Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Eclipse12 posted:

Cut him on purpose or on accident?

Ron Bass was a real low-down no good scoundrel. I don't care for blood in wrestling. In MMA it doesn't bother me at all, but for some reason in wrestling it's just too much.

Also I bet Brutus really began to hate that his gimmick in life, both in and out of the ring, was "face destruction."

Oh on purpose, and it was scarier with a big 'censored' tag over the screen, you just saw Brutus flopping here and there and they showed it on Saturday morning after cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpZC1hgaKc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

A talking coyote posted:

It’s cause he’s a mega racist and misogynist he just also happens to hate republicans somehow.

So you're saying Jim Cornette is from Boston?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

why do wrestlers all have bodies that look kinda beerdad

like most of them look all bloated and lovely (but obv pretty big and strong)

is it because
- they are all alholics/drug addicts
- its something to do with steroids
- they are actually realistic bodies for people who need to be strong and pretty agile, rather than fashion/movie bodies
- they are actually unfit shitlords

john cena seems to actually be buff and cut but most of them look like sausage meat stuffed in a sock

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THd-MjU3104

live live live

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

is it because
- they are actually realistic bodies for people who need to be strong and pretty agile, rather than fashion/movie bodies

john cena seems to actually be buff and cut but most of them look like sausage meat stuffed in a sock

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gentle Autist posted:

is it because

If you took hard falls all the time, wouldn't you want to have a some fat for cushioning?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gentle Autist posted:

is it because

Being super cut/buff doesn't make for great wrestlers. See the Ultimate Warrior.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

more cushin for the pushin

Mumbling Nuggets
Jan 14, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
More cushion for the suplexin

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ironic that you mentioned Cena because he's one of the biggest drinkers/alcoholics in the biz or he was at one time, the body is just a matter of discipline and genetics and all that other stuff. CM punk was straight edge no drugs/etc and he had the body of your local roofer

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Supreme Allah posted:

Ironic that you mentioned Cena because he's one of the biggest drinkers/alcoholics in the biz or he was at one time, the body is just a matter of discipline and genetics and all that other stuff. CM punk was straight edge no drugs/etc and he had the body of your local roofer

Its called steroids fam

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cena's alcohol tolerance is loving legendary.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lid posted:

Its called steroids fam

'all that other stuff'

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

Cena's alcohol tolerance is loving legendary.

Where does he fall on a scale from CM Punk to Andre the Giant?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

A talking coyote posted:

Probably at the limit of non-giant humans. No normal mortal can best Andre.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_7kFpwpv8k

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

I have never heard of this before and it's just amazing how he's piling up the lies upon each other with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE6F7md1LQ

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

A talking coyote posted:

Or Scott Hall?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

is it because

It varies from person to person. The travel schedule of a pro-wrestler can be brutal, and it can be hard to maintain perfect shape on the road. Overall though, it's mostly the third option. Turns out you really don't need perfectly sculpted muscles and 2% bodyfat to have functional athletic ability.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Takuan posted:

It varies from person to person. The travel schedule of a pro-wrestler can be brutal, and it can be hard to maintain perfect shape on the road. Overall though, it's mostly the third option. Turns out you really don't need perfectly sculpted muscles and 2% bodyfat to have functional athletic ability.

Prior to Vince taking over the industry during the 1980s with his vision of what a wrestler should look like, most wrestlers looked like an average dude, or a dockworker with a big beer gut, or were like 300 lbs. of mostly flab. The super buff and cut dudes were very much the exception rather than the rule, at least prior to Vince deciding that every wrestler needed to be over 6 feet tall and look like they were a Greek sculpture come to life.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Prior to Vince taking over the industry during the 1980s with his vision of what a wrestler should look like, most wrestlers looked like an average dude, or a dockworker with a big beer gut, or were like 300 lbs. of mostly flab. The super buff and cut dudes were very much the exception rather than the rule, at least prior to Vince deciding that every wrestler needed to be over 6 feet tall and look like they were a Greek sculpture come to life.

