Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Antitonic posted:

Although, could set up Caleb, the Master of Time, as the big bad of Campaign 3.

I was thinking some post-C2 one shots could address it, but now all I want is the army of infinite evil timelord Calebs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I now want sixty second drunk history style narrative telephone.
Would be better than that train wreck.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Is Caleb still going to need to have 500gp diamonds to cast raise dead with his transmuter stone?

I'm trying to think of neat uses for Major Transformation. The equal or lesser value clause is pretty limiting and vague. Is a well built oak door (that can be taken down with axes) worth less than a cast iron door? I wouldn't think so. Also, the volume rules are unclear to me. Can you only transform things that would fit inside a 5ft cube, or could you take a 5ft cube of metal and use it to clad the bottom of a ship as long as the volume is actually still the same? (man, think of the money you could make doing that, I would make every NPC require a high DC persuasion check that their ship wouldn't sink before they'd let it happen)

I feel like Liam must have been thinking stuff up for this since the beginning. Man, they also have a tremendously powerful party now. They're not going to see hide or hair of Lucien or the TT until they've been empowered in Aeor somehow.

edit: I hope Caleb restores his life lost in the asylum immediately (minimum of 13 years), ruining every bit of fan art forever.

redbrouw fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 17, 2021

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure Matt said that the characters will go as long as it's necessary to run the story he planned and not necessarily go to level 20 back at the start of the campaign.

Which, I don't really mind in theory, but I think I'd find slightly disappointing in this case because I really want to see Caleb specifically hit level 20 and get the kind of power he wanted at the start to mess with reality and see what he does with it, if he no longer cares about wanting to gently caress with the past or if he's willing to do so regardless of the cost etc.

That said, it does seem like Matt has set up elder God like brings as the endgame of multiple possible arcs and I don't really see how they could take on any such power at anything less than level 20.
Caleb only needs to be level 17 and get Wish to seriously start messing with reality. Between finishing this arc and dealing with the remaining looming threats like Uk'otoa and Trent they should be able to get there.

redbrouw posted:

Is Caleb still going to need to have 500gp diamonds to cast raise dead with his transmuter stone?
He does.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 17, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I can imagine dealing with Trent at a lower level, but wouldn't they need to be level 20 to deal with something like Uk'otoa given that he's basically a god?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

tsob posted:

I can imagine dealing with Trent at a lower level, but wouldn't they need to be level 20 to deal with something like Uk'otoa given that he's basically a god?

Depends on what dealing with it entails. Even at 20 it's a little hard to imagine how they win in a fight against something that won't even fit on a battle map. Maybe the plan could be to avoid a direct confrontation and just find a way to pull it back to its prison.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Senjuro posted:

Depends on what dealing with it entails. Even at 20 it's a little hard to imagine how they win in a fight against something that won't even fit on a battle map. Maybe the plan could be to avoid a direct confrontation and just find a way to pull it back to its prison.

Probably a fight that takes place inside of it, fighting off wave after wave of minions and lair actions while trying to strike at the heart.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Uk'otoa's just a big snake, right? Just find an equally big mongoose to pit it against. Problem solved.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hulk Smash! posted:

Uk'otoa's just a big snake, right? Just find an equally big mongoose to pit it against. Problem solved.
Another problem resolved by polymorph!

RE endgame chat: I have an entirely baseless suspicion that Legends of Vox Machina will drop in October, which would mean approximately 20 more episodes if they want another 3 month hiatus and for a new campaign to kick off around the premiere.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 17, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Why would they care about starting a new campaign then?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Personal theory, they are going to fight the big house on haunted plane and then there is going to be a time skip.

After the time skip it'll either be "put down Uka'toa" or turn out that Trent and the Saviler wood have some sort of connection and a big fight there. It could go "trent then Uka" or "Uka then Trent" but I think one of those two will prove to be the big final boss. Presumably this would then lead into some manner of major change to the world (the overthrow of the Cerberus Assembly followed by internal war in the Empire maybe?). Then it'll probably be retirement time.

As for campaign 3? Personally hoping they stop playing in DnD. I still like the stories being told and I like the atmosphere and characters but I am really getting bored of DnD as a system.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'll be very surprised if they ever switch their campaign to a different system since their brand and D&D are so closely linked but a new setting would be great.
Matt has often said how much he likes Planescape, either that or Spelljammer (or both!) would be perfect. I want to see Matt unshackled, no longer limited to medieval fantasy Europe. Let him go wild in the farthest and weirdest corners of the D&D multiverse.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Personal theory, they are going to fight the big house on haunted plane and then there is going to be a time skip.

After the time skip it'll either be "put down Uka'toa" or turn out that Trent and the Saviler wood have some sort of connection and a big fight there. It could go "trent then Uka" or "Uka then Trent" but I think one of those two will prove to be the big final boss. Presumably this would then lead into some manner of major change to the world (the overthrow of the Cerberus Assembly followed by internal war in the Empire maybe?). Then it'll probably be retirement time.

