Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zorilla posted:

Yes and yes. To review, the DisplayPort input jumbles my windows around when it goes to sleep unless I introduce a registry hack, and both HDMI inputs (the regular one and the MHL one) fail to recognize that the output is in sleep mode and not unplugged.

Look for power management settings on the monitor. A lot of them do this now because they want to entirely shut down the controller for vampire power draw reasons but as a result cause this stupid poo poo.

If there are no such settings, you're SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recommendations for a 4 x 27" monitor stand/mount setup?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for a 4 x 27" monitor stand/mount setup?

in what layout? 1x4 or 2x2, or a triple on bottom and one on top?

biggest monitor stand I think I've seen is a triple, but you could do two dual stands, or start a second row (you could set yourself up for two triples and leave yourself space for another 2 mounts on the top row).

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

in what layout? 1x4 or 2x2, or a triple on bottom and one on top?

biggest monitor stand I think I've seen is a triple, but you could do two dual stands, or start a second row (you could set yourself up for two triples and leave yourself space for another 2 mounts on the top row).

Oh duh, yes! 2x2 would be perfect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently this is qualifies as "large cosmetic imperfections on computer casing".

Maybe it happened during transport, but I don't see any other "imperfections". I'm a little frustrated. It took three weeks to get here because Amazon lost the first one, and this is what I end up with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This thing's junk right? Cause Amazon said I don't have to return it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah broken monitor panel is game over, they're getting you to throw away their e-waste for them

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Ho-lee gently caress lol

Sorry to hear that went so lovely

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I’m pretty cold on Amazon warehouse deals in general, knocking 10% off a new item and not getting the warranty, potentially not getting the accessories, etc is just not a good deal, even assuming someone hasn’t just swapped the item with a similar one that slipped through the returns department.

But with monitors there’s just too many pitfalls already. It triples the chance of shipping damage (the monitor has now done three legs of shipping), and backlight bleed or dead pixels are a significant driver for returns. Even on something like GPUs you are placing yourself at elevated risk of coil whine or getting just a terrible overclocker that someone else decided to take a mulligan on.

All in all I just don’t see the value proposition being there to save 50 bucks on a $400 monitor. I guess if the price is really right then sure, if it were half off then yeah I’d take the gamble, so we’re really just haggling about the price, but in general Amazon Warehouse doesn’t give you good bang for the buck.

And I’m someone who used to really advocate the Acer Recertified monitors and so on. Because it was significantly cheaper and someone at Acer was at least looking them over.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 15, 2021

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And a couple of years ago, the expectation with high-refresh-rate monitors was literally that you had to return three or more monitors before you got a good panel. If there's one purchase I'll be sure to get good warranty on, it's a monitor. Probably a PS5 after that.

I'm assuming AUO is much better these days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’m pretty cold on Amazon warehouse deals in general, knocking 10% off a new item and not getting the warranty, potentially not getting the accessories, etc is just not a good deal, even assuming someone hasn’t just swapped the item with a similar one that slipped through the returns department.

But with monitors there’s just too many pitfalls already. It triples the chance of shipping damage (the monitor has now done three legs of shipping), and backlight bleed or dead pixels are a significant driver for returns. Even on something like GPUs you are placing yourself at elevated risk of coil whine or getting just a terrible overclocker that someone else decided to take a mulligan on.

All in all I just don’t see the value proposition being there to save 50 bucks on a $400 monitor. I guess if the price is really right then sure, if it were half off then yeah I’d take the gamble, so we’re really just haggling about the price, but in general Amazon Warehouse doesn’t give you good bang for the buck.

And I’m someone who used to really advocate the Acer Recertified monitors and so on. Because it was significantly cheaper and someone at Acer was at least looking them over.

Well in this case it was over $100 less.

In a follow-up chat session I was told I do have to return the item and that my refund hadn't actually been filed. Great customer service, Amazon. Now I just hope they actually have it marked appropriately, and don't charge me for returning a broken item.

