Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Inaba isn't quite a desolate town, but it's comparatively small and literally the only notable attraction before Junes set up was the Amagi Inn. I imagine Yasogami High is probably one of only maybe one to three schools in the entire town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Inaba is based on Yamanashi, which had a population of 35k in 2019.

Check out its train station.

Yamanashi has 12 public elementary schools and three public middle schools operated by the city government and two public high schools operated by the Yamanashi Prefectural Board of Education.

EDIT: but I note that if you look on Google Maps, Yamanashi and its surrounding towns seem to have formed a single urban area due to growth. Inaba seems like it'd be even smaller/more rural if it hasn't similarly coalesced with surrounding towns/villages.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 15, 2021

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

That actually did happen to us! It was pretty confusing, and we did end up looking up the correct answers to progress the story because we didn't feel like forwarding through a few minutes of cutscenes every time.

I think Harrow meant actually meeting Izanami and doing her dungeon at the very end of the game while you're saying your goodbyes. I always do 100% blind runs on my first playthroughs so I finished the game and just happily saved my clear NG+ save file without doing that so I never got to experience that part by myself until relatively recently.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Petiso posted:

I think Harrow meant actually meeting Izanami and doing her dungeon at the very end of the game while you're saying your goodbyes. I always do 100% blind runs on my first playthroughs so I finished the game and just happily saved my clear NG+ save file without doing that so I never got to experience that part by myself until relatively recently.

Yes, that's the part I meant. It's really hard to give spoiler-light advice on how to successfully get that ending. The best I can do is: on 3/20, if the game tells you you're done and it's time to go back to the Dojimas', say no.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah I did stumble on that spoiler while looking up some other stuff and gotta say: wow that's not intuitive, and I'm glad I did, haha

re: town size, I think a lot of my idea of what a truly lovely small town is is mostly cultural. Germany is so densely populated that many towns of 20-50k pop are more like extended suburbs of larger centers, but even those big cities rarely reach half a million. The second-biggest city, Hamburg, doesn't even have two million people. Munich doesn't crack the 1.5 mil mark. Then if I look at a town next to it, say Dachau, under 50k people but people would call me crazy here if I called that a tiny backwater - it's next to Munich after all, and probably half of the people living in Dachau work in Munich, with a travel time of less than 30 min.

But I've actually been in Japan, and I can see how it's different. The city-cities are big, with one like Fukuoka that you barely hear about overseas easily overshooting Munich in population, and Osaka only has a million less than Berlin, together with the nearby Kyoto it's the same amount of people. And Berlin is by far the biggest city in Germany. Each of these Japanese cities is well connected with the others, and any city along the high-speed rail lines is fine as far as connections go.

However, when we decided on which cities to visit on our trip, we thought about Nagasaki, and found out that because there's no direct Shinkansen connection, the travel time is far longer than you'd expect from the pure spatial distance. And anything smaller and farther away is even worse to reach, simply geographically as well (much more mountanious than Germany/most of the US). So if you consider that, you can see how people think "okay, Inaba, less than 50k people is really small, and you have to ride the train for 2+ hours from the nearest actually big city, and you miss out on [anything that's in there, e.g. a mall until recently]".

In contrast again, even in my 700 people village you could hop into a car, and reach a 150k pop city within 20 min. I think that's something you couldn't say of many tiny American villages as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One note since I've been rewatching it: the Persona 4 anime adaptation is surprisingly good. I think it succeeds where the Persona 5 anime fails because it works a lot harder to adapt a video game story to a 26-episode anime. The Persona 5 adaptation is sort of just an abridged version of Persona 5 (with really stiff, awkward fight scenes). The Persona 4 one is an actual adaptation.

The Persona 4 animation also does a lot to adapt the game's silent protagonist into an actual character, and ends up with Yu Narukami being maybe the most consistently funny character in the whole thing. He's just this deadpan weirdo for most of the time, delivering a ton of great lines, and then when he breaks deadpan (either for comic or serious reasons) it always hits hard. Special mention to the summer vacation episodes, featuring Detective Nanako trying to figure out what the hell her big bro is up to as she just sees glimpses of him doing social link stuff that looks hilariously weird out of context.

