Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I would note that they ordered a kit that costs ~$50 more than the one they got and probably ought to at least ask for the difference back, if they keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

As I predicted, my choosing to do a round of upgrades with 3950s has led to 5x00s being restocked. You're welcome :)

(srsly tho look at those made-up MSRPs)

mdxi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 11, 2021

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Canna Happy posted:

If I were you I would for sure keep the flare x. Should be a much better kit compared to Hynix rip jaws.

Xaris posted:

Yeah flare x is better. 3200-cl14 b-die is way better than 3600 cl16 Hynix because of you can probably turn that to 3600-cl14 ez pz

Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards keeping it even before considering the time it would take to send it back and get what I actually ordered.

Munkeymon posted:

I would note that they ordered a kit that costs ~$50 more than the one they got and probably ought to at least ask for the difference back, if they keep it.

The Flare X they sent me in error is actually a bit more expensive on Canadian Newegg.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

mdxi posted:

As I predicted, my choosing to do a round of upgrades with 3950s has led to 5x00s being restocked. You're welcome :)

(srsly tho look at those made-up MSRPs)

Thank you for this. I immediately jumped in my car at 3 o'clock and drove to Cambridge and bought a 5950x.

I also got the very last GPU in the store, an open box 1650 OC, for $140. It'll do for a placeholder.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

kefkafloyd posted:

I immediately jumped in my car at 3 o'clock and drove to Cambridge and bought a 5950x.

:respek:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Thank you for this. I immediately jumped in my car at 3 o'clock and drove to Cambridge and bought a 5950x.

lol

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Those raster images don't process themselves, friend. This is for a multiworker distributed RIP system.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 12, 2021

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You might want to buy it, but you won't be able to because it won't be available.
You're not wrong, though - that's the chip I've been eyeing, if I were to replace my current server.

Ships in two weeks...... So I don't know, might be available?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've installed the KSM32ES8/8ME sticks from Kingston today (4x8GB).

They have a 3200MHz JEDEC setting, 22-22-22-52 at 1.2V. I'm just trying 3200@18-20-20-40 at 1.25V, which seems to work (keeping things a little conservative).

They're single rank, tho. If you want dual rank, you need to step up the capacity. While 64GB would be nice, it wasn't worth double the cost.

Fast ECC UDIMMs seemed to be an issue. Up until recently you only found registered modules with that speed.

Hmm, probably be upgrading soon. :) Thanks.

I don't mind the speed to be honest, even though my machine runs really stable (after using DDU to get some NVidia crap off the system) with the FlareX chips I have right now, I just want ECC.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Is the general consensus for keeping 3900X idle temps below 50 to undervolt it still or is there a better way?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bit of a techie question - does anyone know what material (FR4/Nelco/Megtron6) is usually used for the Gen4 motherboards like the x570 or Rome/Milan?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...may I ask *why* exactly, you are needing to make sure that your motherboards are fireproof?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they're just really attached to the NZXT H1 :v:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CyberPingu posted:

Is the general consensus for keeping 3900X idle temps below 50 to undervolt it still or is there a better way?

My 3900x hangs out at around 40-45 pure idle. Around 45-50 doing web surfing type idle. Just using a Noctua cooler and decent airflow. I am also using one notch above normal LLC. Normal PBO.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

redeyes posted:

My 3900x hangs out at around 40-45 pure idle. Around 45-50 doing web surfing type idle. Just using a Noctua cooler and decent airflow. I am also using one notch above normal LLC. Normal PBO.

Yeah thats pretty much what mine is at too using a Scythe fuma, but if i undervolt it even a small amount it drops to 35C idle and 40C browsing

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a very old video now but memory speed mattered back in 2016, perhaps not so much today but it made a tangible difference in those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a very old video now but memory speed mattered back in 2016, perhaps not so much today but it made a tangible difference in those days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

It still does today, moreso latency and 1:1 Infinity Fabric synchronization with making IF as high as possible. again unless you're rocking a RTX 3080+ at 144 fps 1440p you are probably going to be GPU bottlenecked these are some of the two better memory videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEP8iVVQR-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYhwBk8GE6M

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 13, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...may I ask *why* exactly, you are needing to make sure that your motherboards are fireproof?

Naw it’s for estimating signal loss on the pcie gen4 lanes. The material is rarely if ever mentioned on spec sheets but sometimes it is mentioned in a motherboard review (marketing guys will give the info to reviewers to sprinkle in details)

Trying to get this info through B2B channels but it is slowwwww.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You seriously might have better luck sending buildzoid a message on Reddit.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I got a 5950x for valentine's day and replaced my 3900x with it. I've had some stability issues so far. Random reboots.

I think it's related to vsoc. With the 3900x my RAM settings were stable at 1.05v vsoc. With the 5950x they seemed stable then I started randomly rebooting. I set vsoc to 1.08 and might try 1.10 (then 1.0 if that fails). So far it seems stable at 1.08, but now I am paranoid. Probably going to run memtest overnight tonight & pray it's the RAM OC settings causing it.

I guess if it's not stable I'll try to get my RAM running at 3800+ instead of 3533 c14 with tight timings. I run 4x16 and couldn't get a better performing oc than 3533 c14 with the 3900x.

also, don't use kryonaut thermal paste it scratched the poo poo out of the surface of my cpu cooler right down to the copper in spots

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 15, 2021

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Khorne posted:

I got a 5950x for valentine's day and replaced my 3900x with it. I've had some stability issues so far. Random reboots.

