Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thetoughestbean posted:

Gennai tells the kids that the evolutions depend on the kids, not necessarily the monster
Yeah, but that doesn't really bear out in the actual events of the show. If anything, there being a Wrong evolution for Agumon, rather than just a different one, basically goes directly counter to that idea. And outside of SkullGreymon, we never once see anyone stray from the 'true path'. (Omegamon doesn't count.)

Contrast with 02, where the kids had armor evolutions, regular evolutions, jogress evolutions, and a mode change in Imperialdramon Fighter Mode.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah, 02 is the first time the anime part of the franchise toyed with the idea of alternate evolution paths (that aren't a negative thing like SkullGreymon). It'd come back in a more limited fashion in Frontier with the Human and Beast Spirits being roughly equal in level, but with different specialties (agility vs pure strength), then be forgotten entirely until right now with BlitzGreymon.

Well, if you don't count DigiXros as something similar, anyways. It's technically completely separate from actual evolution, but it did give the characters a lot of different battle forms with different abilities.

Manga-wise, Next has this a bit. Tsurugi's Agumon starts as a Greymon, gets devolved after fighting Peckmon, and his next evolution is to GeoGreymon instead. That said, the GeoGreymon evolution happens due to Digisoul while Greymon was a natural evolution, and it's significantly stronger with no drawbacks (beyond being a timed evolution instead of staying in the form I guess) so it barely counts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hell, the Digimental of Miracles just straight up skips a level (or more, depending on which canon you go by) and does so in a way that is explicitly different from standard warp evolution.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You know, for all it's (many) faults, Frontier had a kickass evolution song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsDuqwF8uY

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't think of a single evolution song in the franchise that isn't excellent though.

Personally, my favourite is probably One Vision, the second one from Tamers. Great song, I love how all three Megas have different versions for themselves, and even the lyrics are actually reallly neat. Linking to this one because it has said lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseuQes2ms8

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't really bear out in the actual events of the show. If anything, there being a Wrong evolution for Agumon, rather than just a different one, basically goes directly counter to that idea. And outside of SkullGreymon, we never once see anyone stray from the 'true path'. (Omegamon doesn't count.)

Contrast with 02, where the kids had armor evolutions, regular evolutions, jogress evolutions, and a mode change in Imperialdramon Fighter Mode.

Yeah 02 did a lot with it and thats cool. If only the rest of it had been good.

Also gotta say, 02 did a better job selling each evo as a cool thing. Blitz came in and was just kinda, there. I didnt feel any fanfare from it at all tbh

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't think of a single evolution song in the franchise that isn't excellent though.

Fair enough!

Brave Heart did wear out its welcome eventually, but you're right.

Evo from Tamers is another one of my personal favorites.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also gotta say, 02 did a better job selling each evo as a cool thing. Blitz came in and was just kinda, there. I didnt feel any fanfare from it at all tbh

I don't think any other evolution in the franchise has felt as unimpressive as BlitzGreymon here. Usually there's at least something to them, even in the most basic Adult evolutions. Even WarGreymon in Adventure:, which also felt completely unearned, had great animation and a badass evolution sequence. Here we had a very stiff episode where the evolution gets no fanfare whatsoever, in an episode that wasn't even focused on Taichi, as if they just had to get it out of the way.

I have no hopes for CresGarurumon and Omegamon Alter-S since they'll likely get the exact same treatment. Or worse, because this is The Taichi Show and that's Yamato, who has somehow been even less relevant than everyone else not named Taichi for ages now.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TheHan posted:

They already have Omegamon, so Agumon can just keep stacking megas. Maybe there’ll be a new Omegamon with a Blitzgreymon and Metalgarurumon head. Or a Machinedramon and Metalgarurumon head.

