got little pince-nez spectacles (that, miraculously, never seem to get damaged) and a very-tattered and many-times-patched labcoat. all armadillo-qualities are purely aesthetic and have no gameplay effects.

basically picture this pangolin, but big, wearing glasses and a labcoat, and also it's an armadillo instead of a pangolin:

(Llany doesn't care if you pronounce his name "lanny" or "yanny", he's fine with both)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

My name is Straw, and I am a healer.

I am GREAT at religion, I pray all day every day and do not worry about how or why things happen- my God does the understanding for me! And God definitely heals people with God magic for me, I've seen it lots of times.

I am PRETTY GOOD at farming and related tasks (carrying, milling, selling, driving beasts of burden, etc). Which is good since it's my entire livelihood.

I am EMBARRASSED that I couldn't cut it in the priesthood when I was a young man, so now I'm just an ordinary citizen farmer with really strong beliefs. The grass grows because God. If the grass doesn't grow, God must be angry with us!

Straw is an enormous, rotund but muscular middle-aged man, balding but with a long black beard he often strokes with a low thoughtful "HMMMMMMMMMMMMM". As his name suggests he mostly farms grasses and some grains, so he is often in overalls, but he also has some very fine silk robes with religious patterns on them, for going to town.

Sig by Heather Papps

Unsinkabear

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

This looks terrific. Can people who aren't playing still tune in on Tuesdays?

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Unsinkabear posted:

This looks terrific. Can people who aren't playing still tune in on Tuesdays?

Yes! Just hang out in that Discord in the OP and I'll give a holler.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I already play dnd on Tuesday nights so I'm weeping in despair. But if it's alright I'll whip up a character and maybe they can show up as an NPC at some point?

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

How Wonderful! posted:

I already play dnd on Tuesday nights so I'm weeping in despair. But if it's alright I'll whip up a character and maybe they can show up as an NPC at some point?

Absolutely! And, if it turns out you are free, then please stop on by and say hello. Make away! :)

Heather Papps

hello friend

gonna do some character brainstorming and microphone hunting!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Here is Crudmilla Dogsnack, the Ace of Paupers, a street orphan and a peerless prodigy of urchin-craft. Some say she's blessed by the sacred Ratking, the squirmy omphalos and demiurge of the sewers, the god who furtively watches over and safeguards all who beg, scrounge, or otherwise eke out survival beneath the notice of the city's well-off.

Her job is an Artisan, a true aesthete of the wheedle and the grift. What she's great at is getting what she asks for. If she asks a passing worker for his tasty pork sandwich, she'll get it. If she needs a new pair of shoes or a spare cot for the night, you'll find yourself obliging before you even realize you've said yes. Where'd she get that crown, anyway?

She's pretty good at finding short-cuts and hiding places in big cities, and also keeping an ear to the ground for rumors and gossip.

She's embarrassed by her inability to hold onto the things she gets. She might get a bite or two of that ham sandwich, but she's sure to hand it off to the next hungry looking sucker she happens across. If you give her a gold piece, she might be able to spend part of it a couple pieces of taffy before paying it forward almost begrudgingly. As for those rumors and secrets, forget about it. She can't hold on to that stuff to save her life.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
yo this sounds rad

thanks Manifisto!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
This is lovely! Crudmilla Dogsnack will almost certainly be found skulking about in the places you least expect her (and most expect her). Thank you so much for your character!

We are still looking for players before we get the first session scheduled, we have TWO so far and possibly a THIRD via Heather Papps.

Because it was a question for Straw (BoldFrankensteinMir) let's talk very quickly about Religion and Magics in the world. (Note: this may not be very quick)

Religion is mostly animistic in tradition - there are many, perhaps infinitely, little gods that are in everything and everyone, but there are primordial Elemental Spirits which have granted things their divine spark.

