Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbswI_YaXJY

The RC mechanic is pretty legit. Also it feels like they gave everyone slayer damage, jesus dude look at the combo they show off in the RC section with the FRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

accessibility isnt the problem its that fighting games arent cool to be good at anymore. in the 90-2000s if you were good at fighting games you were sick and awesome and if you were bad you would lose all your money and the older kid who smoked cigs and had sex would call you a "bitchmade hard f word" because nyou couldnt anti air. people always try to convince new players that learning fighting games is some monastic quest to escape samsara through performing perfect quarter circles when really its about making people feel like huge losers when they suck. until jimmy is getting bullied irl in 5th period math class for his dogshit akuma fighting games are going t ostay dead so rather than paying game developers to make bad games with characters for simples maybe start with marketing or something (ex: id bet you a billion dollars the ~perfect~ sample in rap songs has gotten more people playing street fighter than your precious training mode)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like some sort of fighting game that lets you blame your teammates and is free to play could be a hit but everyone of those has failed badly and even in Bleeding Edge I got a lot of hatemail for the extremely op move of "canceling my moves early"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lord_Magmar posted:

From what I’ve read, the glow is literally just a damage buff for having 50% and 100% tension gauge.
apparently it also makes her faster. so sayeth youtube commenters

darealkooky posted:

every suggestion for Getting Fighting Games More Accessable has been tried, the only way you're actually going to make them have the same casual appeal they did in the mid 90s is if you blow up the internet like in deus ex so that people can go back to being a big fish in a small pond because they beat their friends by mashing sweep and don't have netplay or pro player twitch videos to realize how little they know (and for people to emulate and "suck all the fun out of the game" aka beat them by putting in more work then they want to do, so you could also just mass lobotomize humanity like a different deus ex ending so people stop getting so mad when they lose in a video game without teamates to blame).

elaborate single player modes just makes games like dragon ball and smash where you technically have a bigger playerbase but 95% of it is hiding offline, the finest tuned gameplay mechanics will fall on deaf ears for people who just mash buttons in every game and still think a QCF motion is just a pointless vestigial mechanic that only ever existed to make hadouken a secret move in the arcades, the most simplified of gameplay mechanics still create that one video of the guy being mad as gently caress about losing in rising thunder. even characters they want to be/have sex with just creates secondaries like how the darkstalkers/skullgirls Fanbase vs actual Playerbase is probably 1000-1.
yeah basically. them's fightin herds has the ideal "story mode that teaches mechanics incrementally" and still almost nobody plays that game, especially new/casual players.

really good FG tutorials are basically something for people who already drank the FG coolaid to feel good about having in their game of choice and use as a tool while evangelizing their game to their casual friends

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The only thing that can attract new people is the game looks cool and/or has a neat single player mode.

Someone sticking with it and wanting to learn it and play other players is entirely up to them and their willingness to put in the time, and no amount of included tutorial content will change that

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Looking at the video of UFOrange playing Giovanna in the Beta early, I think her damage+speed buff sticks around as long as you're comboing, at least for a while. So if you spend the meter you still have the buff for some amount of time which at least makes that not as much of an issue.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

teagone posted:

Man, Giovanna's design is so cool :allears:

I'm so excited to try her and Nago.

IronicDongz posted:

really good FG tutorials are basically something for people who already drank the FG coolaid to feel good about having in their game of choice and use as a tool while evangelizing their game to their casual friends

Yeah, basically. Casuals aren't going to go to training mode first thing, it's us FGC broke-brain fans who will.

I still think they're important to have, but I'm not convinced that they're as important as we think they are

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, basically. Casuals aren't going to go to training mode first thing, it's us FGC broke-brain fans who will.

I still think they're important to have, but I'm not convinced that they're as important as we think they are

This is kind of a solved problem because teaching someone how to play your fighter shouldn’t be “okay poo poo your rear end down in this separate mode and do your homework” like UNI or GG, but something like VF4 where it folds the tutorial into the big single player mode that you have the incentive to just keep playing to unlock new poo poo.

DBFZ at first seemed like it was going to do this but instead you just play against waves of brain dead combo dummies on a board game

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

UNI style tutorials are good but the main audience for them is going to be "casual player who wants to learn how to play on a more advanced level" - they aren't really going to help get more people into fighting games because the player has to already want get into fighting games to even bother doing them.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

MechaX posted:

DBFZ at first seemed like it was going to do this but instead you just play against waves of brain dead combo dummies on a board game

Spending years inside a hyperbolic time chamber doing boring training is very on brand for Dragon Ball, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Smoking Crow posted:

i completely agree with this post. i think coaching is something we don't really have and everyone would do better if it existed

You could do some kind of online coaching system, with some sort of incentive for people who elect to coach others. Team Fortress 2 had a system like that, though nowadays, it doesn't work.

