Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

$1299, apparently?

That's not as much as I would have figured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mobby_6kl posted:

Bosch has one too :3:

There's also Hilti for the :homebrew: option

What is this, for ice carving?

The Milwaukee was every bit as satisfying to hold as it looks. The bar ain't long but it's thick.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I bought the KME sharpener but I forgot to buy the base. What is the base made of? Threaded rod in wood?

I figure I'll just use it in my vice but the garage is pretty cold, if I can embed a bolt in a sheet of plywood to clamp to my desk that would be preferred.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I've had Makita for years - I love it, however the only tool I lust for that is a bit lacking in the Makita universe is the Mil(fuckey) M12 3/8 ratchet. -

yeah, I know... https://www.amazon.com/Makita-XLT02...13430826&sr=8-4

but the form factor of this is pretty weak compared to the red one.

Pre Edit: I actually just found this one that looks wayyyyyy more appealing to me... may or may not have made it in to my shopping cart:
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RW01R...13431116&sr=8-2

I have:

drill (just replaced my 10 year old white one with the bad rear end new teal one) its a fuckin monster - the old white ones are kids toys compared to the new gen of brushless, but hey, the white ones really held their own

impact driver - the white one still functions fine for driving screws and with the 3/8 square drive adapter its good for quite a bit

1/2" impact gun for lug nuts - total game changer, but I don't use as much as the others because I'm not always doing lug nuts - kinda a frivolous purchase, I was ballin at the time, but every time I use it I'm glad I have it

angle grinder - I havent touched my corded since I got it - and I find myself using a grinder more for things that I would have tried to work around - its a really well engineered tool and its fantastic even with the goofy form factor of the battery

sawzall - also an awesome tool, use it frequently and it actually out preforms my old craftsman corded one.

hand held circ saw - totally an awesome tool - struggles a bit on dense hardwoods, but there hasn't been one task it hasn't been able to handle.

the absolute most useful tool I've bought last year is 100% the leaf blower - I didn't know I needed it as much as I did until I got it. I use it daily and I love it.

I have a few more I'd really like to get - namely jigsaw, orbital sander, die grinder and that ratchet - and im sure there's more that I'd like but don't know it yet.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
is there any appreciable difference in power or torque from plug-in tools? Wouldn't running on 120v make them blow all cordless stuff away? I heard someone from Australia remark that american tools not running on 240 was a bummer. I mean it must not make a big difference or they'd be more popular. What gives?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is there any appreciable difference in power or torque from plug-in tools? Wouldn't running on 120v make them blow all cordless stuff away? I heard someone from Australia remark that american tools not running on 240 was a bummer. I mean it must not make a big difference or they'd be more popular. What gives?

Theoretically,

120v x 15a = 1800w.

most battery tools are 21v, max of maybe 40a? = 840 w

you lose some to heat converting to usefull work.

so yes, a modern plugin design which took 120v and converted it to use a brushless dc permanent magnet motor would have more go to it.

(most) plugin tools sold today are antiquated designs, from before the age of lithium batteries, maybe updated to more modern manufacturing processes and materials.

the real advantage only comes in certain use cases though:

1: Stationary, or where you're within extension cord ranges for a long period.
examples: circ saws, miter saws, routers, or other woodworking.

2: power requirements are still large/duty cycles long enough batteries still can't cut it.
examples: concrete core drilling, paint stirring, angle grinders.

on most commercial jobsites I visit, 80% of power tools have gone battery, with little charger farms on whatever turtles the sparkies set up.

not having to gently caress with cords and fight over outlets is a massive time saver.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I love my bosch, but if I was starting from scratch I'd go team red for sure.

And no, ryobi isn't in the same league but most are probably adequate for the casual home owner.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

I love my bosch, but if I was starting from scratch I'd go team red for sure.

And no, ryobi isn't in the same league but most are probably adequate for the casual home owner.

I will second this. I'm on team Bosch due to family pressure (half my moms side works for them) but I would be jumping over to Milwaukee if I was starting over.

Ryobi North America is also slightly different from Ryobi Japan in regards to selection. It used to be that you could only get a quarter of the battery tool selection Ryobi offered in Canada. This is no longer the case.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
any thoughts on small tabletop parts washers?

