Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dead gay comedy forums posted:

given what even non-communists are willing to do with scalpers in this case, my previous commentary is somewhat very loving charitable

capitalists hate price gouging the most because it is an obvious necessary unextractable part of capitalism that everyone universally considers bad, which really just means that capitalism itself is bad. capitalists hate it when you point out that their terrible stupid system sucks

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sleep with the vicious posted:

Efficient market hypothermia

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Stereotype posted:

capitalists hate price gouging the most because it is an obvious necessary unextractable part of capitalism that everyone universally considers bad, which really just means that capitalism itself is bad. capitalists hate it when you point out that their terrible stupid system sucks

they only hate it if they aren't the ones doing iy

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Requoting because this was an engrossing post about comix/IP's past that might've gotten buried:

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I saw this same kind of thing happen in the 90's to comic books. Comic shows in the 80's and previous had been pretty small affairs, largely done out of churches and the occasional small town convention center with bigger shows in metropolitan areas. This exploded as speculation took the comics world hard. All the bullshit that my dad had been collecting for decades out of just liking comics suddenly was worth shitloads of money. While you did have tons of people who just wanted to fill out their collections because this was largely pre-internet in terms of comics uploads and people liked their stories, you also had speculators and they spent shitloads of money on really, really dumb poo poo. And I remember how my dad sold comics to these idiots at about uh...I'd say it easily got as high as 10,000% markup at some points, though 500% markup was pretty solid.

At these shows were the artists, writers, editors and even inkers for the comic trade. My dad would find comics in the quarter box or maybe the fifty cent or (gasp) the dollar box, where everything was a quarter or fifty cents or a dollar and buy everything where said people were signing autographs. I, not even a teenager, would be given money to stand in line to get signatures while my dad ran the tables where we sold autographed copies of people who were not appearing at the show as well as regular long boxes of comics to people who just wanted to fill out their collections. These autographs were of course approved by (insert my dad's business name here) which was literally just my dad and myself sticking little triangular pieces of paper with some text that said (business name) authenticated these signatures into the sealed comics. That was it. I stuffed tens of thousands of those little pieces of paper into plastic comic book sleeves along with said comic. At ten years old I was authenticating comics that this or that person signed this thing and the process was just ran out of my dad's living room. They had signed it. I'd been there when they did as I got most of them signed. Definitely true. But this turned a comic that would linger in a box for years into a collector's item. We would sell these to people genuinely interested in comics like regular collectors and little kids and they'd pay a couple extra bucks to bring home a signed copy. That was cool. That was the 500% markup. But the people who snapped these up the fastest were the speculators and they would pay stupid prices for signatures.

I remember how the trip to California from the east coast was paid for by getting twenty signatures of Jim Lee signing his Wild C.A.T.S. #1 comic. Ten each, myself and my dad, because limits, standing in line for two hours. That covered meals, plane tickets and the hotel room and my dad made a profit for the rest of the show while I got to meet the people who made my favorite comics and I got to talk to them. And it got to the point where I got to know some of them on a first name basis, which was really cool for a preteen. All on the backs of speculators paying for a comic that over the years has been canceled over five times. Even I knew Wild C.A.T.S. was dumb bullshit, but the speculators ate that poo poo up.

Later on we grabbed a copy of Rai 9, another Image comic, which was inked in black with a sharpie by one of the dealers (guy who sold poo poo, not a creative) and the sigs were in silver and gold pen. Speculators loved silver and gold pen, you don't even know, it meant extra zeroes on the comic for dumbass speculators. My dad's friend Glen got "signatures" from comics luminaries like Stevie Wonder and Adolph Hitler. So many signatures on that Rai 9 black. What's a Rai 9 black? Oh, it's super rare, you speculator trash, you wouldn't believe. Not sharpied at all. Wizard magazine doesn't even know about it. It's signed by everyone. EVERYONE. And by the time they start asking about the signatures, they get that they're being made fun of and gently caress off. That stayed up there for years as bait to gently caress with people and it was funny each time some speculator asked about it.

I remember the end of the comics bubble. I was at one of the larger comics businesses. The bubble had popped and this guy was sitting on tens of thousands of Silver Surfer with a chrome cover. The comics are worthless. Speculators went on to the next thing. So they're ripping the chrome cover off the comic to get the tiny amount of scrap value because the comic is worthless. It was like we were shucking corn. We harvested the chrome cover and discarded the worthless story because Silver Surfer has always and will always suck rear end, and we took the slightly valuable chrome to sell to a scrap dealer. And looking back, it was a good moment, because I could go back to caring about what was in the covers instead of the signatures on them.

Speculation comes and goes, but if you can make money off these idiots, do it. They have so much money and they are so dumb.

MEGA THREAD RETARD
Jan 26, 2021

by vyelkin
COVID + climate change + gas price spike + paralyzed government with ineffectual leadership

All we need are barbarian raids and we're doing the whole fall of Rome

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/...ingawful.com%2F

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

soup. posted:

COVID + climate change + gas price spike + paralyzed government with ineffectual leadership

All we need are barbarian raids and we're doing the whole fall of Rome

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/...ingawful.com%2F

climbing oil prices is a great way to actually gently caress the ENTIRE economy harder so lol lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

we talking about oil prices
https://twitter.com/JasonMBrodsky/status/1361123949938171906?s=20

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

karl marx warping in the time bubble, shouting, putting sunglasses: "THE ACCELERATION! WHAT YEAR IS IT?"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Glad I gassed up sunday lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Midnight update on Texas power grid. Currently 4.2 million customers are outaged:

Generation capacity has not recovered and is in fact still declining:

It appears that this drop in supply has mostly been made up through outaging additional customers.

