Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I appreciate a petite corona, but in terms of sheer smoking pleasure a lancero feels elegant and smokes long enough to really get a feel for complexity. A fairly simple blend can smoke great in a PC, but in a larger/longer format you get to see if it's actually going to develop and hook you.

With a few notable exceptions, gently caress large band sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh yeah, but a petite corona is the perfect sampler/convenience smoke.

Having a Tatuaje Verocru corona larga, and this thing is spectacular. These really got so great after a month or so. The cycle continues!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Petit Corona/Corona/Robusto are definitely my go to sizes. I like Lanceros and Lonsdales but sometimes I feel like they burn hotter or something and I end up getting tongue bite more frequently from them even when I try to space out my draws and actually pull slowly/gently.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

A Bunch of People posted:

Vitola Stuff

I'm all over the place with vitolas. I need to try all my favorite smokes in different vitolas to really get a fix on what my favorite size is. My favorites are all different shapes and sizes. I've enjoyed coronitas as well as nonsense like the CAO 660 Flathead. There really isn't any sort of pattern. I do know I like belicosos a whole lot and they're usually the best vitola when available in a blend, so maybe that's my favorite but I need to smoke more cigars to know for sure.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

Flor belicoso smokes amazing, enjoy!

Nexein posted:

I normally like smaller smokes but of the vitolas we've had, (toro and robusto and now this) it's already my favorite I think. These are definitely still too fresh but I can't keep my paws off em.

Just smoked a Flor belicoso tonight while I played DnD over Google hangouts with some college buddies. Goddamn that's a nice smoke. The toro was my first favorite cigar, but I do think that the belicoso might edge it out somewhat, especially with the PerfecDraw at hand for when the figurado tip gets a little wet and the draw gets tight. It's a bit creamier than I think the toro is, with plenty of that wood and spice and barnyard and hay. A really beautiful smoke.

Gramps posted:

I'm all over the place with vitolas. I need to try all my favorite smokes in different vitolas to really get a fix on what my favorite size is. My favorites are all different shapes and sizes. I've enjoyed coronitas as well as nonsense like the CAO 660 Flathead. There really isn't any sort of pattern. I do know I like belicosos a whole lot and they're usually the best vitola when available in a blend, so maybe that's my favorite but I need to smoke more cigars to know for sure.

I like the flavor on the Flathead Carb (the 660), but it's just way too big. The nicotine content is insane, and I don't like that between being huge and also being square you have to sort of kiss it to get a decent draw. A nice comfortable draw is one of the most relaxing parts of smoking a cigar, and I think smaller bands tend to be much more comfortable.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Now that you guys have gotten to know me a bit, would it be too much to ask for a recommendation from each of you? This thread is moving at a good pace so now's a good time to ask and get lots of good recommendations.

I'll recommend one I haven't seen anyone mention here but I think you all would enjoy- Casa Cuba Flor Fina. Reminded me of a baby Opus X for a way lower price.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Because it's impossible to give a single reco, I'll make three.

1) Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero. Currently my favorite cigar. Tastes like old library leather and oak duff, with a completely unexpected note of bubblegum that seems to pop up at least a couple times every time I smoke it.
2) Perdomo Champagne purito. A perfect cigar for a newbie, it's the one my girlfriend has on the occasions she smokes with me. Great mellow marzipan flavor that got boring in the toro I tried, but which is perfect in a little petite corona.
3) Ave Maria La Reconquista. I haven't smoked this one in a while, and I only have one left. A massive 7 x 54 torpedo, it's an aggressive pepper-bomb to start with, and then mellows out into rich chocolate that lasts forever. I recommend having this one after a meal, because the nicotine is pretty intense. Can get it cheap on CB last I saw.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Because it's impossible to give a single reco, I'll make three.

1) Leaf by Oscar corojo lancero. Currently my favorite cigar. Tastes like old library leather and oak duff, with a completely unexpected note of bubblegum that seems to pop up at least a couple times every time I smoke it.
2) Perdomo Champagne purito. A perfect cigar for a newbie, it's the one my girlfriend has on the occasions she smokes with me. Great mellow marzipan flavor that got boring in the toro I tried, but which is perfect in a little petite corona.
3) Ave Maria La Reconquista. I haven't smoked this one in a while, and I only have one left. A massive 7 x 54 torpedo, it's an aggressive pepper-bomb to start with, and then mellows out into rich chocolate that lasts forever. I recommend having this one after a meal, because the nicotine is pretty intense. Can get it cheap on CB last I saw.

