Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Here's another dumb exotic:

pre:
Two Face
Exotic FAL
"I can be your angel or I can be your devil."

Core Attributes
15% assault rifle damage
15% rate of fire
Attributes
6% damage to target out of cover

Mods
Magazine: +30 rounds, -25% reload speed
Drum Magazine: A reservoir of love or of hate.

Scope: +15% accuracy
Double Vision Optics: A tender gaze or a vicious glare.

Muzzle: +10% critical hit chance
Lipstick-marked Suppressor: A kiss of life or a kiss of death.

Grip: +10% stability
Molded Grip: A hand to caress or a claw to rend.

Talent
Duality
When reloading, switch between Angel and Devil modes.

Angel
Weapon hits heal yourself and allies within 15 meters, the amount depending on the number of skill and armor cores (0.5-2% armor per hit).
Weapon kills add stacks of Angel's Embrace, stacking up to 5 times. When reloading, consume all stacks of Angel's Embrace and heal all allies within 25 meters for 5-12% armor per stack.

Devil
Weapon hits add a stack of Devil's Caress that give +2% weapon damage, stacking up to 30 times.
When reloading, consume all stacks of Devil's Caress and deal 50% damage per stack to all enemies within 8 meters.
Mostly because the idea of an exotic FAL amuses me. Not sure on the Devil mode, I want that to be the main damage-dealing mode but unsure of how to go about it.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

It was actually because I wouldn’t stop calling out a certain poster for being an admitted dark zone hacker.

The mods asked me to drop it so I won’t name him. Reasonable request because it doesn’t bring anything to the thead to bark at him directly. and I’m sure he’s stopped by now.
The Unnamed Poster not only helped out on a bunch of raids this summer but makes better status / DoT builds than you :laugh:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Okay so firstly I’d like to sincerely apologise for mentioning the Vile mask the other day, talk about lighting the blue touch paper...

Anyway I’m a fan of an AR / shotty loadout and I’m interested in your views on what is the best AR talent?

I’ve been using the Test Subject for the Perfect In-Sync which seems to do well but I like the higher ROF of an M4 so I started using the Pyromaniac for a bit. I like it but setting every fourth guy on fire seems pointless when you have a 50-rd mag and he’s dead before the fire does any damage anyway.

I have a Mechanical Animal which raises your skill level (I always have a striker drone up) when you kill people. Not sure if I like it as much as the In-Sync talent.

Any other AR talents I should be looking out for? Preferably those that increase damage in general.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

monkeytennis posted:

Okay so firstly I’d like to sincerely apologise for mentioning the Vile mask the other day, talk about lighting the blue touch paper...

Anyway I’m a fan of an AR / shotty loadout and I’m interested in your views on what is the best AR talent?

I’ve been using the Test Subject for the Perfect In-Sync which seems to do well but I like the higher ROF of an M4 so I started using the Pyromaniac for a bit. I like it but setting every fourth guy on fire seems pointless when you have a 50-rd mag and he’s dead before the fire does any damage anyway.

I have a Mechanical Animal which raises your skill level (I always have a striker drone up) when you kill people. Not sure if I like it as much as the In-Sync talent.

Any other AR talents I should be looking out for? Preferably those that increase damage in general.

In sync is amazing if you can consistently proc it with the skills you have equipped.

Ranger is good on a build that doesn’t have such skills.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Depends on your build.

If you have a high crit/dps build, killer for sure.

Depending on your play style, close and personal or Ranger.

There’s other damage talents dependent on the enemy having certain status effects so that would also be build dependent.

I’m doing the math in my head, and it might be wrong but I don’t think strained or optimist are ideal for ARs.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

In sync is amazing if you can consistently proc it with the skills you have equipped.

Pro tip that I did not realize initially: pulling out your shield procs In Sync.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

monkeytennis posted:

In Sync feels like it's basically designed for turretspam builds since those will constantly keep the outgoing skill damage going so you can complete the buff by shooting people. I used Mechanical Animal with repair/stinger hive + whatever skill builds + Acostas to have the ability to get overcharge basically whenever I want and it was fun but not hyper-optimal- Overcharge's usefulness isn't just in making your skills do a bunch more damage or have much larger ranges, but also for CD's. With overcharge non-revive Hives that aren't deployed will get charges back incredibly fast. You could toss say a stinger/repair hive- then when they run out of charges use Mechanical Animal or Acosta's to get overcharge, and then have them refill all their charges in a matter of single-digit seconds and be able to use them at full effectiveness again in the same fight.

For straight up damage? Optimist or Killer I guess? Strained maybe if it's an AR with a big mag?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 17, 2021

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I’ve found strained to be effective on an AK or scar due to the low RoF, but I’m not sure it’s optimal relative to ranger or CnP.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

The Unnamed Poster not only helped out on a bunch of raids this summer but makes better status / DoT builds than you :laugh:

So did he help by hacking?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

On a damage build with a good critical chance Strained almost always wins over talents like Killer/C&P/Ranger no matter what the rate of fire is on your AR, SMG, or LMG because it’s always on with no conditions besides doing what you’re going to do anyways.

