Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Once you get used to him phase 2 Hades is honestly easier to deal with because he becomes much more aggressive but still has the post-spin opening and generally gets more predictable. But up until you hit the epilogue that poo poo is not at all trivial to do blind, don’t worry, you already learned how to handle the Real Hades Experience of Elysium, it’s only a matter of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The thing that got Bow to really click with me was running Hera with Aphrodite cast and any-damage-can-crit Artemis boon. I got really lucky and got Fully Loaded too, so it was just a case of loading up, slamming off the shotgun, then running around getting potshots as I waited for the bloodstones to pop back out. Ridiculously fun.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibblebibble posted:

The thing that got Bow to really click with me was running Hera with Aphrodite cast and any-damage-can-crit Artemis boon. I got really lucky and got Fully Loaded too, so it was just a case of loading up, slamming off the shotgun, then running around getting potshots as I waited for the bloodstones to pop back out. Ridiculously fun.

You actually get higher DPS against bosses with Artemis if you hit them with one stone-infused shot, then load the rest into a second shot due to the stone-imbed bonus.

My favorite Hera build is a Demeter-attack, Zeus-special, Dionysus-cast, Artemis-call. It gives you the opportunity to get Ice Wine, Lightning Rod, Scintillating Feast, AND Cold Fusion on the same build. :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Paperhouse posted:

drat, I thought I was about to get my first win because I had a health regen ability against Hades. For the first half of the fight my health never went below 100, then he wrecked me after he unexpectedly regained his whole life bar and went super saiyan :(

I must have taken like 1000 damage in the fight lol, I had a pretty poo poo build and was relying on 3 casts every now and then to get any damage

If you don't have it yet, Eurydice's trinket is super good against Hades. If there's ever any question in my mind about whether or not I can get a clear on a given run, I'll always switch to that one before entering Styx.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's hard for me to give up the Plume for Fists/Swords/Shield unless I was starting with a boon trinket. For Bow/Rail/Spear I tend to use go with whatever.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I feel like the bow and spear depend on hyperion hammers in order to shine. Whereas every other weapon the hammers are upgrades to what's already a viable weapon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You actually get higher DPS against bosses with Artemis if you hit them with one stone-infused shot, then load the rest into a second shot due to the stone-imbed bonus.

My favorite Hera build is a Demeter-attack, Zeus-special, Dionysus-cast, Artemis-call. It gives you the opportunity to get Ice Wine, Lightning Rod, Scintillating Feast, AND Cold Fusion on the same build. :getin:

That's just a Chiron build with a worse weapon ability? Sure you lose the ability to load up a 3-cast nuke I guess, but I can just three cast and then spam Q to land 8-12 Zeus specials on the poor unfortunate idiot I just tagged. No delay on stone return either. Just do your attack, two specials, and another attack to refresh target lock.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Sanctum posted:

I feel like the bow and spear depend on hyperion hammers in order to shine. Whereas every other weapon the hammers are upgrades to what's already a viable weapon.

This is how I feel about the rail. I hated that weapon until I got the rocket special and triple special upgrades in one run.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Dugong posted:

This is how I feel about the rail. I hated that weapon until I got the rocket special and triple special upgrades in one run.

The rocket special is really mandatory for me at this point. It feels way too good, heck you'd think it would make Eris aspect awkward but the instant rocket means you don't have a delay before your buff is applied

Also it does a million damage

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/1361015948208009217

:3:

minema
May 31, 2011
I just can't help myself from taking the prophecied boons, even when it ruins my build and I inevitable die to Hades. Looking forwards to being free of their tyranny!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ice lasers sure are busted huh

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah. I understand the hate they get, but it doesn't take much to just bust them wide open. Some of my favorite runs so far were Meme Beam based.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Enjoying the sword the most. What boons are good with it? Only unlocked the spear and bow so far and the sword seems way better than both. Tho the spear has potential

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sapozhnik posted:

I never take them because it means giving up +50% damage from sticking my cast.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Enjoying the sword the most. What boons are good with it? Only unlocked the spear and bow so far and the sword seems way better than both. Tho the spear has potential
Sword is the first weapon for a reason: it's middle of the road at everything. Everything's fine with the sword. It's not as fast as the fists or the rail, but it's not as slow as the bow, it's got some AOE, etc.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

I like getting hangover on sword attack and deflect on special. I'm still at like 4 heat though so basically anything wins a run as long as get to like 300 hp.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gobbeldygook posted:

I never take them because it means giving up +50% damage from sticking my cast.