• Wisp, the Elemental of Light
  • Dryad, the Elemental of Wood
  • Jinn, the Elemental of Wind
  • Salamander, the Elemental of Fire
  • Shade, the Elemental of Darkness
  • Luna, the Elemental of the Moon
  • Gnome, the Elemental of Earth
  • Undine, the Elemental of Water

These Elemental Spirits were born from the Great Mother of the World, Gaea, who rests in the roots of the world with the World Dragons.

The deity which Straw may worship may be a child of the Elemental Spirits of Dryad and Gnome, or perhaps he may worship one of the two directly. Everybody worships every spirit, but not everybody receives the magic healing powers that Straw has! That's why when people see him do his thing, they are definitely wowed.

In the case of Crudmilla, the Ratking who may grant her benedictions is likely a descendent of Shade, perhaps once a pet rat who was given a magic crown. An Elemental Spirit, after all, does not need to have a partner to have a child, they can do as they please!

About World Dragons

The World Dragons are the stewards of the land that grow over countless millennia. They are the faithful servants of Gaea and the Elemental Spirits, and they survive off of the Grand World Energy, and grow in size and power through being fed stories with the Spirit of Adventure. There are three major types of World Dragons:

• Seasonal Dragons, the four most powerful dragons which ensure that the four seasons happen on schedule. They are supported by twenty-four micro-seasonal dragons! To meet one of the Big Four means you shall be destined for great adventures, and to meet the other twenty-four is a sign of good things to come, indeed.
  • Terrain Dragons, which are landscapers. They are responsible for the breathtaking vistas and profound expanses that are common to the lands of Orbia. There are many of them, and it is usually considered good luck if you meet one, but also it might mean signs of great change to the land are coming, for they are very private in their work and do not wish to be disturbed by the ramblings of mortals.
  • Weather Dragons, which are responsible for distributing and redistributing the Grand World Energy based on the seasons. They are mercurial, playful, mischievous, and are generally what you think of when you're in a certain kind of weather. For example, Sun dragons are very cheerful and warm! Cloud dragons are very thoughtful and aloof and easily distracted. Rain dragons prefer to keep to themselves and are rather shy and delicate. And so on...

About Magics

All of the Elemental Spirits and World Dragons survive and maintain the balance of the world thanks to the Grand World Energy, a byproduct of which is the special stuff that people refer to as magic. All sorts of people have figured out how to harness magic in different ways, which leads to great works, and small miracles. It can be found in the most unexpected of places!

To use magic, one need only harness the power of the Grand World Energy in the ways that they know how. Usually, it requires at least a little bit of training, but even a child in their gap-toothed laughter and merriment can cast a tiny spell!

In some places, the Grand World Energy is rather weak. Magic effects are hard to come by here. People who live in these places use Technology as a way to support their everyday lives.

In other places, Grand World Energy is very strong. Magic is amplified and sometimes has wonderful and terrifying effects!

About the Spirit of Adventure and Ryuujin, the Dragonkin

In order for there to be magic, there must be the Elemental Spirits and World Dragons, and in order to nourish the World Dragons, there must be stories harvested from rambling adventurers. A race of ancient beings secretly watches over adventurers as they ramble about doing all manner of things, writing in their special books that capture the Spirit of Adventure. These books are then used to read to all dragons, young and old, and the stories let them grow and mature in mind and body.

A Dragonkin, or Ryuujin, as they tend to call themselves, are mostly neutral folk that stay out of the common eye. They have angelic wings and hints of draconic features such as horns and the like, but can take the guise of a normal human. If they need to in an emergency, they can use a special power to them, Reveil, which allows them to adopt their true form of Dragonkind. This is rare, but happens most often with rambling adventurers to help them out of a pinch when dealing with the Troubles.

It's said that if a Dragonkin follows the party, the kind of person they are influences the types of things that adventurers will face. They are usually categorized by their color, and each bears a book which details the types of stories they collect:

• Azure Blue, the Bearer of Heartwarming Encounters
  • Verdurous Green, the Bearer of Grand Journeys
  • Crimson Red, the Bearer of Legendary Conflicts
  • Pure Black, the Bearer of Shadowy Intrigue

Each of these dragonkin have their own attitudes and sense of humor, but above all, they all seek fun adventures. Adventures which end in ramblers crying bitter tears and returning home feeling horrible are anathema! Thus, they will make sure to support the adventurers however they can. They can provide direct support occasionally through the Reveil, but they can also perform certain special effects a limited amount of times per adventure. You'll have to find out what those are!