I think it's related to vsoc. With the 3900x my RAM settings were stable at 1.05v vsoc. With the 5950x they seemed stable then I started randomly rebooting. I set vsoc to 1.08 and might try 1.10 (then 1.0 if that fails). So far it seems stable at 1.08, but now I am paranoid. Probably going to run memtest overnight tonight & pray it's the RAM OC settings causing it.

I guess if it's not stable I'll try to get my RAM running at 3800+ instead of 3533 c14 with tight timings. I run 4x16 and couldn't get a better performing oc than 3533 c14 with the 3900x.

also, don't use kryonaut thermal paste it scratched the poo poo out of the surface of my cpu cooler right down to the copper in spots

The new (?) Kryonaut formula is absolute garbage and impossible to spread.

A little bit of hyperbole but 5950x and 5900x are kind of a disaster. I upgraded from the 3900x to the 5950x and mine also has the black screen instant reboots that are being somewhat widely reported on Reddit/AMD's forums. I have an ASUS B550i and everything is up-to-date with the latest BIOS and chipset drivers installed. I put the RAM to the stock 2133 and it's been stable all day at the cost of some performance. Alternatively either eco mode or disabling the core performance boost also seems to prevent it, but again that defeats the entire purpose of the CPU.

I might try to push the RAM back up and see if that's causing it, but at this point the whole thing is just so bad and the various manufacturer BIOSes are all such a mess that I'm considering just returning the CPU and going back to Intel for the first time since I went onto a 2700x. Honestly I may even just go back to macOS full time because the new M1 chips are superb and I have a PS5 for gaming any way.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Did some tweaking with my 3900X.

Got it running at just under 4Ghz at 1.075V stable and never went above 55C running blender benchmarks

Anything above 4Ghz on 1.075V caused crashing unfortunately. But I was trying to get lowest V while staying around 4Ghz.

Staying at stock clock I got the V down lower.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Palladium posted:

I highly suggest you don't enable the mobo's one-button auto XMP since it might do some unneeded dangerous overvolting on something, but instead you should manually dial 1.35V for VDimm, the XMP clocks (e.g 3200MHz) and primary timings (e.g 16-18-18-36) yourself.

Update: I weighed the options and ultimately went with the mobo setting, and so far it's been entirely stable (only four days so far, but I've tested out the programs/games I typically play and they've gone just fine, so here's hoping nothing changes). Mobo claims the processor is running at 4.6 Ghz and the RAM at 3600, so I'll just trust in the system and see how it goes into the future. I do thank everyone for the kindly-given advice either way. Moving files/OS/loading times in games are definitely and noticeably much faster than my prior system, so I'm pleased.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What's with the doom and gloom about XMP and overvolting in this thread?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

XMP is a gateway drug to hard overclocking

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

XMP is just plain wrong for some modules on zen and the easiest way to destroy an expensive component in software(firmware) right now is miskeying Vsoc.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

XMP is just plain wrong for some modules on zen and the easiest way to destroy an expensive component in software(firmware) right now is miskeying Vsoc.

How wide spread is this? I haven't really heard anything about this across x370/470/570.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah this thread is the only place I've heard this come up, though I wasn't following hardware all that closely last year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Haven't had any problems clicking the XMP button across a 2700x and 5600x on a x470 motherboard, although one specific game (AC Valhalla) did have a whole bunch of crashes until I set the RAM profile back to its default.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

I am fine with 1.1v or 1.125v vsoc. So far I'm 24 hours stable at 1.1 (1.092 max in practice with 1.069-1.080 most of the time). We'll see how that goes.

I am not running at XMP. I'm running at a pretty reasonable overclock. xmp is 3200 c14 and I am running 3533 c14 with more aggressive timings than the xmp for other settings too. It's also 4x16 which changes things a bit.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 17, 2021

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Some Goon posted:

Yeah this thread is the only place I've heard this come up, though I wasn't following hardware all that closely last year.

Same here.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's FUD from Paul as far as I can tell.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It was more back in 2017 iirc when the first boom kicked off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

there's a school of thought that you need to do manual memory tuning for Ryzen because XMP is generally oriented for Intel

and then there was a slapfight for a good page or two when people were panicking over the advice being given-out in this thread that the recommended voltages were so high that they'd fry your parts

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if a component cant take motherboard defaults it can get hosed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

redeyes posted:

I don’t think anyone would disagree that RAM that fails to post at DDR4-2133 1.2V 16-16-16 should be returned to the store.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

I don’t think anyone would disagree that RAM that fails to post at DDR4-2133 1.2V 16-16-16 should be returned to the store.

Thats bare minimum. XMP/DOCP is also rated to run at that speed and voltage and there is no reason why you cant push that higher and get away with that too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

redeyes posted:

Problem is the motherboard defaults are increasingly way above what AMD/Intel are telling their own partners is safe. But the motherboard OEMs keep pushing it cause it gives them a tiny edge on benchmarks, and they dont really care about failure rates out of warranty 3 years later that only enthusiasts will be able to trace back to them anyway.

Which is why i still think people should go in and set their RAM timings appropriately (because its a massive performance difference on most Zen platforms), but watch what your motherboard is doing in the background like a hawk. I havent seen a bios that straight up lies/wont let you manually override voltages... yet. But they absolutely can be sneaky and/or obtuse with some of the settings.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have any numbers to back any of that up? Like any proof whatsoever?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stanley Pain posted:

Do you have any numbers to back any of that up? Like any proof whatsoever?

I have “17” and “85”, but I don’t know if you’ll find that compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Aren't the voltage settings for XMP baked into the module along with the timings anyways?