Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Instead of trying Andromeda, play Greedfall, which is dumb and janky but also has personality and charm

a bit o' poison on me blade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think Andromeda was bad on its own merits and if you disagree with me I will call the police

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
What is it about? All i know it is a Colonial America RPG... or at least thats what the trailers looked like?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sally posted:

What is it about? All i know it is a Colonial America RPG... or at least thats what the trailers looked like?

lots of opinions on both. someone quoted a 2 1/2 hour review of the game at me when I asked if it was fun, so it's definitely brought up strong feelings in different ways.

Spiders RPGs are usually pretty jank with bland areas but have just enough weirdness going on they are enjoyable from start to finish. I wouldn't pay more then $20 though.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Andromeda had some cool over-arching sci-fi premises that would have worked well in something with better baseline storytelling. The idea of sending generation ships to colonize "golden worlds," only to find out that those worlds were only golden because they were built with crazy terraforming tech, and in the ensuing centuries something went wrong with the tech and turned those worlds into hellworlds, is pretty cool. It's a big ancient artifact mystery.

Also the concept of an evil space-empire that actually reproduces and mans itself by genetically altering the people who they conquer could be cool, although in execution the Kett kind of sucked.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sally posted:

The player character is against Doing Colonialism, but yeah it's like "early days of America's discovery but with monsters and magic"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the kett could have been ok if there was any ambiguity or nuance to them. like when you have your first firefight with them I was like "poo poo...I really hosed up first contact there". Could have been some interesting stuff if you struggle with communicating the whole game and it's unclear if one or both of you was in the wrong and if there is a way you can figure out how to peacefully coexist. But nah - they're just one dimensional evil dudes you have to blow up

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
To paraphrase Nirvana's paraphrase of The Berenstein Bears:

"It's okay to shoot Kett, because they don't have any feelings"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

pentyne posted:

lots of opinions on both. someone quoted a 2 1/2 hour review of the game at me when I asked if it was fun, so it's definitely brought up strong feelings in different ways.

Spiders RPGs are usually pretty jank with bland areas but have just enough weirdness going on they are enjoyable from start to finish. I wouldn't pay more then $20 though.

As far as Spiders RPGs are concerned Greedfall is probably the best. It's a huge improvement over Technomancer at least.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sally posted:

hard disagree. if we lived i a world where Mass Effect didnt exist and Andromeda was the first release, people wouldve thought it pretty decent.

but it wasn't. there's ME 1-3 and they are all varying degrees of cool and good. against those they are aggressively mediocre. but if it was the first? it'd been likely recieved as a flawed but solid first entry to a series that wouldve likely gotten a proper trilogy treatment. but to iterate from ME 1-3 to ME:A? yeah, big oof there Bioware.

that's all i was trying to suggest

but this is all hypothetical wheel spinning and opinions of relative mediocrity are silly to quibble over so who gives a poo poo we are both wasting our time.

I more or less agree with this. I think there’s a lot of good in Andromeda. I’d even say more good than bad. It’s definitely not as good as the original trilogy, but there’s a lot of good ideas that I’d like to see explored further.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Once you get the mako and can actually explore with your jetpack i thought andromeda was surprisingly okay, but the first four or five hours are so painfully, horribly bad that their painful, horrible badness cannot be understated.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

andromeda was a total pile of poo poo top to bottom, start to finish, and was extremely deserving of its award for worst game of 2017 from giant bomb dot com

yeah. the game is a weird cascading failure outside combat/gunplay. the issue is the encounters are suck rear end. like its all the bad poo poo from the level design poo poo from DA:I shoved in a mediocre story that could have great ideas but doesn't commit to poo poo. the quests are mostly search stuff. the voice acting is a loving coin toss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDit1WO12fs

also the female krogan voice is the worst. like other lady krogans sound fine but holy gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sally posted:

nah. the whole game is a giant mess that half commits to its ideas but wusses out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7fikwiMDs

if you have 2 hours and want to listen to some guy pick it apart in an interesting way. do this.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The female krogan sounds like someone doing an impersonation of a stereotypical gay man so yeah it's pretty fuckin yikes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

The female krogan sounds like someone doing an impersonation of a stereotypical gay man so yeah it's pretty fuckin yikes

yeah. i was going to say like you can do deepish women voices and anything you want but last thing i think of when i think krogan is some camp gay voice. like couldnt you give that another pass or less lisp, jesus.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sally posted:

or maybe i misunderstand? i dont get what youre saying.