There were certainly plenty of athletic wrestlers, but the current standard is a mix of 80s machismo and Vince's personal preferences for muscular men. Witness his near orgasmic valuation of Gary Strydom.

https://youtu.be/AbsRtuoIDSc

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gentle Autist posted:

is it because

i couldn't possibly begin to know what you mean

https://youtu.be/JBhiaS-k3vM

i'd say it's a little bit of all of the above - if you talk to bodybuilding dudes, that early-90s "American Gladiators" look has a lot to do with everyone and their dog loading up on nothing but testosterone and dianabol for high school football without being too strict about their diet, which makes you retain a bunch of water

that super-shredded look that replaced it is actually a pretty unnatural one (not that the Warlord ever was) that requires a lot more focus on diet and a more complex stack of drugs that you could only get pre-internet if you were buddies with Frank Zane, plus it's also something you can't generally maintain year-round

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not just Vince, the whole industry seemed to do that. Being buff, tan which a bleach blonde mullet really brought in the female fans. Hogan fits this profile but he's a poo poo wrestler. He can work the crowd but he only has like, 2 moves.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 16, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

of course, it also helps that bulldog and warlord have covered themselves in a quart each of baby oil, as was the style at the time

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bonzo posted:

Not jut Vince, the whole industry seemed to do that. Being buff, tan which a bleach blonde mullet really brought in the female fans. Hogan fits this profile but he's a poo poo wrestler. He can work the crowd but he only has like, 2 moves.

This is a good lead-in to one of the funnier stories about 80's wrestling: the tale of Tom Magee, the near-forgotten wrestler who was almost the top guy in WWF.

In the 80's, WWF hired this dude named "Mega Man" Magee. On paper, Magee had a LOT going for him:

- He was tall.
- He was ripped from being a bodybuilder/power lifter.
- He had long, curly, blond hair.
- He was a black belt in karate.
- He was an expert gymnast.

During some TV taping, Magee did a match with Bret Hart. This was years before Bret was a top guy, but he was considered one of the better in-ring workers. They had their match, Bret bumped around for him like a pinball and he carried Magee into what was a pretty solid match. Vince watched this match backstage and basically had hearts in his eyes. Not considering how drat good Bret was at his job, he saw Magee as the guy who was going to topple Hogan. Magee was absolutely his next champion.

So they put him on the road and it turned out that Magee was just the worst. Just terrible in the ring. Everything he did looked sloppy and uncoordinated and laughable. Eventually, they just cut their losses and let him go, feeling that he wasn't going to get much better.

For decades, "Bret Hart vs. Tom Magee" was this legendary holy grail of wrestling matches that hardcore fans wanted to track down. Supposedly, WWE had the tape hidden in their archives because its existence embarrassed Vince McMahon. It wasn't until a fan found a copy of the match and they were set to play it at a convention that WWE suddenly released a short documentary about Magee's career that showed the match in full.

As an aside, Tom Magee showed up in the ridiculous action movie Stone Cold, as featured on RiffTrax!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gavok posted:

As an aside, Tom Magee showed up in the ridiculous action movie Stone Cold, as featured on RiffTrax!

He's below "Trucker #2" in the credits lol

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Bonzo posted:

Not just Vince, the whole industry seemed to do that. Being buff, tan which a bleach blonde mullet really brought in the female fans. Hogan fits this profile but he's a poo poo wrestler. He can work the crowd but he only has like, 2 moves.

I definitely think that the industry was trending that way anyways, in regards to featuring more guys that were in very good shape and didn't have prominent beer bellies; plenty of examples of buff rassle dudes outside of the 1980s WWF abound (the Von Erichs in Texas, the Fantastics, Rick Martel, Lex Luger, Lauren Boebert's cousin/dad in the Fabulous Ones). Vince just amped it up to 11 and made it the industry standard.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I definitely think that the industry was trending that way anyways, in regards to featuring more guys that were in very good shape and didn't have prominent beer bellies; plenty of examples of buff rassle dudes outside of the 1980s WWF abound (the Von Erichs in Texas, the Fantastics, Rick Martel, Lex Luger, Lauren Boebert's cousin/dad in the Fabulous Ones). Vince just amped it up to 11 and made it the industry standard.