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Cabinet-Washer-Electric-Capacity/dp/B0026T75BA

Thinking about getting one, if so, what fluid do i use?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Simple Green cleanses all. Jesus bled Simple Green.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The large Chinese ultrasonic cleaners have come down in price a lot.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/282928338185

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

worth it vs buying a parts washer? think it'll still cost too much to toss something big like a valve cover in there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cordless tools: pick the colour you like.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
been thinking about a parts washer too - done some quick investigation - basically every parts washer available is from china - the consensus is that the pumps really suck and fail pretty quickly, if you do some looking, guys cobble together replacements that are pretty stout. Back when, parts washers used all kinds of nasty solvents that eat pretty much anything and are very dangerous to you. There are much cleaner alternatives, but a lot of folks swear by diesel fuel.

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

been thinking about a parts washer too - done some quick investigation - basically every parts washer available is from china - the consensus is that the pumps really suck and fail pretty quickly, if you do some looking, guys cobble together replacements that are pretty stout. Back when, parts washers used all kinds of nasty solvents that eat pretty much anything and are very dangerous to you. There are much cleaner alternatives, but a lot of folks swear by diesel fuel.

diesel fuel would be a no go, i can't stand the smell. (and working on a railroad for 7 years it should be pretty surprising.)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

McTinkerson posted:

Warning - they're quite loud, but very effective

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Lightbulb Out posted:

they're quite loud

In that case they might just be sonic instead of ultrasonic. :smuggo:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

MRC48B posted:

most battery tools are 21v, max of maybe 40a? = 840 w

I think the biggest M18 batteries are putting out over 100A these days. I have the chainsaw and it's great for camping and homeowner-type stuff. I've cut through 24" logs with mine.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
what's the advantage with a small cheaply-made parts washer over a bucket, a gallon jug of simple green concentrate, and a set of brushes

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the advantage with a small cheaply-made parts washer over a bucket, a gallon jug of simple green concentrate, and a set of brushes
Depending on the model, constant flow, ultrasonic vibration, maybe heat? (I know the good parts washers heat the fluid, I dunno if any of these do.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been using a 5 gallon pail of 87 octane and a brush for like 4 years now and it still works great as long as the thing I'm cleaning fits in it. If I ever need to upgrade I'll probably go to simple green and a 55 gallon drum though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

please tell me you wear a respirator while agitating a bucket of fuming carcinogens

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I guess it depends on how often you use it, but we have a part washer at work, it gets used about once a year, and typically when someone goes to use it, we find out that the solvent has all dried up (evaporated).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean yeah, I probably shouldn't be dunking my hands in it as much as I have in the past, but so is all the used oil/asbestos-laden road dust/nasty auto chemical goop you're cleaning off the parts.

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Parts washer talk. For small parts.

I have an ultrasonic. ~dentist model $300 it will fit a carb, The trick is turning up the heat settings. yeah it makes metals bright, but..
I have a Harbor freight style parts washer, the filters wear out. I've tried simple green, Purple magic. I use the kersone -ish safe fluid with it, Adding a magnetic engine heater helps heat the fluid. A lot of labor time, but what really works is:

I bought the large vibrating tumbler and a spare bowl from Eastman. The ~20lb model. Green pyramid medium, dilute simple green. And a 5 piece 5-gallon bucket classifier set off amazon.
Put in parts, come back a couple hours later they are clean. If I want polishing. Put on the bowl with walnut media & a bit of polishing compound. check it in the morning, bright polished parts.
Cleanup is water.

Really easy to dump out the bowl into the smaller classifier filter, catch the run off in a bucket and then dump the green media back in for whatever round of parts is next. About as loud as running the pump on the regular parts washer tank. quieter than ultrasonic.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

kastein posted:

I've been using a 5 gallon pail of 87 octane and a brush for like 4 years now and it still works great as long as the thing I'm cleaning fits in it. If I ever need to upgrade I'll probably go to simple green and a 55 gallon drum though.

Do you live in a 50's safety PSA? Look around and see if anything is in color.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Do you live in a 50's safety PSA? Look around and see if anything is in color.