Also I went through four CS representatives because they would disconnect (the issue for sure wasn't on my end)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
e: holy poo poo, very much wrong thread

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
have gaming monitors gotten any better in the last 8 years? I got a ASUS VS247H-P back in 2013 and I'm wondering if a new monitor in the same price range would reduce the blurring or be more responsive at all

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

space marine todd posted:

Oh duh, yes! 2x2 would be perfect.

So I’ve used this before, but for a 1 by 2 not 2x2: VIVO Quad LCD Computer Monitor Mount Free Standing Heavy Duty Desk Stand, Fully Adjustable, Holds 4 Screens up to 30 inches STAND-V004F https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGSI5WS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FE99SF9QRYWSJ36TAYHM

It’s not great or anything though, but I imagine you’ll probably want something generally like that— a pole with the arms sticking out.

I’ve since switched to using the Fully monitor arms, which I like a lot, but I’m only using the single monitor ones. They do apparently have a pole style mount which could work for four monitors: https://www.fully.com/fully-desk-mounted-monitor-arm.html

My impression is that there are cheaper alternatives to Fully which are basically as good or maybe even basically the same OEM, I just don’t know which ones they are.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

NotNut posted:

have gaming monitors gotten any better in the last 8 years? I got a ASUS VS247H-P back in 2013 and I'm wondering if a new monitor in the same price range would reduce the blurring or be more responsive at all

It's an 8 year old 75hz TN. A modern gaming monitor is going to blow its doors off in terms of response time as well as doubling the refresh rate, and have hugely better color reproduction. VRR is also a gamechanger, not having to choose between tearing and awful vsync latency while also eliminating monitor-based judder is a huge win.That said, as far as price points there are a few options for 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors in the $160-200 range, but for value we mostly tend to point people to the 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors, most frequently the LG 27GL83A, which is $380 (can be had for significantly less from Amazon warehouse, which is worth the gamble since you can return it). As long as you have a 10 series or newer Nvidia GPU you can take advantage of Freesync.

e - having looked at RTings though, the Gigabyte M27Q looks really, really promising. Haven't seen any user reviews yet, but RTings is a very good review source and given Amazon's good return policy that would probably be my first pick for a monitor to buy right now as long as you don't mind the risk of being an early adopter and possibly running into some weirdness.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 15, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My wife has to return her monitor as she has changed jobs so I'm looking to buy a new monitor in order to demote my existing ones.

My 24inch 1080p Phillips monitor will become our work/laptop monitor, my 27inch QHD overclocked to 96Hz Korean Crossfire monitor will become my secondary monitor and I'm looking for a new primary monitor to replace that one.

When I bought the Crossfire years ago things like G-Sync and Freesync were a super premium but now they seem the norm so I'm a little confused, but I've read the last dozen or so pages and got a feel for what the market currently is.

I'm currently rocking a 980ti so i'm probably going to stick with 27inch 1440p. The LG monitors that people are recommending are slightly out of my price range at around AU$600 (I'm in Australia) so I've found this Gigabyte G27Q for AU$400 which is more my budget. It got listed as the "Best budget 1440p gaming monitor on rtings" but does anyone here have any experience with it (or have any further input based on the specs and/or my setup)?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That seems like an extremely good price for what it is, given the usual awful AUD prices.

Also you got me to look at RTings for the first time in a bit and drat their M27Q review is pretty positive. For US buyers I might be inclined to purchase that over a 27GL83A. It's fairly similar in most ways, has a slightly worse stand, but the contrast is MUCH better and it does have better low-refresh overdrive tuning. Given that it's also $50 cheaper... yeah I'm gonna go edit my last post. It's a bit cautionary because I haven't heard user reviews yet, but rtings is usually fairly reliable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

My wife has to return her monitor as she has changed jobs so I'm looking to buy a new monitor in order to demote my existing ones.

My 24inch 1080p Phillips monitor will become our work/laptop monitor, my 27inch QHD overclocked to 96Hz Korean Crossfire monitor will become my secondary monitor and I'm looking for a new primary monitor to replace that one.