Omegamon with a Wargreymon and Blitzgreymon heads.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Also gotta say, 02 did a better job selling each evo as a cool thing.
It was pretty bad about the champions. They each get one episode (and Iori/Ankylomon's doesn't even make sense or have any focus on him) and then bam, Paildramon

Although the Tortomon piss episode is great

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 17, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think any other evolution in the franchise has felt as unimpressive as BlitzGreymon here. Usually there's at least something to them, even in the most basic Adult evolutions. Even WarGreymon in Adventure:, which also felt completely unearned, had great animation and a badass evolution sequence. Here we had a very stiff episode where the evolution gets no fanfare whatsoever, in an episode that wasn't even focused on Taichi, as if they just had to get it out of the way.

That's been something of a trend with Adventure 2020. Because of the almost complete lack of meaningful character work, all the Adult and Perfect evolutions felt pretty unearned and they don't even feel difficult to trigger since then.

There's no energy loss, no hunger, no issues with losing access to the Crest to prevent evolution. Just "push button receive Digimon," which leads to moments of "tension" that fall flat because the heroes just decided not to push the button yet.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The perfects were kinda bad ill grant ya but i feel like the adults were handled alright in the context of suddenly having production stop due to the pandemic. Its just...they didnt stop cutting the corners they had to cut. Possibly they do actually still have to cut said corners, but in that case maybe they should have just delayed the show

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The perfects were kinda bad ill grant ya but i feel like the adults were handled alright in the context of suddenly having production stop due to the pandemic. Its just...they didnt stop cutting the corners they had to cut. Possibly they do actually still have to cut said corners, but in that case maybe they should have just delayed the show

They were handled fine in the context of "we're meeting this character and have to introduce their Adult simultaneously," but not as well as Adventure 99, in my (slightly biased) opinion.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think someone here mentioned that most of the effort that should have gone in Digimon Adventure 2020 went to the recent Dragon Quest and they were absolutely right. I only just started and there's already better characterization, villains and fight scenes in those few episodes than the entirety of Adventure 2020.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blitz Greymon did nothing I didn't feel like War Greymon could have done. He showed up and beat a Perfect level opponent in really bland and bog-standard animation.

There was zero flare to what should have been a big surprising moment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

all the Adult and Perfect evolutions felt pretty unearned
Lilimon. :colbert:

Edit: Also AtlurKabuterimon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See this whole thing would be fine if A) that was the gimmick of the season and not restricted to just like, Tai and the kids and whatshisnamewiththebirdhair

Imagine everyone getting alt evolutions all over the place

Oh no we need defense Domnion Angemon go!

Oh no, a school fight has broken out, Banacho Lillymon let's go!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

See this whole thing would be fine if A) that was the gimmick of the season and not restricted to just like, Tai and the kids and whatshisnamewiththebirdhair

Imagine everyone getting alt evolutions all over the place

Oh no we need defense Domnion Angemon go!

Oh no, a school fight has broken out, Banacho Lillymon let's go!
Maybe each could have a humanoid form and a more animalistic form, and eventually they'd find a way to combine the strengths of both. :j:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe each could have a humanoid form and a more animalistic form, and eventually they'd find a way to combine the strengths of both. :j:

Zoe would still get poo poo and we both know it

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PMush Perfect posted:

Lilimon. :colbert:

Edit: Also AtlurKabuterimon.

And Metal Greymon, Zudomon, Pegasmon, Angewomon, and to a lesser extent Garudamon. Hell, it was badly done in practice but WarGreymon also had buildup.

Frankly, I don't get the idea that the evolutions are unearned. To date the only evolutions that felt lame and unearned were Were Garurumon, the second appearance of Omegamon, and Blitz Greymon just now. Everything else is felt on point and justifiable. "Unearned evolutions" is not even in the top 10 reasons why this season has been disappointing.