Sorry my bad, I did a lot of weed this weekend. I personally think Andromeda sucked out loud pretty drat hard and even without better Mass Effects to judge against it was garbage. I only managed one playthrough, and despite it being the only "current gen" Mass Effect I can play, I couldn't even stomach a gender-swapped run to try full Renegade or whatever. It's just poo poo. The sad thing is the gameplay is fine but I've never played Mass Effect for the gameplay other than maybe ME3 multiplayer.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Right, the actual engine and general gameplay feel are perfectly cromulent. Graphics are very nice sometimes, the planets look gorgeous.

But... the writing is agonizingly generic and boring, the encounter design is somehow worse than in Dragon Age 2, and the actual "gamefeel" is wrecked because there are times when you'll spend 2 or 3 hours just running back and forth with no combat, no choices, no real anything happening.

I've always said that the biggest reason I think ME2 is regarded so ludicrously highly, despite being a sequel to a mediocre jank fest and prequel to a wet fart, is because the actual act of playing it is so well done.

I've replayed ME2 like 15 times. There are less than 20 games I've replayed even once. And I truly believe the biggest reason is that ME2 goes like this

You boot it up, you load your save, you pick a mission, you go do that mission and you get to shoot and talk a bit and then you're done with it forever.

You never have to worry about going back to look for stupid collectibles. You literally can't return to mission areas! You never have to spend 45 minutes crafting or looking for better gear. There's like 7 guns in the entire game and it's awesome!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Right, the actual engine and general gameplay feel are perfectly cromulent. Graphics are very nice sometimes, the planets look gorgeous.

But... the writing is agonizingly generic and boring, the encounter design is somehow worse than in Dragon Age 2, and the actual "gamefeel" is wrecked because there are times when you'll spend 2 or 3 hours just running back and forth with no combat, no choices, no real anything happening.

yeah DA2 was weird and kinda bad with encounters and the choice dynamics but it was something sorta different unlike ME:A. DA2 has a much smaller story and it deals with a ton of different themes and how the city sorta changes through out 10 years and how its basicaly tearing itself apart and poo poo and how people are making the same mistakes over and over again. like yeah its kinda bad but i will take interesting but bad over boring and mediocare.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Simone Magus posted:

I've always said that the biggest reason I think ME2 is regarded so ludicrously highly, despite being a sequel to a mediocre jank fest and prequel to a wet fart, is because the actual act of playing it is so well done.

I've replayed ME2 like 15 times. There are less than 20 games I've replayed even once. And I truly believe the biggest reason is that ME2 goes like this

You boot it up, you load your save, you pick a mission, you go do that mission and you get to shoot and talk a bit and then you're done with it forever.

You never have to worry about going back to look for stupid collectibles. You literally can't return to mission areas! You never have to spend 45 minutes crafting or looking for better gear. There's like 7 guns in the entire game and it's awesome!

I agree with almost all of this but me1 was not mediocre, don’t besmirch my baby like this. Don’t do this to me

Jank fest, yes obviously but cmon. Even if you think the gameplay is total dogshit which is a valid opinion to have albeit one I don’t share but the story, music, visual style, idiotic side plots.....cmon

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah. the whole game is a giant mess that half commits to its ideas but wusses out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7fikwiMDs

if you have 2 hours and want to listen to some guy pick it apart in an interesting way. do this.

ok

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Doctor Nutt posted:

Sorry my bad, I did a lot of weed this weekend. I personally think Andromeda sucked out loud pretty drat hard and even without better Mass Effects to judge against it was garbage. I only managed one playthrough, and despite it being the only "current gen" Mass Effect I can play, I couldn't even stomach a gender-swapped run to try full Renegade or whatever. It's just poo poo. The sad thing is the gameplay is fine but I've never played Mass Effect for the gameplay other than maybe ME3 multiplayer.

all good. ironically i found ME:A a good game to get super baked to and just gently caress around in for hours last sunmer. but i got it on sale and had zero expectations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i mean it. dudes an interesting critic and he talks about various janky games and how some a really interesting and good despite flaws and others are awful.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i meant it too :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sally posted:

i meant it too :shrug:

sorry.