When I bought the Crossfire years ago things like G-Sync and Freesync were a super premium but now they seem the norm so I'm a little confused, but I've read the last dozen or so pages and got a feel for what the market currently is.

I'm currently rocking a 980ti so i'm probably going to stick with 27inch 1440p. The LG monitors that people are recommending are slightly out of my price range at around AU$600 (I'm in Australia) so I've found this Gigabyte G27Q for AU$400 which is more my budget. It got listed as the "Best budget 1440p gaming monitor on rtings" but does anyone here have any experience with it (or have any further input based on the specs and/or my setup)?

Just want to point out that monitors with G-sync hardware are still expensive. Most G-sync monitors you'll see mentioned here are actually FreeSync monitors (where your gpu is responsible for syncing frames) that Nvidia officially support (but if I'm not mistaken, virtually any FreeSync monitor will work).

Second point, is that this feature isn't supported on 900 series gpus. Just fyi.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

K8.0 posted:

It's an 8 year old 75hz TN. A modern gaming monitor is going to blow its doors off in terms of response time as well as doubling the refresh rate, and have hugely better color reproduction. VRR is also a gamechanger, not having to choose between tearing and awful vsync latency while also eliminating monitor-based judder is a huge win.That said, as far as price points there are a few options for 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors in the $160-200 range, but for value we mostly tend to point people to the 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors, most frequently the LG 27GL83A, which is $380 (can be had for significantly less from Amazon warehouse, which is worth the gamble since you can return it). As long as you have a 10 series or newer Nvidia GPU you can take advantage of Freesync.

e - having looked at RTings though, the Gigabyte M27Q looks really, really promising. Haven't seen any user reviews yet, but RTings is a very good review source and given Amazon's good return policy that would probably be my first pick for a monitor to buy right now as long as you don't mind the risk of being an early adopter and possibly running into some weirdness.

well the one I have now is 144, not 75. and I have an AMD GPU. what does Freesync do?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Second point, is that this feature isn't supported on 900 series gpus. Just fyi.

I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. My current monitor doesn't even have it so it's not like it matters and I'll be due for an upgrade once 3070s aren't as insanely priced. Thanks! Guess I'll take the plunge.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Paul MaudDib posted:

i dunno, i did it, had to return it once and got another and the 4 days of not having a monitor was worth $50 to me. its not like they forced me to keep the first one

edit: at the time the monitor was out of stock in canada for weeks so it was my only option but i'd still probably have done the same thing if it weren't

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

NotNut posted:

well the one I have now is 144, not 75. and I have an AMD GPU. what does Freesync do?

Lol no it isn't

NotNut posted:

I have an AMD GPU. what does Freesync do?

Dynamically matches the refresh rate of your monitor to the frame rate delivered by the graphics card, eliminating stutter and tearing, making everything a billion times smoother

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 16, 2021

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Regarding the M27Q - reviews for it and similar monitors from Gigabyte ding it for not being able to rotate, but it looks like the stand just screws onto the vesa mount. If I wanted it permanently portrait mode, I can just mount it sideways right?

If so, I might buy that this week. I've been looking to upgrade, but my desk is too shallow to fit the LG everyone likes and still have room for anything else. The three inch difference in depth here will be significant.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lol no it isn't

I don't know what that means but the monitor was advertised as 144 refresh, and I have it at 144 refresh in my Windows 10 settings

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

I don't know what that means but the monitor was advertised as 144 refresh, and I have it at 144 refresh in my Windows 10 settings

The Asus VS247H-P has a maximum refresh of 75hz according to the specs. Either you have a different monitor or something weird is going on with your refresh information.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VS247HP/specifications/
https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-vs247h-p/

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

K8.0 posted:

I'm in Australia, but the pricing seems to be holding everywhere - the M27Q's predecessor, the G27Q (basically the same but 144Hz instead of 170Hz) is going cheap, selling for ~US$300 at Amazon and Newegg, and is essentially equivalent to the LG 27GL83A.

you ate my cat posted:

Regarding the M27Q - reviews for it and similar monitors from Gigabyte ding it for not being able to rotate, but it looks like the stand just screws onto the vesa mount. If I wanted it permanently portrait mode, I can just mount it sideways right?