Meta-Notes: This is basically Ryuutama

For anybody interested in where these ideas are coming from, they come from an old but beautifully illustrated game called Ryuutama, published originally in Japanese and localized in English. If you're interested in a copy, you should check out the official site in English: http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/

The world was created using Azgaar's Fantasy Map Generator: https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/

The Elemental Spirits come from the Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) series: https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Mana_Spirits

The interpretations of all the above into whatever amalgamation this is, is from me, and y'all!

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 13, 2021

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay i'm going to be a FARMER and the extra skill will be weapon grace. think shepherd who spent way too long pretending sticks were spears, and got really really good at splitting wood, etc.

GREAT: throwing rocks or similarly sized small objects at targets

PRETTY GOOD: jumping, carrying things

EMBARRASSED: genuinely unsettled and frightened by/of bugs

name/character history and motivation i need to think some more about, but the character i play is almost always informed by my build and now that i've picked things it should be simple

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Sounds good! I look forward to hearing more about FARMER soon!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Oh whoops, I didn't even see that farmer is a whole class, maybe I need a different thing to be good-not-great at. I could just be FARMER's hired hand and my two good-ats are cooking and, maybe, handle animal?

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Heather Papps posted:

okay i'm going to be a FARMER and the extra skill will be weapon grace. think shepherd who spent way too long pretending sticks were spears, and got really really good at splitting wood, etc.

GREAT: throwing rocks or similarly sized small objects at targets

PRETTY GOOD: jumping, carrying things

EMBARRASSED: genuinely unsettled and frightened by/of bugs

name/character history and motivation i need to think some more about, but the character i play is almost always informed by my build and now that i've picked things it should be simple

also as a FARMER you get a cool sidekick from being an animal owner (but animals really owned? the matter is debatable, since they choose to hang out with you). You can have a COOL DOG, a WITTY CAT, or maybe something else??

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Oh whoops, I didn't even see that farmer is a whole class, maybe I need a different thing to be good-not-great at. I could just be FARMER's hired hand and my two good-ats are cooking and, maybe, handle animal?

these are good! thank you for your consideration!

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Dojima is a Farmer and is never without his animal companion Goro the dog.
Dojima is GREAT at smoking weed. When he's stoned he's even better at the stuff he's pretty good at.
Dojima is PRETTY GOOD at cooking and at detectiving. He takes great pleasure in cooking nourishing meals for himself and for others. He's also a bit of a sleuth, with Goro's help.
Dojima is EMBARASSED that he's often quite forgetful from all the weed he smokes.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm a shopkeeper, but I only sell turnips and +1 magical plate armor.

Unsinkabear

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Buttchocks posted:

and the plate armor can only be purchased with turnips

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Buttchocks posted:

you may also roll 1d6 for special turnips, once per week:

- 1: turnip of longing, when you eat it, you become longer in some aspect
- 2: turnip of shortening, you may chop it up and use it in a baked goods recipe
- 3: turnip of elucidation, you may throw it in order to get exposition on the first thing it hits (1 throw per turnip)
- 4: turnip of medulla obscura, you may blend it into a drink or squeeze it into one if you are STRONG, it doesn't taste very good but it will reveal to you your subconscious thoughts for one minute
- 5: turnip of melon collie: when gazed upon for an hour, temporarily turns you into a dog who can eat melons. you like canteloupe especially
- 6: turnip of mystery: nobody knows what this turnip does or how to use it. it's said that there is a mysterious flute ditty that plays every time you pick one up from a treasure chest. nobody knows where the sound comes from either

your plate armor is renowned throughout the land. you may roll 1d6 to determine its legacy:

- 1: tony hawk
- 2: prince (the performing artist formerly known as)
- 3: king arthur (one of the anime versions of him or some other such representation)
- 4: your future or past self
- 5: a humble gongfarmer
- 6: satan

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

I am Myrtle Anuran, practicing witch, clearly. Can't you see the hat? My distinctly sorcerous nature? What do you mean, you can't be a witch if someone can pick you up and throw you without much effort? I'll turn you into a mushroom for that!