If the combat was slower and more deliberate with a greater need for healing/buffing/cc/etc I could definitely see the use for something like Future Perfect in a damage build but as it is there’s too much advantage to front loading your damage as much as possible.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ranger is good on a build that doesn’t have such skills.

My style is to shoot from cover a decent distance away but close enough that I can lob seekers and that the drone can detect enemies. I do think in-sync is the way to go for me but appreciate the opinions.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Finally tried out babby's first legendary stronghold, and managed to beat DUA with three other randos slinging drones and turrets all over and dang, I feel accomplished now. The war dog backpack hanger is kinda neat but I'm not gonna swap out my unicorn for it. Guess now I gotta figure out the tough legendaries, since I want those cosmetics.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Vile is based off of conc nade damage and status effect attributes.

Demo class (to make a conc grenade do more damage) vile, glass cannon China light chest for explosive damage boost to conc and amplified damage from the perk, 4 pieces of Hard wired rolled to status effects (backpack is required for perk).

Killing poo poo with pulse and foam is never not funny, and on harder difficulties you play on a team that can deal damage, so they get to shoot at a bunch of stunlocked dudes and perma disabled bigdogs

You just gotta learn to precisely space your pulses and foam launches and you’ll have 100% uptime

So I was curious what the fuss was here and so I put together this build since I had all the parts. I spec'd into status effect hard but don't have glass cannon on chest yet and I'm doing really good numbers while adding a bunch of AoK mods to keep my resilience up and it kinda whips hard. It's not high dps but it's also not meant to be. It does some good DoT. It's highly wide area and stunlocks most BT/WT including their pets. Also using HW over EP means I can keep my pulse up almost constantly. It's a really good build and I'm glad I tried it out.

It's probably my most favorite fun run and gun build that's not my Negotiator's Dilemma/Bullet King build.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

RevKrule posted:

So I was curious what the fuss was here and so I put together this build since I had all the parts. I spec'd into status effect hard but don't have glass cannon on chest yet and I'm doing really good numbers while adding a bunch of AoK mods to keep my resilience up and it kinda whips hard. It's not high dps but it's also not meant to be. It does some good DoT. It's highly wide area and stunlocks most BT/WT including their pets. Also using HW over EP means I can keep my pulse up almost constantly. It's a really good build and I'm glad I tried it out.

It's probably my most favorite fun run and gun build that's not my Negotiator's Dilemma/Bullet King build.

Same here. This build rules. All the haters must be sweaty tryhards in a game close to the end of its life cycle. I like to play games for fun not spreadsheeting my way into oPtIMaL dAmAgE.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

El Scandelouse posted:

Same here. This build rules. All the haters must be sweaty tryhards in a game close to the end of its life cycle. I like to play games for fun not spreadsheeting my way into oPtIMaL dAmAgE.

ding ding ding

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RevKrule posted:

What difficulty are you doing this on?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

skaianDestiny posted:

What difficulty are you doing this on?

Do people really roll around in the game on anything less than heroic at this point? Outside of league activities.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

RevKrule posted:

Do people really roll around in the game on anything less than heroic at this point? Outside of league activities.

I mean I assume most newbies here are still gearing up on hard/challenging.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

monkeytennis posted:

Strained wins by a large margin; even with a high RPM if you use the extended magazine (and there's no reason not to) you will consistently reach maximum Strained stacks in the back half of the magazine. Killer if you can consistently proc it but it works better for SMGs since SMGs have natural crit chance and let you go nuts with crit damage everywhere. Optimist is serviceable but only adds to your gun's base damage so in effect it's lower than actually adding 30% weapon damage; it's more ideal for low magazine high base damage guns like shotguns, rifles or revolvers.

If you're always popping your shield then I suppose In Sync works for a DPS. It's best in slot for PVP because it immediately procs off of shield usage.

I wouldn't suggest Ranger since at the distances where it would be significant you'd be getting hit with a lot of damage dropoff. Close and Personal is a bit of an acquired taste; I prefer it on SMGs and shotguns over ARs since those favour the 7m engagement range to start with.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

skaianDestiny posted:

I mean I assume most newbies here are still gearing up on hard/challenging.

A lot of us played the poo poo out of vanilla and warlords then took a break until recently. You know what they say about the word assume?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

El Scandelouse posted:

A lot of us played the poo poo out of vanilla and warlords then took a break until recently. You know what they say about the word assume?

We literally have newbies here who just started doing global heroic, so :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Close and Personal is a bit of an acquired taste; I prefer it on SMGs and shotguns over ARs since those favour the 7m engagement range to start with.

