Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Malvo is literally the devil right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I had read that somewhere years ago and the Jewish neighbor calls him something in Hebrew which translates to demon, but if that’s the case, why did he die?

I just started season 2, so if that’s part of a bigger plot point please don’t tell me!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Season 2 is sooo good.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s hinted that he’s an incarnation of the devil but it’s never outright stated. My favourite was his amused reaction when he gets his fake identity. “Huh, I’m a priest”

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I never got the idea that there was the literal devil in the show until season 3 when Ray Wise showed up in a bowling alley. Ray Wise should always play the devil.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I am currently binging Alex Rider and I would like to inform you that the villain's safe code is Hitler's birthday.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Open Source Idiom posted:

I am currently binging Alex Rider and I would like to inform you that the villain's safe code is Hitler's birthday.

:nice:

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Started watching Moving Art on netflix. I like it. Gorgeous landscapes and animals, pretty good music, no narration. Lots of cool places I'll never have a chance to visit. It's a beautiful hosed up world we live in.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Season 2 is sooo good.

I can’t get over how many famous actors are in it! We just started the third episode and are liking it a lot.

We also watch an episode of community after to just relax a bit. We were worried as gently caress that jack black was going to stay on as a main character in season 1 after the Christmas break. Luckily that hasn’t happened yet! Abed is easily my favorite.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished season 1 of Perception. This show punches above its weight imo. Suggested if you like procedurals like Elementary, Psych, etc.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Raspberry Bang posted:

What!? I had no idea David Simon had a new show! I need to get on this.

Also, The Plot Against America on HBO, which no one watched.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was too real and depressing to watch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

AND! Show Me A Hero, with Catherine Keener and Oscar Isaac.

And he's got two new shows coming up.

I feel like, post Treme, David Simon just dropped off the map for a lot of people.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I did and Ioved it

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mu Zeta posted:

It was too real and depressing to watch

Word. I couldn't bring myself to start. Maybe I'll give it a shot now that we've defeated fascism forever.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just binged Falling Skies on HBO Max and had a good time with it. I had been wanting to see it for a while but it was never streaming free until recently.

However, in the 5th season episode "Pope Breaks Bad" when Pope shaves his head and makes a comment about starting with a clean slate, all I could think about was that I really wanted him to add "or should I say a clean pate" and then laugh a bit manically.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Or wish they hadn't. It's not his fault because the book also whiffed the ending but sometimes a bad ending just ruins the whole experience.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
***CW for child sexual abuse***

"A Teacher" on Hulu is both brutal and captivating. Kate Mara is a high school teacher who sleeps with one of her students. I know that sounds like an atrocious concept for a tv show... but it's actually really good? It's unflinching and never loses sight of the facts that the student is a victim thoroughly damaged from his assault or that the teacher is a deeply hosed up person. Somehow the editorial tone stays documentarian and never judgemental. Both Mara and her co-lead (who is a genuine adult playing a teenager, thank christ) play characters who are complicated and compelling and never once do any sort of made-for-tv-movie type poo poo. I dunno, i was shocked by how much I liked this, and want to know what other people think, but it's not the kinda show you can casually recommend to anyone, y'know?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Heck people recommend dawson's creek all the time :P

My wife wanted to watch Self Made for reasons passing understanding and it's bad, do not watch. Stilted, ideologically incoherent, presumptuous of its audience. Not particularly visually engrossing.

Waste of an underutilized and rarely revisited time period.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Working on Succession. It's good.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fired up the 90's X-men cartoon this week while I was doing some laundry, and last week I started a rewatch of the first half of 90's scifi anime Outlaw Star. The former is a concentrated ham injection and I kind of love it, its very earnest and doesn't hesitate to embrace its source material even slightly. The later is such an amazing effort in world building, the dialogue is pretty stilted and there's for sure some 90s Cringe, but drat if I don't love every minute of it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well I just finished Babylon 5. The final season certainly improved after Byron dies, god what a loving awful character he was but still felt pretty directionless. For a while it felt like it was actually finally building towards something interesting with Centauri Prime being taken over by the Drakh and Alexander and Garibaldi plotting to take down the Psycorps but instead of resolving any of that we just timeskipped past it all and got a bunch of speeches and sappy sendoffs. We never find out how Centauri Prime is freed, how Vir becomes Emperor, what happens with Sheridan and Delenn's kid and the Drakh plot to control him, what happens with the telepaths, or if Garibaldi gets revenge on Bester. And people say they liked the ending? idgi, I'd have been more satisfied if the show had ended with Season 4.

e: I should post a disclaimer that I skipped the last three movies and Crusade. The first two movies were pretty average and completely skippable and googling suggested that the rest were more of the same and that Crusade was a mess. It also sounds like they don't resolve any of the stuff I just posted about. There's apparently books for the Centauri stuff but eh.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 16, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also, and this isn’t a S5 complaint, but Arthur should have become a permanent cast member, him and G’Kar getting on the piss together was the highlight of the entire series

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I’d have been more satisfied if the show had ended with Season 4.
The show had a 5 season arc, but during production for season 4, Warner Brothers failed to definitively green light a 5th season. JMS crammed the planned 5th season plotline into season 4. Season 5 is a Goddamned mess because of that. It’s also pretty good, so shut up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Slamhound posted:

The show had a 5 season arc, but during production for season 4, Warner Brothers failed to definitively green light a 5th season. JMS crammed the planned 5th season plotline into season 4. Season 5 is a Goddamned mess because of that. It’s also pretty good, so shut up.

