Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
So, for the Uplift desks, I've found comparisons for advantages/disadvantages of laminate vs. bamboo (bamboo handles liquids better, but scratches/dents very easily, laminate is far more resilient), but what about the hardwood options? How does the reclaimed wood compare to the rubberwood? How do either compare to the laminate or bamboo?

I'm a huge klutz so I think bamboo is out, and solid wood seems like it'd be way higher quality; leaning towards the rubberwood, but why is it so much cheaper than the reclaimed or walnut tops? Just easier to come by, not about the quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Walnut is a quality hardwood that is valuable.

Rubber wood is not, bamboo is not.

Bamboo is pretty durable and not a bad option, in my personal opinion, unless it's the color or aesthetic you don't care for. I have a bamboo desk that's about 8 years old and served as a kitchen storage counter for a couple years, and it's back to desk duty no worse for wear.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 30, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i keep banging my loving knee on my cheapo 3M keyboard tray. I plan on replacing the knee-seeking hand crank knob with a nut, but my i still smash my meniscus into the mechanism. Anyone fix this problem without just buying more poo poo?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

So, for the Uplift desks, I've found comparisons for advantages/disadvantages of laminate vs. bamboo (bamboo handles liquids better, but scratches/dents very easily, laminate is far more resilient), but what about the hardwood options? How does the reclaimed wood compare to the rubberwood? How do either compare to the laminate or bamboo?

I'm a huge klutz so I think bamboo is out, and solid wood seems like it'd be way higher quality; leaning towards the rubberwood, but why is it so much cheaper than the reclaimed or walnut tops? Just easier to come by, not about the quality?

fwiw my experience with the Fully bamboo top is it’s extremely tough and hard wearing. They have some process that increases the normal hardness of bamboo, and a couple years of normal use have scarcely put a dent in it. Uplift may not be using the same stuff though.

Rubberwood is a rubber-producing tree from malaysia, which has a productive life of 30 years and then must be cut down and new trees planted. Historically nothing could be done with the cut-down trees since they’re very vulnerable to insect damage, but modern stuff is chemically treated which prevents this. It’s an unattractive wood but it is very cheap since it’s made from the leftovers of industrial-scale rubber production. Rubberwood wasn’t an option when i got my desk but i’d still have gone with bamboo since i think it looks a lot nicer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm using a pair of Magellan sit/stand desks (electric drive) from OfficeMax/OfficeDepot and they loving own.

They're about 6' wide and 3' deep; the package was heavy as gently caress, but a single UPS dude (who presumably must be swole af) delivered it, and I was able to gently manhandle it down the stairs. The packaging and assembly instructions were - no joke - the most beautiful things I had ever seen in my entire life. Like, the ex-manufacturing engineer in me wept. Each step of the assembly had its own bubble-wrapped hardware and assembly tools (unless it was using an assembly tool from a previous step) and the instruction book was practically idiot-proof. Just completely amazing work.

Both of them went together without issue and have done a fine job so far. I've had one for maybe 3 years now, and the other for almost a year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

i keep banging my loving knee on my cheapo 3M keyboard tray. I plan on replacing the knee-seeking hand crank knob with a nut, but my i still smash my meniscus into the mechanism. Anyone fix this problem without just buying more poo poo?

Hand crank to nut is a natural progression.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I finally got *most* of the RGB working with Corsair iCue. I had to buy a Lighting Node Pro RGB controller + some cable adapters so I can use my RGB lights with the Corsair RGB controller. Corsair software is actually functional compared to the hosed up garbage Asus keeps pushing to consumers.

For whatever reason Jonsbo's VC-4 GPU support doesn't work. I have no idea why. It worked while it was connected to the motherboard.

24" Dell, 32" curved dell, Fractal Design S2 case.

I have a cable tray waiting for installation but it has been too much :effort: so far. Maybe next weekend!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finally joined the Standing Desk Crew. Splurged on a desk from Uplift, just received everything today (ordered it 7 days ago) and assembled it. A bit of a heavy bitch for one person to swing around but got it done. My cable management looks even worse than before but I just wanted to get it done towards the end.

Picking up a standing mat from Amazon, will see how that goes.

Been working from home for the past year, definitely excited to start standing more during the day.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Hughmoris posted:

Finally joined the Standing Desk Crew. Splurged on a desk from Uplift, just received everything today (ordered it 7 days ago) and assembled it. A bit of a heavy bitch for one person to swing around but got it done. My cable management looks even worse than before but I just wanted to get it done towards the end.

Picking up a standing mat from Amazon, will see how that goes.

Been working from home for the past year, definitely excited to start standing more during the day.

Stand mat made all the difference in my knees and lower back. Wearing shoes all day helps too.