Another interesting choice is that, unlike the Persona 3 and 5 adaptations, in the Persona 4 one, the characters never wield weapons and fight on their own. The personas do all of the fighting while the characters sometimes shout orders but often just try to talk with the person they're rescuing or their shadow. I remember being bugged by this the first time I watched it, but on a rewatch, after seeing the awkward fight scenes in the other Persona animes, I think it was absolutely the right call. It ends up reframing every fight scene as an emotional or interpersonal conflict rather than just fighting a bad guy, with the human characters talking and yelling at each other and the person whose shadow is the current enemy struggling to accept that shadow mid-fight. The fight with the killer towards the end gets special mention for being a pretty intense verbal fight, with the personas just kind of duking it out in the background.

Also watch the dub if you can, it's very good and I think did a lot of work to punch up some jokes to make them even funnier.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 15, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Petiso posted:

In any case, it's easy to burn out if you play two long games that similar back to back so give yourself some time to digest this one afterwards.

Oh yea this is definitely my plan. I’m going to wait for a Steam sale anyway.

Also just found out I need to max out rank for Maruki to get the 3rd semester? However it’s already 10/31 and I only have him rank 4. Not sure if I can rank him up in time. Oops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Oh yea this is definitely my plan. I’m going to wait for a Steam sale anyway.

Also just found out I need to max out rank for Maruki to get the 3rd semester? However it’s already 10/31 and I only have him rank 4. Not sure if I can rank him up in time. Oops.

You have until November 18.

I think it should be possible if you hang out with him every day you can and use Chihaya's services to boost your points with him every night so that every hangout is a rank up. He's available Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. If you get a rank up every time you should hit rank 10 on 11/14. Make sure you bring a Councillor arcana persona with you, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 15, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok I’ll gun for it.

Even if I don’t, I still get the regular Persona 5 ending right? With all the normal bonus scenes? I’ll be sad if I missed out on the 3rd semester (I kept ranking up other confidants especially on my team, didn’t realize how important the new additions were) but at the same time, I’ll be satisfied knowing I got the same ending my friends did who played this game years ago.

It would be too bad though. As much as I absolutely love this game it is also 100+ hours long and I’m not doing a replay just to unlock the 3rd semester.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok I’ll gun for it.

Even if I don’t, I still get the regular Persona 5 ending right? With all the normal bonus scenes? I’ll be sad if I missed out on the 3rd semester (I kept ranking up other confidants especially on my team, didn’t realize how important the new additions were) but at the same time, I’ll be satisfied knowing I got the same ending my friends did who played this game years ago.

It should be possible as once you get past a certain point you can see him much more frequently. Of more importance what is your current rank with Akechi and Kasumi?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

It should be possible as once you get past a certain point you can see him much more frequently. Of more importance what is your current rank with Akechi and Kasumi?

Kasumi I maxed out over the summer because she kept texting me. Aketchi I’m at rank 6.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Kasumi I maxed out over the summer because she kept texting me. Aketchi I’m at rank 6.

You will also want to start focusing on Akechi if you want a chance at seeing the third semester.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

You will also want to start focusing on Akechi if you want a chance at seeing the third semester.

That's not true--you only need Maruki.

There's at least one bonus scene if you max out Akechi, and obviously it's a good idea to max out any party member's confidant, but he isn't required for the third semester.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

That's not true--you only need Maruki.

There's at least one bonus scene if you max out Akechi, and obviously it's a good idea to max out any party member's confidant, but he isn't required for the third semester.

Not sure about that as everything I have read said you needed both of them.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Well it is evening 10/31 and I am about to go to trial to change Sae’s cognition so I can advance the palace I’m assuming finish the palace ASAP and then work on Maruki as much as possible and hope for the best!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Not sure about that as everything I have read said you needed both of them.

A lot of people assumed you did when Royal first came out because it really seems like you need Akechi maxed out, given how the third semester starts. But all you actually need is Councillor rank 9 by November 17. If you don't have Kasumi at rank 5 you can't keep ranking her up during the third semester, and you can't rank up Akechi during the third semester if you haven't already maxed him out, which is a bummer because it means you don't get their evolved personas or the rest of their confidant scenes. But it doesn't prevent you from doing the whole third semester.

Even bigger spoiler: the real big thing you get for maxing out Akechi is the "did he survive????" stinger after the credits.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Well it is evening 10/31 and I am about to go to trial to change Sae’s cognition so I can advance the palace I’m assuming finish the palace ASAP and then work on Maruki as much as possible and hope for the best!

