Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

ijyt posted:

For those looking for 12x25’s, consider a 5 pack of Arctic P12’s for the same price as one Noctua fan. The daisychaining is super useful, and as long as you keep it away from 1000rpm they’re quiet and very effective.

I was going to replace the top fans with Arctic P12s, the Noctuas were for the Fuma 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

I think I managed to pick up some of the last 12x15s that Amazon had
These two just showed up, added in as bottom intakes in my NCASE. No formal benchmarking, but seems to have dropped my 3070 full load temps from ~78 to ~66 on my custom fan curve. This also prevents it from hitting the aggressive part of the curve I set, greatly reducing overall system noise.

Excellent.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Lmao im a loving idiot and squirreled away a bunch of screws from my build in a separate drawer. I deeply regret besmirching the quality control of Cooler Master.

Now it’s time for TWO rgb fans :blastu:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Lmao im a loving idiot and squirreled away a bunch of screws from my build in a separate drawer. I deeply regret besmirching the quality control of Cooler Master.

Now it’s time for TWO rgb fans :blastu:

Post/gangtag combo

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

TWO rgb fans :blastu:

Disgusting.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’ve turn off all the rgb in my system except for the power button.

Feels good.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh hey, Noctua A12x25s are available on Amazon right now. Downside? Not shipping until mid April.

I did order 2. I’ll reuse some older fans from a prior build until they arrive. My M1 should arrive on Tuesday, and I should have everything else that I need before then.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh yeah, I finished my Ncase M1.

I don't recommend using the EK FE block. Get the Bykski. Temps are fine, but I have serious doubts about the efficacy of the secondary radiator. That said, the GPU runs ABSURDLY cold.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

Oh hey, Noctua A12x25s are available on Amazon right now. Downside? Not shipping until mid April.

I did order 2. I’ll reuse some older fans from a prior build until they arrive. My M1 should arrive on Tuesday, and I should have everything else that I need before then.

I just went with the Arctics for the time being.

The A12s seemed overkill for case fans, I'll probably chuck an extra on to the Scythe as I'm changing it to an intake and figured an extra fan there couldn't hurt.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just posting on the off chance that anyone else with an nr200 and aorus b550i knows what the clearance is for heatsinks on the rear NVMe drive? And does anyone have a recommendation for one above the other?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Introducing looooooong ITX:

6.6" x 20", just use a ribbon riser to wrap a GPU around to the other side of it and you have 128 cores in a few liters

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=ROME2D16HM3#Specifications

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

6.6" x 20", just use a ribbon riser to wrap a GPU around to the other side of it and you have 128 cores in a few liters

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=ROME2D16HM3#Specifications

It looks like the inside of a blade server

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Why does the board have a cutout on the left? I see a slot there but. Why does it have that layout?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Why does the board have a cutout on the left? I see a slot there but. Why does it have that layout?

I guess it's to wrap the gpu round the back?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I updated my FTZ01 build. It now has a EVGA XC3 3080 and an AMD 5900x running with a new BS3 cooler. Works great, temps idle in the 50's and top out around 84c on full load. Looking at 24 processors in task manager is super geeky thrilling. Build is a little loud, I wish it was a bit more silent. I might take a look at the ssdup meshlicious when it comes out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Looks like it attaches to the chassis in some way there.

Or maybe a cutout for a psu or hdd bay.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 16, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

New to the SFF scene but am looking to build a "console killer" gaming rig, its going to go in a media center hooked upto my TV so looking for something small/unassuming. I have to essentially build the system around the RTX 3080 that I managed to score, so with that being said what are some options for cases that will house these stupidly large video cards? (Ryzen build)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

New to the SFF scene but am looking to build a "console killer" gaming rig, its going to go in a media center hooked upto my TV so looking for something small/unassuming. I have to essentially build the system around the RTX 3080 that I managed to score, so with that being said what are some options for cases that will house these stupidly large video cards? (Ryzen build)

I’m a fan of Sliger cases, but they can be pricey. Currently I’m using a SM580. They have console style cases also. My MSI 3080 is a couple mm longer than their console case specs tho, or I would have gone for that.

