Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BexGu posted:

Wait, Andromeda had Zaeed's son and didn't make him a companion? God add one more to the gently caress up pile.

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/Bain_Massani

quote:

He brought no family with him. Bain's mother died when he was a kid and he never met his father. All he knew is he was a big-time mercenary who gave him his name and nothing else.

Bain traveled to Andromeda aboard the Nexus, and left the station after the Nexus Uprising as an exile. Since then, he has been traveling the Heleus Cluster and waging a one-man war on the kett.

If asked why he hates the kett, Bain simply points out they're ugly and offensive to his aesthetics. If asked about his role in the uprising, Bain explains he didn't like the way leadership played god and decided who to wake up. He lent his talents to the mutineers, and when the uprising failed, struck out on his own because he deemed most of the other exiles as unsavory assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pattonesque posted:

here are the best missions in The Mass Effect Setting ("Themes") in no particular order save for:

THE SUICIDE MISSION (A+ No. 1 no serious challenger)

Shadow Broker ship
Citadel archives
Grissom Academy
Archangel recruitment
Thane recruitment
Kasumi heist
Tuchanka genophage cure/sabotage
Citadel coup
Liam's loyalty (only MEA entry on the list and even then it's a bit of a stretch)
ME1 final mission (battling up the side of the Citadel with Sovereign in the background was v. cool)
Virmire

I actually think the Salarian and Turian ark quests were better than Liams. And yea, Shadow Broker is absolutely number one! I do put Leviathan up there with it as well, just because I’m a sucker for underwater poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

chaosapiant posted:

I actually think the Salarian and Turian ark quests were better than Liams. And yea, Shadow Broker is absolutely number one! I do put Leviathan up there with it as well, just because I’m a sucker for underwater poo poo.

I could see an argument for those. Honestly the ME2-style missions were the best part about Andromeda and they should just ditch open worlds for ME4 and do that until infinity

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pattonesque posted:

I could see an argument for those. Honestly the ME2-style missions were the best part about Andromeda and they should just ditch open worlds for ME4 and do that until infinity

I agree with this. I'm an Andromeda apologist, but it's definitely a game where I don't think the open world benefited it. And I actually love the open world in Dragon Age Inquisition, so to me Bioware does know how to make a decent open world game. But yea, I'd love for them to go back to the "wide variety of tidy locations and story beats" feel that ME2/3 use.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think that they can do open world, but those open worlds need to be constrained.

Emerald Graves is densely packed with things to do and is relatively small compared to the Hissing wastes which is so ridiculously large you need to ride your horse for literally minutes to get from one point of interest to the other.

One of the best planets in ME:A is the jungle planet that you can't use the car in, because it's purpose built and interconnected, rather than set pieces separated by empty padding.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

chaosapiant posted:

I agree with this. I'm an Andromeda apologist, but it's definitely a game where I don't think the open world benefited it. And I actually love the open world in Dragon Age Inquisition, so to me Bioware does know how to make a decent open world game. But yea, I'd love for them to go back to the "wide variety of tidy locations and story beats" feel that ME2/3 use.

yeah, i liked the open world in DA:I but it feels misused, ME works best when its curated but you get a good idea of the size and scope of the world. MEA open world is either poorly placed combat or driving the space equivilant of your cousins midlife crisis all terrain truck. also the UI gives loving cyberpunk a run for its money of worst RPG.

I started playing it ME:A again because this thread and i am trying to do a bunch of busy work side quests and its just annoying, some of the stuff is solid and interesting but it suffers from never knowing which quests matter/go place or are just filler.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i hope you are using mods!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sally posted:

i hope you are using mods!!

gently caress no. just playing on ps5. its fine, just slow. also whoever designed the loving glyph puzzles should never work in the industry again.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Sudokus with numbers: easy, relaxing, even fun sometimes. Sudokus with glyphs: tedious, awful, confusing, takes 4x as long as regular sudokus.

Not ironyposting either. It's just pointless, tedious busywork. Also the glyphs need to be way more visually distinct than just randomly arranged hashmarks.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I like Mass Effect and am excited to play them all again.

Liara is good. Liara is life.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

I like Mass Effect and am excited to play them all again.

Liara is good. Liara is life.

i am a Tali man myself but Liara is cool too as is garrus. better than ashely or that girl who hosed varrens.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you're playing the full trilogy then Liara and Garrus probably benefit from having the best through lines of all the various romance options since they're romancable party members in all three games (well, kinda for Liara in ME2 but her quest absolutely slaps) feel the closest to becoming Shepard's main sidekicks at least in my opinion, and are pretty heavily plot relevant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Garrus isn't romanceable in the first game, either. But I do agree that he's one of the few options besides Liara who actually kind of makes sense.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The girl who hosed Varrens? What? I’ve played this series numerous times and somehow I thankfully missed out on whatever that bit of lore is.

Also Kasumi with fully upgraded Shadow Strike is the most powerful ME2 companion. But Zaeed and Grunt are the most entertaining.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

exquisite tea posted:

Garrus isn't romanceable in the first game, either. But I do agree that he's one of the few options besides Liara who actually kind of makes sense.

Oh yeah, duh :downs:

I like Garrus a lot because he has a really good arc that smoothly transitions from game to game, going from idolizing Shepard to being bitter about his failures in trying to emulate Shepard and sinking into an inferiority complex, to being handed a huge responsibility by his people to which he rises admirably and finally coming into his own. Letting him win the shooting contest on the Citadel and his sheer disbelief and joy that he's finally managed to do something better than Shepard is :unsmith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Oh yeah, duh :downs:

I like Garrus a lot because he has a really good arc that smoothly transitions from game to game, going from idolizing Shepard to being bitter about his failures in trying to emulate Shepard and sinking into an inferiority complex, to being handed a huge responsibility by his people to which he rises admirably and finally coming into his own. Letting him win the shooting contest on the Citadel and his sheer disbelief and joy that he's finally managed to do something better than Shepard is :unsmith:

My only gripe with that final scene is giving you the choice to miss intentionally. Shepard missing and Garrus hitting should have just been the default way the scene plays out.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And hitting the target just to show up poor Garrus would be extremely a renegade interrupt

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

The girl who hosed Varrens? What? I’ve played this series numerous times and somehow I thankfully missed out on whatever that bit of lore is.

I think they're talking about Jack... which is really desperately misreading Jack's character arc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nine-gear crow posted:

My only gripe with that final scene is giving you the choice to miss intentionally. Shepard missing and Garrus hitting should have just been the default way the scene plays out.

Yeah, agreed, but then that would mean the player avatar isn't the super most bestest perfect person at everything ever so

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I cannot wait for the towers of hanoi puzzle on Noveria again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
unironically. i have a lot of nostalgia for that game/(period of my life).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I cannot wait for the towers of hanoi puzzle on Noveria again.

I love how when you beat it it does an off-brand james bond sting for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurieg posted:

I love how when you beat it it does an off-brand james bond sting for some reason.

And that's the only place it ever does that too. It's so weird and I love it. Especially if you just skip the puzzle by slapping 100 omnigel on it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress no. just playing on ps5. its fine, just slow. also whoever designed the loving glyph puzzles should never work in the industry again.

By the glyph key things. Should be some in almost every shop including your ship.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Replace ME1's Simon Says hacking minigame with more Towers of Hanoi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
BioWare went to poo poo not long after they abandoned Towers puzzles, coincidence?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can find one in DA:I but it's more just an easter egg/bit of self-ribbing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always bring Wrex so he can advise that guy to eat those people.

Maybe one day it will happen.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sydin posted:

You can find one in DA:I but it's more just an easter egg/bit of self-ribbing.

Isn't there a broken towers of Hanoi in the citadel DLC lampshading it?

Sydin posted:

Yeah, agreed, but then that would mean the player avatar isn't the super most bestest perfect person at everything ever so

It also depends on my specialization. I'd my Shep doesn't regularly use a sniper rifle I miss the shot because she shouldn't be at Garrus level performance with a weapon she never used.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Isn't there a broken towers of Hanoi in the citadel DLC lampshading it?

It's an unplayable game in the citadel arcade from the dlc. Can't remember the exact quote from the pc but it's self-aware, yeah.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thank gently caress it was a ToH puzzle and not a sliding block puzzle, my brain just can't wrap my head around those.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I picked up ME by watching one of my roommates play it in college. I came into the living room and saw him fumbling with the ToH puzzle and got really excited because we had just covered the puzzle on my last comp sci 101 programming assignment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

i feel like with tali and garrus, the writers wernt really sure what was going underneath the armor or the suits or whatever. like i am pretty sure tali/quarians were intended to me more cyborgy or whatever,

and do turians even have dicks? are they like reptiles with two or are they like ducks where its like a weird canon thing that shoots out and than disinigrates/falls off.

chaosapiant posted:

By the glyph key things. Should be some in almost every shop including your ship.

ty.

Kurieg posted:

I think they're talking about Jack... which is really desperately misreading Jack's character arc.

no. kelly or whatever her name was. i am being hypobolic, but i swore there was some email about her being really weird with animals and poo poo.

nah jack is cool.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Jack owns, haters levitate

Aliens romancing aliens I mean sure why not who gives a drat but also lol that they chickened out and decided that Quarians just look like space elves with slightly weird hands

FemShep gotta read a whole book to figure out what to do with Garrus or Thane, ManShep conveniently has all his romance options human (or human looking) babes and dudes

Maybe it is ManShep who is the real space racist

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I thought Kelly was the one who had sex with varren.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Mordin's advice about Garrus is the funniest thing. Beware that chafing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Mordin mentions at one point that someone on the Normandy has varren scale itch which usually only is transmitted sexually

Kelly mentions finding aliens attractive

Varren are aliens

QED

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Is it show off your Shepard time?

Yes it is

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like with tali and garrus, the writers wernt really sure what was going underneath the armor or the suits or whatever. like i am pretty sure tali/quarians were intended to me more cyborgy or whatever,

and do turians even have dicks? are they like reptiles with two or are they like ducks where its like a weird canon thing that shoots out and than disinigrates/falls off.

Turians are evolved hawks / falcons from a planet were every create has some sort of armor cause the planet's thinner ozone layer let in more radiation them normal.

One small but significant bit of world building is that you can tell which species evolved from prey or predators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BexGu posted:

One small but significant bit of world building is that you can tell which species evolved from prey or predators.
Krogans are prey, for example.

We never do get a straight answer as to how krogan reproduce.