Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Since DCS has made their modules free to play through this weekend, now is a great time for anyone on the fence to get a taste of what DCS, and flight simming is all about!

Who the gently caress are Airgoons?

We are a chill group of goon flight sim nerds who organize multiplayer missions each weekend and create content for DCS, IL2, and other flight sims to collectively enjoy. We primarily fly DCS missions each Saturday at 20:00UTC, with smaller missions Sunday at 20:00UTC.

Okay, but what is DCS?

DCS is a military flight sim that features some of the most realistic depictions of real fighter aircraft ever to be found on the consumer market. If you ever wanted to get a taste of how real military pilots do their thing, this will get you there. Or you can be like most goons and find new and clever ways to break your aircraft without dying in a multi-million dollar fireball.

This sounds hard.

There is a learning curve, but learning how to fly with and from goons is a big part of what makes DCS and flying with Airgoons fun. Even our most experienced goon pilots have rather silly incidents on occasion.
https://i.imgur.com/SZAAf9O.mp4
The only requirement for joining our missions is that you have your controls set up beforehand and know how to take off.

So what is happening this weekend?

Thanks to the Lunar New Year, there is a big sale going on with a free trial available for all aircraft, so if there is anything you want to toy with, download DCS, join Airgoons discord and we can help you learn the ropes.

On Saturday 20:00UTC, we are running a mission featuring the F-14 Tomcat, F-16 Viper, F/A-18 Hornet, and AV-8B Harrier, which will be great for learning how to fly, bomb a large runway, and maybe shoot down a hostile plane or two.
On Sunday 20:00UTC, we are running a mission featuring the P-47 Thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang, Spitfire, and I-16 to try out all the WWII content DCS has been adding lately. This will feature shooting literal Nazis, both in the air and on the ground.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

are the free modules only available through the standalone version?

I have DCS World installed through Steam. I've done their free play in the past but it doesn't seem to be an option through Steam this time around.

In any case, I signed up as an F/A-18 and would be excited to join in (first time!) but I don't know that I'll be able to access the Persian Gulf map.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Teeter posted:

are the free modules only available through the standalone version?

I have DCS World installed through Steam. I've done their free play in the past but it doesn't seem to be an option through Steam this time around.

In any case, I signed up as an F/A-18 and would be excited to join in (first time!) but I don't know that I'll be able to access the Persian Gulf map.

It appears Steam did not have free to play this time.

HOWEVER

Owning the Gulf is pretty near mandatory for max fun these days, and it's on sale.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Vahakyla posted:

It appears Steam did not have free to play this time.

HOWEVER

Owning the Gulf is pretty near mandatory for max fun these days, and it's on sale.

I just installed the standalone version so I'm set for this weekend. I'll look in to getting the PG map afterwards though, if I stick around with multiplayer then I'm sure it'd be a good pickup.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Teeter posted:

I just installed the standalone version so I'm set for this weekend. I'll look in to getting the PG map afterwards though, if I stick around with multiplayer then I'm sure it'd be a good pickup.

If you need help with simpleradiostandalone or anything, just ask in discord!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
After doing a lot of VFR sightseeing flights I started to get into airliners. Besides the long boring bits in the middle I'm enjoying flying the big planes now.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I think I'm going to start playing Flight Sim again and just have to fly with low settings on. I was hoping I'd get a video card but it just looks like its not going to happen anytime soon. I am looking forward to crashing my Cessna repeatedly in dangerous weather.

Tactical Unicorn
Mar 18, 2008
My heart is currently torn between MSFS2020 and X-plane 11 for VR Cessna stuff. I've managed to just about get the settings to where FS2020 VR is at a viable framerate for most environments, and it's obscenely pretty (well, except for the eldritch geometric horror that arises from the lake next to my home airport when I get a certain distance away from it, but I know that's part of the deal). X-plane VR gets a much better framerate, and can look really nice in certain weather and lighting settings, but the ground textures and other environmental assets seem to be like, early 2000s level. I like how it flies a lot better though, at least for the 172. I'm not sure how much of that is X-plane having a Super Serious Science flight model vs. simple preferences on my part for the X-plane 172's flight characteristics. I would say the X-plane one feels a lot weightier and kind of... swingier somehow? Having started in pre-VR MSFS and then hopping over to X-plane for VR, I'm finding it tough to hop back now, at least on the Cessnas. Not sure if anyone else noticed the same or if I'm being overly picky.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

Tactical Unicorn posted:

(well, except for the eldritch geometric horror that arises from the lake next to my home airport when I get a certain distance away from it, but I know that's part of the deal).