You want to hear more? Well, I'm a minstrel, a walking encyclopedia of all the important things to know, and most things that aren't. The only thing I don't know is how to stop being a frog and start being a proper human-y witch, like the lady who I used to work with.. until we had that little argument, you know how it goes, and I decided I'd be better off working on my own. I hear that the seasonal dragons of all sorts know more about change and one thing becoming another than most creatures, so hopefully I'll be able to find one and ask it all the important questions. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

But I need to have a group to travel with so I don't get eaten by a passing hawk or picked up by some random schoolboy who's all 'oooooh a talking frog, gonna show all off to all me best mates' or however it goes, so here are my qualifications: I'm really good at remembering all the important things about magic and nature, pretty good at magic - I learned a lot while I was working as that lady's familiar - er, I mean working as that lady's consultant. I'm also pretty good at looking innocent and adorable. People just go nuts for a frog in a witch hat sometimes.

But of course, I'm just a frog, even if I'm an exceptionally clever and talented once, and I'm embarrassed that I'm tiny and not a proper human witch. But I'll do something about that! Just you wait.

addendum: how common are masterless familiars?: It doesn't happen often that a familiar and its master choose to part ways, as most familiars are perfectly content to assist and serve the person that bestowed intelligence and magic upon them. It's not impossible, though! Most choose to go back to the life they led before they were chosen as familiars. Ever had to deal with a cat that was a little too good at getting on your nerves and figuring out just the right time to push over your favorite vase? There's a chance that you might not be imagining that, and they're actually a highly-intelligent former familiar! Some, like Myrtle, choose to travel instead, something that's a bit of a rarity but not completely unknown.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 14, 2021

Horrible Butts
I haven't played many trpgs but I think they are cool. Here's a character who can join when there's space! I'm also glad to listen that sounds real nice.

Name: Pleat Candelabra
Job: Minstrel
Great at: Writing short, useful poems. Pleat's most popular work is a little poem that helps novice gardeners remember which bugs are helpful, harmless, or bad news.
Pretty good at: Gathering a crowd. Pleat spent many years singing for their supper and knows how to pump up a jam.
Also pretty good at: Identifying animals. Pleat went through a phase where they tried to write a poem for every animal on Orbia.
Embarrassed by: Easily overwhelmed. Pleat weeps at the sight of beauty, sobs when they hear a sad story, laughs long and loud at farts... it can be a bit much and Pleat gets that.

Pleat Candelabra is a poet of the sky, the sea, the soil, and the soul.
They're boisterous! Ghost of Christmas Present vibes.
Pleat is older but still loves to venture off the homestead when they can.
They look like Walt Whitman with anime eyes.

https://giant.gfycat.com/sillyremorsefuldipper.webm
Thank you Prof. Crocodile for the fun festive winter sig!
Arcane gob born of Khanstant's goblin gumball machine!

biosterous

gallery of sigs

he/him

Horrible Butts

Heather Papps

hello friend

aldantefax posted:

also as a FARMER you get a cool sidekick from being an animal owner (but animals really owned? the matter is debatable, since they choose to hang out with you). You can have a COOL DOG, a WITTY CAT, or maybe something else??

alrighty, i shall be "dirt gord," a farmboy who never wanted anything more in life. just loved shoveling poo poo and raising crops and tending animals, until having slightly too much to drink at a barnraising. in an attempt to be polite he vomited into what he thought was just a normal bucket that actually contained a visiting noblemans caviar and was banished from the family farm until he could pay an extremely steep fee to said nobledude. so dirt gord packs up some supplies, calls for his goat "milk sally", and sets off, dreaming of the day he can return to his simple life.