I'll only take cast beam if I also plan to going Artemis for the tracking buff.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Baseline bow is boring, but its alternate forms each get really loving good with the blood upgrades and the right boons

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Dumb question, but how exactly does the God Gauge work? I've done about 10 runs now and made it to the third zone, but it's never really been explained how the God Gauge works - what charges it up etc.

Also, how do I use the Blood things that I've picked up from the level bosses? Is that a "later" thing?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

webmeister posted:

Dumb question, but how exactly does the God Gauge work? I've done about 10 runs now and made it to the third zone, but it's never really been explained how the God Gauge works - what charges it up etc.

Also, how do I use the Blood things that I've picked up from the level bosses? Is that a "later" thing?

It's like a Limit bar - charges up as you take/deal damage. Some boons will allow it to charge automatically or accelerate the amount you get from taking/dealing damage. Also, the God Gauge only appears if you have a Call boon.

Calls can be used as soon as you have one bar. If you use it at max bars, you expend all of it for a much stronger version (most Calls have four bars max, Artemis has five). Most of them just greatly increase the effects (for instance, Athena's just vastly increases the duration), but Aphrodite's changes completely. Depending on the Call and your other boons you may opt to just use the one bar versions for a shot in the arm, or save them for a big move.

The Blood is used for unlocking and upgrading weapon aspects. I think you might need to unlock all the weapons (there are six) before you can start to do so, however.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

webmeister posted:

The base God Gauge (so, no boons that affect its buildup) just work on the amount of hits you do to an enemy, not the amount of damage, it becomes really noticeable when you lean into hitting enemies a lot like with the rift blades or with any fast weapon + Zeus on attack. The titan blood starts being usable when you unlock the normal weapons so yeah it’s a later thing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Got my first victory tonight: overall attempt #20. I haven't even unlocked any aspects or all the darkness upgrades yet. this happened kind of on accident; I got 2 early upgrades for the rail special and then just lobbed insane AOE bombs the rest of the game. it was also my first victory over theseus and the minotaur.

fun game. good design with the mom convo to get you to try and clear again.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I'll only take cast beam if I also plan to going Artemis for the tracking buff.

one of my favorite runs I got two extra casts from chaos boons and the cast cool down reduction from
Hermes along with the tracking and I think chill buffs to the lasers. (All with Stygian soul)

Hades fight was me just spamming cast as fast as I could and creating a circle of laser death around him. Don’t think I attacked at all.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's like a Limit bar - charges up as you take/deal damage. Some boons will allow it to charge automatically or accelerate the amount you get from taking/dealing damage. Also, the God Gauge only appears if you have a Call boon.

Calls can be used as soon as you have one bar. If you use it at max bars, you expend all of it for a much stronger version (most Calls have four bars max, Artemis has five). Most of them just greatly increase the effects (for instance, Athena's just vastly increases the duration), but Aphrodite's changes completely. Depending on the Call and your other boons you may opt to just use the one bar versions for a shot in the arm, or save them for a big move.

The Blood is used for unlocking and upgrading weapon aspects. I think you might need to unlock all the weapons (there are six) before you can start to do so, however.

Last Celebration posted:

The base God Gauge (so, no boons that affect its buildup) just work on the amount of hits you do to an enemy, not the amount of damage, it becomes really noticeable when you lean into hitting enemies a lot like with the rift blades or with any fast weapon + Zeus on attack. The titan blood starts being usable when you unlock the normal weapons so yeah it’s a later thing.

Thanks both! I figured it was something like that, but since I'm usually concentrating on mob movements and dodging, it was hard to watch the bar and see the direct link between hits and gauge buildup. Just surprised it's not explained at all in-game unlike most other concepts. Although it's extremely possible it was explained and I missed it like a fully presidential bonehead.