As someone who is also bad at fighting games (yet also just bought Street Fighter 5 yesterday and played a handful of matches online, only winning one ranked match out of the lot), I feel like I could do a big write up on fite games, and my (largely personal) pros and cons about them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MechaX posted:

This is kind of a solved problem because teaching someone how to play your fighter shouldn’t be “okay poo poo your rear end down in this separate mode and do your homework” like UNI or GG, but something like VF4 where it folds the tutorial into the big single player mode that you have the incentive to just keep playing to unlock new poo poo.

when I said "really good FG tutorials", I was including games where the the 'tutorial' is folded into the single player.

You don't actually get any more players who are interested in actually playing the game versus other human beings via those tutorials.
People either have the drive and willingness to compete and fail and improve at these sorts of games, or they don't. You can't turn one kind of player into the other.
If your single player mode is fun and engaging while also teaching, maybe that's a bit of extra fun for the kinds of players who already like competing in fighting games and wanna brush up on their fundamentals, but it changes nothing for those who don't like competing.

They still aren't going to be playing versus other people, so everything you've taught them in that single player mode doesn't really go anywhere(if they absorbed it in the first place). They're playing for the story, art, animations. That's not going to change.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who went to a card game shop that hosted Smash Tournaments every week, I would occasionally bring my setup and play fighting games there whenever I was waiting for my friends to either be out of tournament or to just play while I was hanging out. You meet a lot of different kinds of people at these places. I've met the newbies who have never touched a fighting game outside of Smash Brothers in their life, then you get the newbies who casually play fighting games but don't really understand concepts and just like to press buttons, you also occasionally get the weird snobby dude I met who thinks it's weird fighting games haven't "grown out of 2d fighting to become more realistic like mma or something." That one was a really weird conversation. Anyways, the thing that ties a lot of these people together is they play the games they like because they're usually attached to a familiar brand of some sort and it doesn't really matter how unwelcoming the game is. The highest period of this was back when Fighterz came out I'd be practicing or playing with my friends who also don't normally play fighting games but like DBZ. I could find a lot of people who don't normally play fighting games trying to play me because I was a guy who knew stuff or I would play people I never saw or mention playing fighting games playing it who definitely only learned for DBFZ.

None of these people learned because DBFZ has a particularly great tutorial, it's pretty basic. However, a lot of these people love DBZ and wanted to express that through understanding the game more and learning stuff in it and by association learned basic fighting game stuff. Now were they all top players? Of course not, a lot of them kinda sucked. But what surprised me was the willingness to put in the effort for people who don't normally do any of this stuff or have never expressed that interest before. So that kinda taught me what really gets people into fighting games is either exposure at an early age to a game they particularly though was cool, anime, or a licensed fighting game that really appeals to a massive audience. This can also be seen with something like Smash Brothers, though I did not realize that for awhile because Smash always seemed like this insane anomaly to me. Turns out that DBFZ kinda had the Smash effect on a lot of people too. Point is, no one cares about tutorials, if they want to put in the work they're gonna do it because they genuinely love the game and through that love may become more tied to other fighting games because they see what they liked in that game in other fighters. Those tutorials should still be there as a baseline to understand those games better, but it's not like a silver bullet to mainstream exposure. Fighting games for the last decade have largely been preexisting franchises continuing with new iterations and licensed fighting games because those are what are going to succeed, realistically. Under-Night is the only major exception to that and event Under Night was considered obscure until it got the Evo Bump and was in BBTAG.

You also get the players who just hop onto the game and play and then bitch when you beat their rear end and ask you go to easy on them like knowing combos and how to pressure is just a switch you turn on and off which yeah dude idk what to tell you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said, I will never not find it funny how Yugioh players can learn 20 minute combos that start from five cards in their hand and cycle through their whole deck in an insane combination and memorization of cards and effects that end in a board of 10 monsters that tell your opponent to eat poo poo, but when you tell them they need to block sometimes to not die they get irritated and mad at you for grabbing them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Captain Baal posted:

You also get the players who just hop onto the game and play and then bitch when you beat their rear end and ask you go to easy on them like knowing combos and how to pressure is just a switch you turn on and off which yeah dude idk what to tell you.
trying to hold back your power level when playing FGs with your younger cousins or whatever is sincerely so frustrating because like, you can't just become new again. and if you're playing bad on purpose in a way that's "obvious" people pick up on it pretty quick, and it's insulting. so you have to do this weird roleplay thing where you're acting out how a worse player would respond and it feels super unnatural and unfun

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

when I said "really good FG tutorials", I was including games where the the 'tutorial' is folded into the single player.