As for campaign 3? Personally hoping they stop playing in DnD. I still like the stories being told and I like the atmosphere and characters but I am really getting bored of DnD as a system.

I think they're too entwined with D&D as a company to step away from it. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see other systems used as well.

Maybe they could move to that system Matt's designing? Syndicult?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Senjuro posted:

I'll be very surprised if they ever switch their campaign to a different system since their brand and D&D are so closely linked but a new setting would be great.
Matt has often said how much he likes Planescape, either that or Spelljammer (or both!) would be perfect. I want to see Matt unshackled, no longer limited to medieval fantasy Europe. Let him go wild in the farthest and weirdest corners of the D&D multiverse.

I do think Spelljammer would be fun as gently caress with this group. Planescape would be interesting, if for no other reason than to watch them try and gently caress with the Lady of Pain and get immediately ganked.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Campaign 3 should be Shadowrun so Sam can play Blackwillow73@AOL.com full time.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Senjuro posted:

It's more just... I'd prefer it if more indie RPG's got some press and CR is not so much "the big fish" as "the shark in the koi pond".

There is a lot of debate going on about DnD as a system at the moment, not helped by the fact that a lot of what went into the current system and the whole idea of violence as an intrinsic part of problem solving and etc.

Even Pathfinder would be better at this point and that is saying something.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think they're too entwined with D&D as a company to step away from it. I hope I'm wrong though. I'd love to see other systems used as well.

That'd be cool. Heck something like Legacy or Lancer or any of a hundred different options would be cool. I'm just very very tired of DnD by this point.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

tsob posted:

Why would they care about starting a new campaign then?
Amazon's interest in driving the audience from/to/between both Prime Video and Twitch. From the CR side, worse things than sending fans discovering you through Legends (or lapsed/youtube-only vox machina fans coming back) to the start of a brand new campaign that doesn't have the backlog hurdles of joining 50 episodes/200 hours/literally a week into it.

Again, totally idle and baseless speculation. Not as if I think Matt would agree to take what he sees as a 160 episode story and trim it to 145 just to appease Bezos.

Josef bugman posted:

It's more just... I'd prefer it if more indie RPG's got some press and CR is not so much "the big fish" as "the shark in the koi pond".
I know the pandemic has slowed it down, but we saw some of their overall expansion in Darrington Press and the Foundation. I'd love to see that continue to the programming side too... which I think would be a great way to spotlight more indie games, new casts, and bring in more guests from their various circles in a lower stakes environment. gently caress around and create like, a network around various nerdy things. Nerd & Miscellany feels like a good brand?

I'm with you. I don't have a great sense of if sending the critter army at an indie system would be overwhelming or helpful, though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
if i had to guess a smaller system getting a ton of people buying and playing it is a good thing for that system

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

While Matt published the Wildemont book with WotC, I'm not sure they're tied to them too closely otherwise. They have a good relationship with D&D Beyond, but that's owned by Fandom (not WotC), who is publishing the Cortex RPG that's been getting spots recently. My guess is that if they move, it'll be either to Cortex (if they want to commit to that relationship) or to Matt's system (if they want to commit to building their own empire).

I could also see them branching out into multiple simultaneous campaigns, or doing a lot of short-run games like Undeadwood... once they don't have to deal with the corona-safe recording setup anymore.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Arcsech posted:

While Matt published the Wildemont book with WotC, I'm not sure they're tied to them too closely otherwise. They have a good relationship with D&D Beyond, but that's owned by Fandom (not WotC), who is publishing the Cortex RPG that's been getting spots recently. My guess is that if they move, it'll be either to Cortex (if they want to commit to that relationship) or to Matt's system (if they want to commit to building their own empire).

I could also see them branching out into multiple simultaneous campaigns, or doing a lot of short-run games like Undeadwood... once they don't have to deal with the corona-safe recording setup anymore.

I would kind of love to see them run Cyberpunk RED. Comedy option: Frumpkin's Crash Pandas and Honey Heist crossover.

If I had to guess if this campaign winds down we'll probably see another glut of one-shots and maybe a short-campaign like undeadwood as a cooldown period between Campaign 2 and 3.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

I'm with you. I don't have a great sense of if sending the critter army at an indie system would be overwhelming or helpful, though.

It'd be helpful, I think a lot of folks would appreciate business being sent their way. Even if it is less of a "draw" I think that CR could make it work.

