Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how Cancel Culture and the existence of consequences for their actions are all just evidence of the left's "hatefulness"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OwlFancier posted:

I think you literally pay the power company for electricity so if they aren't giving you any then yeah, they literally do owe you.

You pay for water and sewer too, that's usually a different fee from property taxes.

ultrafilter posted:

What exactly does he think he was elected to do?

Keep taxes low. At any cost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I love how Cancel Culture and the existence of consequences for their actions are all just evidence of the left's "hatefulness"

It's exactly like a toddler throwing a tantrum and crying that his parents hate him because they put him in time out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/1361682089310052354

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Skwirl posted:

It's because Jaws was the first real blockbuster. He didn't specify, but I suspect he thinks the vast majority of films made after 1975 aren't real movies either, basically, it was just Jaws and Star Wars until the mid 80s and you start getting your Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones.

This also sounds like Shea Serrano, a writer for the ringer who wrote Movies and Other Things.

quote:

I watch old movies and I'm like, "No, thanks." They're not fun. It's clear they were still trying to figure out how to do things. Some of them, of course, were undeniable, like a Jaws or Star Wars or Indiana Jones. You watch those and you go, "Oh, I see in this the bones of what eventually became whatever action franchise.” Or Alien. [But mostly], they’re just not that fun to watch.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Grift?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Stick to the the Jews Deep State.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

jackofarcades posted:

This also sounds like Shea Serrano, a writer for the ringer who wrote Movies and Other Things.

I think that might be who I was thinking of originally. This is probably just some goober who read him and took it as gospel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Those motherFUCKERS.

Hell yes I loved M.A.S.K.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I think that might be who I was thinking of originally. This is probably just some goober who read him and took it as gospel.

It just occurred to me that Blazing Saddles came out in 1974.

Seriously, gently caress these people

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From a podcast Bean Dad was on:

:ironicat:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Skwirl posted:

Dude is a writer for the New York Times. The Grey Lady out here dropping anti intellectualism takes

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Christ what a douche. "Returned to wrestling websites"? Getting back into AEW and hanging with the chilliest goons in the wrestling thread have been one of the only up points of the pandemic.

For that matter even AEW Twitter is pretty ok (for the most part).

Wrestling also tends to have a very large minority fan base. There's an older survey showing it leans pretty democratic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, the monopolist who gets on stage and struts is fairly out of touch w the actual demos

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Push El Burrito posted:

Wrestling also tends to have a very large minority fan base. There's an older survey showing it leans pretty democratic.

I'm genuinely surprised it's not even more minority/rainbow-friendly similarly to sports like roller derby given its reliance on drama, outlandish stage personas, and unbridled camp.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

I'm genuinely surprised it's not even more minority/rainbow-friendly similarly to sports like roller derby given its reliance on drama, outlandish stage personas, and unbridled camp.

It might have ended up that way if it wasn't monopolized by a family of rich republicans

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'll say, the local wrestling promotion in Oakland (Hoodslam) is queer as hell and it kicks total rear end. I hope they're able to bounce back after the pandemic.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Lanky_Nibz posted:

Christ what a douche. "Returned to wrestling websites"? Getting back into AEW and hanging with the chilliest goons in the wrestling thread have been one of the only up points of the pandemic.

For that matter even AEW Twitter is pretty ok (for the most part).

Does SA have a general wrestling thread? Or someplace to ask dumb questions about opinions?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The only AEW commercial I've seen definitely played up the inclusivity of it's league in contrast to WWE. I'd be tempted to check them out if I still had cable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/1361855781876862978

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Iirc I saw one aew match where one of the wrestlers was in drag and their move on a downed opponent was to do a rupaul style death drop on their head which was amazing.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_Monroe posted:

In 1957, while driving to a wrestling show in Alabama, Monroe became tired and invited a black hitchhiker he met at a gas station to take the wheel. Upon arriving at the arena, Monroe placed his arm around the man, which drew a chorus of boos and insults from the white crowd; in response to this Monroe kissed the man on the cheek.[4] Monroe would later use this underlying racism as a promotional tactic and become a noteworthy figure in Memphis cultural history. During a period where legal segregation was the norm at public events, and during a general decline in the popularity of professional wrestling, Monroe recognized that the segregated wrestling shows (whites sat in floor seats while blacks were required to sit in the balcony)[5][6] were not properly marketing to black fans. The witty, flamboyant Monroe began dressing up in a purple gown and carrying a diamond tipped cane and drinking in traditionally black bars in the black area of Memphis, where he would openly socialize with black patrons and hand out tickets to his wrestling shows.[4] As a result of this, he was frequently arrested by police on a variety of vague, trumped up charges, such as mopery.[4] In each case, he would then hire a black attorney and appear in court, pay a small fine, and immediately resume the behavior that resulted in his prior arrests. Due to this, and in spite of the fact that he was a heel at the time, his popularity soared among the black community. At his shows, although floor seats in arenas would be half empty with white patrons, the balcony would be packed to capacity with black patrons with many others unable to enter due to the balcony selling out.[7]

I really hope they complete the film about this guy some day.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

What's the deal with this guy (Milo)? He mentioned Shapiro, so presumably another famous right wing personality?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

toanoradian posted:

What's the deal with this guy (Milo)? He mentioned Shapiro, so presumably another famous right wing personality?

