Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Had a coworker in a previous job that used two periods.. Almost exclusively.. I could never figure out what that was about..

I also had a coworker at the previous job doing that. Eventually I finally asked why is he ending his sentences with .. and he said "Why not?"

I decided not to discuss it further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why not?..

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Because..??

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Merijn posted:

My boss is notorious for creating tickets that just seem like they're mental notes for him, and are supposed to be typed out in full at a later point. Just 10-20 words without interpunction or caps and usually without a screenshot of the actual problem. We always have to coax it out of him.

Bob accounting breakfix Kodak vape scanner, email

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Intermittent ellipses read like last words

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Reading heavy ellipsis just makes me feel like I'm out of breath and I hate it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
*IMs you*

hey...

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Renegret posted:

*IMs you*

hey...

Heyyy :biglips:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It was like 9pm on a Tuesday and he was still online working because something had broken in Prod, but I will admit I have messaged one of the IT guys assigned to my team a "u up?".

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Good morning...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

suuma posted:

Good morning...

gm.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
hey..........................

the..................... solution..................... is.................... to................ answer...................... like................ this................ whenever.................. they.................. do................... it.....................

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Had a coworker in a previous job that used two periods.. Almost exclusively.. I could never figure out what that was about..

On my phone double space automatically translates to a period. Maybe he's putting a period and then double spacing (because old typing best practices)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

evobatman posted:

hey..........................

the..................... solution..................... is.................... to................ answer...................... like................ this................ whenever.................. they.................. do................... it.....................

Incorrect.

The real power-play is to add an extra full stop at the end of each sequential sentence.. See how far you can take it before they catch on...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I got a real actual bonus for the first time in my career! It was the lowest percentage they said on my offer letter minus the 3% the company didn't make the target, but that'd be rona's fault but it's still delivered as promised. No weird administrative turnarounds to disqualify me from it, no "yeah no bonus at all for anyone, we had to do away with it, sorry", no last-minute "aha, because you didn't fill out X form you now owe US a bonus!" stuff. My manager who is a very different personality than me gave me a very positive performance review last month.

Kinda wondering why "you're doing great, keep it up" came out to "you have been given the lowest possible bonus" but that just means I can slack off more this year as long as it goes unnoticed!

Given that I've been really struggling hard to deal with impostor syndrome since before the lockdown, and trying to pick up a lot of IaC and Powershell beyond the basics, it's such a weird feeling to have some kind of reward or recognition. Even if taxes eat a chunk, this is still really good stuff.

Plus a 2.8% raise, and let's be honest, we all know raises don't happen without promotions or getting new jobs in different companies, so that ain't bad to help keep pace with inflation.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MJP posted:

Plus a 2.8% raise, and let's be honest, we all know raises don't happen without promotions or getting new jobs in different companies, so that ain't bad to help keep pace with inflation.

This really isn’t true, it takes some YOLO’ing but I’ve been negotiating raises and bonuses for years now. You can teach an organization not to offer you weak poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MJP posted:

I got a real actual bonus for the first time in my career! It was the lowest percentage they said on my offer letter minus the 3% the company didn't make the target, but that'd be rona's fault but it's still delivered as promised. No weird administrative turnarounds to disqualify me from it, no "yeah no bonus at all for anyone, we had to do away with it, sorry", no last-minute "aha, because you didn't fill out X form you now owe US a bonus!" stuff. My manager who is a very different personality than me gave me a very positive performance review last month.

Kinda wondering why "you're doing great, keep it up" came out to "you have been given the lowest possible bonus" but that just means I can slack off more this year as long as it goes unnoticed!

Given that I've been really struggling hard to deal with impostor syndrome since before the lockdown, and trying to pick up a lot of IaC and Powershell beyond the basics, it's such a weird feeling to have some kind of reward or recognition. Even if taxes eat a chunk, this is still really good stuff.

you should get a new job. don't be happy with scraps. this is one of the best times to be in the tech industry and companies are bending over backwards paying stupid money to get the talent they need.

I'll bet you the value of your 2.8% raise that you can get a 28% raise or more if you look externally for a few weeks.

my most recent raise was an extra 30k, or roughly 30% more than what I was making at the time. There was a promotion involved, but I still got 30k instead of 13k because I negotiated, and had a competing job offer in hand.

