Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Well the platform's fixed, all I have to do is pop the laser on there and I can shoot any windowsill I want.

The issue with the floor is the only reference I have is the floor itself, and because of the slope in the existing joists I need two points to make sure they're both level and at the right height, so I shot from the floor, measured down to my reference points in 4 locations, then ran the two strings. I can't really figure out a way to get all the joists leveled up with just the laser.

That might just be because I'm dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It might be I'm missing something but it sounds like you need a mounting point for your laser which is independent of the floor. Are you able to screw its bracket into a wall? Or hammer a stake into the earth?

Also, do you know why your lines are moving? I'd have thought they'd be firmly tied down to a nail or something.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I could mount the laser at an appropriate point, so it shines across the top of the joists, but I'd still need another point of reference tho level them.

The strings are firmly tied to screws, it's just that if you bump them or deflect them in any way over 28' they won't be straight and level anymore. Like you accidentally drag your nail gun's air hose over it, and now it's deflected ½" and that error is magnified by a 12' timber, then everything is messed up and out of level.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I could mount the laser at an appropriate point, so it shines across the top of the joists, but I'd still need another point of reference tho level them.

Then I definitely don't understand. My laser level shines a flat plane and self-levels, so if I were doing it I'd put it (as you say) just above the desired top of the joists, and raise/level the joists until they're just shy of breaking the beam. If they break the beam at all, adjust them until they don't. That should wind up fully level, no?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mine just shines a single line, rather than a flat plane.

E: on further review this may not be a laser level, and may just be a transit laser.

:saddowns:

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 6, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Mine just shines a single line, rather than a flat plane.

Ahhh. That explains it. I've got I think this one:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW088LG-Cross-Laser-Green/dp/B017LTFQXI

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I should pick one of those up next time I need to do something like this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anyway, you can see how awesome and level the existing joists are, I guess they didn't like having an entire house cantilevered off them for years.

That's after jacking them up several inches.

The one nailed to the back wall is level.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
This is what'll have to happen with our attic when it's renovated. It's hilariously bumpy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Level floor joists installed.

I don't know what drugs I was on when I thought I could somehow get this wall to a point where I could figure it out when I open the other side for the bathroom, but it's hosed, I don't think support beams are supposed to hang off walls, in fact it might even be the opposite.

As far as I can tell my house's roof is magical and levitates, while everything hangs off of it.

So the demo continues, and the project's scope expands once again.

E: oh yeah, see that giant concrete block next to the post there? AFAICT it's the original well for the house, and used to sit out under the porch that got converted to a bathroom, there's a ½" water line coming from it that's very well rusted.

Hopefully it's not a sewage pit.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 7, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Anchors and bases for the new beams are epoxied in so the beams can be set tomorrow.

Once bean has a 12' span and needs another footer+post at some point, but that can wait until I gut the old porch/bathroom/laundry hallway.

I'm pretty sure the porch used to sit on the ground, all the joists are rotten to poo poo, that whole area will need the floor ripped out entirely, rather than any sort of repair or sistering.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
As frustrating as our house can be, at least the worst thing we'd probably find if we tore out some walls is "spiders horrific in number and terrifying in size."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Getting called in to work at 4am kinda ruined my motivation to get poo poo done on the house.

Got the beams in place and the last joist nailed up though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

As frustrating as our house can be, at least the worst thing we'd probably find if we tore out some walls is "spiders horrific in number and terrifying in size."

I think that's the difference between "nice old house" and "old house thrown together in the woods by lumberjacks"
:v:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh man, gently caress all this fiddly little framing, it eats up so much time making a million little measurements and cuts.

I should have used 2 8' 2x8's for these long joists, I can't really get enough nails in these little chunks.

Blocking up the ends of the 2x8s, just for a little more support.

One of the blocks had a screw through it at some point right where I needed to cut it, and it looks pretty cool.

HD lost the register Boots I ordered, that's annoying.