I just want to say that it is bullshit that this Talent is a possible roll on snipers and has anyone actually tried to make it work on one

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I just want to say that it is bullshit that this Talent is a possible roll on snipers and has anyone actually tried to make it work on one

There are ridiculous number of weapons talents that were just thrown out on all weapon types when when the gear was reworked without any forethought and they currently only serve to increase the odds of something being terrible. Strained on pump action shotguns and bolt action rifles, Ranger on shotguns and SMGs, Close and Personal on rifles and sniper rifles, Steady Handed and Fast Hands on shotguns when you can only get one stack per trigger pull no matter how many of the pellets hit.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah it's a really glaring part of the item generation system when Division 1 went to the trouble of limiting talents to weapon types that made sense.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Close & Personsl is workable with rifles/snipers - swap to a red dot or whatever, hipfire the poo poo out of people (and robots).

Suboptimal as gently caress, though. Kinda want to try a Mosin close-assault for fuckaround purposes. :TFRgoon:

I run my Baker's Dozen with the lil' 5% crit chance nonmagnified sight myself, but I suck pretty badly with real scopes - usually shooting at medium range, or dumping rounds for suppression/drawing aggro at long. I suck at posting, too.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 18, 2021

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
so i'm playing through the division 1 right now, but i read spoilers a while back that division 2 and the warlords expansion basically render everything you do as basically pointless and that everyone either dies or goes traitor. is that true?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

so i'm playing through the division 1 right now, but i read spoilers a while back that division 2 and the warlords expansion basically render everything you do as basically pointless and that everyone either dies or goes traitor. is that true?

Only 1 person turns traitor. The story in Div 1 is more compelling than 2, imo

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

The entire story is stupid because our major villain is some dipshit futures trader that none of the other villains shot in the mouth during their first meeting with him

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

drkeiscool posted:

Div 1 leaves a bunch of dangling threads and one of the only good characters in this style of game gets about thirty seconds of screen time in 2 before being stuffed into a weak season target, but I absolutely do not regret playing it as much as I did.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 18, 2021

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Honestly the real story in Division 2 is helping the various settlements claw out a new life and finding out just how big of a dicks the factions leaders are.

I will say through I did wonder if the guy from the downtown settlement batteries quest was ever gonna come back as a man hunt espically after what happened the second time you find him.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The entire story is stupid because our major villain is some dipshit futures trader that none of the other villains shot in the mouth during their first meeting with him

In the real timeline with the slightly less lethal virus Keener became DeepFuckingValue on r/WallStreetBets

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

Just one of them. Though as interesting as some of the stuff in Division 1 is if you’re playing for the story you’ve unfortunately already lost.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In the end I have absolutely no clue what Keener or Lau's endgames/goals were

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

In the end I have absolutely no clue what Keener or Lau's endgames/goals were

:same:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Keener wanted to gently caress the Division and watch the world burn. Lau didn’t know what the hell she was doing. She is a casualty of the devs having no clue where to go after Keener.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They didn’t even really know where to take Keener after Keener. Like (spoilers for the benefit of the guy who just posted) at the end of Division 1 his master plan is to take the virus printer and the virologist to create diseases to bargain with but apparently his actual plan was to just create one super virus to destroy a single already mostly destroyed city while also building and dispersing an ISAC rival to the rogue agents across the country because rogues are now an organized faction that want to be back under quasi-control of an AI?. It’s a mess.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

They didn’t even really know where to take Keener after Keener. Like (spoilers for the benefit of the guy who just posted) at the end of Division 1 his master plan is to take the virus printer and the virologist to create diseases to bargain with but apparently his actual plan was to just create one super virus to destroy a single already mostly destroyed city while also building and dispersing an ISAC rival to the rogue agents across the country because rogues are now an organized faction that want to be back under quasi-control of an AI?. It’s a mess.

It make more sense that Keener would have wanted to continue to try and make more money since that was his thing in the before times and Lau kinda sorta I can see the turn because her sister died and she had no one left. I did enjoy the banter between the manhunt targets when collecting intel but there just wasn't enough.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
so i have another quick question kinda related to this

how much of the united states, uh, actually exists during both games? division 1 seems like it's mostly just NYC that's hosed, but the intro of 2 and the fact that there are legitimate settlements makes me think it's just the post-apocalypse now, which kinda begs the question as to how the expensive and complicated technology the Division and the rogues use is still able to function, and what the division as a faction is even working to accomplish anymore

like, what is actually going on???

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
In Division 1 it's explicitly stated that every major city in the US is hosed. NYC was ground zero so it got hit the hardest. There's an easter egg thing in Division 1 that also indicates that other major cities on the planet got hosed too.

The SHD tech like ISAC was already in place pre-pandemic and it's barely operating going by what happens in some of the missions. I'm sure there's some lore book at Massive's office.

And you're right. Division 2 takes place post-pandemic.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's funny is I want to say that Div 1 takes place like only 3-4 months tops after green poison spread (which was done on black friday). It's still the same winter it happened, so all of the barriers/CERA response was done in the space of a couple months tops. It's even more comical now looking at the US.

Div 2 takes place at the height of summer of the same year, so it's only another 4-5 months. It hasn't been a full year of post-apocalypse in The Division's world yet.

Reading between the lines looking at the environmental storytelling it looks like DC-62 promotes rapid plant growth after it goes inert or something because that's apparently why DC looks like Ferngully in places after barely over half a year of no maintenance.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 18, 2021