One clarifying note: you actually need to get Maruki to rank 9 by November 17, not rank 10 by November 18. So don't panic if you hit rank 9 and he won't rank up anymore. That's normal. Rank 10 will happen automatically if you're rank 9 by November 17. Once you get him to rank 9, feel free to spend your time doing whatever else you feel like.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 15, 2021

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Texas is currently frozen solid, so I think it’s finally time to NG+ this bad boy once the rolling blackout ends.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

A lot of people assumed you did when Royal first came out because it really seems like you need Akechi maxed out, given how the third semester starts. But all you actually need is Councillor rank 9 by November 17. If you don't have Kasumi at rank 5 you can't keep ranking her up during the third semester, and you can't rank up Akechi during the third semester if you haven't already maxed him out, which is a bummer because it means you don't get their evolved personas or the rest of their confidant scenes. But it doesn't prevent you from doing the whole third semester.

Even bigger spoiler: the real big thing you get for maxing out Akechi is the "did he survive????" stinger after the credits.

One clarifying note: you actually need to get Maruki to rank 9 by November 17, not rank 10 by November 18. So don't panic if you hit rank 9 and he won't rank up anymore. That's normal. Rank 10 will happen automatically if you're rank 9 by November 17. Once you get him to rank 9, feel free to spend your time doing whatever else you feel like.

Good advice, thanks! I'll let you all know if I manage to unlock the third semester. If not, well, I still had a good time :)

However this was all very enlightening. As I said, I don't play many JRPGs, and I had obviously never played a Persona game before. I went into this completely blind, just wanting to lose myself in it and discover as I go. Which has been a joy because everything up until now has been spoiler free.

The downside though, is I had absolutely no idea what I should be doing, how important managing your time is, ranking confidants, ect. So I ended up spending all my time with confidants I liked (Ryuji, Makoto, the doctor, ect), ignoring the others, and just doing my own thing. I figured I was just playing a slice-of-life simulator so I spent a lot of time doing stuff on my own as well. The only "you MUST do this thing" I knew was completing palaces, which the game is very explicit about.

However now that I am aware of important social links and confidants are in the Persona series, I can apply this knowledge in Persona 4 Golden whenever I get around to it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I guess I am wrong then. Considering what goes on in the third semester and the role of Akechi during it all I thought you needed to finish the link.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The downside though, is I had absolutely no idea what I should be doing, how important managing your time is, ranking confidants, ect. So I ended up spending all my time with confidants I liked (Ryuji, Makoto, the doctor, ect), ignoring the others, and just doing my own thing. I figured I was just playing a slice-of-life simulator so I spent a lot of time doing stuff on my own as well. The only "you MUST do this thing" I knew was completing palaces, which the game is very explicit about.

To be fair, that sort of thing is new for Royal. For the most part, just hanging out with the social links you like best is a perfectly fine way to play. It's unusual for the series to lock major content behind maxing a specific social link by a specific date. Persona 4 Golden does as well but it's a smaller chunk of content than Persona 5 Royal's and you can still get the true ending if you don't (you just miss out on an epilogue scene).

I think Royal tries to nudge you towards maxing the new confidants early with the max HP and max SP bonuses they give.

As a general rule for the modern Persona games, if a character has an arcana from outside the standard Rider-Waite tarot deck, they're probably a new social link added for a rerelease and will have at least something interesting going on. They always use all the major arcana for social links/confidants in the base game so anyone they want to add in a rerelease gets a special arcana from a different deck, like Aeon, Faith, and Councillor.

Hunt11 posted:

I guess I am wrong then. Considering what goes on in the third semester and the role of Akechi during it all I thought you needed to finish the link.

It really seems like it should be required so it makes sense to assume it does.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 15, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P3 is a weird one where pre-existing characters get new links (Aigis in FES-on, the guys for the P3P female route), but you have three that stick to their original Arcana (Junpei, Ken and Koromaru), two that get reshuffled to another one in the original deck despite their Personas not changing Arcana (Akihiko to Star, Shinjiro to Moon), and Aigis gets Aeon. None of them are required for the story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I think new social links go:

P3FES - Aeon (existing character, now a link)
P3P - a bunch in the female MC route, some of which shuffling around arcana
P4G - Aeon (new character), Jester (existing character)
P5R - both Faith and Councillor are new

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

However this was all very enlightening. As I said, I don't play many JRPGs, and I had obviously never played a Persona game before. I went into this completely blind, just wanting to lose myself in it and discover as I go. Which has been a joy because everything up until now has been spoiler free.

From reading people's posts on the original game's thread when it was released, I'd say you had more fun playing your way than most people trying to go for an optimal first run following a guide, so don't sweat it. You can always watch what you missed from a LP or longplay, or use it to incentive yourself to replay the game some years down the line.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I did it! I got Maruki to rank 9 on 11/11!