Thanks man! I've had the Leaf by oscar in the Maduro robusto. I really liked it so I'll have to hunt some lanceros down. The Domo Champagne is a favorite of mine but I've only had the robustos. Ave Maria I haven't tried yet- one I see on cigarbid all the time though. I'll nab some next time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

Now that you guys have gotten to know me a bit, would it be too much to ask for a recommendation from each of you? This thread is moving at a good pace so now's a good time to ask and get lots of good recommendations.

I'll recommend one I haven't seen anyone mention here but I think you all would enjoy- Casa Cuba Flor Fina. Reminded me of a baby Opus X for a way lower price.

You've mentioned enjoying Connecticut leaves before, so time to break out

The My Father Centurion H-2K-CT is one of my favorite smokes and probably one unconditionally worth smoking at least once. The standard Centurions are super delicious and unique (very wheat/cereal flavored).

It's not a winner with everyone in this thread, but it stands out.

I think you enjoy a rather full range of flavor profiles, so I'm having a hard time! I think these La Aurora 115s I'm hoping to end the day with might be up your alley as well. They're extremely rich, well spiced, and a baby version of my absolute favorite, as mentioned earlier.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

The My Father Centurion H-2K-CT is one of my favorite smokes and probably one unconditionally worth smoking at least once. The standard Centurions are super delicious and unique (very wheat/cereal flavored).

I've thoroughly enjoyed every MF I've had. Pretty sure Nexein likes em even more than I do. Just had a Flor de las Antillas matter of fact. I'll definitely snag these next time. They make so many blends it's hard to choose sometimes. Appreciate the rec

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I liked the el centurion toro size better than the corona size FWIW. My favorite Connecticut right now is the leaf by Oscar toro.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Because lists and recommendations are fun! My absolute favorite regular smoke is the Roma Craft Aquitaine Mode 5. Straight up chocolate chip cookie in a cigar.

The rest in no particular order:
  • Leaf by Oscar Corojo Toro
  • Herrera Esteli Lonsdale
  • Regius Exclusivo U.S.A. Toro Extra
  • Illusione Singularé Miserere
  • Illusione ECCJ 20th Corona Gorda
  • Davidoff Winston Churchill Belicoso
  • Ashton Symmetry Prism
That's a pretty solid list of mostly medium strength/body smokes which generally feature baking spices, leather, cream, and pepper which are sort my go to flavors.

On the heavier side:
  • Illusione Ultra OP No. 9
  • Dunbarton Todos Las Dias Double Wide Belicoso (only had one of these, but it was incredible. I need to try more).
  • My Father Le Bijou 1922 Grand Robusto
  • Padron 1926 #9 Natural
And on the Cuban front:
  • Anything Bolivar - for leather / earth / salt
  • Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 2 - for a dessert cigar
  • H. Uppman Royal Robusto - my one cigar to rule them all

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm terrible at recommendations. I honestly don't have a consistent go to cigar because my goal is to try every cigar that exists in the world. Recent cigars I've had that were good: from Curivari El Gran Rey and La Gloria de Leon. I tried both Tabernacles from Foundation and they were pretty good.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

These recs are all great keep em coming. For the record, my lord commander of all cigar leaves is Connecticut Broadleaf, not shade. Shades are nice, especially in the summertime with a beer, but that dark sweet earthy chocolate spicy thing that a great CT broadleaf has is just unbeatable for me. If a brand makes a Broadleaf cigar then it's very likely to be my favorite from that brand.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

It's not a winner with everyone in this thread, but it stands out.

I've actually come around on the H-2K-CT. 6 months or so in the humidor really benefited them, so I think the box was too young when we got them (it was from February and I got the box in like August of the same year). Much nicer smoke now.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Gramps posted:

Those Casa Cuba's are one of my favorites, definitely a lil babby Opus X - not as refined or premium feeling, but definitely in the same flavor space for a third of the price (if you can find the loving things)

I've really been enjoying everything I've tried by Curivari - Cafe Noir is one of my favorites at the moment. Also don't see a ton of people talking Illusione here, but the Epernay is a fantastic stick.

I'm currently on a hunt for the Southern Draw Rose of Sharon - I think a B&M I was at a few weeks ago had a Southern Draw sampler pack and I'm hoping that's in it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dramatika posted:

I'm currently on a hunt for the Southern Draw Rose of Sharon - I think a B&M I was at a few weeks ago had a Southern Draw sampler pack and I'm hoping that's in it.