If you're talking about the huge terrain spikes that came with the December patch there's a mod that fixed it. Link

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thats supposed to be officially done in the next patch isn't it?

Other than... thread title...

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I was doing some flying in Sri Lanka and I saw what looked like a weird set of buildings on top of a rock. That whacky algorithm I thought, until I found out it was actually Sigiriya.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm getting increasingly charmed by flying around tubeliners under the night sky while listening to podcasts about the creepy and weird. It's kinda cushy and comforting, especially with a beer or glass of wine.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There is a great charm to it, even if they're easy to automate most things. I really like to either do short hops along the East Coast if I don't want to wait for long cruise periods, or I'll try to plan on doing some house chores during a cruise. It's a cheap way to feel like you're gaming when really you're folding laundry. :v:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There is a great charm to it, even if they're easy to automate most things. I really like to either do short hops along the East Coast if I don't want to wait for long cruise periods, or I'll try to plan on doing some house chores during a cruise. It's a cheap way to feel like you're gaming when really you're folding laundry. :v:

That too! Didn't understand how people could like games where you basically had to walk away from it but it is a little bit suspenseful leaving your plane in the hands of the autopilot while you go take a walk.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lord Stimperor posted:

That too! Didn't understand how people could like games where you basically had to walk away from it but it is a little bit suspenseful leaving your plane in the hands of the autopilot while you go take a walk.

I've taken a bathroom break while flying the Ka-50 in DCS World (in a non-combat free flight, of course). Considering that helicopters are impossible in the best of cases, it's amazing how capable that thing's autopilot is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the Vimy Ridge memorial in France looks like a Soviet era apartment block and the park looks like a roman amphitheatre.

:saddowns:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

slidebite posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the Vimy Ridge memorial in France looks like a Soviet era apartment block and the park looks like a roman amphitheatre.

And those surrounding squares make it look like an unbuilt residential grid from Cities: Skylines.

I checked both Bing and Google maps and neither have anything like those weird stripey squares. Bing maps doesn't even have that circular park nearby.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of cemeteries and memorials in that area. The one in your screenshot is Notre Dame de Lorette/Ablain St.-Nazaire French Military Cemetery; the "weird stripey squares" are full of headstones little crosses. The Canadian Vimy Ridge memorial is about 5km south-east, you might have flown over it without realising because without checking for myself I assume it also looks like a random tower block in a field. Still, isn't France the next target after Asobo releases Perfidious Albion?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

uvar posted:

Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of cemeteries and memorials in that area. The one in your screenshot is Notre Dame de Lorette/Ablain St.-Nazaire French Military Cemetery; the "weird stripey squares" are full of headstones little crosses. The Canadian Vimy Ridge memorial is about 5km south-east, you might have flown over it without realising because without checking for myself I assume it also looks like a random tower block in a field. Still, isn't France the next target after Asobo releases Perfidious Albion?

This appears to be the correct answer. There's the "amphitheatre" next to it also.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

slidebite posted:

The next World Update after the coming UK one is going to be France and Benelux. This is probably gonna be fixed end of March, when it's supposed to release.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hello, I'd like to report icing conditions over New Zealand this morning...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

uvar posted:

:shobon:

Thanks

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The black blue MSFS alpha tester skin doesn't show on other systems >:[

Only noticed after I wondered why that airport is so superbusy and looked on Twitch for giggles, just to find this.

