Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
you're better off looking for BT enabled stuff imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm curious about Thunderbolt. I have a macbook with 2 Thunderbolt ports, only, and to my it's exactly like having a computer with no ports at all. I can't use a mouse, a keyboard, I can't do anything. What is it for? I think it's just a port that is meant to be used with a dock or a converter? Is apple trying to say 'stop using usb, do everything per Bluetooth?" It's really confusing, because I've never seen an accessory with a thunderbolt wire in my life.

I think USB is the huge reason why my next computer will by a Thinkpad, and no more Macs. Even XPS I hear uses this Thunderbolt? Might as well not have a port at all in my opinion. What am I missing here?
Thunderbolt is external pci-E, essentially. Super fast. It's also built into the USB 4 spec. USB-C is separate but related to thunderbolt. Those ports will accept USB (-C) or thunderbolt accessories. You can also get adapters to plug in USB-A ("normal USB") stuffs.

But the real beauty is being able to plug in one cable and get 2 external screens, Gbit(or better) ethernet, external keyboard, mouse, audio, etc *and* power. Universal dock.

I bring my work laptop home, plug in one cable, and get my whole home setup without any other tinkering.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 16, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hace posted:

you're better off looking for BT enabled stuff imo

I guess this isn't as big of a deal with a mac, but BT latency sucks for gaming or any input sensitive stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

I bring my work laptop home, plug in one cable, and get my whole home setup without any other tinkering.

Really wish that was the case for my T480, but dumb HDMI port fucks the DisplayPort out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ilkhan posted:

Same here. I use a MacBook Pro at home, but I have a T470 at work. I just plug into my USB-C monitor and I get mouse, keyboard, ethernet, display, and power with 1 cable. Also beats bringing home (aka forgetting at home) a charger (although I'm sure I think my personal Carbon X1 charger would work)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thunderbolt 3/4 && USB-C are (from my perspective) designed to allow your laptop to connect to a mostly generic dell/hp/Lenovo dock, and then plug all your bullshit into that, including the power cable

If you buy a laptop and plug everything directly into it every time you sit down, you're doing it wrong. Invest in the $150 dock. There's a reason why they're wildly popular in corporate enterprise IT circles, they work amazing

Bonus point if your dock has a 6 foot long cable so that you can hide the rats nest of cables in a drawer out of sight

Just don't buy a $20 generic brand one, they're all terrible

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 16, 2021

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

isndl posted:

If she's doing illustration work with the pen then you're going to want to stick to the Surface line because everyone else settles for 'can take notes' levels of stylus performance. Either that or get an iPad as mentioned.

A couple of pages ago but wanted to ask a bit more about this, I'm in a similar situation with a deteriorating SP3. I was going to buy a new laptop last year and keep the Surface for drawing, then plans changed and I haven't ended up getting anything yet. Now I'm thinking about getting a 2 in 1 again since the surface definitely isn't going to last even just for drawing.

Are there really no options worth looking at outside Surface/iPad for drawing? I'm not doing anything professional, but still don't want to compromise too much compared to what I've been using. Most likely this would be my only PC for the next few years though, so I was also looking at more like a 14" 360degree clamshell than a tablet+detachable keyboard.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SebAndSeb posted:

A couple of pages ago but wanted to ask a bit more about this, I'm in a similar situation with a deteriorating SP3. I was going to buy a new laptop last year and keep the Surface for drawing, then plans changed and I haven't ended up getting anything yet. Now I'm thinking about getting a 2 in 1 again since the surface definitely isn't going to last even just for drawing.

Are there really no options worth looking at outside Surface/iPad for drawing? I'm not doing anything professional, but still don't want to compromise too much compared to what I've been using. Most likely this would be my only PC for the next few years though, so I was also looking at more like a 14" 360degree clamshell than a tablet+detachable keyboard.

Like touchpads, everyone has different levels of sensitivity to how good the input is. I can't really offer much advice besides looking for reviews that test stylus performance in particular since I haven't really kept up with the specific performance of different models, just the overall trends.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SebAndSeb posted:

I'm not a artist but the 2 in 1s I've used would definitely be bad for sketching and I've heard the same from other artists. Wacom tablet is probably the way to go if you don't want to do the iPad/Surface route.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I haven't had a laptop in 5 years, and I only need one for word processing and the occasional video streaming. I'm a cheap fucker, so I do not need anything fancy.

Any quick recommendations? I tried searching for some on my own but I'm so out of the loop I'm semi-lost trying to figure out what I do and don't need.