Is it because they're evolving without having to get a tchotchke? Because I had absolutely no problem with that in any previous season where that happened and this one is no different. Hell, if the show had been on point in working properly I would honestly be praising the show for getting rid of the Tags and Crests and not digging them up just because.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

I think someone here mentioned that most of the effort that should have gone in Digimon Adventure 2020 went to the recent Dragon Quest and they were absolutely right. I only just started and there's already better characterization, villains and fight scenes in those few episodes than the entirety of Adventure 2020.

In fairness, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken is a manga adaptation, so Toei is not in charge of the writing at all, and all those good points come from the manga (which is excellent, by the way). However, animation has been on point, with even the weaker episodes still looking decent. Significantly better than how bad Adventure: gets.

Also, evolutions have absolutely felt unearned. Of the Perfects, only MetalGreymon and Lilimon (and to a lesser extent, Zudomon) worked for me. The issue is that character development should be what leads to them, and there's no characters to develop. MetalGreymon works because it had the lead of Ogremon sacrificing himself, but even there Taichi gets no growth (contrast to the original, where he had a fairly long arc from the SkullGreymon evolution onwards) and Lilimon works because Mimi is the only good character in this cast and every Mimi episode (including next week's) seems to have the best writer of the lot. Outside of those, Pegasmon felt super earned and was one of the best episodes of the series. The rest felt like they happened because this series does what it must do, with no real thought as to why it's happening beyond "it's a Digimon series".

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The card game just announced Omnimon X, which can evolve from Omnimon. Jury’s out on whether it will be good or not, it seems like a bit of a “win more” card to me.

That’s not what I’m interested in. What I’m interested in is it’s option card: All Delete

All Delete
[Main] You may return 1 of you Digimon with [Omnimon] in its name that you have to its owner's hand to delete all Digimon and Tamers in play. (Trash the digivolution cards of the Digimon returned to the hand).

[Security] Add this card to its owner's hand.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Christ, ten memory, though. Yeah, you’ve hosed up their board position something fierce, but they’ll have the resources to come back with a vengeance.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, evolutions have absolutely felt unearned. Of the Perfects, only MetalGreymon and Lilimon (and to a lesser extent, Zudomon) worked for me. The issue is that character development should be what leads to them, and there's no characters to develop. MetalGreymon works because it had the lead of Ogremon sacrificing himself, but even there Taichi gets no growth (contrast to the original, where he had a fairly long arc from the SkullGreymon evolution onwards) and Lilimon works because Mimi is the only good character in this cast and every Mimi episode (including next week's) seems to have the best writer of the lot. Outside of those, Pegasmon felt super earned and was one of the best episodes of the series. The rest felt like they happened because this series does what it must do, with no real thought as to why it's happening beyond "it's a Digimon series".

Once again, hard disagree.

Zudomon evolved after an episode of Jou putting himself in danger for the sake of his friends after previously being depicted mostly as a cowardly loser. Atlur Kabuterimon evolved after Koushirou overcame his doubts and started to believe in himself and his own capacities without the need to rely on his tablet. Garudamon evolved after an episode that was pretty much entirely about Sora being super gung ho about rescuing her friends and all the captive Digimon. Angewomon evolved after Tailmon overcame some of her trauma and recognized Hikari's role in their partnership. That's seven of the eight main characters right there, leaving out only Yamato whose episode really didn't actually do much to further his character (I'd honestly say that Yamato is just about the worst used character of the entire cast, that should say something).

So no, I don't think any of the Perfect evolutions were unearned except for Were Garurumon. I even go on and say that WarGreymon wasn't an unearned evolution no matter how bad that particular arc was. The cast being criminally underutilized is not the same as the evolutions being unearned. Even if Adventure 20 was actually hitting it out of the park in terms of characterization it would've taken very little to port any of those evolution episodes into the superior alternate universe version of the show.

PMush Perfect posted:

Christ, ten memory, though. Yeah, you’ve hosed up their board position something fierce, but they’ll have the resources to come back with a vengeance.