I haven't unlocked all the weapons yet, just the bow, shield and spear so far. Big fan of the spear, which I've done the best with, while I've found the bow tricky to use and not particularly effective a lot of the time.

Final beginners thought: holy poo poo playing with a controller vs M&K is like night and day. I played my first few rounds initially with the mouse and keyboard before trying out the controller and wow. What a difference. Even with my old-rear end broken controller that pulls slightly down/left on the stick in neutral position.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Boons that are better with quick, light attacks: thunder, hangover, chill
Boons that are better with big, heavy attacks: knockback, weak, deflect

Criticals are kind of always good - they'll be more consistent on quick attacks but you'll pop for the big numbers on heavy attacks.
Doom is kind of weird in that since it doesn't stack you kind of want it on a slow attack, but since it does fixed damage you kind of want it on a weak attack? It's pretty good on the bow special if you're using it as area denial rather than a shotgun to the back of the head.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone please tell me how to use Athena properly, because all of her boons apart from the Dash feel super-underwhelming when I do pick them.

Glazius posted:

Boons that are better with quick, light attacks: thunder, hangover, chill
Boons that are better with big, heavy attacks: knockback, weak, deflect

Criticals are kind of always good - they'll be more consistent on quick attacks but you'll pop for the big numbers on heavy attacks.
Doom is kind of weird in that since it doesn't stack you kind of want it on a slow attack, but since it does fixed damage you kind of want it on a weak attack? It's pretty good on the bow special if you're using it as area denial rather than a shotgun to the back of the head.

I like Doom on the Spear's Special, the time it takes for Doom to trigger is pretty close to the time it takes you to throw the Spear and then recall it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

C-Euro posted:

Someone please tell me how to use Athena properly, because all of her boons apart from the Dash feel super-underwhelming when I do pick them.

Athena is kind of middle-ground; she offers big % numbers on her boons, so she's actually perfectly fine to just slot in as a direct damage upgrade. Deflect works well with fast attacks, so she also works fine with things like the fists.

Her secondary boons aren't that interesting outside of automatically charging your God Gauge, but her Call is okay especially when paired with boons that accelerate that charge so you can have large periods of invincibility.

I'd consider her lower priority really. Dash is good, Attack is situationally fine and gets a little better if you grab her boon that lets Deflect Expose as well, the rest aren't that important unless you're gunning for a specific build or Duo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Glazius posted:

I used doom on my early clears because, like most people, I played slow and cowardly so doing a lot of damage with my infrequent attacks worked really well.

C-Euro posted:

Athena's boons are all broadly useful for any build. Deflecting attacks is always good (and despite being % damage are justifiable for fast weapons like fists or Chiron bow special because you'll get more value out of deflecting), her cast is AOE , damage reduction is good, getting a death defiance back is good, trap damage reduction works vs Hades' vases, etc.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
drat, I got to Hades with a few defiances left and what I thought was a really good build, but still couldn't beat him. His attacks just seem to come from everywhere constantly

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It helped me to treat him a bit like Asterius. Dodge through, not away. His huge dash spin looks bad but since he dashes forward with it you're usually better off by going through. He tends to attack in combos but he has pretty long idles after so you'll quickly get used to your attack windows. Eventually I could beat normal Hades with 0 boons and 0 death defiances lost.

Having lots of dashes is really good against him too. You will be able to use multiple fully charged calls in the fight, so I often use late poms to boost my call. He's vulnerable to slowing effects even if he brushes them off once in a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ApplesandOranges posted:

Athena is kind of middle-ground; she offers big % numbers on her boons, so she's actually perfectly fine to just slot in as a direct damage upgrade. Deflect works well with fast attacks, so she also works fine with things like the fists.

Her secondary boons aren't that interesting outside of automatically charging your God Gauge, but her Call is okay especially when paired with boons that accelerate that charge so you can have large periods of invincibility.

I'd consider her lower priority really. Dash is good, Attack is situationally fine and gets a little better if you grab her boon that lets Deflect Expose as well, the rest aren't that important unless you're gunning for a specific build or Duo.