No Apple products though, I refuse to have anything to do with that bandwagon lol

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If that's really all you need then check out the Chromebook megathread.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Either a chromebook or an old refurbished Thinkpad, depends on your word processor of choice

If you're doing a lot lot of typing, I'd go for the thinkpad, they have class leading keyboards. You can get a refurbished thinkpad for around $200 and will run windows or Linux no problem.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Either a chromebook or an old refurbished Thinkpad, depends on your word processor of choice

If you're doing a lot lot of typing, I'd go for the thinkpad, they have class leading keyboards. You can get a refurbished thinkpad for around $200 and will run windows or Linux no problem.

Mu Zeta posted:

If that's really all you need then check out the Chromebook megathread.

Thanks, think I may do that. I keep forgetting chromebooks and tablets are things

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you want a lot of machine for the money, Eluktronics has the Prometheus laptop up for pre-order. The thermals are apparently insanely good and runs a full powered RTX3080.

Anyways, $2700 gets you:

17.3" 1440p 165hz 4ms response screen that's actually color accurate
Ryzen 7 5800H
16gb RTX3080 that can boost up to 150w
1TB NVME (no soldering)
32 gb of ram (16x2 nothing soldered)
Windows Hello IR camera
Mux with optimus
Additional free nvme slot

I pre-ordered this exact setup from them but in a Mech-15 (same company, it's a 15.6" with a mechanical keyboard and aluminum instead of plastic.) No sales tax in my state as an added bonus, would have been $170 here.

It was for an end of February estimated ship date, I saw how fast they were going (already into April) and I figured I can always cancel so why not keep the option open.

Anyways got an email today that they're delayed by about a month but I get a free upgrade to a 5900hx instead of the 5800h and free 2 day shipping. Still not certain I'll stick with it but now I get extra time to decide and a better CPU if I do :waycool:

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

isndl posted:

Like touchpads, everyone has different levels of sensitivity to how good the input is. I can't really offer much advice besides looking for reviews that test stylus performance in particular since I haven't really kept up with the specific performance of different models, just the overall trends.

No worries, thanks, I guess I'll just have a closer look at reviews and factor it in. I think ultimately the tablet options are going to be lacking in too many other areas to justify nicer drawing for me.

Lockback posted:

I'm not a artist but the 2 in 1s I've used would definitely be bad for sketching and I've heard the same from other artists. Wacom tablet is probably the way to go if you don't want to do the iPad/Surface route.

Yeah I might look into this too eventually, I've had one before. It's just the convenience of being able to use something on the couch or away from home that wins out for a lot of my use...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what's a good cheap laptop if one isn't looking for anything too powerful, pretty much just want something that can handle Team Fortress 2 at max settings and maybe good enough to handle more recent games at low to medium resolutions* and maybe some streaming and video editing(cause while I'll probably suck at it I figure I still want to give it a try), like my budget would probably be around 500 dollars approximately, maybe slightly higher if I can find some work soon, would be fine with a refurbished older model if necessary(every computer I've ever owned has been a hand-me-down anyways)

*Killing Floor 2 and Deep Rock Galactic are two of the games I've been wanting to do on PC

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

So what's a good cheap laptop if one isn't looking for anything too powerful, pretty much just want something that can handle Team Fortress 2 at max settings and maybe good enough to handle more recent games at low to medium resolutions* and maybe some streaming and video editing(cause while I'll probably suck at it I figure I still want to give it a try), like my budget would probably be around 500 dollars approximately, maybe slightly higher if I can find some work soon, would be fine with a refurbished older model if necessary(every computer I've ever owned has been a hand-me-down anyways)

*Killing Floor 2 and Deep Rock Galactic are two of the games I've been wanting to do on PC

You might be able to get away with a 1650 but a 1660ti would be a better fit for DRG and the next set of games you might want to play.

I don't know poo poo about these "Gateway Creator" laptops but I like the specs a lot:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-...dows-/466827503
($599, 1650, only 8GB RAM but I think that'd be ok for you)

I don't see any particularly good 1660 deals right now though.....

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What is the state of AMD laptops for old people? Like I have an Ryzen in my desktop and would have no problems buying an AMD laptop for myself. But I'm going to buy a new laptop for my mom who lives 2k miles away. Should I just stay with Intel? Or is AMD going to be ok for my mom looking up sewing patterns or something.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

phosdex posted:

What is the state of AMD laptops for old people? Like I have an Ryzen in my desktop and would have no problems buying an AMD laptop for myself. But I'm going to buy a new laptop for my mom who lives 2k miles away. Should I just stay with Intel? Or is AMD going to be ok for my mom looking up sewing patterns or something.

AMD this generation is almost always strictly superior than intel for laptops. Combo of the Ryzen 4000 being a really nice CPU and Intel not really doing much the past couple iterations. For your mom it probably doesn't matter though, unless she's really into early 2000 shooters that are absolutely single-thread bound.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

phosdex posted:

AMD still tends to need more care and feeding than Intel, even if they are faster. Get a low-mid range Intel and she'll be fine.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 19, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ilkhan posted:

AMD still tends to need more care and feeding them Intel, even if they are faster. Get a low-mid range Intel and she'll be fine.

In what regard?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ilkhan posted:

AMD still tends to need more care and feeding them Intel, even if they are faster. Get a low-mid range Intel and she'll be fine.

??

I'm not sure what you mean by this

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Everybody knows you need to seperate out the broccoli and cut the crusts off AMD's grilled cheese sandwiches

nerox
May 20, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Everybody knows you need to seperate out the broccoli and cut the crusts off AMD's grilled cheese sandwiches

That sounds like something a mom was built for though.

In other news, I got my Asus laptop (ryzen/3070) from BestBuy finally a few days ago. Screen is nice, keyboard is nice. I am playing Dyson Sphere Program all the time right now though, so I haven't pushed it too hard. The fan noise isn't as loud, but at a higher pitch than my old Acer Predator (1060)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dave2d gets the G15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoHW5EiJdQ

He's switching over to it as his daily machine, it's a purchased retail unit.

I also like that he had the RTX3080 version in house as well to show how little difference there is in performance between them. 3070 is the way to go with this device.

Not gonna lie, if my best buy had them in stock right at this moment, I would probably run out and buy one.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
I've been researching getting a new laptop for school (going to a University at 34. Better late than never!) but also for games, and I've decided on the Zephyrus G14. I can't find anything about the release date for the 2021 models, so I'm assuming it hasn't been announced yet. How big a difference do a 3060 and a Ryzen 9 5900HS make over a 2060 and a R9-4900? Seeing as I don't actually need it until August Is the performance improvement worth waiting a while and paying a few hundred dollars more? I'm tolerant of not having Ultra Max settings and 1 billion fps on everything

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

phosdex posted:

for what it's worth I bought my mother-in-law a Ryzen 4500U laptop last year because her shitbox Celeron from a decade ago couldn't handle her trying to teach a class over Zoom and she's had no complaints, for someone who only has a very casual understanding of how computers work

rabidcowfromhell posted:

I've been researching getting a new laptop for school (going to a University at 34. Better late than never!) but also for games, and I've decided on the Zephyrus G14. I can't find anything about the release date for the 2021 models, so I'm assuming it hasn't been announced yet. How big a difference do a 3060 and a Ryzen 9 5900HS make over a 2060 and a R9-4900? Seeing as I don't actually need it until August Is the performance improvement worth waiting a while and paying a few hundred dollars more? I'm tolerant of not having Ultra Max settings and 1 billion fps on everything

The 3060 is likely to be much better value than the 2060, assuming the price is comparable and you can afford to wait

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Dave2d gets the G15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoHW5EiJdQ

He's switching over to it as his daily machine, it's a purchased retail unit.

I also like that he had the RTX3080 version in house as well to show how little difference there is in performance between them. 3070 is the way to go with this device.

Not gonna lie, if my best buy had them in stock right at this moment, I would probably run out and buy one.

I was looking at this one closely but honestly an 80w gpu combined with a 1440p screen has me a little worried about longevity if you aren't downscaling to 1080p for gaming which can cause issues.

I'm looking to replace my 4+ year old desktop and would ideally be keeping a new laptop about as long.

He showed under 40fps for Cyberpunk and I imagine with new games being designed with the 30x0 desktop cards and beyond it's going to be struggling soon at that resolution.

Maybe that's stupid I'm not the brightest but that's my take. If I planned on a new laptop in 2 years I'd be all over it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My SO wants to get a new laptop ASAP in the $1000ish range, and i'm not sure if she can wait for more RTX 3600 machines to pop up as this year progresses. Laptops are not usually my thing, but a little bit of searching around various places found me this Lenovo Legion 5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Legion-5-15-6-144Hz-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-RTX-2060-6GB/124480449368

that has pretty good specs from what I can see. For the sake of variety, is there anything similar around the same price that I should show her? What about something with a larger screen but similar specs (obv more expensive)?

Could we expect to see similar machines with 3600s in the next few months, or would it be a Q3/Q4 thing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

great big cardboard tube posted:

I was looking at this one closely but honestly an 80w gpu combined with a 1440p screen has me a little worried about longevity if you aren't downscaling to 1080p for gaming which can cause issues.

I'm looking to replace my 4+ year old desktop and would ideally be keeping a new laptop about as long.

He showed under 40fps for Cyberpunk and I imagine with new games being designed with the 30x0 desktop cards and beyond it's going to be struggling soon at that resolution.

Maybe that's stupid I'm not the brightest but that's my take. If I planned on a new laptop in 2 years I'd be all over it.

I'm just not sure basing decisions around cyberpunk is a sound choice honestly. It's likely near the upper bound of stress (for a mainstream game anyways) that is likely to happen for this console generation on top of it being poorly optimized.

If you want something with max longevity for playing games, you aren't looking at devices with this kind of chassis.

For reference, the same resolution at max wattage 3070 (the Prometheus review) shows 51fps in cyberpunk.

The upper bound is the Duo SE 15 with a full watt RTX3080 and a 1080p screen and it gets 78.

Keep in mind that these were all done at Ultra settings, so resolution may not be the thing that you need to knock down a little to get better framerates.

Basically, the G15 is pretty much the best performance you are going to see in the fairly slim form factor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

great big cardboard tube posted:

That was max settings and no DLSS. I do agree that this may struggle somewhat on AAA games in the future, but I wouldn't let the cyberpunk fps scare you, especially as DLSS is an option.

BabyRyoga posted:

My SO wants to get a new laptop ASAP in the $1000ish range, and i'm not sure if she can wait for more RTX 3600 machines to pop up as this year progresses. Laptops are not usually my thing, but a little bit of searching around various places found me this Lenovo Legion 5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Legion-5-15-6-144Hz-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-16GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-RTX-2060-6GB/124480449368

that has pretty good specs from what I can see. For the sake of variety, is there anything similar around the same price that I should show her? What about something with a larger screen but similar specs (obv more expensive)?

Could we expect to see similar machines with 3600s in the next few months, or would it be a Q3/Q4 thing?

For $1000? Not in the next few months. Stock of 3000 series laptops is going to be thin and they will be in the 1500+ for a while. That Legion is a decent deal. For an extra $100 I'd do the G14:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

(It's what I own). You can go find reviews on this, but it's generally a killer laptop for the price and you get a slightly faster CPU and a step up in thermals and build quality over the Legion (which is still a nice laptop).

rabidcowfromhell posted:

3060 is very reliant on power/thermals but I'd expect something like 30% faster on average across the same chasis. So a nice difference. CPU for games won't be as big. In general late summer is usually a good time to buy a laptop, so if you can wait you'd get a lot more value. Not sure if the G14 will drop down to 1100 this year again, but if you keep your finger on the trigger you can probably grab one of the 2021 for around 1200-1300 by this summer (speculation).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another review for the Asus 15" G15, similar to G14 it's a really competitive on value given how many laptops from last year would cost around $1000 more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleUYxR6LqI

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm thinking of replacing my laptop that I use in my media rack. I don't know how old it is, but it's J3355 cpu struggles to even play Foobar.

It's intended use is Main PC > LAN > Laptop > AVR > TV/surround sound so it's gpu doesn't matter (unless hardware acceleration?) but I want to use it to handle 4k HDR H265 video and other things so what level of cpu should I be looking for?

I hear a Nvidia Shield could work but I'd rather stick to Windows 10.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm not in the market for a gaming laptop, I prefer the gaming desktop / ultra portable laptop combination instead as I don't really game on the go, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted by a G15. That is one sexy, capable, and well priced machine.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I'm not really looking for a gaming laptop either, but the nice QHD screen really sold me on it. I found one for sale and snatched it up. It should be here this week... Hopefully it arrives in one piece.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the screen is what ties it together. I mean, I guess it could get brighter, but it's amazing now on how even gaming laptops we're getting high quality screens. Not just fast screens, but screens that have good color calibration and good viewing angles along with high refresh rate, fast pixel response, and good resolution.

I look back on my Lenovo y410p and it's lovely TN narrow viewing angle 900p screen and think of how far we've come in a short time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 14" Laptop on sale at Best Buy for $799.99

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS Octa-Core (16 Thread) Processor
14" 1920x1080 Display (non-touchscreen)
8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM
512GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Oh wow - I haven't been to this thread in a few years. That's.... uh... a lot of pages.

Trying to buy the best portable 3d workstation replacement for around 1600 or a little more. Recently had the pleasure of running Maya on my friends MSI GS66 and was kind of amazed at the boot up time as well as the performance and relative silence of the laptop. Right now I am using a Surface Book 2 but it just isn't cutting it anymore for 3d.

In the past I have had both an ASUS ROG and a MSI which each only lasted a little over two years. The MSI connection between screen and base wore out completely and the ASUS ROG somehow lost the power connection from the motherboard to the port. Actually had the port replaced but it didn't fix the problem and by that point it was already out of warranty.

So suffice to say I am reluctant to buy another MSI or ASUS but that's what I find myself looking at for pure bang for buck. The MSI GS66 was on sale at Best Buy but doesn't seem to be anymore.

Alienware is another option but (as always) seems overpriced.

Traditionally I have always gone Intel / Nvidia but seeing the cpu benchmarks for some of these AMDs is enough to make me switch. Is there some powerhouse laptop you guys recommend for around that price range? I don't need a 17 inch screen and I don't care about speakers so much. Basically I just want the best CPU / GPU combo for that price range and ideally somewhat portable - since this will primarily be for a VJ station and teaching 3D remotely. Nvidia RTX GPU is the biggest requirement followed by the beefiest CPU I can afford and then HD space. Something like this would be great but about 1k more than I can afford right now. Ugh.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Can you wait for stuff to come back in stock? People who are looking at more medium-level gaming can get pretty good deals right now (a $1000-1100 2060 setup is probably more bang for the buck than a $1500 3060) but if you're looking for higher end I think it's kind of a waste to shell out for a 2070 or 2080.

I know you had a bad experience with ROG, but the past couple years they have been a quality leader for their price point, and in particular they have had great thermals which is going to be critical for the 3070+'s, those GPUs run hot and can really easily his thermal maximums. MSI quality is still pretty decent but I'd usually say they are a tier below. The ROG lineup with 3070s has been reviewed extremely well so far.

My advice would be try to snag one of these: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

I probably wouldn't go for a 3080 in anything right now, it's not a "true" 3080, you're going to hit thermal walls, and it's really not worth the premium.

Some other suggestions would be these guys:
https://www.eluktronics.com/Prometheus-XVII/ (if you want a 17"). I don't have any direct experience with Eluktronics but I believe they are supposed to be decent. Between this and the ROG I'd definitely prefer the G15 unless you really want a 17" screen though, especially for the faster CPU.

There's won't be any significant sales or deals for months on these, I'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Lockback posted:

Can you wait for stuff to come back in stock? People who are looking at more medium-level gaming can get pretty good deals right now (a $1000-1100 2060 setup is probably more bang for the buck than a $1500 3060) but if you're looking for higher end I think it's kind of a waste to shell out for a 2070 or 2080.

I know you had a bad experience with ROG, but the past couple years they have been a quality leader for their price point, and in particular they have had great thermals which is going to be critical for the 3070+'s, those GPUs run hot and can really easily his thermal maximums. MSI quality is still pretty decent but I'd usually say they are a tier below. The ROG lineup with 3070s has been reviewed extremely well so far.

My advice would be try to snag one of these: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

I probably wouldn't go for a 3080 in anything right now, it's not a "true" 3080, you're going to hit thermal walls, and it's really not worth the premium.

Some other suggestions would be these guys:
https://www.eluktronics.com/Prometheus-XVII/ (if you want a 17"). I don't have any direct experience with Eluktronics but I believe they are supposed to be decent. Between this and the ROG I'd definitely prefer the G15 unless you really want a 17" screen though, especially for the faster CPU.

There's won't be any significant sales or deals for months on these, I'd expect.

When will that be exactly? As for 2060 vs. 3060 ... I really don't understand how important it is to jump to the 30 family vs. the 20 family if what I really want is RTX. Is it more important to get a 3060 vs. a 2080 for example?
That zephyrus ryzen 9 looks great but the eluktronics has both a webcam and (mini) SD slot built in... both of which are very appealing because I have to teach remotely and I would like to ideally add space via a SD card.

Just had a ridiculous argument with a friend about external HDs and he claimed that firebolt / thunderbolt(?) is a thing for PCs and I said no - that's a Mac thing - which he owns (macbook pro). Turns out he is right... https://thunderboltlaptop.com/complete-list-of-thunderbolt-4-laptops/
In any case I would rather have a larger onboard SSD drive than ever go external for VJ work. Why are there are so few high end laptops with full size SD card slots? Why are there so few high end gaming laptops with thunderbolt 4 ports? Why do MSI laptops typically have built in webcams but ASUS typically doesn't?
Also what is the relation from thunderbolt to USB C? Is it the same port? It looks like thunderbolt 4 is MUCH faster than USB C so I am a bit confused.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 22, 2021