Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brooke has finally expressed my feeling when reading 9CL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kavak posted:

Anyone have that Hark a Vagrant strip with Javert meeting the cast of Rent?

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=288
this one?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

EasyEW posted:

(March 1, 1917)

It's more common than you think..

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol that 9CL was actually funny.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Harry Dinklebean, starring smartass kids who don't realize this jowly old geezer is a living legend, dammit.

These incredible band pranks

"I'm Johnny Knoxville; welcome to Jackass" [Deliberately does not oil a key on his oboe so that it sticks during rehearsal. The substitute instructor is losing his mind, Steve-O and Pontius are barely able to contain themselves.]

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns Haha, this comic is so consistently good

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

"That background is yellow!"
Lupin's deaf, right? I wonder if a deaf cat freaks out more when things like refrigerators and other background stuff is suddenly no longer vibrating.

F Minus

That's a good idea.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"So I swore revenge and then Gary died of a 'stroke'."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have, to be clear, absolutely no use for a boat in my real life.

Just like every other boat owner, then.

This comic legitimately has me wondering if being naked in public has always been a constant nightmare throughout human history.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You're right, Mister Phantom! It would be completely terrible to disappear someone into an unaccountable jail facility where nobody will ever know what happened to them.

Only an awful person would do something like that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jack really likes showing off his rear end

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He worked hard for those buns.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

JethroMcB posted:

Had to spoil Mary Worth for myself today

The reveal of the shooting goes completely unaddressed, back to how important the bond with the dog is. My money is definitely on this not being a Very Special Story about internalizing the horrors of abuse or PTSD, just a Very Bad One

this is the thing. representing the way a trauma victim may relay a story in thsi sort of order requires a grasp of narrative nuance that moy demonstrably does not have.

Vargo posted:

Tauhid did this in A Problem Like Jamal and specifically called it out as an homage to Zits.

But later on it was used for a more powerful moment where Jamal is shown holding his brother's empty, regular size shoe when Jermaine is dead, shot by a cop while defending his mother.

i loved this comic. tauhid is amazing

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Jack really likes showing off his rear end

Stupid sexy Zach

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Homebodies - 1954
I love this!

B Kliban

Life on WASP-76b

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I can't wait for Luann to ruin Ben for being my favorite character in that strip.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

RENT taught me that you can, in fact, get me to side with the gentrifying capitalist sell-out over the gang of bisexual commie bohemians IF the bisexual commie bohemians are extremely annoying AND - this is key- and the bisexual commie bohemians kill the dude's loving dog.
The weirdest part about RENT to me is that it's actually an adaptation of an opera, which makes me wonder how much shittiness is because of parts that didn't translate well to a modern setting and how much is just because of lovely writers.

Considering that it apparently started off even longer & worse written, I'm betting it's mostly the writers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_(musical)#Concept_and_genesis posted:

Jonathan Larson focused on composing Rent in the early 1990s, waiting tables at the Moondance Diner to support himself. Over the course of years, Larson wrote hundreds of songs and made many drastic changes to the show, which in its final incarnation contained 42 songs. In the fall of 1992, Larson approached James Nicola, artistic director of New York Theatre Workshop, with a tape and copy of Rent's script. When Rent had its first staged reading at New York Theatre Workshop in March 1993, it became evident that, despite its very promising material and moving musical numbers, many structural problems needed to be addressed, including its cumbersome length and overly complex plot.[6]

As of 1994, the New York Theatre Workshop version of Rent featured songs that never made it into the final version, such as:

"You're a Fool"
"Do a Little Business", the predecessor of "You'll See", featuring Benny, Mark, Roger, Collins and Angel
"Female to Female A & B", featuring Maureen and Joanne
"He's a Fool"
"He Says"
"Right Brain", later rewritten as "One Song Glory", featuring Roger
"You'll Get Over It", the predecessor of "Tango: Maureen", featuring Mark and Maureen
"Real Estate", a number wherein Benny tries to convince Mark to become a real estate agent and drop his filmmaking
"Open Road", the predecessor of "What You Own", with a backing track similar to this in "Your Eyes"

I'll note that although La Boheme doesn't involve dog murder, it does involve its Angel-equivalent murdering a parrot. By playing a violin? :birdthunk:

quote:

Schaunard, the musician of the group, arrives with food, wine and cigars. He explains the source of his riches: a job with an eccentric English gentleman, who ordered him to play his violin to a parrot until it died.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 18, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 24, 1943)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
As noted, Imgur's been a pain today. I was able to get one comic up though. Here's Dinky Dinkerton Sept. 6th, 1940. Hopefully the others will join it shortly.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Whatever happened to Val's mother?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Whatever happened to Val's mother?
Died of the lack of gayety.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 24, 1937)

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.
These substitute teacher Funky gags are so goofy because when was the last time anyone got a sub who actually knew how to teach the class? Of all the times my band director had to be away in 4 years of high school, I think we had a sub conduct us only once. The other times we either watched a movie or used it as study hall.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kazz posted:

These substitute teacher Funky gags are so goofy because when was the last time anyone got a sub who actually knew how to teach the class? Of all the times my band director had to be away in 4 years of high school, I think we had a sub conduct us only once. The other times we either watched a movie or used it as study hall.