Heather Papps

hello friend

also were you thinking of starting tomorrow or tuesday afterwards? i have yet to find my mic/headset but i WILL

Leraika

Tuesday afterwards, because of the blizzarding set to take place this week iirc

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
yeah, yeah, and yeah!!!

Seems good, dirt gord, I will root for u and Milk Sally

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Just an update for anybody who is like "wasn't this thing supposed to happen already lol", you may have heard that there is a little bit of weather happening in Texas, where my brain currently resides (my spirit remains with everybody and everything in the internet though). Currently my brain is operating on emergency power and so hopefully we'll try to get the game up and running on Tuesday, March 2 @ 9:30 PM US Central time. Thanks everybody for your patience!

Also, I have put a series of adventure prompts up for people to debate over what might be good. These can be self-contained adventures or can be combined to create a super-adventure.

If anybody has any ideas or would like to do some freewheel writing on these things, then go ahead, otherwise I will take some of these based on player and thread response and kludge something together. Hope everybody is doing well!

Heather Papps

hello friend

a ducks dilemma is appealing. bread or bugs? quack or QUACK. so many choices.

also stay cozy aldantefax. this is the age of infinite surprise i hope a meteor doesn't come or something.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

it's happening!

Horrible Butts
That was so fun!
Tonight Pleat enjoyed some fried chicken, looted a noisemaker magic wand off a paperwork golem, and wrote a short poem about some shocking revelations...

Beware! Beware the Mega Circus!
It harbors a dark and demonic purpose!
In other words, it's come here to hurt us!
So beware! Beware the Mega Circus!

Very nice to play a dnd with y'all.

Horrible Butts fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 3, 2021

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
thanks for playing! we shall continue next week with the story of "The Megacircus and Sleepy Town", stay tuned!

biosterous

it was lots of fun! here are the things llany wrote down in his notebook:

code:
llany's important notes!
- sidequest: corndogs for granny?
- sidequest: eustace the rainbow goat, say hi from granny
- fill out 1, 5, 7, 9, do not fill out others yet. not 3! not 4!
- keep having fun!! or else a demon will turn you into cotton candy
- root beer! sweetness + purity = magic power! too much is explosive
-- ask farm pals about good roots for good root beer

llany's list of stuff:
- various booze from DRINKZ pub
- 1/2 of prof pibb's secret recipes, vol 77!

llany's experiment logs:
- being a ball near a megacircus means instant acrobatics! fun!

gallery of sigs

he/him

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hey everybody! We are ON for this Tuesday! If you are interested, here is a brief lore post about Megacircuses (there are multiple):

Nobody knows when the first Megacircus came into being in Orbia, or perhaps it was always there as a kind of constant reminder that jubilations are always one Megacircus away. They grow in size like the warbands of old, or perhaps the crashing waves, but instead they bring festivities in untold panoply. Food most decadent, drinks ever-sweet, and entertainment aplenty.

Each Megacircus is said to swell in size and inexorably be drawn over the course of years of endless revelry to another Megacircus, resulting in a sobering of both Megacircuses. The following outcomes have been recorded (roll 1d6 to determine the last Megacircus fate you can uncover):

1-2: Dispersion. Both Megacircuses collide and the sheer amount of enjoyment causes them to break apart like two waves crashing into each other.
3: Amalgamation. Two Megacircuses become one. If they are of sufficient size, a Gigacircus may be formed.
4: Apotheosis. The Megacircuses ascend to a plane of higher existence than the Prime Material, all of the participants becoming enraptured and uplifted to the Celestial Heavens as little gods of the Jubilee.
5: Confluence. Though it appears they meet, the Megacircuses converge but still remain separate. They will eventually separate as each Megacircus moves through one another, possibly causing an exchange in Megacircus ideas.
6: Subdivision. Each Megacircus creates smaller Megacircuses, which then trundle off immediately (on a geological timescale or faster) to go revel elsewhere.