You don't actually get any more players who are interested in actually playing the game versus other human beings via those tutorials.
People either have the drive and willingness to compete and fail and improve at these sorts of games, or they don't. You can't turn one kind of player into the other.
If your single player mode is fun and engaging while also teaching, maybe that's a bit of extra fun for the kinds of players who already like competing in fighting games and wanna brush up on their fundamentals, but it changes nothing for those who don't like competing.

They still aren't going to be playing versus other people, so everything you've taught them in that single player mode doesn't really go anywhere(if they absorbed it in the first place). They're playing for the story, art, animations. That's not going to change.

I think the overall goal is to have the process for someone who at least wants to try dipping their toes into the wild online west to be as unobtrusive and as straight-forward as possible. Some people probably won't change their minds, but there are still some people that probably are willing to try their luck at fighting another human, at least for a bit. And someone who might have initially bought the game only willing to gently caress with the single player content could easily change their mind and be like "what the hell, why not try this ranked mode for a second."

And I would say that for someone on the fence, it is a much easier sell to tell someone who just played a lot of the single player that actually tried to teach them how to play the game "go ahead and try this" rather than the fright scenarios you still see posted on places like r/fighters with people being like "well I didn't do all 210 tutorial mode trials therefore I am not ready for online/I might as well not even try that." Some will quit, but the point is to at least keep some people interested in continuing and to make that as easy as possible (but with all that said, this is still a competitive genre and there are limits to how many people you can expect to put up with this).

But yeah, you still have to make a game that looks appealing in the first place (Smash or DBZ are easy examples; and maybe that Riot game will do the same whenever that eventually comes out).

Captain Baal posted:

That being said, I will never not find it funny how Yugioh players can learn 20 minute combos that start from five cards in their hand and cycle through their whole deck in an insane combination and memorization of cards and effects that end in a board of 10 monsters that tell your opponent to eat poo poo, but when you tell them they need to block sometimes to not die they get irritated and mad at you for grabbing them.

The hip people play Duel Links these days where the game is super abridged (3 monsters max instead of five) and opponents can just chain stuff in under 30 seconds to slap a bunch of powerful monsters on the field to blow you up in the next 10 seconds or just force you to forfeit.

But Duel Links does dangle "hey play 4 humans today, win or lose, just don't forfeit, and we'll give you in-game currency on our f2p racket"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 16, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah the only real way to broaden fighting game appeal is to just make fighting games for popular franchises and hope that gets its hooks into fans of said franchise enough that they play other fighting games

I think that also explains why ASW's going for their new business model where they just make Guilty Gear and then an assload of licensed fighters (and a BB gacha game)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 16, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Strive probably won't do nearly as much as DBFZ did but I would definitely say that it kinda feels like a lot more eyes have been on ASW after their licensing work over the past few years.

Even on YT, a lot of people are not just watching vids of music or character trailers (a lot of them are doing that though), but watching a lot of these character demonstrations and gameplay vids. Yeah we can joke about the titled "high level gameplay" videos being posted by the gaming outlets over the past week but even these videos have a lot of eyes on them.

In comparison look at BlazBlue where people were watching a lot of anime videos and a lot of music videos, but actual gameplay matches not so much

MechaX fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 16, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think a lot of people like watching guilty gear but have no interest in playing it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It really is weird how much more attention Strive seems to be receiving, but I guess that's how video games in general have been going for a while now. Atlus is now something resembling a mainstream developer, an Atelier game sold more than a million copies, and now Gear has a shitton of attention on it. Chalk it up to internet personalities, anime becoming more accepted amongst the general consciousness, and DBFZ being such an explosive success too.