.random
May 7, 2007

My new desk is on its way at last, so I'm looking at ways to improve my wire :airquote: situation :airquote:

Naturally, I am therefore coming to The Experts :smug:

My current situation:

I've got a desktop under the desk and a laptop on the desk - the laptop varies between a work laptop and my personal laptop.
I'm using:

a ugreen 2 port USB switch... This has to be accessible either above or below the desk so I can press the button on it... It is connected to:
  • Computers to output to (which plug into the back of the switch):
    • desktop from under the desk
    • an anker 7-in-1 "hub" adapter, plugged into my laptop
      • has HDMI from the monitor
      • has power from below the desk
      • maybe has a webcam plugged in (it does right now, but this can potentially go elsewhere)
  • Shared USB devices (which plug into the front of the switch):
    • keyboard
    • mouse
    • maybe the webcam

Then there's like speakers and (off screen), an amp/DAC and a long headphone cable running to it, but eh. I can live with that if the rest is nice and pretty. I just don't know how to fix the bundle of wires D: Is all I can do getting a shorter cable for the keyboard and between the switch and the hub?

I'm willing to potentially get different hardware if it can make things much nicer and isn't prohibitively expensive. Thank y'all <3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Semi-serious suggestion: upgrade your monitor to one of the dell ultrawides with built-in kvm

e: or get a real kvm instead of using a separate hub and switch

e2: not endorsing that specific model but that’s the kind of thing to look for

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 14, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

Appreciate the thought on a different monitor but I wanted an IPS with high refresh and didn’t find anything like that with a KVM-ish functionality, alas!

Speaking of KVM, I did some digging, but it was hard to find one that explicitly said it supported both USB-C from a laptop and 2560x1440 @ 144Hz (or just, say, 120Hz). Might just need to look harder :shrug:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Wellll the one i linked claims to do 4k@60, so it’s at least theoretically got the bandwidth to do 1440p@more but not guaranteed to actually support that. Here’s a benq page that does explicitly claim 144hz works over usb-c, so it might be worth trying it out and just returning it if it doesn’t work as expected.

e: Here’s the only kvm i’m aware of that explicitly supports high refresh rate monitors, but it doesn’t do usb-c.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 16, 2021

.random
May 7, 2007

For high hz DP, looks like Level1 makes a couple (a DP1.2 and an upcoming DP1.4), as does ConnectPro (DP1.4, sounds like? Up to at least 120hz, maybe higher at my res).

These are each in the $300-something price range which is Not Cheap, but they should be workable with the laptop using the Anker hub in combination... but then would be potentially be DP from the monitor to the KVM, then from the KVM running a DP-to-HDMI cable and a USB cable to the Anker hub, and then the Anker hub connecting to the laptop, which sounds like in the finicky world of KVMs may or may not work properly. It would still require me to have the Anker hub on the desk (with additionally the power cable running to it), but it would eliminate at least a decent amount of the messy cables. Definite maybe.

There is also a 3 computer (2 DP, 1 USB-C-all-in-one) KVM from some other company but it is Very Expensive ($800+?) and doesn’t support over 60hz.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
You're going to lose the ability to enable G-SYNC if you introduce something between the GPU and the monitor, which would be a deal-breaker for me.

I currently use this Monoprice USB switch for peripherals:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38298

and switch monitor inputs with ControlMyMonitor batch files:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/control_my_monitor.html

This allows me to keep DP connections to my gaming PC and the other (USB-C or HDMI) work laptop. Switching systems involves pressing the USB switch button and running a shortcut.

It's pretty rad!

.random
May 7, 2007

Ahh, yes this was a concern I had but thought it was Maybe Sorted Out - thanks for the heads up.

Having a USB switch with a separate button sounds like it would help a lot. (Maybe even cooler would be a hotkey switchable USB switch at that point. I’m scared to ask if that is something that has been worked out. I saw a couple on Amazon with less-than-inspiring reviews :sad: )

(I am manually switching my monitor right now which is ok, but a batch script sounds snazzier. I’m hoping you switched the order and you actually run the batch script THEN toggle the switcher though or else you’re a wild man blind-clicking :sweatdrop: )

e: vvvv the hotkey I meant was for the USB switch itself to switch sources :)

.random fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 17, 2021

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

.random posted:

Ahh, yes this was a concern I had but thought it was Maybe Sorted Out - thanks for the heads up.

Having a USB switch with a separate button sounds like it would help a lot. (Maybe even cooler would be a hotkey switchable USB switch at that point. I’m scared to ask if that is something that has been worked out. I saw a couple on Amazon with less-than-inspiring reviews :sad: )

(I am manually switching my monitor right now which is ok, but a batch script sounds snazzier. I’m hoping you switched the order and you actually run the batch script THEN toggle the switcher though or else you’re a wild man blind-clicking :sweatdrop: )

Yeah I have two scripts, one for each 'mode', which I put into a toolbar. Click the icon, press the button. You can hotkey the input scripts using shortcuts but that wasn't very reliable in my experience.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

This is my tabletop, which is right next to my desktop. I got lost in it for a few hours today. I like how simple this is. Could just run a printer wire usb out to my tower if I wanted to connect the sound.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jumping on the trend of butcher blocks on ikea cabinets but all the Karlby and Alex things are sold the gently caress out. Alex apparently not getting a restock till April now I read. So instead i've ordered something similar:

The Micke which is same height but a few inches less in depth:
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/micke-drawer-unit-drop-file-storage-white-50213080/

And instead of the wheels I'll use the Eket feet for the bottom:
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/eket-foot-adjustable-metal-70340044/

A local hardware place has a nice solid block of Acacia wood in dark expresso stain for only $15 more than Ikea's so I figure that's better than veneer over MDF.