Sally posted:

all good. ironically i found ME:A a good game to get super baked to and just gently caress around in for hours last sunmer. but i got it on sale and had zero expectations.

yeah its a solid "gently caress it time for a podcast/audio book" type game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
sorry, i mean that i meant "ok" in that i am currently listening to the video while doing chores. online text as a medium not good for communication and all that haha

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^poo poo we are both sorry ahhh:shepface:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sally posted:

^^^poo poo we are both sorry ahhh:shepface:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/02/15/how-mass-effect-legendary-edition-makes-boss-fights-more-effective

sounds like the might have made the boss fights in 1 suck less poo poo. also i assume part of the fix is just modernizing the controls of ME1 because i remember the console layout was awful.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sally posted:

hard disagree. if we lived i a world where Mass Effect didnt exist and Andromeda was the first release, people wouldve thought it pretty decent.

but it wasn't. there's ME 1-3 and they are all varying degrees of cool and good. against those they are aggressively mediocre. but if it was the first? it'd been likely recieved as a flawed but solid first entry to a series that wouldve likely gotten a proper trilogy treatment. but to iterate from ME 1-3 to ME:A? yeah, big oof there Bioware.

that's all i was trying to suggest

but this is all hypothetical wheel spinning and opinions of relative mediocrity are silly to quibble over so who gives a poo poo we are both wasting our time.

Mass Effect 1 was in the shadow of KOTOR. You know, that really well received Star Wars RPG that got rave reviews and had people shouting how it was really like being in a Star Wars movie. So Mass Effect 1 was an original IP which had to work out every single story and design element of the universe vs one of the most popular universe ever made with some of the most iconic designs in science fiction. And the fact Mass Effect 1 got out of that shadow proves being under a shadow is not some insurmountable thing. Everything is released under some sort of shadow.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yah, friend, i know! i made my point with full knowledge of that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
like i know people love to poo poo on ME:A and if you do then more power to you, I guess. but i enjoyed it well enough and thought there were enough good ideas that if it were the first entry in a new IP it wouldve been fairly well received as a flawed game with potential.

but it wasnt the first game. it was the fourth. and going from ME 1-3 to ME:A is like video game whiplash.

dunno how many different ways i can say this...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is the remaster going to put me2 or 3 mechanics into 1? Cause that would be super worth it imo. I love the vibe and story of 1, but finding three copies assault rifle v3 in a crashed space probe from Earth that I immediately turn to Omni gel cause I'm carrying v6, I could use not having that. Loot is dumb and me1 loot was dumb even by loot standards.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Andromeda is more fun if you interpret the whole project as a completely mismanaged theranos style start up disaster and all of the people who signed on being failsons /faildaughters, grifters, and the general idiots of society who would sign up for a colonization program that’s run like the worst Silicon Valley company.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Zikan posted:

Andromeda is more fun if you interpret the whole project as a completely mismanaged theranos style start up disaster and all of the people who signed on being failsons /faildaughters, grifters, and the general idiots of society who would sign up for a colonization program that’s run like the worst Silicon Valley company.

I thought you were describing making the game at first.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You in fact do NOT "have to hand it" to mass effect Andromeda

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Andromeda had the best gameplay in the entire series, though that's not saying much.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
modding a machine gun to fire grenades is kind of cool but they hosed up the omni tool punch which is a Significant Minus.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
There's at least one thing that I'll never forgive ME:A for, and that's the lovely 3 active skill limit. Where's my 8 skill limit from the first Mass Effect?!?

Did any modders ever figure out how to break that? It's one of the major reasons why I never played ME:A much past a few hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Extortionist posted:

Andromeda had the best gameplay in the entire series, though that's not saying much.

No.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Andromeda did have amazing movement and combat, I'd love for every Mass Effect to just copy that from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ambaire posted:

There's at least one thing that I'll never forgive ME:A for, and that's the lovely 3 active skill limit. Where's my 8 skill limit from the first Mass Effect?!?

Did any modders ever figure out how to break that? It's one of the major reasons why I never played ME:A much past a few hours.

Yeah im playing Andromeda again and this still really bothers me, thankfully respecs are cheap but boy do they reward specialization in this system