Like I would love to see these folks in a Lancer setting. I think that would be so loving cool.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

grog is so sad after his crucible match with kern :(

trial of the take time!

queeb fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 18, 2021

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
An excellent run of episodes for sure. Non-missable in my opinion.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow i immediately think mary elizabeth mcglynn is awesome. her first entrance is amazing.

lmao felicia days character is amazing too. im loving this already

queeb fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 18, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I really, really want to see more Undeadwoods. By which I mean, “one-shots” that aren’t really one-shots, but adventures that go for like 4-6 episodes. Or potentially a bit longer, but contained. Something like what Brennan Lee Mulligan does with Dimension 20. It would be a great way to put the spotlight on different systems even beyond the one-shots they’ve done.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know that Matt could really do that, because it seems like planning the main campaign is already taxing him a lot. I imagine Liam, Taliesin etc. could run those kind of smaller, self-contained games as a secondary offering with a lot more regularity though, and it'd even give Matt a chance to be a player more too; as well as to bring in guest players more, and widen their circle of players if they were doing those kinds of small games semi-regularly. They might all be busy between family, VA work, directing, writing, normal acting in Ashley's case etc though, so who knows how feasible it is for any of them to lead even shorter games on a regular basis. I'm also not really sure how many of them actually like DM'ing. Liam does seem to, since he's done it multiple times. Taliesin seemed like he was having fun doing the Cthulhu thing he ran a year or two back too, but I've no idea whether Sam, Marisha, Travis or Laura enjoy running games even though I know they've all done it at least once or twice for the channel. Ashley seems to have some anxiety about it at the very least, since she's the last to do so and it was a backer reward that she would finally run one during the Kickstarter campaign that she was hesitant about.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 18, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would love to like watch Matt get more comfortable running PbtA or a Forged in the Dark game.

Monsterhearts was a ton of fun.

With the cast and level of improv/actors they have they could really make something amazing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think season three is more or less confirmed to be another dnd campaign, anyways. not sure if it's definitely exandria but matt'd be dumb not to keep it there at this point

totally agree more short projects is fun. i think the way dimension 20's short series' are sustainable with their big (by comedy podcast dnd content standards) guests was basically cramming a season into just a few days of filming -- you can bank a lot of content in the 6-episode-season range pretty quickly with long shoots and guests can just spend a couple nights in LA on basically a short business trip

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

christ im crying laughing at the back and forth between Lyra and Scanlan in the first trial of the take ep. like holy poo poo this is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60sUkTh6xBc&t=8686s

that exchange there, my god

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

queeb posted:

christ im crying laughing at the back and forth between Lyra and Scanlan in the first trial of the take ep. like holy poo poo this is amazing.

Reading you going through the first campaign with fresh eyes is making me remember how excited/how much I was enjoying it 5 years ago(!?) when I was watching live and there were so few episodes I'd watch the entire catalogue on repeat at work. So please keep going.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Make sure to savor every moment where they talk about not having an episode next week for one reason or another and you just click next episode.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

queeb posted:

The Lyra/Zahra portion of the Trial of the Take is probably my favorite pair of episodes, and on the short list of episodes I've gone back and watched a handful of times because they're just PERFECT.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

queeb posted:

Laura/Vex's biggest reaction being an audible gasp of breath at the armor costing 10,000 gold is probably my favourite part of that scene, as funny as the rest of it is.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I think a lot of the bread and butter for CR is still the familiarity of D&D. Regardless of how stale any of us may find it, there are still a large amount of the audience that likes the familiarity that they can follow along with the rolls and what they mean.

Switching to a new system wholesale would likely be a large gamble for a main campaign, but the crew has demonstrated that they have a lot of fun doing one shots and contained planned stories within another system. Expanding that out to 100's of hours may actually end up alienating a lot of people that don't learn a new system easily and just get frustrated and quit watching.

While I loved Undeadwood and MonsterHearts, I think that the showcasing that reskinned D&D is easy for the cast to hit the ground running with only makes it clearer that they are comfortable improvising and running with the more boring of the systems in D&D. Their previous Doom promo, and I can only assume the Blizzcon game coming up are just reskins of D&D. ( The former definitely is, but we know near nothing about the Blizzcon game ).

Wait, poo poo, is there not an episode tonight due to the Blizzcon game? I didn't even think of that.

E: Actually I just checked CritRole.com and there is a show tonight.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah I assume main game would still be D&D and obviously still be the main thing Mercer does.

My desire for Dimension20 style content would be for them to have either current non-DM cast members (Liam comes to mind) or guest DMs to come and do those shorter “seasons” in non-D&D systems. You maintain the brand by having at least a few CR folks involved, and then fill it out with other friends of the cast (by which I mean, you know, other LA people).

Obviously this is all just spitballing from me, and between everyone’s normal work plus everything they already do, plus the animated series, who knows if they’d ever have time, even once COVID is out of the picture.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

TotalHell posted:

Yeah I assume main game would still be D&D and obviously still be the main thing Mercer does.

My desire for Dimension20 style content would be for them to have either current non-DM cast members (Liam comes to mind) or guest DMs to come and do those shorter “seasons” in non-D&D systems. You maintain the brand by having at least a few CR folks involved, and then fill it out with other friends of the cast (by which I mean, you know, other LA people).

Obviously this is all just spitballing from me, and between everyone’s normal work plus everything they already do, plus the animated series, who knows if they’d ever have time, even once COVID is out of the picture.

I think a lot of that normal work they already do is still just to keep the bills paid. If they know there's a short campaign coming up they can get paid for it's a lot more likely they'll do it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Giant d20 with a costume gem glued on top :allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

empire kids a buncha nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
oh drat, Jester's Temple spell is immune to Anti-Magic effects. Clutch.