My feedback was also perfect in every category, "you're doing great keep it up." You gotta make your employer want you, and that means you need to aggressively negotiate.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 16, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MJP posted:

I was just informed that they tie our bonuses to "professional goals" for the year, and I have to set mine.

My professional goal is to be employed still, I got other poo poo in my life this year. I had trouble focusing to get certs and poo poo before I decided to rewrite my whole life, the year my life is going nuts isn't one thats going to see me advancing in my job

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually not really a fan of the stuff I do - Azure engineering doesn't really involve the tweaking, futzing, and figuring poo poo out within Azure. It's more coding than I enjoy or feel comfortable doing.

I'm keeping my ears to the ground for better offers if I can do what I do minus ARM templates but the bonus and my comp are really decent for my skill set in northern NJ, and I also have way more job-jumping on my resume for lateral moves than most. I think my career average is 1.8 years in a job over a total of 16.5 years' total career, 1.7 years in a job since I finally got to being a sysadmin in 2012.

For now I'm happy in the balance but I need to overcome a lot of personal hyperfocus problems that have led me to just bail out whenever. I'm also trying to think of what comes next since I don't see myself moving into more codey stuff for Azure stuff, and I don't see myself becoming a middle manager. It's a big giant company so I'll be happy with moves into other roles.

Fortunately it's just my wife and me, no debts other than a mortgage, and we're doing well at saving for retirement and life. She just got herself a promotion and a decent raise in a job she enjoys, so there's less pressure on me to Make More $$$ since the DINK life is executing well so far.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's been talked about before, but I don't think you're going to have much luck doing cloud stuff without some sort of IoC / Automation development

Sub ARM for Terraform, but still looking at code heavy environments

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Being stuck in ticket purgatory is the loving worst

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

RFC2324 posted:

I was just informed that they tie our bonuses to "professional goals" for the year, and I have to set mine.

My professional goal is to be employed still, I got other poo poo in my life this year. I had trouble focusing to get certs and poo poo before I decided to rewrite my whole life, the year my life is going nuts isn't one thats going to see me advancing in my job

Somebody pointed out that 2020 Performance Evaluations should mostly fall into one of two categories:

Did Not Lose Your poo poo During 2020 --- Exceeds Expectations

Lost Your poo poo But Still Showed Up To Work For Most Of 2020 --- Meets Expectations

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Relentless posted:

Somebody pointed out that 2020 Performance Evaluations should mostly fall into one of two categories:

Lost Your poo poo But Still Showed Up To Work For Most Of 2020 --- Meets Expectations

this is for 2021, and we all gotta be trying to recover from 2020! or something

gonna be a ton of poo poo 2021 reviews tho, I'm not the only one who figured out a whole new person during 2020

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Relentless posted:

I wish I had not already done my employee's evaluations or I would have used this scale.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My yearly evaluations are coming up in March, and I'm going to propose this scale. It's not like the actual values affect my potential compensation, which was decided when the budget was set in this fiscal year in Dec...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Self evals are due and most of my answers to the ridiculous questions are, well you made us come into the hospital everyday during the worst pandemic the world has ever seen and I'm still alive and still managed to excel at my job. The end. Also, if you don't promote me this year I'll be looking for a new job after we get done this meeting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Gotta love when you find out the day before deploying a whole bunch of IP phones that the customer's network doesn't use DHCP so every phone will need a static IP address programmed on it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Gotta love when you find out the day before deploying a whole bunch of IP phones that the customer's network doesn't use DHCP so every phone will need a static IP address programmed on it.

I hope a "whole bunch" is in the two-figures, and not in the three-, four-, or god forbid five-figures.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanatosian posted:

I hope a "whole bunch" is in the two-figures, and not in the three-, four-, or god forbid five-figures.

Only 50 something phones, would have been a giant pain in the rear end if it was a larger deployment.

I swear, it's like pulling teeth to get any kind of basic information out of customers at the best of times, and the sales guys always punt it to the installers figuring we'll sort it out when we get there. "Customer didn't fill out out the forms saying how they actually want the call flow and Auto Attendant system to work? *shrug* well, they already paid for the system so my job here is done!"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Entropic posted:

Only 50 something phones, would have been a giant pain in the rear end if it was a larger deployment.