During marching season, the drum majors (students who acted as conductors and commanders of a section of the marching band) would generally take over if the band teacher was out that day, and they'd run us through a simple formation practice or something. Amazingly, I can't recall a single time they ever went power-mad on us.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Val's dad bringing the strong :dadjoke: game

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
my band teacher was a mentally unstable man powered by his own severe mood swings and adrenaline and never once in the four years i was there took a day off

If he ever had been I'm pretty sure it would have just turned into a study hall period

But of course in fwinkerbean Dinkle is a loving institution so of course they'd call him if becky needed coverage, and of course he'd be able to step right exactly in to where she was with the students in terms of what they were working on, because his retirement just means they aren't paying him anymore and nothign else has changed apparently

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's two pages later and I'm still chuckling at "chibi Vampirella".

The Dinette Set is the oldest one in the book.

Working Daze actually managed to tell a joke today!

Super-Fun-Pak Comix will never catch on.

Cul De Sac meets its muse.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 5, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 13, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 23, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 23, 1935)

Dark Laughter (November 8, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (August 3, 1947)

Those Were the Days (August 30, 1951)

Wee Pals (May 14, 1965)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Powered Descent posted:

During marching season, the drum majors (students who acted as conductors and commanders of a section of the marching band) would generally take over if the band teacher was out that day, and they'd run us through a simple formation practice or something. Amazingly, I can't recall a single time they ever went power-mad on us.

Ooh yeah that actually happened one time too. The drum major conducted the wind ensemble, but none of us liked him, so...

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As someone who doesn't know poo poo about Funky Winkerbean canon beyond the cancer stuff, why is Dinkle apparently such a huge deal? I do vaguely remember arcs that seemed like they should have been more about other people largely be about reminiscing about Dinkle, like how every arc with Les in it ends up about Les even if Les should have little to do with it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

kazz posted:

I don’t think I ever had a substitute director who wasn’t themselves a director. Our high school had several distinct bands and enough students to have two directors, so if our usual director was out the other director would step in even though he didn’t conduct our specific band on a regular basis.

Our usual guy was an rear end in a top hat and a kissass to the principal, and eighteen years after I graduated it came out that the other guy had raped multiple students in my year. Both of these fine gentlemen had Funky Winkerbean strips featuring loving Dinkle all over the drat place so now that’s all I think about when Tombat drags up this old chestnut.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Zerilan posted:

As someone who doesn't know poo poo about Funky Winkerbean canon beyond the cancer stuff, why is Dinkle apparently such a huge deal? I do vaguely remember arcs that seemed like they should have been more about other people largely be about reminiscing about Dinkle, like how every arc with Les in it ends up about Les even if Les should have little to do with it.

He was the marching band director through much of the strip's run until the time jump pretty much. He's even in a real life brand of marching shoes named for him. https://dinkles.com/

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I had to sub a few band and choir classes way-back-when. Usually they did just turn into study hall or movie time. One specific time I subbed for a class that was preparing for The Great Big Show that that school put on every year and was a Very Big Deal. These kids still had to practice their pieces. However, the teacher note was very clear that I was to tell them to play songs A, B, and C, and then NOT give them any guidance or suggestions about what they played whatsoever. The note didn't say it outright, but it was pretty clear that past subs had decided this was the perfect opportunity to put their mark on The Great Big Show and live out their dreams of being a great band leader. The teacher was tired of having to deprogram the kids from all the bad advice when he got back.

So, yeah, other than telling them, "He said to play this," my contribution as a (substitute) music teacher was, "I liked it," "It's better than I could do," and, "*clap* *clap* *clap* Yaaay!"

I have a feeling the regular teacher would have been super pissed about Mr. Dinkle coming in as a sub and actually trying to teach his class.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 17, 1999)

This storyline must have gotten into my head without my realizing it, because last night I dreamed that I bought a boat, then forgot that I bought a boat. I went outside and it was in my yard and I was like "oh, poo poo, right, I bought a boat."

I have, to be clear, absolutely no use for a boat in my real life.

how cool was the boat

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
It probably says something about where I am in my life that my reaction to the ongoing Sally Forth storyline isn't Poor Hilary and Faye, friends ripped apart by forces beyond their adolescent control!, but more So where are Faye and her mom moving to? Because apparently they aren't just downsizing to smaller quarters, but leaving town. That's a big undertaking; will this sale net them enough to cover moving expenses and deposits for wherever they end up? Are they moving in with family? What's the game plan here? I have so many annoying adult questions!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, the rest of my comics are here.

Flyin' Jenny Sept. 6th, 1940

And for the heck of it, here's a double dose of Axa, wrapping up The Gambler storyline.

On one hand, its remarkably mature, realising that even though you do like each other, it's better to let them go before you lose that. On the other hand, Jason suuuucks.

That said, I appreciate the gladiators who see their boss drop right in front of them and go "welp, it's what he would have wanted" and run him down.