Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/TravisABC13/status/1361528971301711874?s=19

1.2 million people don't have power

The downtown skyline is big and bright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you guys are posting important serious stuff but I wanted to tell you about this idiot youtube video in which football players are dubbed with silly phrases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxdaYxunZXg

maybe it's just the 16 year special edition lagavulin talking but this is loving hilarious

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My wife has never seen LoTR and decided tonight she wanted to watch fellowship.

3hrs later: "literally nothing loving happened what the gently caress"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What did she think of "Speak, friend, and enter"?

I always hated that

Started season 2 of The Expanse not a fan of Naomi and Holden hooking up, there was never a hint of that between them

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

iwentdoodie posted:

Gandalf and Boromir die.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Leperflesh posted:

you guys are posting important serious stuff but I wanted to tell you about this idiot youtube video in which football players are dubbed with silly phrases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxdaYxunZXg

maybe it's just the 16 year special edition lagavulin talking but this is loving hilarious

Quicksand! AAAAA!!!

That got a big chuckle out of me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

Interesting list, thanks! I have about half of the stuff on there since I'm in a rental house and handle yardwork myself, just a question about whether I want to upgrade the cheaper stuff I have. A couple of ryobi devices but I have few enough things that I could probably swap systems if it's worthwhile.

Appreciate you writing this out, definitely some things to add to the shopping list

that was some top-of0the-head poo poo tho, but hopefully some of that stuff is useful

for spoeank, the tack hammer is for hanging pictures on the wall, it's nice for small tacks so you don't bend them, and it will fit in the junk drawer in the kitchen instead of having to go out to the garage for a big claw hammer

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I don't need a special hammer unless it's mjolnir

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Intruder posted:

What did she think of "Speak, friend, and enter"?

I always hated that

Started season 2 of The Expanse not a fan of Naomi and Holden hooking up, there was never a hint of that between them

It's a little surprising in the show - the books do a slightly better job of it. Holden has kind of dicked down anything with legs on the cant and she was always a little jealous

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

iwentdoodie posted:

We discover that Bilbo’s magic ring is the one ring created by Sauron which has the power to destroy Middle Earth.

Saruman betrays Gandalf, allies himself with Sauron and creates an army.

Frodo almost dies after being stabbed by the Nazgul but is saved by Arwen after an amazing chase scene.

We meet Elrond and get a bunch of exposition on why and how the ring must be destroyed. The fellowship is created.

We learn that an entire city/mine of dwarves was slain, get an incredible fight scene with orca and a cave troll. Frodo almost dies again.

Gandalf falls into shadow after fighting the Balrog.

We meet Galadriel, she resists the temptation to take the ring and gives a vision of what will happen if the fellowship fails.

Boromir’s entire character arc of betraying Frodo, then saving his life, then dying.

Merry and Pip are captured by the enemy.

Frodo and Sam break off from the fellowship and head off to Mordor alone.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Intruder posted:

https://twitter.com/TravisABC13/status/1361528971301711874?s=19

1.2 million people don't have power

The downtown skyline is big and bright

Clap clap clap clap

Deep in the heart of Texas!

(Hope you're safe dude)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

iwentdoodie posted:

About 2:45 in when we saw it in the theater, she turned to me and said "man these guys don't have a lot of time left to wrap all this up". I had to tell her it was a trilogy.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

iwentdoodie posted:

GD_American posted:

About 2:45 in when we saw it in the theater, she turned to me and said "man these guys don't have a lot of time left to wrap all this up". I had to tell her it was a trilogy.

Yeah, same thing happened to me when I saw it and was told it was part of a trilogy. Still pissed that I burned 3 hours only to be told "oh you have to watch another 6!" Never saw the rest of the trilogy.

I always wondered if I had gone in knowing it was the first part of a trilogy with pretty much no resolution or climax of it's own, would I still be annoyed.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Yeah, same thing happened to me when I saw it and was told it was part of a trilogy. Still pissed that I burned 3 hours only to be told "oh you have to watch another 6!" Never saw the rest of the trilogy.

I always wondered if I had gone in knowing it was the first part of a trilogy with pretty much no resolution or climax of it's own, would I still be annoyed.

And you've never seen the other two? Holy moly. You should maybe consider doing that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LOTR is easily the best movie trilogy in existence. I know there aren’t that many trilogies out there, but it’s head and shoulders above the rest.

Fellowship has a somewhat slow start, but I don’t know how anyone can say nothing happens, unless they slept through Moria. Maybe they should have put in Bombadil?

I just finished reading the book again, so I am being particularly fond of LOTR right now.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
There are tons of trilogies and Toy Story is clearly the best one

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

There are tons of trilogies and Toy Story is clearly the best one

Isn't it a quadrilogy

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
Man I hope power comes back today. Another night like the last two is going to be rough.

I would kill for a hot meal.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

ZuluDashOne posted:

Man I hope power comes back today. Another night like the last two is going to be rough.

How about some hot dish?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Let's hop in the ol way back machine

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1303364789603889154?s=19

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

You need a ten foot ladder, a sawzall, an outlet tester, a copy of the Black & Decker guide to home wiring, a tack hammer, a claw hammer... hey, have you decided on which 18v battery ecosystem you're going with yet? Ryobi is the home depot one and it's fine for homeowners, lots of people swear by bosch or milwaukee, definitely don't get the black & decker ones (they make a good book about wiring but everything else they sell is garbo). You're gonna want a shop vac, maybe a power washer, a squeegee, get yourself some knee pads/pucks if you have a crawlspace, think about what sorts of shovels your yard/driveway/weather conditions call for. Got grass? Any bushes? The Fiscars shears are fine, maybe consider some loppers, hedge shears, or some of the power tool options in that arena, I'm assuming you're already thinking about the lawnmower and/or string trimmer to go with.