There are generally as many consequences to an eternal roaming party like the Megacircus, but some have figured out ways to become self-sustaining. Cotton candy can be used as both a food source but also as a durable supply to repair broken wagon axles and circus rides, as an example. The Ringleader is more a conductor, and they hold great (but not all) the power in a Megacircus. Large amounts of detritus and building debris is often found in the wake of a Megacircus, which can leave a trail miles-wide of discarded popcorn bags, ruined buildings which could not move in time, and passed out party people.

---

I don't have a picture of what a Megacircus looks like, but Goatman, the bipedal goat that wears a dapper vest and hat, is leading the Megacircus that the crew has rambled into this time! What will happen next?

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh yeah i remember hearing about the

quote:

Apotheosis. The Megacircuses ascend to a plane of higher existence than the Prime Material, all of the participants becoming enraptured and uplifted to the Celestial Heavens as little gods of the Jubilee.

i'm pretty sure i have an aunt who prays to a clown

Leraika

LAST TIME, ON ORBIA:

Following the defeat of the dreaded Paperwork Golem by our heroes, they discovered among the scattered forms a small frog wearing a slightly too large hat. This was "famous" frog witch Myrtle Anuran, who had decided that a creature made entirely out of paper would have all sorts of neat things to learn about. Too bad for her paperwork is boring and also sucks! She latches onto the group because she assumes they're cool heroes and she wants to be a cool hero/omnipotent witch/general asskicker as well, and they're either too nice or too stoned to dissuade her. The other thing retrieved from the paperwork golem is a bell, which the megacircus's cook, Cook, recognizes as belonging to the megacircus's fortuneteller-in-residence. Sounds like a new quest for our heroes! After being treated to the fair food of their choice (corndogs for most, french flies for Myrtle) and given special cookies (special property: super tasty) by Cook, they set off again. After a brief interlude involving getting a lazy troll to move out of our way by means of bribing him with weed and an ongoing interlude in which Llany assists with pyrotechnics, messes it up, and is charged with getting more cotton candy to replace the spent firework components, they visit the fortuneteller, return the bell, are rewarded with a sweet-rear end sentient flying pillow for Myrtle to travel around on in style, a brick of Super Weed™️, and enlightenment as to the true nature of cotton candy (people who stop having fun at the megacircus get turned into it), they're off to the cotton candy factory to hopefully find the good poo poo without becoming the good poo poo.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Different kinds of trolls you might find at the Megacircus:

1: Blue troll. Generally tends to sleep for a long time. Known to eat people in their sleep but mostly by accident. Sometimes blocks the path, unless you give them some kind bud.
2: Red troll. Often mistaken for an oni because of their skin, they are rather indignant about it. The horns and ferocious gaze as well as tiger-striped loin cloth and heavy spiked iron club likely does not help getting the two races mixed up.
3: Purple troll. Pretty good at doing business, they helped defined the whole bridge economy several aeons ago. It's said they were once green, but made Dionysus angry so he turned them purple grape-colored instead.
4: Yellow troll. Loves eating seitan and other vegan foods.
5: Mind troll. Carries around a pen and paper and often recites from the Book of Mad Disses. Likes to get people riled up by gaslighting them, kind of rude but means well.
6: Troll troll. Actually two or more trolls in one, roll twice above. If you get the same result, it means they are a double-version of that kind of troll. Nobody knows what that means.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
the gang is en route to the cotton candy factory and mr bones' wild ride, but they have to get there -- FAST -- or else they'll miss the Big Show with the Pyrotechnic Goblins.

as a result the group rallied back at their favorite restaurant in Sleepytown, "DRINKZ", and gave the Granny there a corndog, leveling her up to Golden Granny, and then after a crafty call to the Zorb Tournament Office, ended up setting up a Double Extreme Elimination Battle Royale Zorb Tournament, which they won after shooting an overcharged beer cannon now responsible for BEER LAKE off in the distance

the players may have other notes on this session, but we'll see everybody next time...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

milk sally is wearing a white zorbin' outfit. this is vital.