(no pics yet till we move in)

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vintersorg posted:

Jumping on the trend of butcher blocks on ikea cabinets but all the Karlby and Alex things are sold the gently caress out. Alex apparently not getting a restock till April now I read. So instead i've ordered something similar:

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/micke-drawer-unit-drop-file-storage-white-50213080/

A local hardware place has a nice solid block of Acacia wood in dark expresso stain for only $15 so I figure that's better than veneer over MDF.

Is the Micke cart (that you plan to take the wheels off of) actually the same height as IKEA’s table legs? If I were you I’d grab a set of inexpensive legs from the table bar and screw them to the butcherblock, the cart will likely comfortably roll underneath. That will give you a more stable and easy to move, and probably more comfortable, platform than simply resting the wood top on the cart

It will look better as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am using the carts as legs actually. The "new thing" with desktops this year was people doing this. Karlby's and Alex's sell out QUICK.

This is the Karlby butcher block with Alex drawers.

This is with a butcher block and micke drawers.

The guy I spoke with used these from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-306229574-_-N&

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

This is with a butcher block and micke drawers.

gray shiplap wall

minifridge beer/Sig/Yeti/Apple stickers in lieu of personality

sheepskin on floor

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

gray shiplap wall

minifridge beer/Sig/Yeti/Apple stickers in lieu of personality

sheepskin on floor

post your setup you petulant little turd

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think we'd all like a mini-keg fridge beside our desks.

This was my old desk at my apartment, ikea Galant - they don’t make these anymore and it’s been redone as Bekant now.

The desk takes up way too much room tho. So gonna be happier with just a board. I've also moved to just a single ultrawide and maybe down the road I might get a secondary monitor to put above. I saw someone with a 50" and that'd be cool if I hooked up a console.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 25, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

A local hardware place has a nice solid block of Acacia wood in dark expresso stain for only $15 more than Ikea's so I figure that's better than veneer over MDF.

I want the Fredde but its sold out in the Southeast US. No idea if/when it might get restocked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That one looks really cool too! I like the cup holders, haha. It's completely sold out here in Canada too - can't even add to cart. Wonder if it got discontinued.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Parachute posted:

post your setup you petulant little turd

if you insist

I recently added some new displays and a notebook (pls ignore chains)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 25, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the radon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You forgot one of the best ones:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

It's like a terrible art installation.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm the radon.

That's clearly encapsulated by the black poly sheeting covered in dirt/grime in the 'sleeping area'.

The 6 can of Coke a day habit is going to kill him long before some overblown EPA radioactive vapors.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
The electric standing desk that I use is on sale at Amazon for $230. There's a seam in the table top that doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I don't even notice in everyday use. It'd be trivial to use a butcher block or different table top instead though. I have 20lbs of monitor clamped onto the edge of the table top and it's been going strong for over a year. The electric motor is fine I guess, no issues with daily use with around 50lbs of crap that it has to move up and down.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

That's clearly encapsulated by the black poly sheeting covered in dirt/grime in the 'sleeping area'.

The 6 can of Coke a day habit is going to kill him long before some overblown EPA radioactive vapors.

lol if you don't think that guy is already dead

(prolly eaten by a morlock)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you insist

I recently added some new displays and a notebook (pls ignore chains)

Ah, this is bungmonkey's old hovel, right? Some seriously nostalgic imagery

Parachute
May 18, 2003
semi-related during that big rear end texas winter storm i had a big water leak in the ceiling when i wasnt home and i came home to this (and water spraying everywhere)

my main monitor somehow still works (?) but nothing else on the desk does. also treat this is a PSA for keeping your computer under the desk because mine is still working only for that reason.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Ah, this is bungmonkey's old hovel, right? Some seriously nostalgic imagery

How much fun did we make of this goon? I bet the thread was amazing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Parachute posted:

semi-related during that big rear end texas winter storm i had a big water leak in the ceiling when i wasnt home and i came home to this (and water spraying everywhere)

my main monitor somehow still works (?) but nothing else on the desk does. also treat this is a PSA for keeping your computer under the desk because mine is still working only for that reason.

Your PSA is useless for when there is a flood and only the things at table height or above survive.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Your PSA is useless for when there is a flood and only the things at table height or above survive.

I have almost dumped an entire cup of coffee into my top AIO exhaust like 2-3 times while teaching this year.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spunkshui posted:

I have almost dumped an entire cup of coffee into my top AIO exhaust like 2-3 times while teaching this year.

This is my I keep my pc in a hermetically sealed box/faraday cage tied to a hot air balloon that floats at the top of a 20' out besides my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui posted:

One day manufacturers will remember fans can go on the side panel.

One day.