They could also sell a ton more merch. A 12 year old girl isn't going to buy a poster of Bam Bam Bigelo when Shawn Michaels exists. Back in the Memphis circuit when Jeff Jarrett was coming up, they had these 90 second commercials for a poster of Jarret that you could buy. He was shirtless, wearing ripped jeans and cowboy boots.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Gentle Autist posted:

is it because

there is still Brian Cage

https://twitter.com/MrGMSI_BCage/status/1361090273271406597?s=20

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

A 12 year old girl isn't going to buy a poster of Bam Bam Bigelo when Shawn Michaels exists.

Oh man, thanks for the reminder that I had Kidman on my wall. :swoon:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This is a real cool bit of history.

https://twitter.com/YKWrestling/status/1360286597409763329?s=20

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Mods pls change my name to Babs Wingo

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report: February 22, 1993

Tonight on Raw, Hulk Hogan's all like
https://i.imgur.com/fBVJCTa.gifv

Bam Bam Bigelow beat up some guy who accidentally wandered in off the street.

Interview with Hulk Hogan focused solely on his steroid scandal. Steroids were not mentioned.

Beverly Bros + Shawn Michaels vs Nasty Boys + Tatanka in triple tag team action. We will all, the announcers claim, go to Nastyville.

Crush fought Terry Taylor in a match I skipped.

Sign in the audience says "Hulk Homo." Classy.

Hogan shows up with extra greasy upper arms for another interview. He mentions quickly that he owns a beach house in Venice Beach. Hogan mushmouths his way through the interview and declares "I'm back."

Brutus's mangled face arrives and hams it up. Brutus admits he is now infected with Hulkamania and it's really running wild.

Jimmy Heart wears a non-Euclidian suit.

Hogan pretends to make up a team name, Mega Maniacs, on the spot, and it's a dumb enough name that he actually may really have created it then and there.

Hmm. Undertaker vs Skinner and there's only 2 minutes left in the episode. This does NOT bode well for Skinner.

Nvm, they just ran out of time. Episode's over. Moose out front should have told ya.

Overall, kinda dull tonight!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Eclipse12 posted:

Raw Report: February 22, 1993

Tonight on Raw, Hulk Hogan's all like
https://i.imgur.com/fBVJCTa.gifv

Bam Bam Bigelow beat up some guy who accidentally wandered in off the street.

Interview with Hulk Hogan focused solely on his steroid scandal. Steroids were not mentioned.

Beverly Bros + Shawn Michaels vs Nasty Boys + Tatanka in triple tag team action. We will all, the announcers claim, go to Nastyville.

Crush fought Terry Taylor in a match I skipped.

Sign in the audience says "Hulk Homo." Classy.

Hogan shows up with extra greasy upper arms for another interview. He mentions quickly that he owns a beach house in Venice Beach. Hogan mushmouths his way through the interview and declares "I'm back."

Brutus's mangled face arrives and hams it up. Brutus admits he is now infected with Hulkamania and it's really running wild.

Jimmy Heart wears a non-Euclidian suit.

Hogan pretends to make up a team name, Mega Maniacs, on the spot, and it's a dumb enough name that he actually may really have created it then and there.

Hmm. Undertaker vs Skinner and there's only 2 minutes left in the episode. This does NOT bode well for Skinner.

Nvm, they just ran out of time. Episode's over. Moose out front should have told ya.

Overall, kinda dull tonight!

I remember all the early Raw's kind of sucking, I see that I remembered correctly.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

I remember all the early Raw's kind of sucking, I see that I remembered correctly.

That means it's just going to keep getting better, forever. Nice.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Move to the music

Play that loving music

Move to my music

yeah

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Smackdown was and will always be superior in my opinion because I could watch it on UPN growing up.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Move to the music

Play that loving music

Move to my music

yeah

it's crazy that they just say the f-word in that song and nobody stopped them

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Or Scott Hall?

Yeah, but Scott Hall is hosed up for other reasons.

quote:

In 1983, Hall was charged with second degree murder after shooting a man with his own gun (after wrestling it away from him) in an altercation outside of a nightclub in Orlando, Florida. According to Hall, this was done in self-defense. The charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. In a 2011 interview for ESPN, Hall said he is unable to forget the incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Yeah, but Scott Hall is hosed up for other reasons.
iirc that's why he was an alcoholic- self-medicating for ptsd
it honestly makes me more sympathetic to him because it clearly hosed him up
(like vs. matthew broderick or laura bush, who don't give half a poo poo about the people they killed and definitely would kill again)