Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

teagone posted:

You forgot sexual abuse, misogyny, and just abhorrently toxic behavior in general.

That Snyder just made some movies a person doesn't like shouldn't immediately have them draw comparisons to some of the worst loving people to exist. Something is broken if that happens imo, and is worth pursuing self-reflection if whoever finds themselves having that sort of immediate reaction because gently caress dude, lol.

[Edit] I know people want to justify their opinions, but drat, don't do it by immediately associating people who disagree with actual really, really lovely individuals who should be fired into the sun. Be better.

100% agreed, that post was disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Don't say cripple

My bad.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I keep seeing people in this thread say the only Snyder movie they like is Dawn of the Dead, and for those who do believe that, I'm curious, what do you see in Dawn Of The Dead that you don't see in his other movies?

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

I keep seeing people in this thread say the only Snyder movie they like is Dawn of the Dead, and for those who do believe that, I'm curious, what do you see in Dawn Of The Dead that you don't see in his other movies?

Richard cheese montages

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Almost Blue posted:

Celebrity Lookalike Zombie Sniper Challenge

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Almost Blue posted:

James Gunn.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

I mean that's not strictly true for me, but my big hangups with Snyder are:

1) While he can frame some really nice individual shots, his action is surprisingly wonky for me. It's a mix of it often being stiff, not just in slow motion, and the internal geography of the scene not always being clear.

2) I think that Snyder is intentionally shooting for this operatic style that is interesting, but I think he falls short. Part of it is that I don't think the scripts he works with always match. Like Man of Steel has these Tree of Life aspirations with Lois talking about tinkling and Clark being called a dick-splash. But I think beyond that, it can often be difficult to really connect with his characters.

Dawn of the Dead is a B-Movie, but it has an engaging cast and kinetic action that made it appeal to people in a way that his later work was often offputting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hey in BvS what's with the scene where Perry lets Lois use the helicopter "not for a story" - is that a hint that he knows about Clark?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah it’s hinted several times that Perry knows Clark is Superman, but is also decent enough (despite his outward personality) to not let anyone else know.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
But the real reason he pretends not to know is so he can repeatedly clown on The Superman for being a nerd.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

well why not posted:

Hey in BvS what's with the scene where Perry lets Lois use the helicopter "not for a story" - is that a hint that he knows about Clark?

Maybe, but it’s also a callback to earlier when Lois wants to fly to DC to hunt down a story and Perry makes her fly coach. Perry knows Lois will do anything for a story so he constantly has to rein her in but when she says it’s NOT for a story then he knows it’s serious.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Maybe, but it’s also a callback to earlier when Lois wants to fly to DC to hunt down a story and Perry makes her fly coach. Perry knows Lois will do anything for a story so he constantly has to rein her in but when she says it’s NOT for a story then he knows it’s serious.

If I remember correctly, I love that in the theatrical cut this bit with Lois arguing about air-fare rates while opening and shutting the door cuts directly to Mercy opening double-doors to Lex's drawing room for a senator.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 17, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gatts posted:

Whedon did Avengers. Ergo proxy victor tango foxtrot same success. They also thought they were meeting all the complaints people had. You have to think like a business person.

There's an amazing story on the Die Hard DVD that i always think about. It was in a bit talking about the many Die Hard clones. One of them, 'Sudden Death' was about Jean Claude Van Damme fighting terrorists at an Ice Hockey game. This guy on the commentary track was walking past an executive's office on a monday while he was looking at its box office numbers, which were not good. The executive yells 'how did this happen? We had a whole stadium full of hostages'

I think that sums up the relationship between money and art better than any other thought or piece of writing I've ever encountered.

The Cameo posted:

Jon Peters. Joel Silver is a guy who tends to go to bat for his creatives, sometimes to the detriment of the movie. Jon Peters is the guy who basically got to the top of Hollywood through dumb luck and nearly destroyed a studio before just loving off and counting the free money he would get from Batman movies being made.

Joel Silver is, no poo poo, the reason we have the Matrix movies. He actually fought for the Wachowski's to have the control over the films that they did.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Cool

Hahahaha. I recognize like two things from this. Is that Ultron and the Silver Samurai they put in The Wolverine?
This is gonna be good

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 17, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just looked Jon Peters and lol:

quote:

According to Smith, Peters had expressed disdain for most of Superman's iconic characteristics by demanding that Superman was never to fly nor appear in his trademark costume. He also suggested Sean Penn for the role based on his performance as a death row inmate in Dead Man Walking, which he said that Penn had the eyes of a "caged animal, a loving killer." Peters then demanded that the third act of the film include a fight between Superman and a giant spider, to be unveiled in an homage to King Kong. Peters later produced the 1999 steampunk western action comedy Wild Wild West, the finale of which featured a giant mechanical spider.

Smith met Peters after completing a script, to which Peters instructed him to include a robot sidekick for Brainiac, a fight scene between Brainiac and two polar bears and a marketable "space dog" pet similar to the Star Wars character Chewbacca. Smith inserted them into his script, but then the project was abandoned and the script discarded.

In Look, Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman, Peters admitted that the Superman franchise was problematic for him, stating: "The elements that I was focusing on were away from the heart, it was more leaning towards 'Star Wars' in a sense, you know. I didn't realize the human part of it, I didn't have that."

