Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
True best part about Cuban boxes is that they increase in value the longer you keep them. It seemed to be every year on a box carried a 5-10% premium depending on what it was (after the first year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ophidian posted:

True best part about Cuban boxes is that they increase in value the longer you keep them. It seemed to be every year on a box carried a 5-10% premium depending on what it was (after the first year).

We have not tried any Cubans yet because I'm reluctant to roll the dice with my cigar money when I know that if I spend the same money in Nicaraguan stuff it's all but assured to be great right away. I know box dates and resting your sticks becomes really important with Cubans, but that's the extent of my knowledge so any guidance RE: Cubans is greatly appreciated.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Do you have a PerfecDraw yet? If not you should get one ASAP. It's saved so many cigars for me, and as NFM mentioned upthread Cubans suffer some serious QA issues due to how far demand exceeds supply, so having something to loosen up an over-packed cigar is crucial. And it's not just for Cubans! It's saved countless new world cigars for me as well.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Do you have a PerfecDraw yet? If not you should get one ASAP. It's saved so many cigars for me, and as NFM mentioned upthread Cubans suffer some serious QA issues due to how far demand exceeds supply, so having something to loosen up an over-packed cigar is crucial. And it's not just for Cubans! It's saved countless new world cigars for me as well.

Nexein bought the both of us cigarpoons cause he's a good pal like that. Not sure which model (might actually be PerfecDraw?) It definitely has saved a few sticks, but with what I smoke I only need it maybe one out of every 50 I smoke, if that. I don't like it for nubbin' sticks because the metal heats up and I can taste it- I use toothpicks for that on the rare occasion it's warranted.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

We have not tried any Cubans yet because I'm reluctant to roll the dice with my cigar money when I know that if I spend the same money in Nicaraguan stuff it's all but assured to be great right away. I know box dates and resting your sticks becomes really important with Cubans, but that's the extent of my knowledge so any guidance RE: Cubans is greatly appreciated.

I've got some good starter info quoted in the OP ♥️

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

NewFatMike posted:

As a matter of course I like to freeze my Cubans a day or three before putting them in the humidor juuuuuust in case because they don't have cellophane. Which is, IMO, a good thing.

Yeah, I try and freeze all of mine as well, this happened with a box that I mistakenly missed, that and last summer there was a point when the temp in the humidor was to high....

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Gramps posted:

The quote in the OP is great, I would try a few of the different brands to see if there are any you like more than others....the tobacco blends and aging can have a tremendous effect on the taste. What do you currently smoke? Strong / Mild?......

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahaha, my spouse loves the Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero, so we're putting some of the budget towards that instead of the Shadow Kings. They'll have their chance in the sun one day!

Gonna be a big haul off Cigar Auctioneer this/next week. They have some favorites up and they're going to be a great way to celebrate the accomplishments of this week, which will have been changing banks, finishing the living room, and finishing my office.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

zuffenphile posted:

The quote in the OP is great, I would try a few of the different brands to see if there are any you like more than others....the tobacco blends and aging can have a tremendous effect on the taste. What do you currently smoke? Strong / Mild?......

Yeah that OP is awesome I appreciate the heads up.

I smoke drat near everything I can get my hands on, and if it's a good example of the style I'll enjoy it for what it is. I tend to like Nicaraguan stuff the most, and my favorite cigars tend to be Broadleaf, CT broadleaf in particular. I like complex flavors. Off the top of my head my current favorites are the Rose of Sharon, La Aurora preferidos Sapphire, Tabernacle, Sobremesa short churchill, H.Upmann AJ Fernandez, and the 601 blue. I pair my sticks with scotch or Japanese whisky if it's booze, Guinness if it's beer, coffee in the mornings, and usually I keep water or San pellegrino nearby also.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 15, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Hahaha, my spouse loves the Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero, so we're putting some of the budget towards that instead of the Shadow Kings. They'll have their chance in the sun one day!

Gonna be a big haul off Cigar Auctioneer this/next week. They have some favorites up and they're going to be a great way to celebrate the accomplishments of this week, which will have been changing banks, finishing the living room, and finishing my office.

Hell yeah, LbO corojo lancero 4 lyfe. Smoked one of those on Saturday, it was brilliant. My buddies and I bought two 20 packs of those back in November, we might need to re-up soon. Post pics when you get your Cigar Auctioneer order in!

My girlfriend and I were gonna have a small smoke outside yesterday as part of wrapping up Valentine's Day, but it was raining and we don't have a covered deck, so we had to literally rain check. Alas.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Gramps posted:

Yeah that OP is awesome I appreciate the heads up.

I smoke drat near everything I can get my hands on, and if it's a good example of the style I'll enjoy it for what it is. I tend to like Nicaraguan stuff the most, and my favorite cigars tend to be Broadleaf, CT broadleaf in particular. I like complex flavors. Off the top of my head my current favorites are the Rose of Sharon, La Aurora preferidos Sapphire, Tabernacle, Sobremesa short churchill, H.Upmann AJ Fernandez, and the 601 blue. I pair my sticks with scotch or Japanese whisky if it's booze, Guinness if it's beer, coffee in the mornings, and usually I keep water or San pellegrino nearby also.

You sound like me, I will choose a cigar based on mood, drink and food....My Goto's are H. Upmann: Magnum 46 or 54 (medium Strength), Bolivar: Belicosos Finos, Soberanos (strong), lately I have been smoking Trinidad: Topes and Vagia.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked the EPC Pledge and it was really good. It sort of felt like it was in between Encore and La Historia. It had some strong pepper that transitioned into cocoa and espresso with some spicy wood flavors mixed in. It was a good smoke. I’ll have to try Encore again because I remember thinking it was just okay although I feel like the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua was just okay too so maybe my palate is just not cut out for some of these cigar of the year winners.

I’ll post my CigarAuctioneer shenanigans once it consolidates tonight too and we can all compare our degeneracy.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah, degenerate cigar bros.

One note that I especially love in cigars is when they get perfumey. I love the potpourri/floral/musk character that I've had in a couple My Father releases, like La Opulence and La Promesa. I also detected it in the final third of a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor that I smoked a week ago, so maybe it's just a Garcia family thing. Honestly, I've never smoked a Garcia family cigar I didn't like, those dudes are wizards.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That perfume flavor up frequently in the San Cristobal Revelation line, too! I should see if I can hold onto them long enough for it to really strengthen.

One of those Hamlet culebras was too beat up, so we put it through the cutter a bunch to see how it would taste, and honestly with the activated carbon fiber it's pretty excellent. I shouldn't have doubted it, but ya never know when things go weird.

LbO lanceros secured, waiting for some Verocru and La Aurora auctions to end tomorrow and that'll be a hell of a haul.

Powerful Monday energy today - y'all doing okay and staying warm?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
https://imgur.com/a/N5XWrHO

I can’t figure out how to get the actual link on mobile but definitely keeping warm out here.

I’m smoking a Todos Las Dias which is pretty decent, a cigars cigar. Leather, earth, bit of pepper though that has mellowed out.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 15, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

That perfume flavor up frequently in the San Cristobal Revelation line, too! I should see if I can hold onto them long enough for it to really strengthen.

One of those Hamlet culebras was too beat up, so we put it through the cutter a bunch to see how it would taste, and honestly with the activated carbon fiber it's pretty excellent. I shouldn't have doubted it, but ya never know when things go weird.

LbO lanceros secured, waiting for some Verocru and La Aurora auctions to end tomorrow and that'll be a hell of a haul.

Powerful Monday energy today - y'all doing okay and staying warm?

You going after the 107 Lanceros? Those have been on my "to purchase" list for a while.

