Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I found III to be the least enjoyable due to the poor performances from several of the actors. V is mediocre and inoffensive, which is probably a damning thing to say about a horror movie.

You do get to see one of the balls kill a horse though and several of the scenes are reminiscent of Bubba Ho-Tep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever explain the whole tall man and the portal/red planet thing? I know Scrimm passed away so there's not going to be any more sequels, but I can't remember if anyone every came up with reasons why he had killer balls and dwarfs for slaves, or where he came from.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Did they ever explain the whole tall man and the portal/red planet thing? I know Scrimm passed away so there's not going to be any more sequels, but I can't remember if anyone every came up with reasons why he had killer balls and dwarfs for slaves, or where he came from.

It's explained that his slaves are dwarves because of the increased gravity on his planet and the balls have slave brains inside them that he implanted.

I don't think his actual motives are ever explained though, aside from a general desire to acquire more slaves.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The original movie basically said it was all a dream (or was it?), none of it made particular sense and it was the kid's mind using things in reality like 70s sci-fi novels, Star Wars, and the death of his parents and brother and having a nightmare about it.

If you go by what the series shows, basically there was a scientist in the 1800s who accidentally opened a portal to another plant/dimension and became a vessel for the aliens in the form of the Tall Man. The aliens/Tall Man used dead human bodies and turned them into workers that were short and squat and were better adapted to the high gravity on the Tall Man's home planet.

The balls are powered by the brains of the people who are turned into dwarves and the balls are used as weapons by the Tall Man.

What is unclear is if the US is becoming post-apocalyptic as many of the towns that have fallen prey to the Tall Man have become ghost towns and the population turned into shrunken slaves. The end of the 5th movie seems to make it explicit that the aliens are going to invade, though there is some question about if it is just a case of multiple dimensions intruding on themselves.

It doesn't make a lot of sense and the added lore doesn't really help. That's why I think the first movie is the best as none of it needs to make sense, it's just an exercise in horror and gives the characters the information they would come by organically without a character stopping the proceedings to have an exposition dump.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
At a certain point using conventional logic to dissect a series like Phantasm is going to net you similar results to fighting a grease fire with water.

Sometimes a film turns the crazy tap on so hard that reason is bludgeoned into taking a back seat.

The viewer is swept up in a maelstrom of lunacy where the only option available is to blindly "go with it" like a mushroom trip.

It's the mark of a blessed film.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
The first movie's explanation is one of my all-time favorite things in a movie because here's this ice cream man holding his tuning fork with unabashed confidence saying YES, of course that's what's happening here, and I absolutely believe him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saint Maud wasn't bad, but it didn't grab me much until the end. Reminded me a bit of First Reformed at times, but FR was gripping while I was sometimes just sort of bored watching Saint Maud. That was a hell of an ending though.

Overall I am glad I watched it, but after all the hype I'm a bit disappointed.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

isnt sid haig in that one or am i confused

lon chaney junior spent most of his time in that movie getting as high as gently caress on weed

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Local 58 is awesome, watch them all.

In my binging of Youtube, I've found a few channels that are in the same vein.

Eventide Media Center- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnq0cE8fCQ7smWNsj49F4Yg
Analog Archives- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFK_a9FW9BdtumHxTLaAV_Q
The Minerva Alliance- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2ZQlG5nuexztrnqS2X5Ajw

From what I've watched, so far these are pretty okay.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The viewer is swept up in a maelstrom of lunacy where the only option available is to blindly "go with it" like a mushroom trip.

Not a horror film, but this is the genius of John Carpenter when it comes to Big Trouble in Little China. You literally have no idea what is going on and you're just as confused as Kurt Russel is. Everyone else in that world seems to know exactly what is going on and talks to you like you should, but you just end up going along for the ride because you know that if you actually stop and think it's all going to fall apart

* Edit - way to reply to a post 3 pages back...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Wolf House is a fantastic film that feels like a nightmare from start to finish.