I swear, it's like pulling teeth to get any kind of basic information out of customers at the best of times, and the sales guys always punt it to the installers figuring we'll sort it out when we get there. "Customer didn't fill out out the forms saying how they actually want the call flow and Auto Attendant system to work? *shrug* well, they already paid for the system so my job here is done!"

Most customers don't have any loving clue how any of this stuff works/what it is until you ask them in very simple terms "When I call your main number, what happens?"; I've done a bunch of small business migrations and it's always a disaster unless I sit down and figure out the call flow myself (or get access to whatever system they're already using to look myself).

The worst is, after going through all of this, limitations/differences of the new system they're using and the first thing is whining about having to do X instead of Y or "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO RECORD A NEW THING!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?"

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Relentless posted:

This is how I’m handling evals for my reports and woe to anyone above me pushing back at them.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

MF_James posted:

Most customers don't have any loving clue how any of this stuff works/what it is until you ask them in very simple terms "When I call your main number, what happens?"; I've done a bunch of small business migrations and it's always a disaster unless I sit down and figure out the call flow myself (or get access to whatever system they're already using to look myself).

The worst is, after going through all of this, limitations/differences of the new system they're using and the first thing is whining about having to do X instead of Y or "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO RECORD A NEW THING!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?"

I find it is so easy to be recognised as some kind of godly power because you say to people "when I call your number what would you like to happen" or whatever, instead of just going "well we gave you the really complicated form and you didn't fill it in sucks to be you"

I am internal IT department though, my users and my customers so it pays to take the time

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

angry armadillo posted:

I find it is so easy to be recognised as some kind of godly power because you say to people "when I call your number what would you like to happen" or whatever, instead of just going "well we gave you the really complicated form and you didn't fill it in sucks to be you"

I am internal IT department though, my users and my customers so it pays to take the time

Yeah, our sales guys are bad about never fully putting the effort in to try to understand everything a customer’s old system is actually doing before we set them up with a new one, so we inevitably get the “so how do I [feature that was never mentioned to programmers/installers until this moment] on the new system?” question on install day.

Like the phone system I installed the other day, I’m now getting asked to add a whole bunch of coverage appearances on various phones, which I’m not even sure if this system can do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We get that a lot - a PoE switch for a few telephones is a different requirement than one to run 10 CCTV cameras all with IR illuminators and demisters. Of course all this was explained by the customer in the first contact they had with sales, but for some reason sales feel the need to simplify the requirements.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

We get that a lot - a PoE switch for a few telephones is a different requirement than one to run 10 CCTV cameras all with IR illuminators and demisters. Of course all this was explained by the customer in the first contact they had with sales, but for some reason sales feel the need to simplify the requirements.

explain to sales that more complicated requirements can mean a bigger bill, and hence, a bigger commission

or if they don't get a commission structure like that, go the value add route. a more complicated SoW makes you guys look like you are delivering more to the customer(because you are) and it makes everyone happy

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

He has... definitely become a much better writer than he was then

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It finally happened; I spent most of a day unwittingly reenacting the DNS Haiku.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mattfl posted:

The end. Also, if you don't promote me this year I'll be looking for a new job after we get done during this meeting.

gently caress it, go for the power play. Once the promotion is definitely ruled out, pull out your phone and start logging on to job boards and flipping your availability.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A few weeks back I found I couldn't log in to one of our vmware hosts with the password on file. Nobody said they'd changed the password. The host is managed in vsphere, but the local password was still needed for monitoring alerts. Today all the alerts spontaneously started working again and I could log back in to the host using the creds still cached in my browser. Nobody said they'd changed the password back to the original one.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

bitterandtwisted posted:

A few weeks back I found I couldn't log in to one of our vmware hosts with the password on file. Nobody said they'd changed the password. The host is managed in vsphere, but the local password was still needed for monitoring alerts. Today all the alerts spontaneously started working again and I could log back in to the host using the creds still cached in my browser. Nobody said they'd changed the password back to the original one.

:psyduck:

Someone lied.