Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

swickles posted:

Tag yourself. I call dibs on Gritty Gritty Bang Bang

https://twitter.com/rzhongnotes/status/1361281278910332928?s=19

Snowcially Distant and Tam'O'Salter for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

swickles posted:

Tag yourself. I call dibs on Gritty Gritty Bang Bang

https://twitter.com/rzhongnotes/status/1361281278910332928?s=19

Sled Zepplin ofc

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lord Coldemort & You’re a Blizzard Harry.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Incidentally, Texas right now feels like a recipe for huge numbers of carbon monoxide poisonings, please please please do not try to run a generator inside or near open windows

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

shirts and skins posted:

Incidentally, Texas right now feels like a recipe for huge numbers of carbon monoxide poisonings, please please please do not try to run a generator inside or near open windows

Sounds like a lot of people could use some propane and propane accessories.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

shirts and skins posted:

Poor southerners are good enough at doing this without a polar vortex.

I've been in a depressing number of drafty trailers with gas ovens running full blast door open for home heating.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

Lord Coldemort & You’re a Blizzard Harry.

Taken :colbert:

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lord Coldemort & You're a Blizzard Harry

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Salt Disney. For sure.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
License to Chill

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If it was the US I would fully expect one to be called White Plower which would be the most well compensated plow in Texas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah very fair answers. I think people like to buy "stuff" but we're practical people. We probably actually would use a Kitchenaid, but it feels like we'll need to know how the space in our kitchen will work before deciding to get one of those. Tools actually seem like the right answer. I have a bunch of stuff from living in a rental house but it's all fairly cheap. I hear a good drill and a good saw can be lifesavers.

You need a ten foot ladder, a sawzall, an outlet tester, a copy of the Black & Decker guide to home wiring, a tack hammer, a claw hammer... hey, have you decided on which 18v battery ecosystem you're going with yet? Ryobi is the home depot one and it's fine for homeowners, lots of people swear by bosch or milwaukee, definitely don't get the black & decker ones (they make a good book about wiring but everything else they sell is garbo). You're gonna want a shop vac, maybe a power washer, a squeegee, get yourself some knee pads/pucks if you have a crawlspace, think about what sorts of shovels your yard/driveway/weather conditions call for. Got grass? Any bushes? The Fiscars shears are fine, maybe consider some loppers, hedge shears, or some of the power tool options in that arena, I'm assuming you're already thinking about the lawnmower and/or string trimmer to go with.

Welcome to home ownership, the above represents some fraction of your first two month's purchases, not a full list, but it'll get ya started.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I don't own 75% of those items lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

If it was the US I would fully expect one to be called White Plower which would be the most well compensated plow in Texas.

There’d also be two Mr. Plow’s, a Plow King, and something referencing cocaine.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

Or straight up deaths from exposure inside people's homes. This poo poo is legal crime.

The state's cutting more customers shortly, going down to 1/3 of meters. Pretty much down to circuits with critical infrastructure now...hospitals, fire, nursing homes, large businesses, rich neighborhoods, the major shelters. Equity is still possible though - the entire grid could fail later tonight.

e: Oh and the nuclear power plant in Bay City, which supplies about 1/3 of Houston, had to scram their reactors an hour ago to prevent a meltdown.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 16, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I'm sorry sir but I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate your homeowner's license.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

do you just borrow your wife's tools then?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I haven't needed to do wiring work, haven't needed a sawzall or a tack hammer, a shop vac or knee pads. I have a 7 foot ladder.

I buy tools as I need em and I haven't needed them in 3.5 years.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Leperflesh posted:

You need a ten foot ladder, a sawzall, an outlet tester, a copy of the Black & Decker guide to home wiring, a tack hammer, a claw hammer... hey, have you decided on which 18v battery ecosystem you're going with yet? Ryobi is the home depot one and it's fine for homeowners, lots of people swear by bosch or milwaukee, definitely don't get the black & decker ones (they make a good book about wiring but everything else they sell is garbo). You're gonna want a shop vac, maybe a power washer, a squeegee, get yourself some knee pads/pucks if you have a crawlspace, think about what sorts of shovels your yard/driveway/weather conditions call for. Got grass? Any bushes? The Fiscars shears are fine, maybe consider some loppers, hedge shears, or some of the power tool options in that arena, I'm assuming you're already thinking about the lawnmower and/or string trimmer to go with.

Welcome to home ownership, the above represents some fraction of your first two month's purchases, not a full list, but it'll get ya started.

Interesting list, thanks! I have about half of the stuff on there since I'm in a rental house and handle yardwork myself, just a question about whether I want to upgrade the cheaper stuff I have. A couple of ryobi devices but I have few enough things that I could probably swap systems if it's worthwhile.

Appreciate you writing this out, definitely some things to add to the shopping list

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

hifi posted:

do you just borrow your wife's tools then?