If it's this one then it definitely is in there. I bought a pair of these for Nexein and myself and I paid 25 each which is an even better deal than I thought it was originally. The Rose of Sharon absolutely blew my mind, and I can't wait to smoke the Jacob's Ladder in particular.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/southern-draw-5-star-sampler/3833837/

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Gramps posted:

If it's this one then it definitely is in there. I bought a pair of these for Nexein and myself and I paid 25 each which is an even better deal than I thought it was originally. The Rose of Sharon absolutely blew my mind, and I can't wait to smoke the Jacob's Ladder in particular.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/southern-draw-5-star-sampler/3833837/

Your earlier post about the Rose of Sharon is what put me on the hunt, actually! As soon as these Texas roads get driveable again, I'm heading down there to check on it. I do have a Jacob's Ladder I'm looking forward to smoking, but the weather hasn't really been letting me do any smoking this week sadly.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dramatika posted:

Your earlier post about the Rose of Sharon is what put me on the hunt, actually! As soon as these Texas roads get driveable again, I'm heading down there to check on it. I do have a Jacob's Ladder I'm looking forward to smoking, but the weather hasn't really been letting me do any smoking this week sadly.

Oh hahaha nice! I hope we didn't overhype it too much. It really was great though. Go slow whatever you do. The flavors change a LOT depending on how hot it gets, and the really desirable flavors definitely shine more when the stick is on the cooler side.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I just spent a fortune on CigarAuctioneer but now my B&M has God of Fire and Lost City in so I might have to go snag some of those. I really need an adult.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

I just spent a fortune on CigarAuctioneer but now my B&M has God of Fire and Lost City in so I might have to go snag some of those. I really need an adult.

I looked at my credit card statement earlier today and uhhhhh I have to stop

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I went through that process the first year or two of cigars. I ended up giving up a garbage bag full of sticks to my cousin because there was no way I was going to smoke those cigars and instead fixated on buying boxes of stuff I really enjoyed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, it's an important moment when you just chuck cigars. My buddies and I did that with all the discounted Gurkhas we bought while starting out and it felt amazing. Gurkhas: not even once.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah I’m going to do a full inventory some time soon and then start clearing poo poo out. I’ll post up what I’m chucking, selling, trading, etc if anyone on here wants any of it I’ll try to get it to a better home.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Russ Ouelette really knows his stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkrE6VM8aw

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Kenning posted:

Yeah, it's an important moment when you just chuck cigars. My buddies and I did that with all the discounted Gurkhas we bought while starting out and it felt amazing. Gurkhas: not even once.

Gramps bought a J Fuego Judge sampler that came with a xikar cutter when we started; thank god the cutter was good because I don't think I smoked a single good cigar from it *and* I still have one sitting in the bottom of my humidor.
e: I know it's not a Gurkha but the point is it's probably time to let it go.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Nexein posted:

Gramps bought a J Fuego Judge sampler that came with a xikar cutter when we started; thank god the cutter was good because I don't think I smoked a single good cigar from it *and* I still have one sitting in the bottom of my humidor.

Hahaha I bought a five pack of those early on. Still have four somewhere I’m sure if I didn’t pawn them off on my idiot friends.

In cigar smoking updated Mi Querida is a solid Connecticut Broadleaf if you haven’t tried it yet.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Anyone else subbed to any cigar of the month type things? I signed up for StogieBird last month and was very satisfied with the way things were packaged as well as the haul itself. I got 2 each of Mil Dias, Serino Robusto Gordo, RomaCraft CroMagnon KnuckleDragger, and Liga Privada Nasty Fritas for 60 bucks. Not a crazy deal but not bad at all. I've heard good things about a few others, but they have waiting lists and StogieBird did not.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

Hahaha those loving pieces of poo poo... absolutely garbage cigars. I bet they'd be better now just cause we know how to not ruin a cigar when we light it, but they're almost assuredly still terrible.

Lyon posted:

Hahaha I bought a five pack of those early on. Still have four somewhere I’m sure if I didn’t pawn them off on my idiot friends.

In cigar smoking updated Mi Querida is a solid Connecticut Broadleaf if you haven’t tried it yet.

Mi Querida and the Mi Querida Triqui Traca are both favorites of mine. I've really loved everything I've had from Dunbarton, save for the Sin Compromiso but we need to give that one another rip sometime. I'm excited for the Umbagog chilling in my drybox. The first one I smoked was awesome.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am SUPER glad how much activity this thread is getting, it fills me with determination excitement to discover new sticks!

Lyon, looks like my Cigar Auctioneer run this week has gone off fabulously! I am quite excited for more LbO Corojo Lanceros, a 50 cab of Tatuaje Verocru petite coronas, and a box of La Aurora 115th belicosos! Ordering for two, mind, though I wish it were all for me! Y'all will find no judgment here.