Monday's going alright, it's rainy and I work in a greenhouse so it's drippy and annoying, but I thank the good lord every goddamn day that I don't live in Chicago or wherever that it's regularly dipping below 0 lately. It's supposed to dry out later today, and I'm hoping to maybe smoke my last La Promesa lancero.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hey, that's where I live! And it's fine. I got to choose between showering and shoveling this morning. I chose shoveling. And watched it all get undone within two hours

Life feeds on life. I must love the ocean and the brief time my sandcastle lasted.

I remember not particularly enjoying the 107 Nicaragua - I'm aiming at the 115 Belicosos. It's very similar to my GOAT (2017 Hors d'Ages Gran Toro) and much less expensive!

Today was especially challenging work wise, so I'm going to cram a mess of nicotine into me. Already had a Revelation Prophet, so what's however many more?

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Chiming in to say I'm super excited about how active the thread has been lately, and I'm definitely looking forward to checking out the upcoming review project, whatever form it takes.

I smoked that PLPC a few weeks ago, and it was fantastic. Medium bodied, great flavors, great construction. Just a really good all around example of a Cuban cigar.

No smokes for me during this winter hellscape. I have a space heater in my shop / man cave, but I'm not in the mood to out it through it's paces. My south Texas self prefers to avoid the cold, when I can.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Stupid game time! Anyone guesses what this mystery smoke is I will change my avatar and title to whatever you decide. :toxx: (not Nexein I think he knows)

I'll give you a couple clues. It's a box pressed figurado if you couldn't see, it's less expensive than it looks, it's spicy, dark, and leathery.

Edit: it also is slightly overhumidified thanks to my chilly basement, and honestly needs 6 more months resting at least.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Hey look another double post. Sorry I spend a lot of time thinking about cigars. I just checked cigarbid free falls on a whim and ALL of my favorite samplers they offer are available right now. If you have 30 minutes to kill you can lock most of em in at or under 60 bucks for 20 cigars but you gotta camp the buy button for a few minutes. Highlights include the Oliva Master blends 3, 601, caldwell, Maduro mountain, and nub samplers. If you need a lot of great stuff cheap now is the time. I have a ravenous appetite for new sticks (still learning) and these samplers are how I've tried a huge number of cigars in a short time frame.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

Stupid game time! Anyone guesses what this mystery smoke is I will change my avatar and title to whatever you decide. :toxx: (not Nexein I think he knows)

I'll give you a couple clues. It's a box pressed figurado if you couldn't see, it's less expensive than it looks, it's spicy, dark, and leathery.

Edit: it also is slightly overhumidified thanks to my chilly basement, and honestly needs 6 more months resting at least.

That a Melanio?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

That a Melanio?

Swing and a miss. cheaper. A LOT cheaper.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 16, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ha! I gambled with "under $10 (by the box)"

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Man O’ War?

Edit: Oh hmm no the figurado is 7” so that seems unlikely.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 16, 2021

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
CAO Brazilia maybe?

EDit; If unbanded, some random rear end Rocky Patel second :v:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Man O’ War?

Edit: Oh hmm no the figurado is 7” so that seems unlikely.

Dramatika posted:

CAO Brazilia maybe?

Negative.

Honestly I picked an impossible one. I was just struck by how good this thing looked when I pulled it out of the cello. If anyone even gets in the ballpark I'll call it a win.

Last and probably most important clue- it came unbanded.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Good thing I have an empty Sistema I guess. I honestly don’t even really want most of this I just have an uncontrollable urge to continuously buy cigars.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Good thing I have an empty Sistema I guess. I honestly don’t even really want most of this I just have an uncontrollable urge to continuously buy cigars.

:eyepop:

drat lookin good man! I've never used CA but I should give em a shot as I had really good luck buying from Famous.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
CigarAuctioneer has way better cigars on it than CigarBid does overall in my opinion. They aren’t always fully or 100% accurately labeled but you can find some gems on there. A lot of them will be missing the manufacturer in the title so you’ll want to search by a specific cigar name rather than just the manufacturer name. This is sort of annoying but the nice thing about CigarAuctioneer is that if you add an auction to your watch list it stays on there permanently and the next time they run the auction it will show up.