It very much captures the vibe of a children's movie made by a horrible person who wants to do terrible things to children.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Keeping secrets, are ye?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm glad for the Blind Dead discussion since I saw all of them just a few months ago. You can tell they really didn't have any money to work with, but they really made the most of it by making sure that the templars featured most prominently on screen had decent masks and hands.

The second one is actually my favourite for doing a "zombie siege" scenario so well. The third one has its moments but is definitely the weakest. It's the most patently silly, and one of those horror movies where you feel like you could probably take out the killer. Like, I'm being chased on a boat...by skeletons...who move very slowly...and can't swim...

Basebf555 posted:

And I'm not talking about spending big money on makeup effects, I'm talking about very basic costuming here. How do you make a Blind Dead remake and put the templars in the same thing that Ghostface wears? Has this guy ever seen the original?
Like a lot of no-budget movies that buy the rights to some cult series, they seem determined to show off their okay makeup effects. I have a feeling this is going to be about as good as the 2016 remake of Blood Feast.

I've been watching a lot of 80s/90s trash on Amazon lately, and I'm dismayed at the number of recommendations I get that are just complete garbage filmed with a phone in someone's backyard. Just, why did you bother making a movie? The only nice thing I can say about these movies is that they're bringing back the Corman Method of trying to pull you in by actually having a decent poster (since they can't just put the stars' faces through a cliche filter).

For example, check out this poster and trailer for Robowoman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRupbi4GlEg

I don't know a lot about filmmaking, but there's got to be some kind of minimum threshold for "actually a real movie." Amazon also has Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter, and I was surprised at its quality when I finally saw it the way it was meant to be seen. (I first saw a pirated version that looked like a third-gen VHS rip.)

Anyway, the real question is where the skeletons get their horses.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway, the real question is where the skeletons get their horses.

You gotta have a horse guy. gotta have a guy for everything.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

One of my favorite details about the Blind Dead series is that the original was distributed in the US as “Revenge From Planet Ape” with a tacked-on prologue that says those are ACTUALLY super-intelligent gorilla skeletons seeking vengeance.

https://youtu.be/IfVZdsllpdQ

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

dorium posted:

You gotta have a horse guy. gotta have a guy for everything.
If their original class was paladin, they should've lost the ability to summon a magical steed. Blind Dead is probably a class variant for Satanic vampire templar fallen paladins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well this South African film looks like a bunch of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcQCYL08w6I

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat flick on Amazon is Afflicted. After looking it up, surprisingly well done for a very small budget.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Halloween Jack posted:

If their original class was paladin, they should've lost the ability to summon a magical steed. Blind Dead is probably a class variant for Satanic vampire templar fallen paladins.

And now I'm rolling around what variant of blackguard they'd be.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

frankee posted:

lon chaney junior spent most of his time in that movie getting as high as gently caress on weed

Fitting. Weed goes well with that movie.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

Fitting. Weed goes well with that movie.

Does this imply that weed pairs poorly with other movies?

I haven't seen a film yet where this has been the case.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Does this imply that weed pairs poorly with other movies?

I haven't seen a film yet where this has been the case.

We were just talking in the Discord about how inebriation and Salo don't mix well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Being stoned usually works, but if a flick is an certain kind of bad it can just make you more easily see the construction and artifice and get hyper-critical.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Well mileage varies per person- but personally if I started hysterically laughing at the spoon scene while sober It'd probably make me feel like a monster.

Frankly I can't afford to take that kind of risk.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The best drug + movie combo is when i used to bang speedballs and watch Deadbeat At Dawn

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

We were just talking in the Discord about how inebriation and Salo don't mix well.
Pussies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I watched Are We Not Cats on Shudder on a total whim and was pleasantly surprised. I suggest reading absolutely nothing about it, including the plot summary on Shudder if you can help it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Phantasm sequels have a few cool ideas and atmosphere scattered around them, I just wish they were better.