This is exactly correct, and eerily enough, I just got my G27Q today, and did exactly that with it, next to my G34WQC:

Just need another arm for the ultrawide now, I had it on the one I have before the 27" arrived. I just used the screws it came with for the stand (seems to be the same stand for all these similar Gigabyte products, it sucks a bit but whatever), works great.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The Asus VS247H-P has a maximum refresh of 75hz according to the specs. Either you have a different monitor or something weird is going on with your refresh information.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/VS247HP/specifications/
https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-vs247h-p/

oh my bad I have a VG248. I was looking at the wrong Amazon order

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

tildes posted:

So I’ve used this before, but for a 1 by 2 not 2x2: VIVO Quad LCD Computer Monitor Mount Free Standing Heavy Duty Desk Stand, Fully Adjustable, Holds 4 Screens up to 30 inches STAND-V004F https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGSI5WS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FE99SF9QRYWSJ36TAYHM

It’s not great or anything though, but I imagine you’ll probably want something generally like that— a pole with the arms sticking out.

I’ve since switched to using the Fully monitor arms, which I like a lot, but I’m only using the single monitor ones. They do apparently have a pole style mount which could work for four monitors: https://www.fully.com/fully-desk-mounted-monitor-arm.html

My impression is that there are cheaper alternatives to Fully which are basically as good or maybe even basically the same OEM, I just don’t know which ones they are.

Thanks! This is really helpful. I don't need it to be super nice or anything; just reliable and not going to topple over. I love my Fully Monitor single monitor arms, but like you said, that pole mount doesn't seem much different from what else is out there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

NotNut posted:

Freesync is variable refresh rate (VRR). Lets the monitor delay refreshes until a new frame is available. With this and a framerate capped below the monitor's refresh rate, you get no tearing and minimal latency. You also get better frame pacing - assuming the game engine is capable of it, as most modern games are, the frames will be displayed evenly spaced apart rather than in a juddered manner. Freesync is the VRR standard AMD came up with, all remotely modern AMD GPUs support it while some people still have 9 series Nvidia GPUs that don't.

There's also a huge quality uplift from TN to IPS. A few high-end modern TNs aren't THAT far behind, but a TN monitor that old is going to get rear end blasted by a new IPS monitor in terms of color reproduction. Similarly, that monitor predates modern overdrive tuning and the like - you're likely to see significantly better pixel response, regardless of refresh rate. It's too old to have serious testing on it so I can't quantify the uplift, but it should be significant.

There's no question it's an upgrade and a significant one - especially going to 1440p. The question of whether it's worth it to you is up to you. It depends on if you still care about performance as much as you did when you were an early adopter of high refresh LCDs, and also depends on stuff like whether your GPU has the horsepower to drive 1440p at the framerates you want in the titles you want.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm looking for recommendations for a new gaming monitor for this build I'm putting together. I'm targeting high-refresh-rate 1440p but that's just because it seems like where the price/performance sweet spot is, and would be open to moving down to 1080p high-refresh rate if that seems better. I don't want larger than 27" because my desk is small and I'm close to the screen. I found this ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for $300... does that seem like a good deal or would you all recommend anything else?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Scythe posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a new gaming monitor for this build I'm putting together. I'm targeting high-refresh-rate 1440p but that's just because it seems like where the price/performance sweet spot is, and would be open to moving down to 1080p high-refresh rate if that seems better. I don't want larger than 27" because my desk is small and I'm close to the screen. I found this ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for $300... does that seem like a good deal or would you all recommend anything else?

I was specifically coming here to get this monitor's details for you, because I remembered that you'd previously been asking about a 1440p 144hz monitor that accepted USB-C input to connect your Macbook Pro, which this has, as verified by Rtings.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was specifically coming here to get this monitor's details for you, because I remembered that you'd previously been asking about a 1440p 144hz monitor that accepted USB-C input to connect your Macbook Pro, which this has, as verified by Rtings.