The Node 202 has some cpu temp issues cause of poor airflow in general. You would also have to check your gpu length against the specs.

If you don’t care about that flat style of case, the NR200 is probably the most versatile case you can maybe get your hands on right now. I had my build in a Lian-Li TU 150 for a while which I loved.

Stay away from the NZXT H1 as there’s a huge safety issue with it possibly being able to start a fire.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

As I said in the other thread, you need to give more information. Not all 3080s were created equally, what model is it? And how big is the space in your media centre?

There's the Sliger CL530 or 520 depending on the thickness of your GPU, which are the smallest 'console style' cases you could feasibly go with. Then there's a whole range of larger ITX cases in all different shapes and sizes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

As I said in the other thread, you need to give more information. Not all 3080s were created equally, what model is it? And how big is the space in your media centre?

There's the Sliger CL530 or 520 depending on the thickness of your GPU, which are the smallest 'console style' cases you could feasibly go with. Then there's a whole range of larger ITX cases in all different shapes and sizes.

Woops, it's a PNY 3080, specs say it's 317mm long (and 60mm thick) . As for physical space, it's just going to go on top of a long table'ish thing. I just want something a bit more ascetically pleasing than a tower.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

An OCP NIC 3.0 expansion card goes there. They're designed to be installed flat instead of the typical vertical stance of PCIe cards, which means you can support add-on cards w/o having to use a 2u form factor or get into weird PCIe risers.

e. https://www.servethehome.com/new-intel-100gbe-adapters-shown-and-demonstrated/ has some pictures if you scroll down.

e2. The board is most likely designed to be put into a multiple-node chassis like https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=2U4N-F/ROME-M3#Specifications.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 16, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Zero VGS posted:

should've known this was ASRock from the thumbnail

cr0y posted:

cr0y posted:

it's a PNY 3080, specs say it's 317mm long (and 60mm thick) .
Based on the info you provided, it looks like the NCase M1 (12.7L) is another option to consider. I'm not sure if you're going to be able to go much smaller than that (ie, into the sub-10L sandwich or console-look-alike territory) if you want to use that 3080.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Actuarial Fables posted:

An OCP NIC 3.0 expansion card goes there. They're designed to be installed flat instead of the typical vertical stance of PCIe cards, which means you can support add-on cards w/o having to use a 2u form factor or get into weird PCIe risers.

Now I get it. Ty

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Started assembling my M1. Some thoughts:

Making stuff fit is a pain in the butt. It’s not too difficult, but it requires some thought and patience.

I hate Noctua’s mounting system, and I’m just gonna use screws.

I cancelled my 2 A12x25 fans and ordered A12x15s. Since it looks like there won’t be a 3060 FE, I feel like I’ll probably want that extra clearance.

I forgot to order the 180 degree 8 pin connectors and and I can’t put my side panel on until it comes.

More than anything, I can’t believe how small this thing is. My Nano S looks huge next to it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

Started assembling my M1. Some thoughts:

Making stuff fit is a pain in the butt. It’s not too difficult, but it requires some thought and patience.

I cancelled my 2 A12x25 fans and ordered A12x15s. Since it looks like there won’t be a 3060 FE, I feel like I’ll probably want that extra clearance.

I forgot to order the 180 degree 8 pin connectors and and I can’t put my side panel on until it comes.

More than anything, I can’t believe how small this thing is. My Nano S looks huge next to it.

The A12x15s do good work. It's a shame you couldn't get an FE. The FE heatsink is really fantastic with the Ncase's setup, since the wide body fins in the center of the card take advantage of the direct airflow very well.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

For what it’s worth, I’m waiting on reviews and pricing for the 3060s. If pricing is bad (it probably will be) and benchmarks don’t look good, I’ll spend the extra for a 3060 ti.

Until then it’s an old 1060 that barely fits.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

What happened here? Noctua mounts are pretty good I find

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 17, 2021

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The rubber knob things for the 92 mm fan are only long enough to fit through the back hole, making them very frustrating to pull through.

The 120 mm fans look a lot easier to do, so I’ll probably still use the mounts. I’m venting more than anything.