Oh well, can't expect everything anything to go to plan.

I think I need new boots too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Those boots are toast. I'm a redwing guy, I usually get about 30-36 months out of a pair. When I wore cheaper boots, I was lucky to get 12 before they literally fell apart.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Those boots are toast. I'm a redwing guy, I usually get about 30-36 months out of a pair. When I wore cheaper boots, I was lucky to get 12 before they literally fell apart.

They've done me good for the only boots in my size, and being cheap lovely boots, I've had them around ~4 years, but the first two I was out to sea 75% of the time, and at work (in different boots) the rest.

I ordered a pair of USA made Danners, I always want to go Red Wings, and choke on the price tag (all the styles I like are like $400).

If these don't work out I'll swallow it and go Red Wings, boots are so hard because every decent brand's reviews are a mix of "best boots in the world!" And "used to be the best boots ever, now they SUCK!"

Oh yeah, that hole in the arch is from me kicking a pick-axe to ram it under some boards, and I kicked it through the sole and into my foot, oops.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm still getting on well with steel toe Cats. The rigid sole makes extended ladder work more comfortable, and they've managed to survive a few direct hits with a machete with just small nicks to the leather..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wait, you're sistering the new joists to the old ones still from the look of it? I'm kind of curious why you didn't go all new and put them on proper 16in centers. That's what I did in my master bedroom and drat was it ever easy compared to what you're doing - I just mounted my ledgers level going straight out from the existing floor it had to match up with at each side of the room and then hung joists on them.

e: I actually just got my new Carolinas today. Old boots were absolutely no longer waterproof, sole started coming apart and a chunk of the metal sole shank came out through the liner so it was time, they're junkyard boots now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

wait, you're sistering the new joists to the old ones still from the look of it? I'm kind of curious why you didn't go all new and put them on proper 16in centers. That's what I did in my master bedroom and drat was it ever easy compared to what you're doing - I just mounted my ledgers level going straight out from the existing floor it had to match up with at each side of the room and then hung joists on them.

e: I actually just got my new Carolinas today. Old boots were absolutely no longer waterproof, sole started coming apart and a chunk of the metal sole shank came out through the liner so it was time, they're junkyard boots now.

Yeah, I had thought of replacement, but because of how out of level everything is I'd have to build some goofy box section on top of the ledger to support the ends. Itxs actually triple-sistered because the old joists are rotten out, so those were sistered to 2x5's (they were so compressed we had to rip the 2x6's down) that are sitting on the ledger, which are sistered to the original 2x6's, which are sistered to the level 2x8's.

It makes no loving sense until you consider the order this was all done in.

I couldn't jack up the house without "fixing" the old joists because of how it was constructed.....

It's a horrible situation where I'm using 2x the lumber for a product that's half as strong as doing it properly, slightly better then the original, and 100x as good as what was happening.

I've also been learning as I go, and a lot of my knowledge is based on bad gouge from an idiot Nazi who thought he was a "pro General Contractor" (basically all my trades experience is as an electrician, any carpentry is Google and Osmosis) also couldn't do the intelligent thing and gut the fucker as step 1, because I was living with him and his wife.

So here we are, and I'm in for a penny, in for a pound, this project must be finished by MAY now, and I'm running out of time and money, so forge on blindly is the name of the game.

In the positive side for sistering, the two central old beams

NOT YOU

this was added (on like a loving 15⁰ angle from square) on pier blocks to support the central wall, which is no longer needed due to the new posts and beams supporting the second floor

Are solid and level, someone's come in and retroed decent footers and posts (replacing the original literal stumps) the retro'd 2x5's are attached to the old joists with RSSs, and attached to the new ledger with Ticos and angle brackets. Everything's tied together with structural screws and nails, it SHOULD work and resist sag.

When shitxs difficult or sketchy I pray and throw money on the alter of the Simpson Strong-Tie corporation, and hope I can mumble "it's rated" to the inspector as an excuse.

