Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Hm. You've given me something to think about. I guess I wasn't giving these designs enough credit as far as differences.

But I still think color is important, and that DC has been sadly limited on that front re: its bad guys.

That's a fair complaint. It worked for Doomsday, having him lit with strobes, or searchlits or explosions. It jived with his design, being constantly shifting and growing. He's not physicially set, yet, and so his lighting is kind of a reflection of that. The less said about the (apparently studio mandated) Ares fight the better, though. It's a great design wasted on a very uninteresting set piece.

It reminded me a little of God of War 3's design for Hades, but bloated. Which makes sense for a god of war in 1918

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Steppenwolf in BvS has some neat yellow spotlights on him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It looks like the idea is to give Apokolips itself a consistent design - super stark black and orange accented with silver, so dark that even the light is sickly and frail, visually connecting to the Knightmare sequence and carrying that palette to its farthest extreme. I'm not expecting Darkseid and his inner circle to have a large role, aside from Steppenwolf, who's the urgent invading threat.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

It looks like the idea is to give Apokolips itself a consistent design - super stark black and orange accented with silver, so dark that even the light is sickly and frail, visually connecting to the Knightmare sequence and carrying that palette to its farthest extreme. I'm not expecting Darkseid and his inner circle to have a large role, aside from Steppenwolf, who's the urgent invading threat.

I swear there’s an effect of a hellish color scheme where even the orange light is squashed/consumed by the darkness and bleakness of it.

Edit: no I’m wrong, one can see light reflected on the path Darkseid is walking on

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm guessing Darkseid might come off more distinctly in things like this scene:

Which seems to suggest that he and his pals are using something like a molten version of the Kryptonian metal-sculpture communication system.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm guessing Darkseid might come off more distinctly in things like this scene:

Which seems to suggest that he and his pals are using something like a molten version of the Kryptonian metal-sculpture communication system.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Steppenwolf was just watching Josstice League in that screencap.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've just never seen such slavish loyalty to one person. The Snyder poo poo just reminds me of Trump/Elon/Roberts idol worship. Like I'm sure there's many out there defending Joss Whedon as well, which is just as weird.

e: eh

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 16, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

I've just never seen such slavish loyalty to one person. The Snyder poo poo just reminds me of Trump/Elon/Roberts idol worship. Like I'm sure there's many out there defending Joss Whedon as well, which is just as weird.

e: like were this many fans licking Lucas's boots after Empire Strikes Back?

I’m not even sure if there’s a single poster on here who likes his entire filmography. Maybe teagone? I like 2 (hopefully soon to be 3!) of his movies.

I think it’s just a bias effect where we are in a thread(s) talking about a movie we are excited about? I honestly don’t think it’s anything more than that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Barreft posted:

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid." - Zack Snyder

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

King

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Barreft posted:

lmfao

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zack Snyder isn't my favorite director, but I like his work generally. The anti-fandom surrounding his work is interesting to me in its own right, too.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Barreft posted:

Oh please, do go on :allears:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

Zack Snyder isn't my favorite director, but I like his work generally. The anti-fandom surrounding his work is interesting to me in its own right, too.

Yeah, there's a bunch of directors I like more than Snyder, but there's also not constant discourse surrounding them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Glad I caught the bootlicker edit lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guy A. Person posted:

I’m not even sure if there’s a single poster on here who likes his entire filmography. Maybe teagone? I like 2 (hopefully soon to be 3!) of his movies.

Probably just me, yeah, lol. Snyder is absolutely one of my favorite directors.

[edit] I also have the most posts in the dome.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like most of his movies, but I'm not a fan of Suckerpunch and didn't really like the Dawn Of The Dead remake. I haven't seen the Owl thing.

The fandom / anti-fandom is absolutely fascinating to me. I like learning about niche internet cultures (i used to read every single Weekend Web back in the day) and it's a fascinating movement. It's cool to discuss the surprising depth of the films contrasted with the public image of being beyond shallow.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm positive on all of Snyder's movies

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
"How could anyone be slavishly loyal to a movie director," I ask as I sit in a theater to watch every Marvel movie back to back for the next 3 days.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Zack Snyder is a frustrating director who has never made a movie that I have ever fully connected with. But he also made a movie where Superman dies and there is literally a cross in the background and the movie came out on Good Friday. And that's great.

I expect the Snyder Cut to be a mess, but at least interesting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I honestly like Snyder movies mostly because of how pretty they are.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My big complaint about Zack Snyder's films is that their two and a half hour marathons that feel like every minute of their runtime.

But then again, Joss Whedon's Justice League was a two hour film that felt like a four film.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a kind of "transportation to another world" sensation that I get from Snyder's films that I like a lot. The only other director who's really done that for me is Verhoeven. Not like verisimilitude, but almost the opposite- you're never going to believe Total Recall is real any more than 300, but it's all so stylised that it's intoxicating, and it makes it memorable.