The forecasts for tomorrow indicate that demand will again exceed supply for the entire day, and as we've seen from yesterday the generation forecasts have consistently been optimistic:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Funny to think that so few homes are heated by nat gas in America's own petrostate

Like, your stove and even your fridge might run off of propane if you're in the counrry but the heat is still electric lol

Got my heat cranked to 70 thanks to God's gas here in Denver, a civilized place with ubiquitous natural gas heating

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 07:20 on Feb 16, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Zeno-25 posted:

Funny to think that so few homes are heated by nat gas in America's own petrostate

Like, your stove and even your fridge might run off of propane if you're in the counrry but the heat is still electric lol

Seems really weird here in the rest of the South where everything runs on cheap gas that possibly can

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

wanna know the actual reason?

it seems poorish

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Zeno-25 posted:

Got my heat cranked to 70 thanks to God's gas here in Denver, a civilized place with ubiquitous natural gas heating

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

oh well apartment has entered sub-50 degree mark. rip

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

electric heaters are cheaper upfront and require less maintenance. if on an average year you only run the heat a couple days a year cheaping out makes sense

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

electric heaters are cheaper upfront and require less maintenance. if on an average year you only run the heat a couple days a year cheaping out makes sense

capitalism wins again. don't worry cold people dying of hypothermia: we saved some money a few years ago! well not you, rich people saved the money.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

soup. posted:

While you're sitting inside posting, I'm out there on the back of a truck firing chunks of frozen natural gas out of a t shirt cannon directly into homes, saving lives

soup, I usually reply to everything you say with a simple "gently caress you"

but this one made me laugh.

Appreciate that.

MEGA THREAD RETARD
Jan 26, 2021

by vyelkin

AppleNippleBOB posted:

soup, I usually reply to everything you say with a simple "gently caress you"

but this one made me laugh.

Appreciate that.

I'm sorry I piss you off, it's not intentional

MEGA THREAD RETARD
Jan 26, 2021

by vyelkin

soup. posted:

I'm sorry I piss you off, it's not intentional

gently caress you

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think all that climate disaster will do is make people realize how disposable they actually are in America

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think all that climate disaster will do is make people realize how disposable they actually are in America

if covid didn't do it, then I don't think climate change will

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
maybe not, i mean, the income gap, loss of healthcare access, covid, and literally everything else has failed to do that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
surely its an accident that all these things are killing us and those clowns in washington arent doing anything. surely they realize if we all die we can't vote for them

or vote against them

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

yeah I wasn't trying to be glib or anything

I think Americans have been taught that we're the most important people on Earth and that life here is super valuable and good. it's hard to imagine what's going to break through that without just utterly crushing the American identity in general.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

someone should just tell texas they need to put a few more Methane Extractors on coastal sites and spin up another Natural Gas Plant. They might need to up their Scientist population a bit but that's easy enough with another Neuro-Enhancer trade route from the moon :shrug:

elementary really

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

Midnight update on Texas power grid. Currently 4.2 million customers are outaged:

Generation capacity has not recovered and is in fact still declining:

It appears that this drop in supply has mostly been made up through outaging additional customers.

The forecasts for tomorrow indicate that demand will again exceed supply for the entire day, and as we've seen from yesterday the generation forecasts have consistently been optimistic:

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/TravisABC13/status/1361528971301711874

https://twitter.com/BillButt1icker/status/1361528301920137218

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
if we'd spent that money on redundancy in the grid we'd have had less to spend on other things. what if we hadn't bought any food? everyone would be dead.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

yeah I wasn't trying to be glib or anything

I think Americans have been taught that we're the most important people on Earth and that life here is super valuable and good. it's hard to imagine what's going to break through that without just utterly crushing the American identity in general.

im just trying to be optimistic about the upcoming hyper death

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
how much longer is the texas cold wave going to last for?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
in the long term, forever

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

redleader posted:

how much longer is the texas cold wave going to last for?

thursday lol

MEGA THREAD RETARD
Jan 26, 2021

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/atxhobogrl/status/1361568388372439042?s=19

https://twitter.com/NWSSacramento/status/1361556697026760707?s=19

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

HookedOnChthonics posted:

someone should just tell texas they need to put a few more Methane Extractors on coastal sites and spin up another Natural Gas Plant. They might need to up their Scientist population a bit but that's easy enough with another Neuro-Enhancer trade route from the moon :shrug:

elementary really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj3EdeHi7N4

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i had some kind of half dream last night in which i realized that if the triangle shirt factory inferno happened today there would be no consequence

MEGA THREAD RETARD
Jan 26, 2021

by vyelkin

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i had some kind of half dream last night in which i realized that if the triangle shirt factory inferno happened today there would be no consequence

Ghost ship

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
eagerly looking up industrial accidents so i can buy the dip

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007