This looks really cool--the integrated KVM looks like it might be perfect for my use case. Thanks! (And thanks for your help in the other thread as well, have some more thinking to do before responding there.)

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

K8.0 posted:

Freesync is variable refresh rate (VRR). Lets the monitor delay refreshes until a new frame is available. With this and a framerate capped below the monitor's refresh rate, you get no tearing and minimal latency. You also get better frame pacing - assuming the game engine is capable of it, as most modern games are, the frames will be displayed evenly spaced apart rather than in a juddered manner. Freesync is the VRR standard AMD came up with, all remotely modern AMD GPUs support it while some people still have 9 series Nvidia GPUs that don't.

There's also a huge quality uplift from TN to IPS. A few high-end modern TNs aren't THAT far behind, but a TN monitor that old is going to get rear end blasted by a new IPS monitor in terms of color reproduction. Similarly, that monitor predates modern overdrive tuning and the like - you're likely to see significantly better pixel response, regardless of refresh rate. It's too old to have serious testing on it so I can't quantify the uplift, but it should be significant.

There's no question it's an upgrade and a significant one - especially going to 1440p. The question of whether it's worth it to you is up to you. It depends on if you still care about performance as much as you did when you were an early adopter of high refresh LCDs, and also depends on stuff like whether your GPU has the horsepower to drive 1440p at the framerates you want in the titles you want.

yeah I don't know about the 1440p thing. I guess I do need that resolution for the display to fill up most of my field of view and be almost-retinal. the main thing I'm after is just reducing the blurring. my holy grail for a monitor is one where I can move the camera around in a MMORPG and still read the nameplates

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Many pages ago someone linked to some new 32" 144hz 4k IPS monitors that were in the pipeline, what were they? Something like that with localized back dimming LEDs would be amazing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggyolk posted:

Many pages ago someone linked to some new 32" 144hz 4k IPS monitors that were in the pipeline, what were they? Something like that with localized back dimming LEDs would be amazing.

Acer PG32UQX and Acer X32. So far nothing, probably at least partially a factor of covid delays but they probably should be advancing sometime this year. Monitors run on their own timetable though, they release when they drat well feel like it (mostly due to panel availability problems).

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Acer PG32UQX and Acer X32. So far nothing, probably at least partially a factor of covid delays but they probably should be advancing sometime this year. Monitors run on their own timetable though, they release when they drat well feel like it (mostly due to panel availability problems).

drat, just looked up the X32 and Anandtech says MSRP will be $3,600 :monocle:

e: It is HDR 1400 though which is awesome. I have an OLED laptop and the contrast owns. Sounds like these will get close.

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 17, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
yeah the counterargument to "but OLEDs have burn in!!!1!!!!" is "lol but I can buy two loving OLED TVs for the price of one of these gaming monitors, so if it gets burn-in in two years I'll buy another".

the price is out of control on these new panels. Maybe at $1500-2k but not for the price of two OLEDs.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I'm not really sure where this would go, but I'm trying to use 4 monitors in a 2x2 setup (two LG g-sync monitors and two Lenovo ThinkVision work monitors) and a mouse+keyboard between my personal self-built Windows computer (RTX 3080 and a GTX 1080 Ti) and my work Windows laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga). Both sets of monitors have DisplayPort and HDMI. As for USB devices, I'd like to have at least four for my mouse, keyboard, webcam, and wireless headphones.

The work laptop won't be going anywhere; it's basically a desktop for all intents and purposes.

Are there 4 monitor KVM switches that can handle G-Sync? Or should I focus on a 2 display KVM switch for the work monitors if there isn't a KVM switch that can handle G-Sync? It would be a little annoying, but not a big deal to manually switch inputs for the gaming monitors.

Budget is $300.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 17, 2021

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is a virtual KVM an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

Is a virtual KVM an option?

Unfrotunately, no. My work laptop is incredibly locked down.