But I hate it and it makes me unhappy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

None of this would have happened if I had made a 2'x6' printout of a Gantt Chart.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

They've done me good for the only boots in my size, and being cheap lovely boots, I've had them around ~4 years, but the first two I was out to sea 75% of the time, and at work (in different boots) the rest.

I ordered a pair of USA made Danners, I always want to go Red Wings, and choke on the price tag (all the styles I like are like $400).

If these don't work out I'll swallow it and go Red Wings, boots are so hard because every decent brand's reviews are a mix of "best boots in the world!" And "used to be the best boots ever, now they SUCK!"

Oh yeah, that hole in the arch is from me kicking a pick-axe to ram it under some boards, and I kicked it through the sole and into my foot, oops.

Mine died quickly because I used to work on the water. Sadly 6 plus lots of hydraulic fluid plus 18 hours a day in them... Redwing definitely has a range of qualities. I used to be a diehard 2226 fan (~$225) until they discontinued them. I bought every pair in my size in the country, and got another 4 years before having to switch. Now I wear a 3504 that's insulated and waterproof, 100% US made, but like $325.

I've heard that Danner quality had taken a hit, but hopefully they've gotten their poo poo together. Boots are so tough. Out of all the redwing styles, there's only been two that fit my small ankles. I literally sat down and tried on every 6-8 inch steel toe boot they had. The 2226 and the style I wear now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Mine died quickly because I used to work on the water. Sadly 6 plus lots of hydraulic fluid plus 18 hours a day in them... Redwing definitely has a range of qualities. I used to be a diehard 2226 fan (~$225) until they discontinued them. I bought every pair in my size in the country, and got another 4 years before having to switch. Now I wear a 3504 that's insulated and waterproof, 100% US made, but like $325.

I've heard that Danner quality had taken a hit, but hopefully they've gotten their poo poo together. Boots are so tough. Out of all the redwing styles, there's only been two that fit my small ankles. I literally sat down and tried on every 6-8 inch steel toe boot they had. The 2226 and the style I wear now.

Fuckin' saltwater and oil kills boots, between working topside, and rock salt I'd be in for a pair of workboots a year when I was on the boat in CT. Religious polishing, and a hard leather (not suede) helps resist oil and salt, but it can only do so much, the Redwing guys could get two years, as long as they didn't burn through the toe on non-skid.

I'm hoping Danner's improved, they have a lot of :words: on their site about improving design and moving production back to the US. Honestly I'm pretty easy on my at-home shitkickers, these crappy Carharts have lasted me 2 years.

I haven't done poo poo on my house, but it feels like I did because I shoveled about 1,000,000 lbs of wet snow.

HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS BIRB!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Love how the bent brackets make it look like that bird weighs hundreds of pounds

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

He's chonky, leave him alone.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

If anyone wants to watch a guy make his way into an endless dark chasm, you're in luck.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

If anyone wants to watch a guy make his way into an endless dark chasm, you're in luck.

For some reason I thought this was going to be a video of the bird. Very disappointed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

For some reason I thought this was going to be a video of the bird. Very disappointed.

:same: was promised fat bird video.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh no I've misled everyone.

:saddowns:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just wanted HD to ship me some pre-made encapsulated register boots for my cold air return so I could throw 'em in the floor with some flex duct and get to flooring, but I guess if they gently caress up shipping an order there's literally no way to rectify that.

So I guess I have to make them myself.

I have no idea what I'm doing, wheeeeee!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

That's a pretty dope birdhouse.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

:lovebird:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh poo poo my new blow gun came.

Not only am I a VIP, all the threads are O-ring sealed!

Okay, so it's not a good seal.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

Elviscat posted:

Oh poo poo my new blow gun came.

Not only am I a VIP, all the threads are O-ring sealed!

Okay, so it's not a good seal.

That last image caused physical discomfort.

This continues to be my favorite SA page-turner.