--edit:
Wait, this isn't even a 787 in the stream? Cheapskates without the Premium edition don't see my big plane? :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 14, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I had no idea AirGoons had been around for this long

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Combat Pretzel posted:

The black blue MSFS alpha tester skin doesn't show on other systems >:[

Only noticed after I wondered why that airport is so superbusy and looked on Twitch for giggles, just to find this.

--edit:
Wait, this isn't even a 787 in the stream? Cheapskates without the Premium edition don't see my big plane? :(

Probably has "Use Generic Planes for other players" checked or whatever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

All the other planes and liveries seem to match, tho. I guess the Premium planes aren't shipped with the other editions. I once read the claim about the packages being encrypted, so I figured they're there and the game would use them. I guess not.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I have the basic version and the only AI / player tubeliner I've seen is the A320. I'll check my settings when I get a chance, I can understand the premium planes being missing but thinking about it I've never seen a 747 either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 747 is in the middle edition of MSFS, so if you're not seeing that one either, I guess they're not included on disk either. Ah too bad.

Would be nice if they had a system in place where it could optionally download models on the fly. For all I care, they could let plane developers specify a separate model. I heard through the grapevine that Asobo wants real-time AI traffic to represent the sky more accurately and are working on a lot of different low(er) resolution 3D models of common plane types to enable that. Same thing for third parties would be nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This whole story is stupid as gently caress. Somewhere else I'm a two-seater prop plane while in the 787, and I'm looking at another two-seater in-game that's a jetliner on stream. You'd figure the game would the very least sync the general plane type across multiplayer.

--edit:
Trying to fix some networking poo poo here, maybe it's related to that. Microsoft is apparently using IPv6 transition technology to guarantee end-to-end connectivity across protocols and boundaries. That stuff gets blocked by my router, if there's native IPv6, so it might explain why a lot of things don't work right, because P2P and poo poo.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 15, 2021

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Combat Pretzel posted:

The 747 is in the middle edition of MSFS, so if you're not seeing that one either, I guess they're not included on disk either. Ah too bad.

Would be nice if they had a system in place where it could optionally download models on the fly. For all I care, they could let plane developers specify a separate model. I heard through the grapevine that Asobo wants real-time AI traffic to represent the sky more accurately and are working on a lot of different low(er) resolution 3D models of common plane types to enable that. Same thing for third parties would be nice.

The 747-8? I only have the gamepass version and it's in that, I've flown it, but I've never seen the AI use it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Weren't we supposed to get monthly updates for MSFS2020? What happened to that? Or did I read wrong?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I only recall a 10 year support road map. MSFS2020 still needs tons of work, so I hope updates will be big and include lots of fixes and optimization. We know the devs are at least busy with the Xbox Series X port, and fixing up all of the really inaccurate landmarks and terrain that still exists. Some of it will take a very long time to complete. We know there is also co-op multiplayer coming too. Hoping for better SSD usage for faster load times, and better optimization for frame rate, but I have a feeling we are going to just have to wait a few more graphic card generations before we can play this with acceptable frame rate.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I only recall a 10 year support road map. MSFS2020 still needs tons of work, so I hope updates will be big and include lots of fixes and optimization. We know the devs are at least busy with the Xbox Series X port, and fixing up all of the really inaccurate landmarks and terrain that still exists. Some of it will take a very long time to complete. We know there is also co-op multiplayer coming too. Hoping for better SSD usage for faster load times, and better optimization for frame rate, but I have a feeling we are going to just have to wait a few more graphic card generations before we can play this with acceptable frame rate.
I don't think GPU is the problem at the moment, with a 3090 at 3440x1440 my GPU usage sits at 50-70% below 15000 feet with everything on Ultra. In the performance profiler MainThread tends to be the biggest issue and it seems like they have a lot of optimization to do with how the CPU uses multiple threads.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

Weren't we supposed to get monthly updates for MSFS2020? What happened to that? Or did I read wrong?

The update schedule was delayed a bit when the late jan update was pushed to mid february. That update (the UK world update) is coming tomorrow.

The explanation for the delay is that they've started to use some new data sources for their world data and it took them some extra time to integrate the data sources into their development process.

According to their development roadmap, the next update after tomorrow's is scheduled to come out on March 4th, with the France update scheduled to come out on March 30th after that. These dates are subject to change, of course.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 17, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This saturday, the A-mission for Air Goons, is a low risk strike near Beslan with choppers and planes.
B-mission on sunday at the same time is an ATC-practice oriented get-together.

Anyone can, and should, sign up.

Two airports, likely Tbilisi and something else. You can fly freely, land and take off, with goons being human ATC. This is meant to be a get-together practice event if you want to try DCS with bunch of people with SimpleRadio. You don't have to know anything, this will be very basic air traffic control, and we'll quickly run a quick lesson beforehand.

Sign up to any slot, and choose any plane you want from drop down yourself. We will make sure there's enough of all kinds of planes on both airfields we will be using. There's no weapons needed or anything. It's peace time. If you want to be be a controller, lower right box has slots for them. Huey choppa? That's fine. Want to fly the Spitfire? Sure. Hornet? Send it. Viper? Why not.

We will likely have Tower and App-Dep on both airfields. Charts will be provided in a timely manner once we settle on the airports.

Before you partake in this mission, you should know how to tune radios in your plane, and how to use SimpleRadioStandalone. You don't have to know much else, you'll basically be hand walked through it. If you don't know proper procedure, worry not, help shall be given since it is learning. Our controllers are likely to not be the most impeccable, so it's a wash anyway. We'll get the general streaks right.

Signups here, ask questions in discord
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=763897715

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

quote:

Take flight into a region rich with tradition, culture and heritage — not to mention a fair share of myth and legend. From seats of royalty to centers of finance, bustling metropolitan hubs to sprawling farmsteads and cliffside villages, the splendor of the United Kingdom and Ireland is on full display with new dramatic upgrades and visual enhancements.
How to prepare for this update:

If you are using the manual cache feature, please make sure to delete it via the in-game menu and create an updated version as we performed some backend technical updates.
Some packages in your community folder may not have been updated and, as a result, may have an unexpected impact on the title’s performance and behavior. Please move your community package(s) to another folder before relaunching the title if you suffer from stability issues or long loading times.
After you download the newest update for Microsoft Flight Simulator, head to the Marketplace to download the free World Update.

RELEASE NOTES 1.13.15.0
PERFORMANCE AND STABILITY

Fixed various crashes across the title
Fixed a specific crash while using Little Navmap in Bush trip activities

WORLD

Several terrain spikes have been fixed, including incorrect cases of water elevation issues
Water masks have been updated across various locations in the world
Reduced the frequency of water artifacts appearing on cliffs
Noise issue affecting clouds has been fixed

VR

The ‘Activate/Deactivate VR’ button is now always displayed in the main menu (bottom left corner of the screen) when a VR headset is plugged in. If no controls are displayed on this button, then it means that no controls are bound to this action.
When the toolbar is opened, it does not block interactions anymore with other menus displayed in front of it.
The cursor doesn’t jump anymore when moving across the Options menu in the cockpit.
Gray boxes don’t appear anymore when using the ‘Travel to’ feature in VR.
After leaving VR mode, the sim window is no longer forced on top and the player can drag and drop any other window over it.

PLANES

Fixed induced speed calculation bug with bi propeller engines
Fixed the plane crash detection when landing on iced water with crash detection ‘ON’
Fixed swapped screens in DA62 TestPilot version
Fixed VS Knob Turn not working on the Airbus A320Neo
Improved flaps system of aircraft: Aircraft creators can now move the wing surface’s position and camber with each flap system at each flap level
Improved ground effect wing to ground interaction system to avoid pitch dip at rotation on some aircraft

NAVIGATION

Latest AIRAC cycle has been integrated and is now available

INPUT

CH ECLIPSE YOKE default preset have been added
Fixed Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant ENG 1+2 don’t start engines

SDK/Devmode
Dev mode:

New version of the console is now available
Fixed an issue related to UTF8 encoding in the BGL compiler

Scenery Editor:

New feature to group, rename, re-order, hide and lock items in the scene list
Fixed freeze during saving
New airport light system
Add a button in airport properties to generate taxiway signs
Improve heightmap edition
Don’t lock runway profile extremity
Fix taxiway sign size (wasn’t correctly serialized in BGL)

Aircraft Editor:

Fixed an issue with the saving of “static_thrust”
Added a new button in the Camera section of the aircraft editor to teleport the current developer camera to the position, rotation and zoom of the selected one.
Creation of a new tool to edit only a camera file (cameras.cfg) : it matches with the camera section of the aircraft editor

WASM:

Security vulnerabilities in the WASI layer have been reported and fixed
Fixed StringFormat conversion to NanoVG alignment in GDI+ layer
Reworked MouseAircraft left gauge to provide clearer information

Simconnect:

Fixed flight load/save (SimConnect_FlightLoad / SimConnect_FlightSave)

POINTS OF INTEREST

One Blackfriars
BT Tower
Newfoundland
St George Wharf Tower
Southbank Tower
20 Fenchurch Street/ Sky Garden
The Leadenhall Building / 122 Leadenhall Street
HSBC / 8 Canada Square
Tower 42
25 Canada Square / City Bank
22 Bishopsgate
Landmark Pinnacle
Heron Tower
One Park Drive
The Scalpel
The Madison
100 Bishopsgate
Aykon London One
30 St Mary Axe (The Gherkin)
Strata
Palace of Holyroodhouse
Blenheim Palace
St. James’s Palace
Palace of Westminster
Glamis Castle
Buckingham Palace
Archbishop’s Palace, Maidstone
Wolvesey Castle
Floors Castle
Balmoral Castle
Hillsborough Castle
Dublin Castle
Mount Stuart House
Blair Castle
Hampton Court Palace
Rock of Cashel
Stirling Castle
Warwick Castle
Windsor Castle
Blarney Castle
Eilean Donan Castle
Edinburgh Castle
Caernarfon Castle
Canterbury Cathedral
Durham Cathedral
Fountains Abbey
Lincoln Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral
St. Paul’s Cathedral
Westminster Abbey
York Minster
Angel of the North
Blackpool Tower
British Airways i360 (Brighton)
Glenfinnan Viaduct
Humber Bridge
Jodrell Bank Observatory
Kelpies, The
Maritime Greenwich
Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
Royal Botanical Gardens
Royal Liver Building
Samson & Goliath (Cranes)
Spinnaker Tower
Stonehenge
Titanic Belfast
Tower of London
Wales Millenium Centre
Wallace Monument
All England Club
Anfield
Emirates Stadium
Goodison Park
Millennium Stadium
Old Trafford
St. James’ Park
Stamford Bridge
Twickenham Stadium
Villa Park
Wembley Stadium
Eden Project
London Eye
Southend Pier
Millennium Bridge London
Blackfriars Railway Bridge
Southwark Bridge
Cannon Street Railway Bridge
Blackfriars Bridge
Vauxhall Bridge
Grosvenor Bridge
One Canada Sqaure
Waterloo Bridge
Hungerford Bridge and Golden Jubilee Bridges
Lambeth Bridge
Chelsea Bridge
Albert Bridge London
Battersea Bridge
Battersea Railway Bridge
Wandsworth Bridge
Clifton Suspension Bridge
Forth Rail Bridge
Forth Road Bridge
Queensferry Crossing
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Bridge
Tees Transporter Bridge
Tower Bridge
Tyne Bridge
Westminster Bridge

…and more!

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Not nearly enough Ireland. Croke Park should be an enhanced landmark.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I see that the hardware market has bounced back to normal and I'm looking to sell off my T16000.m throttle/stick set with desk mounts, would any goons be interested?

I'll just toss them up on eBay tomorrow if not.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Neat little thing they changed in the new update is the size of taxi signs. Extremely noticable in VR, it's great! Might be a bit too big for realism but I don't care, realistic size was unreadable to me even on a monitor. They still glow too much at night though, washes out the lettering almost completely. But I'm tickled pink I can follow taxi instructions in VR now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Updated now the game won't connect to the Internet. Firewall is letting it so who knows.

Good job asobo. Good job.