He subsequently produced Superman Returns, the 2006 Superman film directed by Bryan Singer, and executive-produced Man of Steel, the 2013 Superman film directed by Zack Snyder. Peters was banned from the Man of Steel set by producer Christopher Nolan.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Hahahaha. I recognize like two things from this. Is that Ultron and the Silver Samurai they put in The Wolverine?
This is gonna be good

lmao

I feel like I saw Shredder but then maybe there are two of them?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That pic forgets the predator thing at the end of the predator

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That Predator makes my stomach hurt. Jfc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not a predator, it’s a predator iron man suit

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I feel bad for those other rad silver dudes that they weren't cool enough to get photoshopped onto GPU box art.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Firstborn posted:

Cool

This is gonna be good

I see Megatron(or maybe Galvatron) and the war machine thing from the first Thor

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Neurolimal posted:

I think a Whedon Justice League would have been perfectly servicable had it been his movie from the start; it wouldn't have been pretty, the plot would be incredibly throwaway, but it'd have enough cute character moments to make it entirely watchable. What you'd expect from a TV writer/director basically.

Instead we got a weird mutant child between two directors with extremely discordant styles & focus. Good job WB.

We got those cute Whedon character moments though. The thirst, the brunch, the ~smiles~ that mean it's fun*

And like all Whedon works, it's poo poo! But he should have gotten his own full cut I agree. Maybe his edit will end up on YouTube one day, it would be pretty easy; what, 80-90% of the theatrical?

*If superman keeps saving the world, but doesn't smile then there's just no way to tell if he cares, he could hate the world for all I know!? Why Zack why would you do this to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

We got those cute Whedon character moments though. The thirst, the brunch, the ~smiles~ that mean it's fun*

The boobies

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Saw this, found it neat

https://twitter.com/spoki83/status/1300010938230284288?s=20

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Blood Boils posted:

And like all Whedon works, it's poo poo!

I'm going to give Whedon credit for the shot where Flash saves the people in the truck, and we see Superman carrying a whole building. That's it. That's the only thing I'll miss.

This is whole aspect ratio thing is going to break the minds of all the people that fought against 4x3 pan & scan movies in the late 90s/early 2000s.

roffels fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 17, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I'm beginning to grapple with the fact that "you see more" is now being used against widescreen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Don't worry. With this release is the only time anyone will ever give a poo poo about aspect ratio. No one talked about it before and no one will talk about it after this release.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Surely, there must be a most ideal screen shape given human eyesight. Some kind of ellipse, maybe?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What is the aspect ratio and framerate of real life?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

4:20
69fps

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Roth posted:

planck time is basically a single frame IRL

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I am very excited to watch Zack Snyder’s justice league

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
couple of comparison gifs

made by this person https://twitter.com/Dailter_Fran

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
That they built the suit to do that in the second gif because they anticipated the studio interference is such a perfect summation of the entire project in microcosm.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Roth posted:

Aspect ratio somewhere in the region of 1:1.66 assuming you have two eyes. Framerate somewhere between ~30 and 200, if the US military is believed. The trouble is, our eyes go all over the place because they have good resolution mainly in the centre and pretty bad resolution in the periphery, so filling vision is something of a moving target.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

That they built the suit to do that in the second gif because they anticipated the studio interference is such a perfect summation of the entire project in microcosm.

It's fascinating, because Zack basically managed to shoot a lot of his stuff on the sly with the intent of having it released in some sort of Ultimate Edition thing after he gave them a heavily edited down theatrical version.

One would think he'd have learned to just make a 2 hour film but I guess some people are just stubborn

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I know there's still some people who think they shot like 2 hours additional footage for The Snyder Cut, so here's a link to dispell that notion

https://thedirect.com/article/justice-league-snyder-cut-reshoots-additional-scenes

"In a recent appearance on the LightCast Podcast, producer Deborah Snyder revealed that production only shot “literally one scene” for "three days" during the October 2020 additional filming for Zack Snyder’s Justice League. This tacked-on production was later confirmed to have been for a 4-minute scene involving a Knightmare sequence with Ben Affleck's Batman, Jared Leto's Joker, Amber Heard's Mera, Joe Manganiello's Deathstroke, and possibly a few others "

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

josh04 posted:

Aspect ratio somewhere in the region of 1:1.66 assuming you have two eyes. Framerate somewhere between ~30 and 200, if the US military is believed. The trouble is, our eyes go all over the place because they have good resolution mainly in the centre and pretty bad resolution in the periphery, so filling vision is something of a moving target.

Likewise, concept of human "framerate" is an inadequate metaphor because human visual perception in general is extraordinarily complex and there are multiple types of motion detection at work. Real life doesn't have a framerate because your retina doesn't work like a film strip or CMOS sensor and your brain isn't a simple display adapter for raw signal input.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McSpanky posted:

Likewise, concept of human "framerate" is an inadequate metaphor because human visual perception in general is extraordinarily complex and there are multiple types of motion detection at work. Real life doesn't have a framerate because your retina doesn't work like a film strip or CMOS sensor and your brain isn't a simple display adapter for raw signal input.
In university I took a course on Physiological Psychology. It was all about how our brain processes inputs from our sensory organs and interprets them. The fact that our vision works as well as it does is mind blowing considering how hacked together our visual system is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
our eyes are literally backwards and upside down so our brains do all the work making us able to see :v: