Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

First thing to actually make me laugh in this thread in a long time. Why do we always lose the funny ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows Bonus Tuesday page!

Note the initials on the tree in the first panel "SW :love: JF", probably carved their by Shauna and Jack when they were dating in Case of the Simple Soul

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Puffer-puffer.

Great, now I'm hearing the slow piano music.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Also, I looked and it sure seems like we're in for a whole week of Zits "canceled for penguin shaming" comics.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

I don't suppose anyone knows of a decent way to create a font by just smacking in the characters from an image?
It would be kind of nice to have a moomintext font, if only so that edits don't require laboriously copypasting letters around.

( I know adobe showed off an 'ai' tool to make/generate fonts from images, but like a ton of their products it ended up being vaporware, or folded into some obscure menu in a random one of their programs, never to see the light of day again.)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think it sucks that Zits seems to be going in hard on the "people get CANCELLED on social media for HARMLESS JOKES" angle but I also emphatically don't think the practice of social media ostracizement is such a force of good in the world that it's self-evidently beyond reproach and even the mildest of lampooning.

It's almost like immediate backlash against something divorced from context is the exact same thing that the strip might be making fun of

(Now that I've given it my approval, I'm fully expecting today's strip be like "Wow! Ben Shapiro!" "Hi, Kid From Zits, I'm here to back you up on this subject.")

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

goatface posted:

Puffer-puffer.

Great, now I'm hearing the slow piano music.

dogdirt...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Talk about nailing your timing.

[for future lurkers, Texas has no power right now due to freak ice storms]

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

Texas ice storms
:stare:
Yikes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cathy - Feb 25+26, 1977

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 16, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 16, 1999)

Garfield Classic (June 16, 1989)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy - Feb 25+26, 1977

People - her friends and family - really just dump on Cathy all of the time don't they. Is there a single comic where Andrea is being nice to her and not just harping on her for something?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Basic moominfont v0.1: I used Calligraphr and it was pretty simple, might add variations and tweak the character spacing and etc some other time.

Only has basic A-Z + some punctuation.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iemx2s04xyc240q/Moominish_90-Regular.ttf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjkswcarzzyrjsv/Moominish_90-Regular.otf?dl=0

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell (August 23-27, 1999)

But opossums are omnivores and predate quite a bit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
*kicks feet up on desk*

Spud is the best character from every comic posted in this thread. You can't change my mind.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

But opossums are omnivores and predate quite a bit.

Don't look for logic in these comics crabdad

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Ghostlight posted:

he's calling them out for attempting to prank him by swapping instruments between themselves because that was a thing they did in movies about college in the 1960s.
Not that that it makes it any more relevant in the year 2021, but it was kind of funny when Nirvana did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzRAZ1uS-Ao

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

I'm giving Zits the benefit of the doubt for now. Stuff like "you should be cancelled for putting pineapple on pizza" is just an unfunny joke you see in a ton of places, including this forum.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think the strips with the.............children...? teeeeeens? young adults????? in mammlia are my least favorite

they're probably the least interesting characters in the strip and even when they're older they still just look like little goblins

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Kavak posted:

First thing to actually make me laugh in this thread in a long time. Why do we always lose the funny ones?

“my middle name is earl” had me cackling

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Wow, can’t believe how long Zits took to prepare its argument in defense of Jam Esallen.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SubNat posted:

Basic moominfont v0.1: I used Calligraphr and it was pretty simple, might add variations and tweak the character spacing and etc some other time.

Only has basic A-Z + some punctuation.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iemx2s04xyc240q/Moominish_90-Regular.ttf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjkswcarzzyrjsv/Moominish_90-Regular.otf?dl=0
Holy crap how have I never heard of this?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I'm not sure this is necessary, but MW just took a really dark turn, so I'm spoilering it for violence and animal abuse.

This is way beyond "He used to trip me sometimes."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I hate Buck so much.

Andertoons

"Dance like nobody's watching!"

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WHAT THE gently caress MARY WORTH

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I don't trust Zits writer to handle this cancellation joke in his comic well. Remember that time Jeremy got super jealous of his girlfriend hanging out with other guys and we all thought it might lead to Jeremy growing up from it, only for Zits to drop the whole thing like a hot potato? The same thing's probably gonna happen with this bit.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Don't be a creep to a little kid, Rauno.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I'm not sure this is necessary, but MW just took a really dark turn, so I'm spoilering it for violence and animal abuse.

Yeah, uh, this whole thing suddenly turned to 11, huh? :stare:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Holy crap how have I never heard of this?

Because the internet is giant and it's super easy to miss even relevant things.

It was pretty simple and nice to use, just set up which characters to set up. Download the template, copy over the letters from comic strips in photoshop, then upload template and it was done.
It's got support for variations as well. Aside from that I haven't tried going deeper into customizing stuff like the kerning and etc.

That basic moominfont probably only took me around 10-20 or so minutes, mostly spent hunting down all the letters, and copying them over.

Seems like it would be great for re-making other comic strip letterings into fonts atleast, but the thread isn't as edit-heavy as it used to be.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Holy loving poo poo mary worth :stare:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Holy everloving poo poo, Mary Worth, I can't stop laughing

That moment is going to be used in edits for the rest of time

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Moy looks over several carefully arranged research articles, highlighted book passages and letters from the editor crumpled in rash anger. She looks to Brigman and the two share a flash of understanding, a spark in the eyes. Only an artist/writer duo could understand the twin psyche of creativity and madness necessary to continue a legacy strip. Rivera was brash, boorish, uncultured. Exploding speedboats had no place in the papers... yet she was getting results.

"You want a battered wife story!? WATCH THIS!!!" The two cackled as Brigman's pen flew across the tablet, drawing what lay beyond human understanding out of the void and into our physical realm.

---

This makes the earlier strip about missing him after his death really funny in hindsight. :allears:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 16, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Gonna echo the WHAT THE gently caress MARY WORTH sentiments here.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

There is so much wrong with it it is so wonderful

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Vargo posted:

Gonna echo the WHAT THE gently caress MARY WORTH sentiments here.

What even the gently caress.

"He used to trip me sometimes, was needlessly cruel to me, and gaslit me about it. Oh, and one time he shot my dog."

WHAT EVEN THE gently caress.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Attempted murder. The dog did a bodyguard dive!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

amigolupus posted:

I don't trust Zits writer to handle this cancellation joke in his comic well. Remember that time Jeremy got super jealous of his girlfriend hanging out with other guys and we all thought it might lead to Jeremy growing up from it, only for Zits to drop the whole thing like a hot potato? The same thing's probably gonna happen with this bit.

Plus, it's a lazy straw man version of what "cancel culture" (to the extent that it actually exists) is actually about : holding people responsible for their racist, homophobic, transphobic, pro-fash, etc behavior. I'm really disappointed that they chose that particular subject to cover, because Zits used to be one of the better strips on the comics page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Really burying the lede in Mary Worth here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mikl posted:

What even the gently caress.

"He used to trip me sometimes, was needlessly cruel to me, and gaslit me about it. Oh, and one time he shot my dog."

WHAT EVEN THE gently caress.

no no no no no no no no. he shot the dog while trying to shoot her