It's also interesting that he's so divisive. There's the cult following of course, but also you can't swing a cat without hitting someone who hates him, not as in not liking the movies but as in they seem to think they're doing some kind of violence to culture itself. Man Of Steel isn't just tedious and poorly paced, it's fascist! You don't see this kind of discourse so much around comic book movies. When's the last time someone called Spiderman fascist?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Barreft posted:

The anti-fandom is a whole lot worse. Unlike the people you mentioned (I'm honestly surprised you didn't include Hilter in there for some godwin bingo), Zack Snyder, at worse, makes films that you won't like. The effect on the average person is next to nothing - some lost time. So people actively hating on him and caring about his fandom are a whole lot weirder to me. So much time and effort wasted on someone who, ultimately, doesn't matter. He's not influencing or enacting policy that effects millions of people. He's just directing films. Little do you know that if the anti-fandom weren't so loving weird about hating this guy then people wouldn't be out there defending him as much. They'd just be discussing his films like any other fan of any other director would.

Like more than half of the discourse around him is negative. It's like with the alt-right wackos's constant complaining about Rian Johnson or JJ Abrams or Paul Feig. Actually, I think the usual suspects in that circle moved on after the first month. Next perceived loss in the culture war to complain about.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 16, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

When's the last time someone called Spiderman fascist?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

But then again, Joss Whedon's Justice League was a two hour film that felt like a four film.

My most heretical opinion is 80% of the story beats of Josstice League are acceptable in another context, and maybe in 2012 that thing would have ruled.

But the general half assed execution and the feeling of "this is what you deserve pigs, now eat-your-monster-faced-henry-cavill flavoured slop" doomed that thing.It's also ugly.

The second one is im not interested in suckerpunch at all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Sucker Punch is his weakest movie, personally.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the thing i don't really get is how people who talk about how snyder is some fascist, crypto or otherwise, and how he has this toxic fanbase who think his poo poo movies are great, also tend to be the people who talk about wandavision like 'okay sure it's about two no-name characters and it takes four episodes to get good, but it's got all these connections to the MCU and you'll be sad if you miss out'

like what the gently caress lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i just don't get it either ... there's just no substance to it, but it's just become so accepted. He likes Atlas Shrugged for the sex, violence and architecture. What are movies made of, if not those three things?

Also, what Objecticist would adopt four children, for a total of eight. That's the objectivist version of ritual sacrilege.

BvS has Bruce Wayne send a crippled former employee cheques, while Clark Kent defies his boss to investigate a story in an attempt help the downtrodden masses. Jon Kent talks about how he saved his farm, at the unintended cost of another person's, and how dreadful it made him feel - until he met Martha and his world became whole.

What would an actual Objectivist character do in these situations? Certainly something wildly different.

Even Diana, who has the most "gently caress you got mine" series of scenes where she chills at fancy events and boards first class jets, knows that uniting and helping others is key.

well why not fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 16, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean, one of his movies literally shoves a giant christopher wren quote in your face at the end, as if to say 'DO YOU GET THE THEME', but apparently that's still too subtle

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Roth posted:

I think Sucker Punch is his weakest movie, personally.

Same, it’s the only one I don’t really enjoy and then 300 and watchmen as well. But I’ve come to appreciate watchmen more as time has gone by and after watching the tv show. It’s still not that great, but he goes for it, mostly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We live in a Justice Society

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sucker Punch is an ambitious experiment that falls distinctly short of its goals (in large part due to studio interference, but still). It's my favorite for exactly that reason, though. Mess is interesting, and watching someone sincerely criticize the worst parts of the things they love is a good cause as well. I honestly can't wait for the guy to get away from superhero stuff and produce another original work like that, or at least something where the source material is a little less clearly defined (like this rumored upcoming King Arthur movie.)

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Here's the thing... I don't like Snyder much as a filmmaker. He's a decent stylist but I don't like his approach to storytelling and world building and characters and yadda yadda.

I really didn't like any of the previous iterations of these movies, MoS/BvS/JL etc.

But I want this to be good. I'd love it if it was. All cynicism aside, all feelings I get from the trailer aside, I freakin love these characters (if not necessarily these specific versions, y'know) , I love an interesting take on them, I love epic superhero poo poo.

I may not expect it to be good, but I hope it is. I'm ready and willing to be surprised.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Horizon Burning posted:

the thing i don't really get is how people who talk about how snyder is some fascist, crypto or otherwise, and how he has this toxic fanbase who think his poo poo movies are great, also tend to be the people who talk about wandavision like 'okay sure it's about two no-name characters and it takes four episodes to get good, but it's got all these connections to the MCU and you'll be sad if you miss out'

like what the gently caress lmao

Marvel sucks too. The ubiquitousness of toxic comic-book and superhero fandom (media originally for children and adolescents) among presumably grown adults exemplifies a deeply alienated society and culture in which we live. The particular fanaticism of Zack Snyder’s personality cult is only one — albeit disturbing — iteration of this. Snyder’s love of Ayn Rand novels deserves the ridicule it receives as well.

Alan Moore detailed this alarming phenomenon perfectly:

Some more accurate commentary on this trend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgInmHHO0m4

And, of course, Martin Scorsese nailed it in his NYT op-ed: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Dawn Of The Dead is Snyder’s only good film.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Barreft posted:

No-one else made the straightforward objection here, that those are all people actively engaged in scams, corruption, fascism, and Star Citizen where Zack Snyder is just a guy who directs movies.

I haven't seen Dawn of the Dead, Sucker Punch or Owls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bill Mahr sucks rear end and shouldn’t be listened too even if he has a point.