I’m not sure quite how universal any of this is, but I know it strikes a deep, primal chord. At least for me, these situations feel like something akin to being confronted with cleaning the Aegean Stables while not being Hercules and with much greater, more dire stakes. Goodness knows you keep finding more and more poo poo everywhere you touch in that house.

This is utterly heroic stuff. I’m pulling for you every time open this thread. Can’t imagine there aren’t others reading this who feel deeply invested in your progress and success.

I hope (not believe, just hope) that some goon memorializes your odyssey in some forums-appropriate fashion. If I had media skills (and weren’t mired in my own myriad, ever growing, Sisyphean must-do list) I’d try my hand at a MS-Paint-based narrative set to, “The Cat Came Back,” as that feels like the kind of personalized-yet-ultimately-unhelpful kind of thing that results from being unable to contribute in a tangible way.

Godspeed, man. Rubberneckers aside (it’s a fascinating crash,) there seems to be a real contingent who need you to succeed.

Lotta sincerity from a complete stranger on a dead comedy forum, but sometimes that’s what’s called for.

Good luck, Elviscat

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

I just wanted HD to ship me some pre-made encapsulated register boots for my cold air return so I could throw 'em in the floor with some flex duct and get to flooring, but I guess if they gently caress up shipping an order there's literally no way to rectify that.

So I guess I have to make them myself.

I have no idea what I'm doing, wheeeeee!

You really are almost West-Coast-Ken.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sure you've only got a couple to do but would it not be ~more efficient~ in the long run to build an entire plasma cutter with built-in sharpie marking?

Think of the aggregate time savings!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Discernibly Turgid posted:

That last image caused physical discomfort.

This continues to be my favorite SA page-turner.

I’m not sure quite how universal any of this is, but I know it strikes a deep, primal chord. At least for me, these situations feel like something akin to being confronted with cleaning the Aegean Stables while not being Hercules and with much greater, more dire stakes. Goodness knows you keep finding more and more poo poo everywhere you touch in that house.

This is utterly heroic stuff. I’m pulling for you every time open this thread. Can’t imagine there aren’t others reading this who feel deeply invested in your progress and success.

I hope (not believe, just hope) that some goon memorializes your odyssey in some forums-appropriate fashion. If I had media skills (and weren’t mired in my own myriad, ever growing, Sisyphean must-do list) I’d try my hand at a MS-Paint-based narrative set to, “The Cat Came Back,” as that feels like the kind of personalized-yet-ultimately-unhelpful kind of thing that results from being unable to contribute in a tangible way.

Godspeed, man. Rubberneckers aside (it’s a fascinating crash,) there seems to be a real contingent who need you to succeed.

Lotta sincerity from a complete stranger on a dead comedy forum, but sometimes that’s what’s called for.

Good luck, Elviscat

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words.

sharkytm posted:

You really are almost West-Coast-Ken.

We're about the same size too, I don't have any Jeeps though, and he's a much better craftsman, lol.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sure you've only got a couple to do but would it not be ~more efficient~ in the long run to build an entire plasma cutter with built-in sharpie marking?

Think of the aggregate time savings!

That's really cool, I don't think metal-fume fever is what I need rn though.

One of my coworkers is trying to CNC his plasma right now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Itchy pillow!

All the stud bays are 24" I don't have to mea.....

That was lucky.

Did a bunch of fiddly carpentry behind there too, since that end of the wall was kind of flying in space.

I'm going to try to finish all subfloor installation limiting items tomorrow, which I'm sure will go well since I just got round 2 of the COVID vaccine and the body aches are already setting in.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

36 hours after getting the shot I still have a 100 degree fever.

I need to make progress dang it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Elviscat posted:

36 hours after getting the shot I still have a 100 degree fever.

I need to make progress dang it.

Normal. I had rigors at 12, 24, and 36 hours, and by 48 hours I just felt a little tired and incredibly hungry. Your body is doing its thing.