He's your standard right wing grifter except he's also gay so other right wing grifters can point to him and say "Look! We are not homophobic! One of us is gay!"

Oh yeah he's also a pedophile but thats almost a given at this point.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

When did Parler come back?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SimonChris posted:

I really hope they complete the film about this guy some day.

loving :blessed:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Also you missed the best bit:

Monroe, having become the biggest wrestling draw in the territory, soon refused to perform unless patrons, regardless of their race, were allowed to sit in any seat at the Ellis Auditorium.[4] As a result, the promoter was obliged to desegregate his wrestling shows, which then completely sold out with Monroe's black fans, in some cases over 15,000 at a time,[4] filling the auditorium. Soon, other Southern sporting events, recognizing the enormous financial benefits, began to desegregate as well.[7]

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

toanoradian posted:

he's one of the first alt right grifter on the trumptrain to get thrown under the bus as soon as he stepped out of line. He was doing dumb things like "Twinks for Trump", wearing a shirt that says "stop being poor" (this backfired tremendously where he now constantly complaints about being penniless), etc. His big crime against the conservative was when he made a statement suggesting that paedophilia was a-okay to tolerate and they immediately dropped him. he was for a time used as the perfect example of how the right eat their own when they stop being useful (in his case, the "token gay" which dave rubin happily took up).

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Does SA have a general wrestling thread? Or someplace to ask dumb questions about opinions?

I mean the AEW thread is pretty active and we essentially field questions on any aspects of wrestling. It's a pretty exciting time now with several promotions crossing over:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958766

rodbeard posted:

The only AEW commercial I've seen definitely played up the inclusivity of it's league in contrast to WWE. I'd be tempted to check them out if I still had cable.

They run a bunch of matches for free weekly on YouTube! Also if you live (or purport yourself to live) in the UK you can watch the weekly cable show for $5 a month!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bulletsponge13 posted:

There's also a wrestling thread in GBS, it's one of those threads where the OP wanted to mock something but everyone just came in to talk about how much they love wrestling instead. I mostly just like hearing about wrestling secondhand from fans online.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

There’s a whole subforum that’s ostensibly also about boxing and mma and other real combat sports but is mostly about wrestling.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On a meta level it's pretty satisfying to have reached the stage where people can go "Wait who's this Milo guy? :confused:"

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

A joke so bafflingly lame that I ended up laughing at it, so I guess the joke's on me.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That person is mispronouncing quarantine

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Or valentine!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What answer was the teacher expecting to that question

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

toanoradian posted:

He was a early alt-right superstar, one of the first who really "got" 4Chan. His "twist" is that he is a gay conservative with a fetish for black men (so he can't be racist, you see).

His fame went to his head almost immediately and the line between grift and sincere belief got muddled. This was compounded by massive substance abuse. Turns out that cokeheads are remarkably difficult to work with! His media empire collapsed when he kept being too strung out for appearances and couldn't even get an outline to his ghostwriter for a book. Eventually the rightwing grift machine dropped him with the excuse that he endorsed pedophilia, making him at least useful to them one last time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

he's one of the first alt right grifter on the trumptrain to get thrown under the bus as soon as he stepped out of line. He was doing dumb things like "Twinks for Trump", wearing a shirt that says "stop being poor" (this backfired tremendously where he now constantly complaints about being penniless), etc. His big crime against the conservative was when he made a statement suggesting that paedophilia was a-okay to tolerate and they immediately dropped him. he was for a time used as the perfect example of how the right eat their own when they stop being useful (in his case, the "token gay" which dave rubin happily took up).

He also wrote ("wrote") for Breitbart and if I remember right was very very vocal about gamergate despite having self proclaimed no interest in video games or video game journalism at all.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

He also wrote ("wrote") for Breitbart and if I remember right was very very vocal about gamergate despite having self proclaimed no interest in video games or video game journalism at all.

I recall his contribution to that was hiring Ian Miles cheong to write for a column called the Incel Corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Let’s not forget the amazing editors notes on his manuscript

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/ellievhall/milo-book-editor-notes