:coolzone: I do and no, things aren't in color yet.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Slick posted:

I have an ultrasonic. ~dentist model $300 it will fit a carb, The trick is turning up the heat settings. yeah it makes metals bright, but..
I have a Harbor freight style parts washer, the filters wear out. I've tried simple green, Purple magic. I use the kersone -ish safe fluid with it, Adding a magnetic engine heater helps heat the fluid. A lot of labor time, but what really works is:

I bought the large vibrating tumbler and a spare bowl from Eastman. The ~20lb model. Green pyramid medium, dilute simple green. And a 5 piece 5-gallon bucket classifier set off amazon.
Put in parts, come back a couple hours later they are clean. If I want polishing. Put on the bowl with walnut media & a bit of polishing compound. check it in the morning, bright polished parts.
Cleanup is water.

Really easy to dump out the bowl into the smaller classifier filter, catch the run off in a bucket and then dump the green media back in for whatever round of parts is next. About as loud as running the pump on the regular parts washer tank. quieter than ultrasonic.

is there supposed to be a picture or a link here

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slick posted:

Cleanup is water.

I assume that's the Eastwood tumbler? I wish I had one of those like 10 years ago. I kinda want it now too but most of my small gross parts are back together. I could probably get some use out of the little one actually still for a bunch of small hardwares.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

His life is Technicolor man.

I have the Jegs tabletop parts washer, full of diesel. I added a flow-through brush onto the spray nozzle. Works well enough, I like the block heater idea though I’ll have to try that.

Super Clean in a bucket is also a powerful force.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

StormDrain posted:

most of my small gross parts are back together.

:laugh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

StormDrain posted:

The Milwaukee was every bit as satisfying to hold as it looks. The bar ain't long but it's thick.

Re: Tools! - The bar ain’t long but it’s thick.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looks like Tekton's hard-to-acquire TINY LITTLE 3/8" ratchet is back in stock:

https://www.tekton.com/3-8-inch-drive-folding-quick-release-ratchet-srh35104

I originally heard about it here and figured you guys would like to know. Edit: Oddly, for the first time in recent memory, I can't convince myself I need it. This popped up for me after a rough day and my partner had said "buy yourself something", and I still haven't bought it.

It looks nice and I can definitely see the use, I just ... ew, I think I'm getting old.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 18, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

E: ^^^^^^
I do. though I proved myself awful at overhead welding the other day:v: but I could maybe macgyver something up, only problem is sockets that large come at a premium at my place of work. Bigger sockets (1"+) and also 3/4" sockets/wrenches are my work's version of everyone else's 10mm sockets.

Holy fuckin poo poo. I just ordered that (because of your link, thanks). There does happen to be a Sayal Electronics next city over from me though. Probably could have just went there, but for the fuckin lockdown poo poo.

gently caress it. The closest Wally world is close enough I can practically spit on it from where I live. And if the bars were open, it would be only a short detour to take a piss on it on my way home from the local pub.

E again: with my luck, the size that I particularly need right this moment, will be the 1 1/8" which isn't in this set... :suicide:

Those crowfoot wrenches came yesterday.
I checked. Two biggest sizes are 1 inch and 1 1/4". The size I need for that one specific fitting is............................... 1 1/8" :negative: Guess I need to go and buy an individual one now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Those crowfoot wrenches came yesterday.
I checked. Two biggest sizes are 1 inch and 1 1/4". The size I need for that one specific fitting is............................... 1 1/8" :negative: Guess I need to go and buy an individual one now.

Tape a 1/8" shim to the inside of the wrench!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think. I've seen a penny trick on IG for that. Maybe?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The crowsfeet he bought look like a 12 point socket with a slice and the bottom cut off, penny trick won't work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've got some 1/16" flat steel around the shop, I figured on cutting a couple small pieces of that and shoving them in there.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bonus points to buy a new too to cut the metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Bonus points to buy a new too to cut the metal.

Already have a chop saw. Also, angle grinder, tin snips, sawzall, hacksaw, O&A torch.

Hmmmm.... We ain't got a plasma cutter yet.