EDIT: Which to some extent makes me believe they could not have done most of the stuff they did to Strive and it will probably still be successful, but whatever I'm not Daisuke Ishiwatari the man who drew, wrote dialogue for, did the theme music of, and voiced Sol Badguy.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 16, 2021

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Put Ryza in Strive.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

trying to hold back your power level when playing FGs with your younger cousins or whatever is sincerely so frustrating because like, you can't just become new again. and if you're playing bad on purpose in a way that's "obvious" people pick up on it pretty quick, and it's insulting. so you have to do this weird roleplay thing where you're acting out how a worse player would respond and it feels super unnatural and unfun

Whenever I'm online and playing some rando who's clearly new to the game or maybe even fighting games in general, the only solution I've come up with to give them a chance to play is to stand still and try to respond to whatever they do. Most of the time, it's mostly just using an anti-air whenever they jump in or teching the occasional throw, and while some of them won't stop jumping or trying to throw after a couple of pokes, others do respond and stop trying to jump in all the time and try to do something else. It's not much, but it at least makes me feel like that they learned something, plus I get some practice teching or anti-airing against a real person :shrug:

Captain Baal posted:

EDIT: Which to some extent makes me believe they could not have done most of the stuff they did to Strive and it will probably still be successful, but whatever I'm not Daisuke Ishiwatari the man who drew, wrote dialogue for, did the theme music of, and voiced Sol Badguy.

A true Renaissance man

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hairy Right Hook posted:

Isn't this just the plot of Karate Kid?

Keep in mind that said Karate Kid had to be tricked into practising enough to get fundamentals and muscle memory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

It really is weird how much more attention Strive seems to be receiving

Strive has ArcSys leveraging several things pretty intelligently to promote the game beyond the normal GG fanbase, which explains the attention:
- it's legitimately the best-looking fighting game released since turn-of-the-century SNK sprites
- they're a mainstream name now because they made the DBZ fighting game (and a bunch of other high-quality licensed fighting games)
- their marketing is focusing on advertising the game to people who wouldn't care about the big "core" FG series (e.g. VTuber fans)

This all lines up with their stated goals for Strive (make it appealing to new people so they can grow the series' audience and this the popularity of their own IP), so it definitely feels like a strategy they've been working on for several years now.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 16, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiXb54-VrI

the people loving LOVE the theme song

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That is bullshit blazing

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Watching some early access streams of the Strive Beta, and the lobbies are still hot garbage.

It's still stunning that they doubled down on that of all things

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It gets me hype

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The beta opens for everyone on the 18th right?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The beta opens for everyone on the 18th right?

Yeah, if you preordered the game, you get early access tomorrow, and then it's open for everything on the 18th

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Captain Baal posted:

It really is weird how much more attention Strive seems to be receiving, but I guess that's how video games in general have been going for a while now. Atlus is now something resembling a mainstream developer, an Atelier game sold more than a million copies, and now Gear has a shitton of attention on it. Chalk it up to internet personalities, anime becoming more accepted amongst the general consciousness, and DBFZ being such an explosive success too.

Honestly there's also just like.......fewer "big" games these days imo. Anything that has a decently sized dev and publisher behind it automatically gets more attention now more than it did like 15 years ago.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Baal posted:

Well, with COVID there isn't a whole lot to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lmao

https://twitter.com/yurimegumi/status/1361687602072551428/photo/1

some fairly popular jp youtuber was like 'i havent played that many fighting games before' and spent an hour just talking about the character designs in guilty gear and their first impressions and doing extremely basic training mode stuff, and then he went online and got matched with dogura

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SonicFox is playing Guilty Gear Strive right now on Twitch https://twitch.tv/sonicfox

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Is there any word on the GG beta coming to PC?

Chev posted:

Keep in mind that said Karate Kid had to be tricked into practising enough to get fundamentals and muscle memory.

I wish there was a household chore out there to help me with IAD inputs

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 16, 2021

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

lmao

https://twitter.com/yurimegumi/status/1361687602072551428/photo/1

some fairly popular jp youtuber was like 'i havent played that many fighting games before' and spent an hour just talking about the character designs in guilty gear and their first impressions and doing extremely basic training mode stuff, and then he went online and got matched with dogura

owned

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hairy Right Hook posted:

Is there any word on the GG beta coming to PC?

Not happening. It’s usually safe to assume that won’t happen because devs don’t wanna make it easy for people to data mine or to modify a file or two and keep the game running offline forever

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiXb54-VrI

the people loving LOVE the theme song

I like the part where you can tell that nobody knows the words immediately past bullshit blazing.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
This game smells.

Gutcruncher posted:

Not happening. It’s usually safe to assume that won’t happen because devs don’t wanna make it easy for people to data mine or to modify a file or two and keep the game running offline forever

Yeah I figured as much. PC betas seem pretty rare for FGs. It's probably helpful to watch vods of better players labbing anyway.

Hairy Right Hook fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://youtu.be/SrdCX7hcfGQ

This is pretty great but still, RIP kancho you will be missed