It doesn't matter who's responsible, the show was talked up ITT as one that really "sticks the landing" and I disagree on the basis that the final season spent more time on pointless subplots and setting up plotlines that never got a payoff than it did on actually resolving anything. They could have cut the Byron plotline entirely or shrunk it down to a couple of eps to keep Alexander's motivations, cut Garibaldi's second relapse plotline, cut pointless bottle episodes like Day of the Dead, and started the season with the Centauri arc instead of bringing it in around episode 15 and they would have had time to actually finish it and do something interesting with Garibaldi, Alexander, and the telepaths instead of spending 10 episodes on Byron alternating between smugly speaking in parables and being insufferably emo

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Wafflecopper posted:

It doesn't matter who's responsible, the show was talked up ITT as one that really "sticks the landing" and I disagree on the basis that the final season spent more time on pointless subplots and setting up plotlines that never got a payoff than it did on actually resolving anything. They could have cut the Byron plotline entirely or shrunk it down to a couple of eps to keep Alexander's motivations, cut Garibaldi's second relapse plotline, cut pointless bottle episodes like Day of the Dead, and started the season with the Centauri arc instead of bringing it in around episode 15 and they would have had time to actually finish it and do something interesting with Garibaldi, Alexander, and the telepaths instead of spending 10 episodes on Byron alternating between smugly speaking in parables and being insufferably emo

Honestly the new main character being an unrepentant Wermacht commander who gives a self-righteous speech to our heroes for daring to question her decision to keep supporting Hitler through his many atrocities out of "patriotism," and getting a standing ovation from the background extras for doing it did more to make me despise Season 5 than a hundred Byrons

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

yeah that also sucked. it at least took up a fraction of the screen time not that it's in any way excusable

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Just watched all of The Plot Against America. I really enjoyed it but yikes. Glad I didn’t watch this before November.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Wafflecopper posted:

It does stick the landing in S4. Because of the way it was made and released for people that watched it when it was on air, S5 felt more like a coda. Byron's plotline was a mess because they didn't have Ivanova and the rest is "rape of the shire" stuff with Centauri Prime and Sheridan being in over his head. You see how the universe doesn't just end but the wheels are turning onto the next thing which you can happily imagine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since when does B5 S5 not suck? We've been talking about how bad it is since it aired. Get that revisionist history bullshit out of here.

Next you guys will start saying Crusade was good.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
When people talk about B5 sticking the landing, they mean S4. Nobody thinks of S5 as the real ending.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Based on some recs from this thread, we're starting to go through The Magicians. It's definitely not what I expected (which was basically a slightly more serious or violent version of The Order). It's got a really unique feel which I like, which is something since it's going out of it's way to make it hard to like most of the characters so far, maybe Penny and Julia excepted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Based on some recs from this thread, we're starting to go through The Magicians. It's definitely not what I expected (which was basically a slightly more serious or violent version of The Order). It's got a really unique feel which I like, which is something since it's going out of it's way to make it hard to like most of the characters so far, maybe Penny and Julia excepted.

It's going to slap you in the face soon and you'll either love it or hate it. I was hate watching the show and without warning I realized it was my favorite show airing at the time. Margo is the GOAT.

And their musical episodes are unparalleled.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It's going to slap you in the face soon and you'll either love it or hate it. I was hate watching the show and without warning I realized it was my favorite show airing at the time. Margo is the GOAT.

And their musical episodes are unparalleled.

That sounds cool-- Margo's been the sidekick of a secondary character so far. We definitely LOL'ed at getting everyone to sing Taylor Swift in the mental hospital dream . I'm only up to traveling to England to the author's house... this one kind of resonated because that seems to be a not-uncommon thing that the people who wrote books you liked as a kid turn out to be creepy af or otherwise lovely

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When you get there you will know, but

Queen really shows the vocal talent in the cast.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Halt and Catch Fire is the last show I watched that stuck the landing. It stuck it so well I started a rewatch the next day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

Halt and Catch Fire is the last show I watched that stuck the landing. It stuck it so well I started a rewatch the next day.

I couldn’t get through the second season. I just didn’t care about any of these people.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Retrowave Joe posted:

:hellyeah:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I couldn’t get through the second season. I just didn’t care about any of these people.

Season 2 is the weakest season by far, and to me it’s because the main crew are mostly off each doing their own thing, with one exception. They find their footing again with season 3 and it just gets better from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Knowing that Vikings is coming to end and that I can't run AC: Valhalla I've turned to The Last Kingdom for my Old English warfare fix. I've got through the first two seasons in a week and just start3d the third.

For some reason, I've disliked the both the start of season 2 and 3 but end up enjoying them. I feel like the show struggles with reintroducing where everything is at. Speaking of introductions, the previously ons are both super helpful and also the most cringe things ever. "I am Uthred son of Uthred" "Destiny is always". Uuugh.