Akechi I have at rank 8 but apparently I get more time to rank him up?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

His last two ranks are story based.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I did it! I got Maruki to rank 9 on 11/11!

Akechi I have at rank 8 but apparently I get more time to rank him up?

Congrats. Regarding Akechi if he has given you the glove then you are done worrying about his social link and just let the story take care of the rest.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think new social links go:

P3FES - Aeon (existing character, now a link)
P3P - a bunch in the female MC route, some of which shuffling around arcana
P4G - Aeon (new character), Jester (existing character)
P5R - both Faith and Councillor are new

Justice also gets reworked in P5R, the end result is the same but the SL gets fleshed out more.

Chariot and Hermit in P3P are also NPC to NPC instead of NPC to party member. I think they might be the only ones of that case in the series? Most of the other changes involve swapping out a NPC link with a party member link or just giving them a new Arcana entirely.

Honestly though the female route links are just better in general. Even the female links that are kept like Yukari/Fuuka/Mitsuru turn out better because you're not forced to romance them and you get fun cooking times instead of 'wow you're terrible at cooking, give up and just be a nerd'.

Honestly what I would like to see more that they removed in P5 was examples like P4's Strength where you get a different link depending on what club you chose.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Petiso posted:

From reading people's posts on the original game's thread when it was released, I'd say you had more fun playing your way than most people trying to go for an optimal first run following a guide, so don't sweat it. You can always watch what you missed from a LP or longplay, or use it to incentive yourself to replay the game some years down the line.

:yeah:

Not using a guide is absolutely the right way to play. Planning your time is half of Persona, if you follow a guide you're ruining that part for yourself. The game is very generous with the available time anyway.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This is an incredibly specific question but does anyone know if the PS4 version of Strikers has anything like the P5 Royal home themes they emailed codes for as you played through the game? Having P5 music on my home screen was a pretty decent little perk. Seems like Strikers will probably be pretty similar on all 3 platforms so it's down to little stuff like that and which controller I like the best that'll be the decider.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Aww man I pre ordered strikers cause google said it was coming out in 2 days, then I find out no it comes out in 6 days unless you get the deluxe version but I can’t get a refund cause god forbid the US of A have any kind of consumer protection. Oh well.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Speaking of Strikers, are there any significant performance differences between the PS4 and Switch versions?

Edit: lol nvm 30fps for Switch vs 60fps for PS4. PS4 all the way it seems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might make a Strikers thread tomorrow considering I'm not getting my copy until next Tuesday either and don't want this thread to get filled up with people playing early on Friday.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arist posted:

Might make a Strikers thread tomorrow considering I'm not getting my copy until next Tuesday either and don't want this thread to get filled up with people playing early on Friday.

If you do, could you make a general Persona thread?

I know after I finish Royal I’m going to dive right into 4:G and would love a thread to discuss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

If you do, could you make a general Persona thread?

I know after I finish Royal I’m going to dive right into 4:G and would love a thread to discuss.

Please do this so there isn't 100 posts of people mad about persona in the megaten thread everyweek

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

my bad on that one this time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's no big deal, the megaten threads just pretty slow so every time there's buncha posts I hope that it's some translation news or someone rediscovering the older games.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Solaris 2.0 posted:

But goddamn I haven’t had a game hook me like this in years. Every free moment I have , I am playing this game. Everything about it is oozing with style. The gameplay, the characters, the combat, the music, the story. I can’t get enough. I don’t want this game to end, and I will be very sad when it does.

This is the type of game where, If I play something else I will be saying to myself “yes it was fun, but it wasn’t Persona 5”

Persona 5 being so loving good that it hurts is a well documented phenomenon. Royal's last semester in particular is an experience that I still find my thoughts returning to even a year later.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Trip report

Goddamn that was a lot of cutscenes after Sae’s casino I’m happy they let you save during them!

I just got to Shido’s palace and I must be approaching the End Game.

Which makes me nervous because if Persona 5 is like any other JRPG there will be an end run of seriously OP bosses and the game won’t let you save in between facing them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Trip report

Goddamn that was a lot of cutscenes after Sae’s casino I’m happy they let you save during them!

I just got to Shido’s palace and I must be approaching the End Game.

Which makes me nervous because if Persona 5 is like any other JRPG there will be an end run of seriously OP bosses and the game won’t let you save in between facing them!

The game is actually pretty good about that.