This is just a small sampling of my watch list but you can see everything I circled wouldn’t show up if you just searched for Warped, Foundation, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust, or Crowned Heads. In fact, if you search for Foundation or Dunbarton you actually don’t get any results but if you search for their individual cigars they’ve pretty much got all of their production cigars.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

drat I'll definitely have to spend more time on there. I hate their UI but it looks like it's worth putting up with. I live for cheap Dunbarton and Foundation sticks. My goal in the next few years is to meet Nick Melillo and have beers with him. When he's in the states he's only like 20 minutes away from me and he seems like a rad dude.

Edit: Good morning Upmann AJ. These absolutely rule and you can get a box of robustos for under 100 bux. Delicious stick with some really interesting floral and citrus notes you don't run into all that often. Every one has smoked like a dream too.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 16, 2021

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Lyon posted:

This is just a small sampling of my watch list but you can see everything I circled wouldn’t show up if you just searched for Warped, Foundation, Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust, or Crowned Heads. In fact, if you search for Foundation or Dunbarton you actually don’t get any results but if you search for their individual cigars they’ve pretty much got all of their production cigars.

This is incredibly dangerous information. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, CA has a great selection of really cool stuff, and their "save for later" watchlist encourages extremely unsound financial decision-making.

Gramps posted:

Negative.

Honestly I picked an impossible one. I was just struck by how good this thing looked when I pulled it out of the cello. If anyone even gets in the ballpark I'll call it a win.

Last and probably most important clue- it came unbanded.

Alright spill the beans. I'd have guessed a Rocky Patel Vintage 2nd but none of those are really spicy. What was it?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Alright spill the beans. I'd have guessed a Rocky Patel Vintage 2nd but none of those are really spicy. What was it?

You were definitely the closest. I mentioned it in a previous post actually. Toasty Jones Maduro from Cigarpage. I've had great luck with all their overrun type stuff (which sometimes they give stupid names to). Most of it is gonna need some age on it, but I've smoked and enjoyed a ton of these in varying blends and vitolas. They just posted some lanceros the other day, and if my humi wasn't stuffed I would have bought some already. They've all been frankly unreal for their price point. Very impressive construction, and good flavors. The only downside is sometimes you'll get some astringency if they aren't rested enough. If you have room in a humi for aging some sticks these are the best bundle type stuff I've found so far. They're long filler too! Their Nicaraguan double maduro overruns are almost identical to the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua. I compared them side by side and it's pretty freaky how close they are.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

This is incredibly dangerous information. Thanks!

I honestly debated whether or not to share that tidbit because the less people who know about it the better for me but I like you guys.

Edit: Also, Cigar Page is being bought/invested in by the company that owns Oliva, https://halfwheel.com/olivas-owner-invests-in-cigarpage-com/389522/.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 16, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
It's 45 degrees in New England today, which is basically shorts weather, so I've upgraded from 'shack smoking' to 'halfway out the door' smoking. Summer better hurry the gently caress up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Flor belicoso smokes amazing, enjoy!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
I normally like smaller smokes but of the vitolas we've had, (toro and robusto and now this) it's already my favorite I think. These are definitely still too fresh but I can't keep my paws off em.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

Edit: Good morning Upmann AJ. These absolutely rule and you can get a box of robustos for under 100 bux. Delicious stick with some really interesting floral and citrus notes you don't run into all that often. Every one has smoked like a dream too.

These have been the only AJ smokes I really enjoyed enough to buy again, glad you're enjoying them! Really tempting me on those Double Maduro Nicaraguans.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Nexein posted:

I normally like smaller smokes but of the vitolas we've had, (toro and robusto and now this) it's already my favorite I think. These are definitely still too fresh but I can't keep my paws off em.

My three favorite vitolas:
Petite corona
Robusto
Lonsdales

In no particular order.

I think all three are the perfect blend of wrapper and filler with PC being the best to show the best the brand has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

loving agreed on petite coronas. If you can't hack it on one of those, I'm not gonna want to bother with anything else