I did a Spear run last night with her Attack + Dash and Ares Special + Cast and it just felt really anemic. I even managed to get their Duo boon but the Spear combat loop is slow enough that it didn't feel like it made much difference. Definitely not going to do that build again!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Paperhouse posted:

drat, I got to Hades with a few defiances left and what I thought was a really good build, but still couldn't beat him. His attacks just seem to come from everywhere constantly

One thing I figured out was that when he throws a skull at you, it sits out there with a countdown, and when it's up the skull pops and that's how those blast waves trigger. Go kill the skulls so you don't get caught having to dodge two things at once.

Also dodge towards/through the spin attack, not with it! Some kind of armor breaking hammer upgrade really helps with the summons because they have normal(ish?) health but crazy huge armor.

Aim for centaur hearts. 25 max hp is actually 62.5 total health if you have 3 defiances! Even when I play really poorly and eat a ton of poo poo, if I have 350 max hp I can just brute force him.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Knowing where skulls are is very important. You don't have to clear all of them. If he leaves one or two on one end of the room just move to the other and the blast radius won't reach you. If there are a bunch then clear one out for some breathing room.

Save your call in phase one for when he summons as that is the most hectic part of the fight for me. And make sure not to waste a summon right before he changes phases and puts up a shield.

He has a lot of openings in the second part of the fight. In the first phase he only shoots lasers in front of him so whack him in the back. When he does 360 lasers you can run right up to him and hug him and they won't damage you, and you get a bunch of free hits. Summoning the lamp things is also a bunch of free hits. Then make sure to clear the lamps from one part of the room by dashing through them (hopefully you have a good dash boon for this). Basically whenever he stops in the second part of the fight and looks like he's about to do something (lasers or lamps) its a good idea to run right up to him and start attacking. If you can make it in time otherwise duck behind a rock.

The rest of the fight is just figuring out how to avoid his big spear spin. You have to be prepared to dash through it or get the hell away from him. Hit and run but be aggressive.

Also getting an attack and special boon that apply statuses for privelaged status is a big damage boost. My weak runs usually lacks that. If you dont have a good status on both attack and special then try for dash. Athena dash is really good when paired with the boon that leaves enemies exposed when you deflect. Just dash though and hit their backs. Plus dash deflect is really good for knock those skulls away when he shoots them at you.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’ve heard they invented the steam engine as a toy, but I didn’t know the ancient Greeks also had guns

The explosive attack is really fun. Makes it feel like a 40k bolter. Idk if it’s good tho, died on the skeleton fury

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Oh poo poo I can use my FOUR whole titan bloods to upgrade an aspect but I have choice paralysis.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

Oh poo poo I can use my FOUR whole titan bloods to upgrade an aspect but I have choice paralysis.

You can spend it without fretting, blood isn't that scarce later in the game.

e: I'd probably upgrade one Zag aspect to full instead of unlocking more aspects (those cost more to upgrade). Pick your favourite weapon, it's fine.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

So I unlocked Zeus shield and a couple fist upgrades and I regret it already 😓

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

So I unlocked Zeus shield and a couple fist upgrades and I regret it already 😓

Hah, you just named my favorite two weapons. Funny how people can have wildly different opinions on the weapons in this game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

CFox posted:

Hah, you just named my favorite two weapons. Funny how people can have wildly different opinions on the weapons in this game.

Any tips for the shield? I also unlocked the chaos aspect for it and am doing well with a doom/rift build, just beat the hydra for the first time. Hermès’ sturdy on dash boon is honestly doing most of the work, I’m just zipping around making sure everyone is doomed and releasing a seeker blade rift every now and then, it rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Any tips for the shield? I also unlocked the chaos aspect for it and am doing well with a doom/rift build, just beat the hydra for the first time. Hermès’ sturdy on dash boon is honestly doing most of the work, I’m just zipping around making sure everyone is doomed and releasing a seeker blade rift every now and then, it rocks.

Hold attack, block while rush charges, bull rush, special nearest enemy at end of the rush, repeat.

Edit: Status curses like weak, chill, doom, and hangover are great for the shield special because it will generally hit a lot of enemies in a large area very quickly.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 16, 2021