And the requirement to bounce an Omegamon reiterates its probably a win more kind of card.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

Snd the requirement to bounce an Omegamon reiterates its probably a win more kind of card.
When I first read the card, I thought it was going to say that you could reduce or ignore the cost by bouncing an Omegamon, which would've made it actually really cool. It'd turn Omegamn from a winmore into a wincon, I think. As is... oof.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PMush Perfect posted:

When I first read the card, I thought it was going to say that you could reduce or ignore the cost by bouncing an Omegamon, which would've made it actually really cool. It'd turn Omegamn from a winmore into a wincon, I think. As is... oof.

Oh it’s laughably terrible. Just awful.

I love it

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I would totally put that into my deck as a kid, thinking it was really powerful

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Interesting! The newest DigiPoll will actually have consequences!
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1362333171707219970

I really hope BlackSeraphimon doesn't win. It will win, and I'll hate it because it already has a profile from Collectors while the rest have absolutely nothing. Scumon Daiou doesn't even have art and its existed since Digimon World 1!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I really hope BlackSeraphimon doesn't win. It will win, and I'll hate it because it already has a profile from Collectors while the rest have absolutely nothing. Scumon Daiou doesn't even have art and its existed since Digimon World 1!

Excuse me the adorable baby spider is RIGHT THERE?????? Also the tweet right after seems to suggest they'll all be added, the winning one will just be added first

https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1362338501912645634

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kodokugumon has official artwork thanks to New Century. Scumon Daiou has absolutely nothing and has existed for far longer!

It's good to know that all of them will hit the DRB though. It's time to get some of these old and ignored mons in. I hope they continue with the game-only mons of old, like the Chaos Digimon from DW2 and the Bemmon line from DW3.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
ChaosDukemon and Omegamon Zwart have really cool alt art

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

ChaosDukemon and Omegamon Zwart have really cool alt art

:swoon:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kodokugumon has official artwork thanks to New Century. Scumon Daiou has absolutely nothing and has existed for far longer!

It's good to know that all of them will hit the DRB though. It's time to get some of these old and ignored mons in. I hope they continue with the game-only mons of old, like the Chaos Digimon from DW2 and the Bemmon line from DW3.

Snatchmon legit only has an overworld sprite and concept art, right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yo! MTV Rapsmon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Bee posted:

Snatchmon legit only has an overworld sprite and concept art, right?

Yeah, since you never get to battle it. The other forms don't get much better though, but at least they have full 3D models.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
They should at least give us some artwork of Gaiamon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The full set list for Battle of Omega just dropped, it’s got a lot of Omegamon stuff and Xros Wars stuff. The interesting thing is the line for Crusadermon/LordKnightmon it implies is Kotenmon> Gladimon> Knightmon> Crusadermon

Oh! There’s a new keyword, too: Blitz. It lets you do an attack after playing/evolving the card even if you don’t have any more memory

Second edit: between this and the last set, yellow is developing a niche of cheating out rookies/specific cards (Lucemon is a rookie with a really high play cost that and BushiAgumon has rush/haste so these are the prime targets) and green is developing a specialization for Digiburst, a keyword that lets you trash digivolution sources for effects (kinda like xyz effects in Yugioh)

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 19, 2021

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I’ve been struggling with whether or not to start playing the card game IRL (my inner child says yes, my bank account and rapidly decreasing salary say no) but I can’t find it at any convenience stores, grocery stores, or electronics stores which are where I usually see TCG stuff. I could have sworn that one YouTube video said they were being sold there... oh well.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I’ve been struggling with whether or not to start playing the card game IRL (my inner child says yes, my bank account and rapidly decreasing salary say no) but I can’t find it at any convenience stores, grocery stores, or electronics stores which are where I usually see TCG stuff. I could have sworn that one YouTube video said they were being sold there... oh well.

The pandemic combined with Bandai underestimating fan demand meant the launch had a way les product than there was demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Don't forget the Rockmon digimon that has absolutely no relation to rocks and is just a wireframe model.