Labor is what the help is for

Also here’s some snow zoomies

https://mobile.twitter.com/ptdefiancezoo/status/1361417266831585282?s=21

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

The only thing I need is the wiring book...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I must be on the same circuit as something important because I still have power but outside of my street the rest of the neighborhood doesn't

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

dirty shrimp money posted:

Or straight up deaths from exposure inside people's homes. This poo poo is legal crime.

The state's cutting more customers shortly, going down to 1/3 of meters. Pretty much down to circuits with critical infrastructure now...hospitals, fire, nursing homes, large businesses, rich neighborhoods, the major shelters. Equity is still possible though - the entire grid could fail later tonight.

e: Oh and the nuclear power plant in Bay City, which supplies about 1/3 of Houston, had to scram their reactors an hour ago to prevent a meltdown.

We’ve been p lucky to be in a part of town that’s had power stay on so far and it’s def not a rich part of town. Never seen weather like this before in all my time living here.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm watching The Wall on NBC and it's hosted by Chris Hardwick. If that name sounds familiar it's because he was accused of being an incredibly lovely and abusive husband.

I guess he rehabbed his image just enough to get the gig.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I'm watching The Wall on NBC and it's hosted by Chris Hardwick. If that name sounds familiar it's because he was accused of being an incredibly lovely and abusive husband.

I guess he rehabbed his image just enough to get the gig.

He was specifically a lovely abusive boyfriend to SA poster pilot IIRC

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
He produces the show. Did anything of consequence actually happen to him? Seems like he’s still doing his podcast and whatnot.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 16, 2021

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
And he’s a talentless hack on top of being a lovely person. I wish he would go away.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Chris Hardwick sucks rear end, is unfunny and is a psychical and mental abuser. gently caress him.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Intruder posted:

He was specifically a lovely abusive boyfriend to SA poster pilot IIRC
Huh, had no idea he was involved with someone on SA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

He produces the show. Did anything of consequence actually happen to him? Seems like he’s still doing his podcast and whatnot.

He got dropped from The Talking Dead for a few weeks then Hollywood did its thing

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

GD_American posted:

I was almost sent there. I was saved by a literal, honest to god, actual coin flip that I didn't find out about until a month later.

From the loser.

Holy poo poo need more info

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

We’ve been p lucky to be in a part of town that’s had power stay on so far and it’s def not a rich part of town. Never seen weather like this before in all my time living here.

I live down the street from a fire station; I think that's the only reason I haven't gone dark. This is easily the worst weather I've seen in 38 years living here. This is way worse than Harvey in terms of the raw number of people affected, and arguably more dangerous.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How it started
https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1189236086767259655?s=20

How it's going
https://twitter.com/ERCOT_ISO/status/1361215084010352644?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
We're doing rolling blackouts here which is better than long blackouts for places. But I'm quite annoyed that I can't seem to easily find a map and schedule.

If you're planning it let us know the plan.

e: oh the company's site says it's not doing that at the moment, so I guess we'll see. They did/said they were going to earlier.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 16, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A US senator unironically citing a babylon bee article?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Holy poo poo need more info

That's like 90% of the story. I was qualified on a satellite terminal that had just started being fielded, so the battalion only had a handful of operators. They needed someone attached to 1-4 Cavalry for the Fallujah push, and it was between me and a guy in Tikrit. A coin was flipped in our SYSCON.

I ran into the guy a month later in our dining facility, he had lost 20 pounds since I saw him pre-deployment and had the body language of a pile of dirty laundry. I asked where he had been and he told me, and very unhappily told me. And about the bullet I had missed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Intruder posted:

A US senator unironically citing a babylon bee article?

Ted Cruz did it last week.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So my boss shared this on Teams about four hours ago:

quote:

Happening now, in the middle of the winter storm: A water main broke on Green Bay Rd (1 block over from us). While repairing the break, they caused a gas leak, and the truck and generator they were using caught fire:

The neighbors across the street (first photo) have lost power, but we’re still online… for now. We’re hearing no injuries, and no houses affected yet.

Then followed up with this video a while later:

quote:

Current Update
https://i.imgur.com/48IQxKq.mp4
“See, the problem is your road is on fire…”

The flaming gas coming out of the manhole is like a fire geyser in the road.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So my boss shared this on Teams about four hours ago:

Then followed up with this video a while later:

The flaming gas coming out of the manhole is like a fire geyser in the road.

:stare:

poo poo, I recognize that street. My aunt and uncle live like 3 blocks from there

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Glumslinger posted:

:stare:

poo poo, I recognize that street. My aunt and uncle live like 3 blocks from there

https://patch.com/illinois/highlandpark/flaming-inferno-bursts-broken-gas-line-highland-park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Mother Jones had this decently researched, but overreaching piece on the move away from gas stoves in new construction.

https://www.motherjones.com/environ...e=pocket-newtab

I kind of laughed at the whole "America was fooled into thinking gas cooks better", which somehow doesn't mention the entire restaurant industry that also apparently got fooled too