Welcome to home ownership, the above represents some fraction of your first two month's purchases, not a full list, but it'll get ya started.

For tools I am very much in the mindset of buy as you go, but when you do by, go big. Get a big ratchet set because it will have screwdrivers with all the tips you could need, wrenches , an allen key set and a bunch of other things you will never need until you do. For a ladder get a little giant adjustable, they are great and last forever. My oldest one has to be 25 years old now and still rocks out hard. Claw hammer. I always carry a leatherman Surge on me at all times and I use it nearly everyday. Tape measurer. 2 ft level.

Everything else is how far are you going with home improvement things. Milwaukee M12 are great light drills that I use even in contracting. M18 for everything else.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Timby posted:

Based on my three-week hospital stay, Comedy Central's lineup is:

6 - 8 a.m. - Either Futurama or Parks & Rec, depending on the day of the week
8 a.m. - 3 p.m. - Some mix of South Park, The Office or The Cleveland Show
3 - 10 p.m. - The Office
10 p.m. - The Daily Show
10:30 - midnight - South Park

From what I remember when I was business traveling: yes. Having Futurama on was the one enjoyable part of getting up at 5:30.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

i follow the teachings of Sam the Cooking Guy

I see you fellow cox subscriber that occasionally landed on the cableco's filler channel

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

Samadhi posted:

How about some hot dish?

:hmmyes:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Wife and I just decided to watch the LOTR extended editions this weekend on the new couch. Love it when a plan comes together

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

What is hot dish? Is it tater tot casserole or is it a catch all term for any kind of casserole?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
How many hobbits do you think you could gently caress up before they finally beat you down?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The gundam movies are the best trilogy

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

Braksgirl posted:

What is hot dish? Is it tater tot casserole or is it a catch all term for any kind of casserole?

I'm not entirely sure myself since my family isn't from MN originally but I think it's just a tater tot casserole.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

ZuluDashOne posted:

Per the news only 10 to 15% of folks are getting their lights back today.

Texas has failed at the most basic caveman level of governance - keep the fires going in the caves. Whole drat thing should be thrown out.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Braksgirl posted:

Its a casserole, just regional slang from MN.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Raku posted:

The gundam movies are the best trilogy

Are we factoring in the classic late 90’s dub with British Bright, “Gun-drat!”, and whatever the hell Sayla’s accent was?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

GD_American posted:

Mother Jones had this decently researched, but overreaching piece on the move away from gas stoves in new construction.

https://www.motherjones.com/environ...e=pocket-newtab

I kind of laughed at the whole "America was fooled into thinking gas cooks better", which somehow doesn't mention the entire restaurant industry that also apparently got fooled too

Meanwhile my house is without power but I can still cook food by just using a stick lighter to start up my gas stove.

Checkmate, libs. :agesilaus:

Why am I feeling dizzy all of a sudden? What do you mean I should open my Windows? It's cold outside!

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

dirty shrimp money posted:

Per the news only 10 to 15% of folks are getting their lights back today.

Texas has failed at the most basic caveman level of governance - keep the fires going in the caves. Whole drat thing should be thrown out.

Fantastic. Guess I'll spend most of the day in my car driving around again.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

GD_American posted:

drat near same thing. "Wait, when do they go to mordor? What? No way am I watching six more hours of this poo poo." She basically came to the Clerks 2 opinion on it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

If I ever sell my truck I'm going to claim it has ice cold air conditioning and use this image.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hot Diggity! posted:

How many hobbits do you think you could gently caress up before they finally beat you down?

I want you to know that reading this on the awful ap on iPhone formats this so that it says “how many hobbits do you think you could gently caress” on its own line.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Hot Diggity! posted:

Not many, they are short yes but look stout and could probably wreck your balls and kidney areas with strikes. Maybe 1

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want you to know that reading this on the awful ap on iPhone formats this so that it says “how many hobbits do you think you could gently caress” on its own line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

GD_American posted:

Mother Jones had this decently researched, but overreaching piece on the move away from gas stoves in new construction.

https://www.motherjones.com/environ...e=pocket-newtab

I kind of laughed at the whole "America was fooled into thinking gas cooks better", which somehow doesn't mention the entire restaurant industry that also apparently got fooled too

quote:

Shelly Miller, a University of Colorado, Boulder, environmental engineer who has studied indoor air quality for decades, explains that household gas combustion is essentially the same as in a car. “Cooking,” she adds, “is the number one way you’re polluting your home. It is causing respiratory and cardiovascular health problems; it can exacerbate flu and asthma and COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease] in children.” Without ventilation, “you’re basically living in this toxic soup.”

The industry also claims that proper ventilation mitigates some of the risks of cooking with gas. That’s true, but mostly impractical: Many American families can’t afford to install an exhaust hood, a chimney-like vent that sucks up the emissions and releases them outside, and there’s certainly no regulation requiring it. Instead, most homes just have fans above the stove that recirculate the polluted air inside the home, or nothing at all. Because of dated building codes and the unregulated market, low-income Americans have to put up with gas filling their homes with invisible pollutants in cramped spaces.

the author doesn't seem to get that cooking regardless of energy source is bad for you.

restaurants depend on a lot more power than home cooking so they might be different but if manufacturers could build a legitimate professional/semi-professional electric range that wasn't a glass top or the iron spiral thing i'd switch