I also probably did it the most difficult way possible, but did try to follow the directions in the box.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im making a SFF PC.
Which 650w sfx PSUs are well regarded and which should I avoid?
My usual go to seasonic only has 1 model, SGX-650. How does it compare to say the corsair platinum rated sf650?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
No idea about the Seasonic, but Corsair SFX platinum options (and same with gold, which confusingly use the same model # as their platinum counter parts) are either 450W (SF450), 600W (SF600) or 750W (SF750 plat-only I believe)...there's no 650W option. Corsair SF series PSUs do seem to be the most popular and highly regarded SFX PSUs FWIW from what I've seen.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Im making a SFF PC.
My usual go to seasonic only has 1 model, SGX-650. How does it compare to say the corsair platinum rated sf650?

I have a Corsair sf650W and it's really good. You should buy that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Im making a SFF PC.

CyberPingu posted:

I have a Corsair sf650W and it's really good. You should buy that

I also keep making this mistake, but Corsair does not have an SF650. It's 600 or 750. As for Fauxtool, get an SF750 if you can find one near MSRP. They're pretty good, Corsair has a solid warranty, and the cables are easy to work with. Is there a reason you're married to 650W?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I also keep making this mistake, but Corsair does not have an SF650. It's 600 or 750. As for Fauxtool, get an SF750 if you can find one near MSRP. They're pretty good, Corsair has a solid warranty, and the cables are easy to work with. Is there a reason you're married to 650W?

Yeah I for some reason looked at my order and still put 650 for some reason.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

i thought 650 was the limit. if a 750 exists its a no brainer

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fauxtool posted:

i thought 650 was the limit. if a 750 exists its a no brainer

Corsair SF750 is the gold standard for SFX PSU’s. Comes with above average quality cables, solid warranty, nice and quiet as these things go.

The last few months have seen a few 800 watt units appear from silverstone et al, but they don’t seem to be getting much in the way of attention (availability is probably partly to blame as usual)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any nr200 owners notice a rattling from the top-mounted fans under load? Occasionally under load I’ll hear a grinding rattling sound, which stops when i place my hand or other weight on the top mesh. i’m trying to identify whether it is unique to my crummy fan or if it has to do with the mounting system/case.

Also, I’m wondering if I should replace the stock rear exhaust fan (92mm I believe) with a 120mm fan, or if I should attach that fan to other side of my noctua u9- heat sink.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 17, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Corsair SF750 is the gold standard for SFX PSU’s. Comes with above average quality cables, solid warranty, nice and quiet as these things go.

The last few months have seen a few 800 watt units appear from silverstone et al, but they don’t seem to be getting much in the way of attention (availability is probably partly to blame as usual)

There's also the included cable quality, which IIRC Silverstone still uses those godawful plastic cables.

But yeah, the SF750 is king poo poo of SFX PSUs. I kinda wanna swap the fan on mine for a noctua, but I also don't wanna void the warranty.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any nr200 owners notice a rattling from the top-mounted fans under load? Occasionally under load I’ll hear a grinding rattling sound, which stops when i place my hand or other weight on the top mesh. i’m trying to identify whether it is unique to my crummy fan or if it has to do with the mounting system/case.

I get the same with the stock fans from the NR200P. Supposedly some people have prevented it by loving with fan curve settings to keep at certain RPMs that avoid this, but I've yet to find any settings that keep it there. I also find just kinda pressing down the top panel some can help (as far as I can tell the rattle comes from the way the top panel presses into the side panels?).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

My stock fans are in the bottom of my nr200 and I have a slim Noctua (mounted with cable ties) and an Arctic P12 in the top and they're both quiet. I'm considering another couple of P12s to replace the bottom two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Also, I’m wondering if I should replace the stock rear exhaust fan (92mm I believe) with a 120mm fan, or if I should attach that fan to other side of my noctua u9- heat sink.

This is because of the push screws iirc. Because they aren't screwed in as such and are just push pins they tend to come lose a bit. Every few days I need to pull the top off and push the fans back onto the top. But yeah id recommend changing them for something else tbh. Artic P12s are a good shout