Like I think in... 3 there's the part where they're driving from small ghost town to small ghost town and I really enjoy that whole idea. The Tall Man can just wipe these places out and no one knows because they're so tucked away. I'd watch the hell out of a movie with protagonists busting baddies doing the same thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Saw this meme online and thought basebf and this thread would appreciate it

Also @DDD thank you so much for the list! It's a busy week at work for me but this weekend I'm going to put on a few of the ones I haven't seen and give the empathy parts of my brain a workout

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if there's a lot of Star Trek people who have never seen From Beyond but they know Combs as the guy who played a ton of characters on Trek.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if there's a lot of Star Trek people who have never seen From Beyond but they know Combs as the guy who played a ton of characters on Trek.

I will admit that I saw Star Trek first, so yeah, that's where I knew him from initially. I kinda wish there was more General Shran in Enterprise TBH

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He'll always be from The Frighteners in this brain.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Huge Trekkie here and guilty as charged (tho ive seen From Beyond obviously)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just a question of how much overlap there is in the horror nerd/sci-fi nerd venn diagram. It seems to me that if you're enough of a Trekkie to know who Combs is you probably also like horror movies. I guess for the purposes of this discussion you could swap Reanimator in for From Beyond just because it's more iconic and well known by horror fans.

I first saw him in Frighteners.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 18, 2021

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's just a question of how much overlap there is in the horror nerd/sci-fi nerd venn diagram. It seems to me that if you're enough of a Trekkie to know who Combs is you probably also like horror movies. I guess for the purposes of this discussion you could swap Reanimator in for From Beyond just because it's more iconic and well known by horror fans.

I knew him as Weyoun first I’m sure, but I must have seen re-animator while the show was still on the air. I doubt I even got that he was Brunt too when I first saw DS9.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
There's a built-in overlap in the sci-fi and horror crowds. No other types of movies expect the viewer to, " just go with it".

Both genres essentially sit the viewer down and say, "think you've seen some poo poo fucker? Now watch this".

And then you have lovely, rare hybrids that comfortably take the reins of crazy like Lifeforce and Re-Animator.

The schlock is made more palatable with morsels like those movies floating around.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's a built-in overlap in the sci-fi and horror crowds. No other types of movies expect the viewer to, " just go with it".

Both genres essentially sit the viewer down and say, "think you've seen some poo poo fucker? Now watch this".

And then you have lovely, rare hybrids that comfortably take the reins of crazy like Lifeforce and Re-Animator.

The schlock is made more palatable with morsels like those movies floating around.

A lot of Sci-Fi ends up being very horror adjacent even when it's not straight up horror. I think more often than not, the difference between a sci-fi movie and a horror movie ends up being the setting. You could probably make a good argument that 2001: A Space Odyssey is horror

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I generally resent sci fi as a genre. Tends towards the preachy and dull, weird randian stuff in half of it, terrible fanbases for all the big franchises. Obviously there's good sci fi, but if something has a spaceship on the cover my first instinct is to avoid it.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Have you heard of a little genre called Fantasy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I generally resent sci fi as a genre. Tends towards the preachy and dull, weird randian stuff in half of it, terrible fanbases for all the big franchises.

Ignoring one of the biggest and most versatile genres in literature, film, and gaming to dunk on the conservatives 🙄

Watch some Star Trek, especially TNG. I think you'd enjoy it. If the politics of science fiction is what turns you off, Star Trek is pretty much based around humanity coming together and helping each other and uniting, basically the opposite of everything youve described you dislike about sci-fi. I think you'd actually really find yourself digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

Have you heard of a little genre called Fantasy.

Fantasy as a genre has mostly fallen out of favor. It was practically dead when the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies were coming out, and nothing else really took up the mantle. If anything the Hobbit and Fantastic Beasts movies are the nail in the fantasy coffin for a while.