We've been smoking a lot with the new house, there's just a bunch to do and relaxing right is crucial.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein and I just had the Southern Draw Jacobs's ladder over the last couple hours. It was good, but the Rose of Sharon apparently has raised the bar pretty significantly. The Jacob's Ladder was a good example of the style, but it didn't blow my mind like the rose did. Doing a blind smokeoff between my favorite broadleaf cigars is something we are definitely going to do. Here's the contenders so far. Let me know if I missed anything. I want to do this right, so I want to make sure I can get the same vitola, so it needs to be available in a robusto.

Foundation Tabernacle
Dunbarton Mi Querida
Liga Privada no.9
La Aurora Diamond (edit:not sapphire I'm a moran)
Charter Oak Maduro

There's gotta be a lot more worthy to consider in this group I think.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 18, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel like the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is an excellent Connecticut broadleaf. Also, I think the La Aurora Sapphire is Connecticut shade, while the Platinum is their broadleaf offering.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I feel like the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 is an excellent Connecticut broadleaf. Also, I think the La Aurora Sapphire is Connecticut shade, while the Platinum is their broadleaf offering.

Gah. Their broadleaf is the Diamond, not the sapphire. (the sapphire is really good too)

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

I went through that process the first year or two of cigars. I ended up giving up a garbage bag full of sticks to my cousin because there was no way I was going to smoke those cigars and instead fixated on buying boxes of stuff I really enjoyed.

uh,,,, what now? never give up, increase humidor space.....

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Lyon posted:

Yeah I’m going to do a full inventory some time soon and then start clearing poo poo out. I’ll post up what I’m chucking, selling, trading, etc if anyone on here wants any of it I’ll try to get it to a better home.

yes, full inventory, divide smokes as give away (bring more in to the fold) and those to keep as a greedy bastard....

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
here is the latest haul.....

2 boxes H.Upmann Mag 46 x 25
1 box H.Upmann Mag 54 x25
1 Box Bolivar Soberanos x12
2 Boxes Trinidad Topes x12
1 Box Punch Double Coronas x50

all of these need time, however the Punch cigars are from '17

one more box to follow.....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zuffenphile fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 18, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

zuffenphile posted:

here is the latest haul.....

2 boxes H.Upmann Mag 46 x 25
1 box H.Upmann Mag 54 x25
1 Box Bolivar Soberanos x12
2 Boxes Trinidad Topes x12
1 Box Punch Double Coronas x50

all of these need time, however the Punch cigars are from '17

one more box to follow.....

:eyepop:

You guys are gonna get me in trouble

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

zuffenphile posted:

uh,,,, what now? never give up, increase humidor space.....

I don’t buy boxes anymore. I smoke 1 cigar a week Sometimes so I just get singles/5 packs of stuff that is tried and true for me and keep everything in my Coleman cooler.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Degeneracy post incoming:

This was my Cigar Auctioneer gimmick buy. My buddies and I loved the Sapphires, and I'd heard various people enjoying the Rubies and Diamonds, so we had to try the set. Plus, we were getting low, and we love coronas.

The Emerald box (Ecuadoran Sungrown wrapper) was from 2016, so we obviously had to try that one first. Beautiful, silky wrapper, lit up easy. Meaty flavor, a bit spicy, tasted like carne asada. I caught a lovely cinnamon note at the end. Nice and intense, while staying managable. Burn wandered a bit but self-corrected well.

After that we tried the Diamond (Connecticut broadleaf). It seemed mild after the Emerald, with an even maduro profile with chocolate and figs. Looking forward to returning to that one with a fresh palate. Also looking forward to trying the rest of the set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Degeneracy post incoming:

This was my Cigar Auctioneer gimmick buy. My buddies and I loved the Sapphires, and I'd heard various people enjoying the Rubies and Diamonds, so we had to try the set. Plus, we were getting low, and we love coronas.

The Emerald box (Ecuadoran Sungrown wrapper) was from 2016, so we obviously had to try that one first. Beautiful, silky wrapper, lit up easy. Meaty flavor, a bit spicy, tasted like carne asada. I caught a lovely cinnamon note at the end. Nice and intense, while staying managable. Burn wandered a bit but self-corrected well.

After that we tried the Diamond (Connecticut broadleaf). It seemed mild after the Emerald, with an even maduro profile with chocolate and figs. Looking forward to returning to that one with a fresh palate. Also looking forward to trying the rest of the set!

Ohhh yeah man. That's what's up. What did those set you back?